PDA

View Full Version : 2000 High Elves, for every phase;

Arguleon-veq
27-02-2009, 12:44
A friend of mine has asked me to help him with his High Elves. Here are some of the things he wants to have though;

Dragon,
Magic Heavy,
Pheonix Guard,
Spears.

So I was thinking of trying to make a fairly competative army for him, that will be fun to use because it works in every phase of the game.

Archmage; Moon Dragon, Lvl4, Vambraces of Defence, Choose Spells, Amulet of Light.

Mage; Lvl2, +1 Power.

Korhill;

21 Spears; Standard, Musician.
20 Spears; Standard, Musician.

Tiranoc Chariot;
Tiranoc Chariot;

14 Pheonix Guard; Standard, Musician. Banner of Sorc.

Bolt Thrower;
Bolt Thrower;

The army can sit back and hit the opponent with magic and a decent shooting phase whilst the Archmage marchblocks and blasts with magic. He is fairly durable thanks to that 4+ Ward and can hunt Ethereal thanks to his Amulet [I assume it makes the Dragons attacks magical?], he can then hit with some rear/flank charges.

The Infantry should be capable of holding for at least a turn. This should allow those Chariots to hit the flanks and provide a few extra kills to try to turn the combats. Korhill in the Guard should mean they dont need any chariot support.

He also already has two Tiranoc Chariots.

Do you think the list could work or is that Archmage just too vulnerable, does it have enough staying power?

Fate
27-02-2009, 17:47
From my personal point of view, Magic heavy and a dragon is impossible. For me magic heavy is 4 mages, less is just magic friendly.

Spears are not good but if he wants them, on his head be it...

The phoenix guard are good for keeping the mages in since they don't fall all too easly and cause fear.

I'd advise 4 RBT to maximise whatever good shooting you have too.

The Old Scholar
27-02-2009, 18:06
Okay, here's my go:
Archmage w/ Folarith's Robe, Talisman of Saphery

Level 2 Mage, Seer Staff, Dispel Scroll

Dragon Mage, Level 2, Silver Wand, 2 Power Stones (cheese :) )

(Or drop Level 2 Mage for Caradryan...love this guy)

10 Archers
20 Spears w/ command, FAE, Lion Banner or War Banner

15 Phoenix Guard w/ command, Banner of Sorcery
5 Dragon Princes

2 Bolt Throwers

Not perfect but from the hip...I think it covers all of the bases...it might make him happy...

Fate
27-02-2009, 18:24
Looks a little better but dragon still, you are losing a character usable for magic and more than that, it's a character with a target painted on his head.

The archmage is nearly untouchable but where the hell are his bonus for magic? I think you waste magic points on him, I prefer either give him bound spells, power stones or even risk on the book, otherwise why not a shard to completly stop one magic turn of the enemy?

You still waste points on spears, if you feel you really need them, just take 10, point cheap and that's it.

Dragon princes off... More bolt throwers.

Another unit of phoenix guard with just as many models as you can.

Champion89
27-02-2009, 20:07
I think everyone knows your approach to high elves fate. But fact is there are other ways to play the army than 4 mages and 4 bolt throwers.

I was thinking of a list with an archmage on a moon dragon. Let me know how he plays.
You might want to drop the 20 spearmen and add 10 archers. And use the points to get another elite unit. SMs come to mind rather quickly. I would also consider dropping the chariots for 5-6 dragon princes w/o cmd.

The Old Scholar
27-02-2009, 20:35
Looks a little better but dragon still, you are losing a character usable for magic and more than that, it's a character with a target painted on his head.

The archmage is nearly untouchable but where the hell are his bonus for magic? I think you waste magic points on him, I prefer either give him bound spells, power stones or even risk on the book, otherwise why not a shard to completly stop one magic turn of the enemy?

You still waste points on spears, if you feel you really need them, just take 10, point cheap and that's it.

Dragon princes off... More bolt throwers.

Another unit of phoenix guard with just as many models as you can.

All good suggestions; I was merely going off the OP's requirements.
I thought the indestructible lord--sans miscasts--helped the "Magic Heavy" thing while ensuring the player had little to fear in losing his General. It really depends on what role you want for your Archmage. How about 5 dispel scrolls?

Fate
27-02-2009, 21:20
You can do so but I still prefer the shard, I grants that nothing is used, there are no irresistable forces and no bound spells.