PDA

View Full Version : What happened to draws?

SteelTitan
27-02-2009, 14:14
One thing i noticed is that under different editions of the rulebook (around 5-8years ago) a lot more draws were scored in comparison to for example massacres (which were relatively rare unless I played badly).

Now it seems that the balance is there until turn 3, after which it clearly starts to swing one way, and by turn 6 a solid victory or a massacre is scored.

Anybody else noticed this?

Ward.
27-02-2009, 14:19
One thing i noticed is that under different editions of the rulebook (around 5-8years ago) a lot more draws were scored in comparison to for example massacres (which were relatively rare unless I played badly).

Now it seems that the balance is there until turn 3, after which it clearly starts to swing one way, and by turn 6 a solid victory or a massacre is scored.

Anybody else noticed this?

As a skaven player, yes, I get either massacred or massacre quite a bit.

It tends to be a result of either:
-The player in the lead successfully using his advantage
-The player already loosing just wanting to kill as much stuff as possible.
-Banners/ quarter/ slain general being worth so many extra points and the relationship between the extra points and the difference between a draw and a solid victory, particularly them being pretty close.

Any combination of the above and other factors.

The Red Scourge
27-02-2009, 17:15
In my experience it usually depends a lot on what armies are involved.

My WE seem to either massacre or get massacred (usually the first :cheese:). While my WoC tends towards draws and minor victories/losses.

Both armies will usually kill alot, my enemies will rarely be left with more than a handful of models, but for some reason those T3 no armor elves are a lot tougher than heavy chaos cavalry :wtf:

My VC also ended up with a draw after their first battle, yet I do expect alot more from the boney legion, when I get better acquainted with them and when they are fully painted :angel:

Condottiere
27-02-2009, 17:28
By mid-game most battles are probably decided, and since a lot of players aren't strategically inclined, they either decide to risk it all on good die rolls or just don't care and want to kill as many of the enemy as possible.

garythewargamer
27-02-2009, 17:46
I see draws still. Sometimes you just have to hang in there and do not give up. Sometimes that is what I have to look out for. I realize by turn 3 my deployment mistakes and kind of get the feeling do I want to quit now. Also about then I discover that I moved a unit wrong or did not move a unit at all. But you have to stick to your game plan and not just go for it. I tend to forget about board quarters but at least now I am learning about killing units and getting half points for some.

Braad
27-02-2009, 18:19
I think it went from being massacred all the time to scoring all kinds of different results. I think my most common one currently is actually a draw.

Often also, in the first few turns one actually seems to win, but then it swings to a draw or a victory for the opponent.

My last game, I was totally annihilating everything I got in contact with, but like turn 3 my opponent broke through my line and killed a few important things.
Still massacre though, but I got to say, battles seem a bit more erratic.

stripsteak
27-02-2009, 19:18
in smaller games i see this happening more, my friends and i mostly play 1000-1500 since we play after work and don't have as much time as we would like for bigger games. i really think the bonuses for general/standard/table quarters should be a ratio of how many points you are playing.

ie in 2000pt games they stay as is 100 pts per
in 1500 pts they are worth 75
in 1000 pts they are worth 50
in 500 pts only 25

Stuffburger
27-02-2009, 20:06
With my O&G I usually get slight a victory or get massacred. A few other results in there but mostly those two.

Haven't played 7th ed. LM yet so can't comment.

Gaargod
27-02-2009, 20:18
Mostly massacres one way or the other. A lot of opponents concede at turn 4/5 area as they can see where its going and would prefer to save time and play another game.

Mind you, did get a great draw recently, a full 6 turn game where we were seperate by only 11pts! A couple of different rolls each way could have resulted in solid victory tho.

If you are using scenarios however, the results tend to differ quite a lot. Really focuses someone's mind on the objectives, so they will risk a bit and cosequentially i find there are more solid/minor victories.

Mireadur
27-02-2009, 21:29
Been noticing the same lately. Specially true when VC are fielded :P

isidril93
27-02-2009, 21:39
i've got a few draws but more massacres and solid victories

sigur
27-02-2009, 21:39
Might it be because everything got more and more "killy" lately?

Mireadur
27-02-2009, 21:48
Might it be because everything got more and more "killy" lately?

Bingo for the sir

EDIT: One of the best games ive had in a lot of time was a draw with my HE agaisnt empire (wasnt marginal for me just by 6 points, but nm).
2500 point game, i presented for the 1st time my now classical army based on spearmen,silverhelms and all the light troops possible.
At the same time my empire friend loves CC and excepting a STank and a hellblaster and some fast cav, the rest was CC units with several war priests.

Nice game indeed.

Gork or Possibly Mork
28-02-2009, 02:46
I played 6 games so far with my new lizzies.

Won a solid victory vs. DarkElves
Lost a solid victory vs. Daemons ( should have been a draw but my Slann miscast twice and died then I was overwhelmed with magic in the last turn ).
Won a minor victory vs. Vampire Counts
Got a Draw vs. DarkElves
Got a Draw vs. Vampire Counts
Got a Draw vs. DarkElves

So more draws more than anything else.

With my Orcs&Goblins and Ogres I must admit I usually got massacres or got massacered. Often it's all or nothing when I play with them.