PDA

View Full Version : 2250 first lizard list

Foegnasher
27-02-2009, 00:53
this is the list i have settled on, soon to start saveing to purchase. please help with any suggestions.

oldblood, carnosaur, lightarmor, enchanted shield, blade of realities (445)
skink priest, engine of the gods, diadem of power, dispel scroll (440)
skink chief, stegadon, stegadon war spear (340)

2 x 10 skink skirmishers (70 ea.)
2 x 20 saurus, spears, full command (275 ea.)
2 x 3 terradons (90 ea)
1 x 5 cold one cav (175)

2250, 74 models, 8 drops, 5 power, 4 dispel

will it work? is it too cheezy? help!

Foegnasher
27-02-2009, 15:02
hey i need help here, guys, i need someone to lay some serious old one wisdom on me. can this work, the idea being to survive long enough to get in CC and ruin someones day.

The SkaerKrow
27-02-2009, 15:47
Doesn't seem particularly cheesey to me. It looks like a solid entry-level Lizardman list. Not everyone is wild about Teradons, but otherwise it's composed of undeniably sound unit choices.

Your strategy seems to be bring just enough support units and anti-magic to nullify your opponent's support and magic, and then force him to fight you outright in combat, which you're superior at. Straight forward, but more or less viable. Extremely specialized lists (gunlines, heavy magic) may give you trouble, but that's true of nearly every list these days.

Roxors45
27-02-2009, 16:10
hey i need help here, guys, i need someone to lay some serious old one wisdom on me. can this work, the idea being to survive long enough to get in CC and ruin someones day.

I thought you played Skaven........

On another note Foebandwagon (ha! See what I did there? Clever), the army could work if you play it right and depending on the opponents army. Your hammers are the Cold one Cavalry, Carnosaur and Chief on ancient with a lesser extent given to the priest. The biggest bane of Lizards is shooting so you'll want to get in combat quick. Those hammer units will, but those Saurus anvils won't. You'll have your expensive units out in front fighting your opponent's army without support. Also, if the opponent has shooting or warmachines, your exposing your expensive units to it. Last thing you Carni needs is a cannonball in the grill. This might force you to drop all centrally, in the AOE of the Engines 5+ Ward, but that hampers the movement and flanking potential of your hammers.

Lets say you work them at the extreme flanks. Having them loop around takes movement so they should meet (theoryhammer here) at the flanks of the engaged enemy (engaged by your Saurus of course). The problem arises in that if either flank encounters resistance (Chaos cav, fiends, other gribblies) and can't join the party at the right time. The Saurus can't hold forever, without flanking help, against elite infantry.

I suggest the Denied flank or Abandoned Flank maneouver. Drop your Saurus blocks where everyone knows where they're going, in the middle. Screen them with your skinks and you have 4 drops that don't hint at your intention. Then throw you engine, Carni, Saurus and Ancient all on a flank (preferrably their weaker one) and overload it. It will force your opponent to adjust and dictate his movement. Your making him play your game now :). You could also do the Abandoned flank by setting up terradons on a flank hoping to draw some units to line up against them. Turn 1 you fly them into a wood or to the extreme other flank with your superior movement, thus leaving what WAS their opposition playing catch up.

Lastly with the army list. I think everything looks good, but I'd tweak a couple things. First, those 20 man units of Saurus are 270 pts, not 275 (12x20=240+30(command)=270). Also 2 units of terradons might be overkill and I'd like either a Razordon or preferabbly a Salamander in there somewhere. Salamanders give you something to help with blocks of infantry (ever play skaven?) and low LD. If you ditched a 90 pt unit of Terradons you could get one with an extra handler for 80. Then a champion or standard for your Saurus Cav unit (champ to accept challenges if the Carni joins them though I don't know what you'd be scared of.) 1 salamander is a game changer believe it or not where as terradons mainly hunt warmachines (and sometimes fail due to their nerfs). 1 unit is plenty. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I added things up and realized your Old Blood is 455 points. (145+210+10+15+75). I wouldn't suggest losing the armor, but since your Saurus are both up 5 pts each there's your extra 10. Taking that into consideration your still at 2270 points TOTAL. 20 points over. I'd lose a terradon unit and up the 1 to 4. The other 40 points could go toward a Standard and Champion in you Cav unit.

jax40kplyr1
27-02-2009, 16:21
Agree with the above - pretty solid list. I'm still debating about the Cold Ones unit, but everything else looks good. Keep your EOTG out of combat - run it along side your saurus blocks and keep burning into combat. Very, very handy when your opponent tries running 1+ or 2+ AS cavalry near your flanks. Terradons are great - I'm totally sold on them. Not only march blockers, but they can take care of other flyers or fast cav who will try and march block you (took out 2 great eagles last night on turn 2 with dropping rocks). Against the gun lines, use your WS from the EOTG to try and protect while getting those terradons and Old Blood up quick. You can also have 5 dispel dice if you save both from the priest (EOTG gives him 2 dispel dice) - possibly consider bumping him up to Lvl 2 to gain an extra dispel dice as well.

Foegnasher
27-02-2009, 16:26
Agree with the above - pretty solid list. I'm still debating about the Cold Ones unit, but everything else looks good. Keep your EOTG out of combat - run it along side your saurus blocks and keep burning into combat. Very, very handy when your opponent tries running 1+ or 2+ AS cavalry near your flanks. Terradons are great - I'm totally sold on them. Not only march blockers, but they can take care of other flyers or fast cav who will try and march block you (took out 2 great eagles last night on turn 2 with dropping rocks). Against the gun lines, use your WS from the EOTG to try and protect while getting those terradons and Old Blood up quick. You can also have 5 dispel dice if you save both from the priest (EOTG gives him 2 dispel dice) - possibly consider bumping him up to Lvl 2 to gain an extra dispel dice as well.

actually i put it down points wise as a lvl 2 upgrade. i just forgot to put it there. i figure i am throwing 3 dice at a lightnign bolt or magic shieldamajiggy and saveing 2 for the next phase, giving me 6 dispel dice.

and the terradons are awesome, they can fly over fast cav and drop rocks, then charge the *******' cannon crews to keep them occupied while the oldblood, sarus and the skinkadon do the dirty work.

Roxors45
27-02-2009, 17:31
Classic case of theoryhammer Foe. You're asking tips before you buy models. Unless you proxied the terradons and played a game its a case of "looks good on paper", which terradons DO look good on paper. After losing their rocks on a unit (of which there won't always be one turn 1, some armies don't have Fast Cav, skirmishers, single characters running around etc.) they lose easily to tougher than normal crews. Orc bullys, HE, Dwarf w/ toughness 4, empire engineers. With their poor WS a lot of crews hit on 3s, and wound on 4s. For 90 points (usually more than a warmachine your attacking) they can be stalled easily by downing one model. Last thing you want is drawn out combat and after the drop rocks these guys are really lackluster. On the flipside, Sallys and Razors always make their points back when I use them. Far better choice IMO as a izardmen player.

Foegnasher
27-02-2009, 17:35
Classic case of theoryhammer Foe. You're asking tips before you buy models. Unless you proxied the terradons and played a game its a case of "looks good on paper", which terradons DO look good on paper. After losing their rocks on a unit (of which there won't always be one turn 1, some armies don't have Fast Cav, skirmishers, single characters running around etc.) they lose easily to tougher than normal crews. Orc bullys, HE, Dwarf w/ toughness 4, empire engineers. With their poor WS a lot of crews hit on 3s, and wound on 4s. For 90 points (usually more than a warmachine your attacking) they can be stalled easily by downing one model. Last thing you want is drawn out combat and after the drop rocks these guys are really lackluster. On the flipside, Sallys and Razors always make their points back when I use them. Far better choice IMO as a izardmen player.

i keep seeing people put a single salamader of razordon pack on the baord. what keeps these thing from panicing if they get shot at?

edit: i am takeing at least one unit of flyers. part of this exorsize is to get stuff i cant take in my skaven list (my true love) 1) crack infanty (sarus, check) 2) badass characers (oldblood w BoR, check) 3) flyers (terradons, check) 4) terror causeing monsters (check check and check.) 5) cavalry (cold ones, check) 6) chariots (the skinks ride em, and they do impact hits... eh, close enough)

Roxors45
27-02-2009, 19:32
i keep seeing people put a single salamader of razordon pack on the baord. what keeps these thing from panicing if they get shot at?

edit: i am takeing at least one unit of flyers. part of this exorsize is to get stuff i cant take in my skaven list (my true love) 1) crack infanty (sarus, check) 2) badass characers (oldblood w BoR, check) 3) flyers (terradons, check) 4) terror causeing monsters (check check and check.) 5) cavalry (cold ones, check) 6) chariots (the skinks ride em, and they do impact hits... eh, close enough)

People take them 1 at a time for a couple reasons. They easily make their points back and the more you have in a pack the less efficent and more misfires you can get. The more misfires you get the more handlers get eaten and the more of a chance you have of them going all "monster reaction table" on you. As for being shot at their T4 skirmishers. Its not so much being worried that they're shot at, but if they are, your stegadon and engi

In my loooooong post I still adivsed to take terradons. Just one unit though (albeit at 4 strong). Everything else I agreed with.ne arnt. Ill take a dead salamander over a dead priest (rendering the Engine useless) anyday.

Foegnasher
27-02-2009, 23:44
someone suggested i run the sarus 6 wide and three deep. seems good to me, but leaves me with some extra points...

general: oldblood, light armor, carnosaur, enchanted shield, blade of realities (455)

hero:skink priest: diadem of power, dispel scroll, ancient stegadon w/ engine of the gods (440)

skink chief, stegadon war spear, stegadon (340)

core:
10 skink skirmishers, blowpipes (70)
10 skink skirmishers, blowpipes (70)
18 saurus warriors, spears, full command (251)
18 saurus warriors, spears, full command (251)

special
3 terradons (90)
3 terradons (90)
5 cold one cav. (175)

that leaves me 48 points. what in the heck do i drop it on? i am thinkinking, mu and champ for the cav? (30 points) what about the other 18? would a blowpipe for the skink chief on teh stegadon be a good investment? what should i do?

Spirit
28-02-2009, 00:13
it costs very close to 48 points to make the chiefs stegadon an ancient, 2d6+1 s6 impact hits + 6 s6 attacks will destroy even chosen. and it gives a better save, and the blowpipes are none too shabby either. if you want a hammer unit, this bad boy is it.

or 5 chameleon skinks run you 60 points, good for messing with the enemy

Foegnasher
02-03-2009, 04:25
ok. with my 48 points i am

1) putting a musician in with the cav. (10)
2) getting 2 more skinks (14)
3) putting a brave in each skink unit (12)
4) outfitting the skink chieftan with gear* in case he loses his bitchin' ride (12) in which case he can get in with the saurus or skinks, and not just be a free 100 point model to the first thing that looks at him funny.

* light armor, shield, and blowpipe.

that is all, i am arrangeing payment options, hopefully out FLGS will take blood and tissue samples!