PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it to make a 13th company army?

Triszin The Wrath God
27-02-2009, 00:36
is it worth it for me to continue making my 13th company wulfen army or should i wait till the new dex if/when comes out to see if a pure 13th company army is still viable?

sydbridges
27-02-2009, 01:46
is it worth it for me to continue making my 13th company wulfen army or should i wait till the new dex if/when comes out to see if a pure 13th company army is still viable?

Are you looking to play mostly in more formal settings (strangers, tournaments) or amongst friends? If the first, I'd wait to see if they'll get a tournament legal army list in the new codex on the quite possible chance that they won't. If the second, as long as they're cool with playing against an EoT army and you want to build it, I don't see how it wouldn't be worthwhile.

HsojVvad
27-02-2009, 01:58
I say start now. Who knows when or if they will get a new codex. Just don't commit too much so if a new codex does come out, it dosn't make your army null and void.

Hicks
27-02-2009, 02:04
As said, if you know players that will let you use it go ahead and start right now. The list isn't exactly the most abusive ever, so chances are people ain't going to mind.

olmsted
27-02-2009, 03:14
as long as the eye of terror list never changes and you still have the wolf lord, priests, and anything else you borrow from space wolves codex the army is still useful and useable.

so build your 13th company and watch as the wolves of ancient fenris destroy your enemy with a malicious howl on your lips brother. and if you feel like adding tanks just use codex space wolves.

MrGiggles
27-02-2009, 03:24
I don't think you lose out starting 13th Company now. There seems to be some question as to whether Wulfen will be in the actual Space Wolves dex, but folks here are correct. So long as the 13th Company list stays the same, you don't have to worry.

As to the rest of the list, things like bikers, Grey Slayers, Long Fangs, Scouts and HQ choices are still going to be usable with a more standard Space Wolves force if you decide to go that way.

Realistically though, the most problematic thing you're likely to run into is the Wulfen if you decide to use them. The models seem to be fewer and further between than they once were, which means you either pay a hefty price or you convert your own. The second option has some fantastic possibilities so long as you want to go that way. Personally, I'm a fan of the Grey Slayers idea (looted CSM gear in Space Wolves' colours). The conversions aren't that difficult to do being Marine to Marine, but they're still characterful and distinctly different from most loyalist chapters.

Dr.Clock
27-02-2009, 03:30
It is always worth it to build the army you want, and not the army that the rulebook SAYS you should have.

13th company are close enough to both SM and CSM to warrant using either of those codecies.

Space Wolves itself is probably just around the corner.

In friendly environments, using Wulfen should be no big deal.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Triszin The Wrath God
27-02-2009, 04:12
well i would like to use it in tournaments, but i do have a group of friends that i play with regularly.

i already have 22 wulfen made (scratch built from various parts)
3 bikes, (gaint wolves with riders)
rune priest and wolf priest

olmsted
27-02-2009, 04:18
just ask if you can. i used a 13th list at hubcon down here in mississippi. you wont be able to use it for tournaments like hard boyz or gts though.

Miggidy Mack
27-02-2009, 05:33
If nothing else build a Space Wolves army that you convert to look like 13th company. That way if you do get a new list in the new codex you're set, if not, you have one awesome looking Space Wolves army!

bielmic
27-02-2009, 16:44
i'd say start now on your 13th company but don't make anything that can't be easily proxied into a normal marine/space wolves army. having chaos armor bits doesn't mean that it can't just be used as a standard marine.

Lord Damocles
27-02-2009, 16:46
The Chaos Marine list works rather well for 13th company.

Dr.Clock
27-02-2009, 19:44
I think that's the best bet as well...

Possessed as Wulfen sounds about right to me.

Khorne bikers??

And massive units of Undivided CSMs, a few berzerkers, and some special-heavy havocs for good measure.

CSM infantry horde FTW.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

olmsted
27-02-2009, 19:45
nah the 13th company list and space wolves codex works best

gunbunny242
27-02-2009, 21:08
In the new white dwarf there is an ad for a campaign weekend that states that codex:EoT is valid, so even in pick up games you should be ok. Plus older dexes are not as powerful as the new ones, at least with points costs, so people shouldn't cry cheese.

It will be a nice army, something different, and easy to do counts as if needed.
Good luck