PDA

View Full Version : [2000][Lizardmen]

Wolf 11x
26-02-2009, 22:28
Hey all,

This is my first list I'm posting on these boards and I'm having a bit of trouble. I used Lizards extensively in 6th, but never really took a Slann as I found them to be too expensive. With the reduced points cost, I definitely want to take one now and recently invested in Temple Guard as well as a brand new Slann model.

With that said, here is what I have come up with so far:

Lizardmen – 2000 Points

Slann – 440
Two Disciplines (Focused Rumination & Focus of Mystery), Cupped Hands of the Old Ones, Power Stone, Dispel Scroll, Battle Standard Bearer

Skink Priest – 425
Level 2, Power Stone, Plaque of Tepok, Engine of the Gods

12 Saurus Warriors – 144
Spears

12 Saurus Warriors – 144
Spears

10 Skinks – 70
Blowpipes

10 Skinks – 70
Blowpipes

16 Temple Guard – 277
Musician, Standard Bearer

5 Cold One Riders – 195
Standard Bearer

Stegadon – 235

Total - 2000

I don't know if one Stegadon and a unit of CoRs are enough for flanking purposes either. Also, I have roughly 8 Kroxigors, 3 Terradons, and 3 Salamanders that I can use.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

SamChaosInc
27-02-2009, 09:54
I'd recommend ditching the temple guard (gives your Slann better maneuverability) and using the points to bulk up your core, make those saurus units up to 18 for a start, and give them musicians & standards.

Maybe stick a skink chief with warspear on the stegadon, make it ancient if you can afford it.

If you want to use your EotG's aggressively with the other steg it might be worth giving him the 2+ ward.

Sticking the blessed totem (25 points, +d6 to your charge, one use) on your cold ones can be useful, depends on remaining points and preference.

You say you only just got the temple guard though, so maybe my plan is less viable if you're set on using them.

Jormi_Boced
27-02-2009, 14:41
I liket the TG. Maybe throw some salamanders in for some range help and they can be good in CC as well in the flank or rear.

Spirit
27-02-2009, 15:17
give all the power stones to your slann, he can use his free dice with them so you fet 3 dice for 20 points.

Wolf 11x
28-02-2009, 03:11
I liket the TG. Maybe throw some salamanders in for some range help and they can be good in CC as well in the flank or rear.

I can't seem to weasel out any more points anywhere.

As for moving the Power Stone, he already has 90 points of magic items.

Oh and yes, I'm set on using my brand new Temple Guard. :rolleyes:

kroq'gar
28-02-2009, 03:49
I dont think the saurus are big enough- any frontal assault and i reacon they'd lose- your better collapsing them into 1 larger unit and taking some 10 man skink blocks for support.

Spirit
28-02-2009, 06:42
I can't seem to weasel out any more points anywhere.

As for moving the Power Stone, he already has 90 points of magic items.

Oh and yes, I'm set on using my brand new Temple Guard. :rolleyes:

sorry, i wasnt clear. i meant give his scroll to the mage and the meages power stone to the slann.

Wolf 11x
28-02-2009, 13:50
I wasn't particularly clear! Glad you realized "he" meant "the Slann". Sometimes I think one thing and type another entirely.

Per suggestions, here is a revised list!

Lizardmen – 2000 Points

Slann – 420
Two Disciplines (Focused Rumination & Focus of Mystery), Cupped Hands of the Old Ones, Power Stone, Dispel Scroll, Battle Standard Bearer

Skink Priest – 425
Level 2, Plaque of Tepok, Engine of the Gods

20 Saurus Warriors – 258
Spears, Musician, Standard Bearer

10 Skink Skirmishers – 70

10 Skinks – 50

16 Temple Guard – 277
Musician, Standard Bearer

5 Cold One Riders – 195
Standard Bearer

Stegadon – 235

Total - 2000

I combined the two 12-man units into one 20-man unit with an added Banner & Musician. In order to add a unit of 10 Skinks for baiting and whatnot, I have dropped one of the power stones.

Thoughts? I'll be playing a game with this list this afternoon.

Spirit
28-02-2009, 14:12
make sure to tell us how it goes. what army are you facing and which lore are you going with on the slann?

be wary of your ancient in commbat. it needs to charge in order to get its points back but be wary of somone hitting the off switch by killing the priest.

remember lore of lifeand light can heal your stegadons!

Wolf 11x
28-02-2009, 14:24
make sure to tell us how it goes. what army are you facing and which lore are you going with on the slann?

be wary of your ancient in commbat. it needs to charge in order to get its points back but be wary of somone hitting the off switch by killing the priest.

remember lore of lifeand light can heal your stegadons!

I'll take that as a thumbs up for the list. :p

I'll be playing Ogre Kingdoms and I will most definitely be selecting the Lore of Death. Between a spell that gives him -3 LD, 2 magic missiles, and the spell that strikes all enemies within a certain radius, I believe I'll be set.

My opponent will either field 3 butchers or none at all. It is more likely that he'll take none this particular game. He has been contemplating to attempt a pure melee list. He believes he can rely on his magic items to protect him from casting long enough to reach combat. Also, since he knows I'll be magic heavy, he believes this will be a good test of his theories. Our regular gaming group is an O&G player, a magic-heavy HE / Vampire Count player, the Ogre / Wood Elf player I will be facing today, and myself with Lizards / Dwarves.

I have read the spell lists extensively and have done quite a bit of research. Time to actually put my efforts to use! I'm sure if I thrash his Ogres he'll immediately want a rematch with his Wood Elves. :rolleyes: That is his "competitive" army.

Thoughtless
28-02-2009, 18:11
The temple Guard are one of the best tar pit units now with being stubborn and ItP. I've been toying with 20 in a unit, as I expect them to be engaged in hth promptly. This would be my suggestion for your army.

You have the right idea with the extra stegadon for a counter punch, as it can shoot while you wait for the enemy to approach. Plus unit strength 10 & terror are more likely enough to tip combats into your favor.

I like the change you made with only 2 'blocks' for fighting. Pity the points don't allow for a scar vet with the Saurus.

As usual watch your deployment, as your lack of support units can allow cavalry to roll your flanks. Are you considering a refused flank set up for most games?

Magic phase should be fun, so good luck!

Wolf 11x
28-02-2009, 19:57
Revised list

Lizardmen – 2000 Points

Slann – 420
Two Disciplines (Focused Rumination & Focus of Mystery), Cupped Hands of the Old Ones, Dispel Scroll, Battle Standard Bearer

Skink Priest – 405

20 Saurus Warriors – 258

16 Temple Guard – 270
Standard Bearer

5 Cold One Riders – 195
Standard Bearer

Stegadon – 235

Salamander – 75

Total – 1998

Game went well and I won. There wasn't much too it. Good charges from the Stegadons and Cold Ones really won the game. The Slann rolled horrible; 3 miscast results in as many turns. The first turn I ignored a miscast thanks to the Cupped Hands. Second turn I didn't even get a magic phase because I miscast on the first spell and rolled an 8. Third turn I rolled a miscast followed by an 11 when attempting to cast Doom & Darkness.

I'm dropping the Skink block as they are completely worthless. Now the list feels pretty solid.

Wolf 11x
02-03-2009, 01:31
Nothin? I guess it's good to go.

Spirit
02-03-2009, 01:36
Skink blocks have their uses, you just have to know how to position them. They are the best throwaway unit you have.

Id keep one near my saurus if i were you. I dont see you dropping the slann because he didn't do well :P

Wolf 11x
02-03-2009, 13:19
I guess I don't get how to employ them effectively, especially against an army sprinting across the field at me full bore. I think I'd rather pay an extra 20 points and have another unit of skirmishers. They can also be used for baiting and fleeing but they can all shoot and are more maneuverable. Not sure what I'm missing here.

At any rate, I want to try a lone Salamander and see just how effective it can be. Hopefully people won't deem it worthy of much attention until after it has caused a few panic checks.

Oh and that Slann cost far too much $ to toss after one bad game. :p

Wolf 11x
03-03-2009, 15:29
One last bump to see if I get any good input. Thanks in advance.

Necronoxz
04-03-2009, 11:01
the slann is nice :) I alway's play with a slann and he worked out alway's.... with the 6th edition your misscasts could be ignored haha :p. Mayby you should consider to take the disipline: soul of stone. so you can re-roll your misscast and stay in the magic phase if you roll a bit badly ;). In my oppionon loze the BSB on your slann... I am not a big fan from cold one cavalary so you can make a pack of 3 razardon's or salamander's. Just your call. how is the steggie working out now? becouse in the 6th it was a little crappy becouse of the US.

Dead Man Walking
04-03-2009, 11:41
Loose the BSB on the slaan? :wtf: You want to ditch a 25 point item that allows stubborn 9 guys to reroll thier leadership if they should happen to freakishly roll a 10+? Lets not forget that the slaan can't be killed in hth like other bsb's and he's the best bsb in the whole game.

Necronoxz
04-03-2009, 13:27
oei... silly mistake from me... I forgot the fact that you can reroll your break test. But annyhow if you loze the combat with your tempel guards they still can roll on a 9. If they loze combat next turn they strike last becouse the I 2 ;). so more lost's will come. but I think if you reach that point you will loze the battle annyhow!

Wolf 11x
04-03-2009, 13:44
I thought Temple Guard were stubborn LD 8 or could use LD 9 modified as normal? They cannot use the Slann's leadership unmodified as he himself is not stubborn. Right?

Spirit
04-03-2009, 14:17
I thought Temple Guard were stubborn LD 8 or could use LD 9 modified as normal? They cannot use the Slann's leadership unmodified as he himself is not stubborn. Right?

When you combine a slann with temple guard, BOTH of them get the stubborn rule, thus you can use the highest leadership stubborn, which is the slanns on 9. Its stupidly effective, just march your slann right up into their army and watch them try to kill you.

Wolf 11x
04-03-2009, 20:08
Unless I'm mistaken, p. 47 clearly states:

While there is a Slann Mage-Priest within the unit, the Temple Guard are Immune to Psychology and Stubborn, as described in the main rulebook.

This makes no mention of the Slann gaining Stubborn or Immune to Psychology. The Slann's rules don't make any mention of it becoming Stubborn either.

I know in 6th the Slann wasn't Stubborn while the Temple Guard were... not to say that really changes anything.

+++ON TOPIC+++

The list looks good? I need a name for my Slann. :D

blackjack
04-03-2009, 21:38
Only the TG get stubborn the slann does not. They roll on a stubborn 8.

My only crit of your list is that it lacks magic weapons. Wraiths and other etherial units with good anti magic backup will hurt you badly.

Spirit
05-03-2009, 00:17
Well thats me told, guess its just everyone going on about them being stubborn at Ld 9 that i got carried away and didnt check! lol.

Wolf 11x
09-03-2009, 22:54
Revised List

Lizardmen 2000 Points

Slann 410
Two Disciplines (Focused Rumination & Focus of Mystery), Bane Head, Power Stone, Dispel Scroll, Battle Standard Bearer

Skink Priest 405

20 Saurus Warriors 258

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

10 Skink Skirmishers 70

16 Temple Guard 270
Standard Bearer

5 Cold One Riders 195
Standard Bearer

Stegadon 235

Salamander 80
Extra Handler

Total 1993

Thoughts?

jigplums
10-03-2009, 10:27
my only question would be is the skink priest on engine worth as much as your slann? its ALOT of points, but i really like the idea of them and would seem to be really good

Jormi_Boced
10-03-2009, 12:34
my only question would be is the skink priest on engine worth as much as your slann? its ALOT of points, but i really like the idea of them and would seem to be really good

In my list he is more than my Slann. I think it is worth the points. It is kind of like two different models. If the Priest dies the Stegg can keep going and vise versa.

Chakax
10-03-2009, 13:39
I think 2x 400 point heroes is a bit mad at 2,000. 8/900 points should really stretch to 3 or 4 characters. I know how appealing the EOTG is, but what power do you intend to use?

Wolf 11x
10-03-2009, 13:47
Madness?! This is Lustria!!!

I try to think of it as 525 points because the EotG Ancient Stegadon is 290 points. So far, I typically use the 5+ Ward Save from shooting which covers at least my Saurus & Temple Guard. Once I get into combat, I begin to use "The Burning Alignment".

Additionally, the EotG gives my Priest a third power die and another dispel die, which have helped out a lot. By giving him the Plaque of Tepok, he is essentially a level 3 Wizard. He and the Slann lay down a lot of power dice and some nice spells.

He seems to be working quite well. I also love making a combined charge forward with the Ancient Stegadon and a unit of Saurus. The opponent must suffer D6 S4/5 hits without armor saves (in the magic phase) followed by another D6+1 S6 impact hits.

I was wary at first but so far I love it. Everyone in my gaming group typically take quite a few points in characters so I'm not completely alone. :D Tyrant & 3 Butchers, Vampire Lord + Wight + Necromancer + Vampire, etc.

Wolf 11x
14-03-2009, 14:47
Anything else? I'd rather bump than start a new thread. :D

Thruster
15-03-2009, 07:09
Just wondering how did the Cold One Rider and Lone Stegadon fared? I think 2 skirmisher skinks are not enough to support both your Anvil (saurus block) and your Hammer (COR and Steg) units in the same time.

Salamander might be able to support, but I never use one, so I don't know how they work. Although I usually support my cavalry with flyers, so Terradons might work. They can zoom in to take out warmachines, march block, drop stones, and flank/rear charge negating your opponent's ranks.

Wolf 11x
18-03-2009, 03:08
I'm debating to go the melee route like I used to during 6th. I am thinking I simply don't roll good enough to be a mage. You don't want the details from today. :(

Potential revised list

Sacred Host of the Solar-City

Saurus Oldblood - 426
Sword of Striking, Glyph Necklace, Light Armor, Shield
Carnosaur

Skink Priest - 115
2 Dispel Scrolls

20 Saurus Warriors - 252
Spears

20 Saurus Warriors - 252
Spears

10 Skink Skirmishers - 70

10 Skink Skirmishers - 70

5 Cold One Riders - 195
Standard Bearer

Stegadon - 235

Stegadon - 235

Salamander - 75

Salamander - 75

Total - 2000

Thanks in advance.

kroq'gar
18-03-2009, 10:07
Give skink diadem and he'll generate 3 disp dice & still have a scroll.

Tempted for a razedon instead of a sally, much more of a deterrant.

Wolf 11x
18-03-2009, 13:09
I thought the wording from Diadem stated he could store his own unused power dice? Wouldn't that mean he is storing one for a total of 4 DD and 1 Scroll? In that case, I'd rather have 2 scrolls. Otherwise, I have to upgrade him to a Level 2 to store 2 dice for 5 DD & 1 Scroll (which is significantly better than 4 DD in my opinion).

Spirit
18-03-2009, 18:20
I thought the wording from Diadem stated he could store his own unused power dice? Wouldn't that mean he is storing one for a total of 4 DD and 1 Scroll? In that case, I'd rather have 2 scrolls. Otherwise, I have to upgrade him to a Level 2 to store 2 dice for 5 DD & 1 Scroll (which is significantly better than 4 DD in my opinion).

Your exactly right. 6dd on an EOTG! best magic defence in under 2k lol.

Wolf 11x
19-03-2009, 03:09
I don't think I have the points to spare for an EotG though. I am trying to be quite offensive.

Spirit, I'm interested to hear your take on the list.

Spirit
19-03-2009, 10:23
Hmm, well i would drop one salamander and get an engine of the gods instead of a regular stegadon, i use one in every game and it has not let me down yet.

On the oldblood. he is actually pretty weak. I originally ran mine with +2 attacks and the maiming shiled (8-9 attacks) and i was STILL losing combats. I've found that the revered blade of tzunki (+1 S and no armour saves) is much more reliable. I usually give him the talismen of itzl aswell (2+ ward vs first wound suffered) this is because on average, you only pass 1/3 of 5+ wards, so thats one extra wound, this gives me one almost guaranteed pass. But the 5+ ward save could easily do better, mine just protects vs cannons!

Do you have musicians and standards in your units? I think they are a must, even with cold blooded i find myself constantly failing Ld tests and saurus are usually very good at staying in combat with the extra +1

Emissary
19-03-2009, 13:07
Do you have musicians and standards in your units? I think they are a must, even with cold blooded i find myself constantly failing Ld tests and saurus are usually very good at staying in combat with the extra +1
Agreed. I'd drop 2 saurus out of each unit to make them 3x6 and use the points for the standard and musician.

I've done very well with the oldblood on the carnosaur with the enchanted shield and blade of realities. It is expensive, but he's done excellent with it. He's also done well on a cold one with the piranha blade (I'm in love with the piranha blade).

As for the EotG, yeah the 400+ points is hard to swallow, especially with the 400 pt frog or carnosaur but the way I view it is that if you'd normally take a stegadon or ancient stegadon and shaman, you're just combining them. Yes, it's coming out of your character allowance, but you're still spending the points on the same things.

Spirit
19-03-2009, 13:10
As for the EotG, yeah the 400+ points is hard to swallow, especially with the 400 pt frog or carnosaur but the way I view it is that if you'd normally take a stegadon or ancient stegadon and shaman, you're just combining them. Yes, it's coming out of your character allowance, but you're still spending the points on the same things.

And on top of that, its improving the ranged capabilities and your ranged defence (by a lot!) as well as your magical capabilities. The only downside is that you cant just run it into any unit, you have to make sure that the skink wont be challenged by anything more than a unit champion. They have a habbit of squishing quite easily.

All in all an EOTG is a must have imo.

Wolf 11x
19-03-2009, 15:14
Gah, 2000 isn't enough!

If I use an EotG, I could run something like this:

Sacred Host of the Solar-City

Saurus Oldblood - 455
The Blade of Realities, Enchanted Shield, Light Armor
Carnosaur

Skink Priest - 440
Level 2, Diadem of Power, Dispel Scroll
Engine of the Gods

18 Saurus Warriors - 234

18 Saurus Warriors - 234

Skink Skirmishers - 70

Skink Skirmishers - 70

5 Cold One Riders - 175

Stegadon - 235

Salamander - 80
Extra Handler

Total - 1993

Here are my own thoughts:

1) My movement trays are magnetized and 5x4 because I've used them since 6th ed. I'm usually pretty lazy, but I have been painting this for the first time ever so I guess I have to make some 6x3 trays now as well. :( The thought pains me. Worth it though for 24 S4 attacks? :D

2) The Cold One Riders don't have a Standard Bearer. I don't know how essential this is as I've never had it really become a factor in a charge. 10 WS4 S5 attacks usually gets the job done just fine. That isn't even counting the Cold Ones themselves! If I need one, I could drop the Enchanted Shield and the Extra Handler on the Salamander. Thoughts?

3) I could drop the Stegadon and switch him for another 5 CoR unit without a banner. This would allow me to add 2 more Saurus to each unit to get them back up to 20. :evilgrin: I don't think that's a good idea though.

4) How do you use the EotG in such a list? Keep him next to the 2 Saurus blocks? It felt easier with my Slann list.

5) I now have 6 DD and 1 scroll. Far better in my opinion.

6) 7 points leftover, any use?

Whitehorn
19-03-2009, 16:04
From my experience, TG+Slann is great, they hold out very well in combat and the Slann can always cast magic despite that.

EOTG is too awesome... If you sit in a tight formation you get 1-2 turns of decent shooting defence and then a nice offensive spell once opposing lines meet up.

Personally I would take a few more models in the Saurus units. Maybe drop one unit and make the other 18-20 strong.

At this point I saw your revised list! (lol)

That's very close to my 2250 list.
I don't know if I like cold ones at all. A stegadon has so many more advantages and endurance.

Keep the BSB on the Slann.

I think you need either Terradons or Salamanders for some ranged non-magic offensive. The Terradons make a great anti-scout/lone hero/flyer/artillery.

Wolf 11x
19-03-2009, 17:13
I think you missed the last revised list. :D

Emissary
19-03-2009, 17:25
I'd drop the stegadon and extra handler on the new list and add a scar veteran with a cold one, shield, light armor and piranha blade. This would leave you 99 points. At this point I'd probably buy a standard in the COR and salamander. This would put your list at 1996.

I'd really like to get a champion into that COR unit as well. Then if you charge a unit that has a hero or mage then what you do is not call out a challenge. If the hero or mage challenges, accept with the scar veteran. If the champion challenges, accept with your champion and let your veteran still wail on their hero. The other great thing about the piranha blade is if you challenge a champion, it's stupidly easy to get the max +5 overkill bonus out of a challenge.

edit: the 6x3 is the best formation I've found with the spear saurus. 100% worth it.

Wolf 11x
20-03-2009, 00:10
I'll consider it. Seems like an awful lot of points in characters.

Spirit
20-03-2009, 00:26
I'll consider it. Seems like an awful lot of points in characters.

For me, lizards work better the less characters you use. I use 3 at 2k, 2 of which are one stegadons and one of which is on a carnosaur. Hasnt let me down yet!

But honestly, the more core you get with lizards the better a position you are in. 4 characters is way too much.

Wolf 11x
20-03-2009, 02:34
I'll assume the list seems good then! :D

I'll be testing it out for the first time tomorrow. Looks like it's me & Ogres again vs. 4000 points of O&G.

Wolf 11x
21-03-2009, 03:22
Game went quite well. The only major drawback was that our opponent took 15 fanatics... which really, really made for a boring game. We wasted almost 2 turns taking them out with Skinks / Gnoblars. I like the list a lot but I'm still unsure of how good it is for team games. I'm sure I can dominate 1 on 1. :evilgrin: I was extremely disappointed with the Blade of Realities against Gorbad. I hit him 4 times in one round of combat and he passed all 4 (two of which on 10s). The Carnosaur actually finished him off.

Any more suggestions at this point?

kroq'gar
21-03-2009, 16:37
Drop BoR & take revered... much better.

Wolf 11x
21-03-2009, 22:50
Problem is that Revered still doesn't help me take down characters. Oldbloods are simply not the best character killers.

The BoR lets him destroy plenty of weird monsters with low LD. Additionally, the Carnosaur is great for Knights. Simply put, the BoR makes him diverse and therefore far more useful.

I can't wait to see the look on my friends face when I vaporize his Varghulf.

Desert Rain
22-03-2009, 12:55
6) 7 points leftover, any use?
Another Skink perhaps?

Wolf 11x
22-03-2009, 15:24
What?! :confused: I can be quite OCD and I don't know that I can bring myself to field a unit of 11. :eek::eek:

crazypyro15
23-03-2009, 02:04
Preety good but may i reccomend ditching the Cold ones for more Saurus! They really tear things up in Combat.

Spirit
23-03-2009, 14:32
Problem is that Revered still doesn't help me take down characters. Oldbloods are simply not the best character killers.

The BoR lets him destroy plenty of weird monsters with low LD. Additionally, the Carnosaur is great for Knights. Simply put, the BoR makes him diverse and therefore far more useful.

I can't wait to see the look on my friends face when I vaporize his Varghulf.

The carnosaur is there to be a character killer. and S6 with no armour saves means youl easily cause one or 2 wounds on characers with the oldblood.

always remember spells 1 and 2 on heavens. Best spells in the lore. 2+ to wound with the carnosaur (and maybe the oldblood) and you get to re roll all 1's!

Emissary
23-03-2009, 14:48
The problem with the carnosaur as a character killer is its WS3. It means that against the better lords it only hits on a 5. Spells can help, but by itself it can struggle a bit (especially if they get lucky on a ward save or two).

The BoR can be one of those win big or lose big weapons. In my last game against an OK army, my opponents Ironguts made all 4 Ld tests (plus my carnosaur rolled 1s for all three of its D3 wound rolls against them) while in an earlier game against a daemon army my friend's battle standard of nurgle herald failed 3 LD tests agaisnt that same weapon in a challenge (giving me 6 wounds for the challenge).

Also, there isn't a giant difference between the Revered Blade and Burning Blade to justify the cost IMO if you want to use it more for rnf. S5 vs S6 isn't 50 points huge vs most infantry/knights and the no armor saves vs -4 means most stuff isn't going to get a good save anyway. Plus flaming attacks are becoming better with the regeneration running around more and more.

Spirit
23-03-2009, 15:13
The problem with the carnosaur as a character killer is its WS3. It means that against the better lords it only hits on a 5. Spells can help, but by itself it can struggle a bit (especially if they get lucky on a ward save or two).

The BoR can be one of those win big or lose big weapons. In my last game against an OK army, my opponents Ironguts made all 4 Ld tests (plus my carnosaur rolled 1s for all three of its D3 wound rolls against them) while in an earlier game against a daemon army my friend's battle standard of nurgle herald failed 3 LD tests agaisnt that same weapon in a challenge (giving me 6 wounds for the challenge).

Also, there isn't a giant difference between the Revered Blade and Burning Blade to justify the cost IMO if you want to use it more for rnf. S5 vs S6 isn't 50 points huge vs most infantry/knights and the no armor saves vs -4 means most stuff isn't going to get a good save anyway. Plus flaming attacks are becoming better with the regeneration running around more and more.

all the reasons you put out are reasons for taking the revered blade. this is because it's reliabale. Its always going to go through that 1+ save character and its always going to be easier to wound said character.

the blade of realities leaves your oldblood too unprotected imo. And the burning blade only makes him a moderate threat.

the burning blade, for a saving of 45 points (over the revered blade) means you cannot guarantee they fail their saves, you cannot guarantee more wounds. And a guarantee for me is worth 45 points. If my oldblood's buring blade "gets unlucky" and you lose over 500Vp's (assuming he is the general) or your blade of realities gets killing blow'n (blowed??) then i would scream out to be able to pay for the extra guarantee that you have. the flaming attacks i cannot argue with. But i still think the other bonuses are worth 45 points.

and yes the carnosaur only has Ws3, but youl always hit once. And when it does wound, it hurts. even if you only cause one wound to their lord. S6 and no armour saves can easily manage 2 wounds. which is generally all you need.

And besides, what else would you give the oldblood? I find it very difficult to spend 100 worthwhile points on a carnold without buying a decent magic weapon.

Lastly, your on a M7 creature that is not a large target. There is never going to be a need to frontal charge the enemy general if you think you cannot kill them. Lizarmen armies can run rings round ranked up units and an enemy on a dragon can be poisoned to death. and once the carnosaur hits a flank, it wont stop untill 2 or 3 units are dead.

Wolf 11x
23-03-2009, 20:21
and yes the carnosaur only has Ws3, but youl always hit once. And when it does wound, it hurts. even if you only cause one wound to their lord. S6 and no armour saves can easily manage 2 wounds. which is generally all you need.

You won't necessarily deal a wound though. If you're charging him, you've got 4 attacks needing 5s. It is possible you could be frenzied when you get to their character but that is very situational and very avoidable. The Carnosaur can help against characters but it's hardly a given that he is going to get a wound through.

I love the Carnosaur but I absolutely avoid Lord level combat characters. Almost every other character will hit the Oldblood on 3s and there are plenty of other spiffy weapons out there.

Simply put, I love the Blade of Realities for destroying oddities, and the Carno / Oldblood can rip through units regardless of weapon choice. That is his purpose as I see fit and that is how I utilize him. :D

All that aside, I actually killed Grimgor Saturday when one wound made it through his 1+ armor and 5+ ward save. :D I then rolled a 5 for the number of wounds. Of course, my Oldblood was killed outright and this left my Carnosaur stupid the rest of the game. :( I did the same thing to Gorbad the day before, though that time the Oldblood easily lived.