PDA

View Full Version : Mustering the Riddermark

The Adept
27-02-2009, 15:19
This new version of Lord of the Rings looks really quite nice, so I've got myself some Riders of Rohan (25 basic horsemen, but I could use them as other types with the right paint). I've also got Eomer on the way, and Gandalf. Isn't eBay great?

But anyway, here's the point of this ramble. Can anyone tell me how many points(ish) I've got, so I can work out how much more to get. I'll be getting the book, but not for a week or so.

Also, can anyone recommend what other things I should get (or use my existing guys as)? Please bear in mind I want to keep this as a pure cavalry army.

HsojVvad
27-02-2009, 15:33
Uh, how can you be getting the book next week? I thought it came out in April. (or has this changed and I didn't know of it?)

Sorry I can't help you out about point costs, since the book hasn't come out yet. Maybe someone who has seen the book, can help out.

You have Eomer, what about Gamling, or the King himself, Theoden himself. I am not shure if the King's son will be in it as well, but that would be a good idea as well. I hear the more heros you have, the better and stronger the group will be.

The Adept
27-02-2009, 16:17
I thought the book came out tomorrow, or is that just the event day?

AngelofSorrow
27-02-2009, 17:23
With Eomer and gandalf u have about 600pts

GET OUTRIDERS they are excellent with their shoot value of2+

HsojVvad
27-02-2009, 18:19
I thought the book came out tomorrow, or is that just the event day?

I thought it was a day event to promote WotR. Why it's so early I don't know. I will call my GW shop and ask.

Cherubael
27-02-2009, 18:27
Its just a preview but in the next few days a quick start version of the rules will be on the GW website so you can get the hang of the game. The actual release date is April 4th. Chances are its early to encourage people to buy mini's now so that when the game is released people actually have enough points to play the game.

HsojVvad
27-02-2009, 18:31
Yup just called my closet GW store. Book comes out on the 4th of April, and it's to get people into it, and help make armies, answer any questions or look at the rule book.

I didnt' know that a quick start version will be on the website. Thanks for the heads up, looking forward to it.

Cherubael
27-02-2009, 18:49
The latest WD says its up now. But i cant find it yet. Then again its hard to find anything on that website at the best of times anyway.

lorelorn
27-02-2009, 23:42
But anyway, here's the point of this ramble. Can anyone tell me how many points(ish) I've got, so I can work out how much more to get.

Also, can anyone recommend what other things I should get (or use my existing guys as)? Please bear in mind I want to keep this as a pure cavalry army.

Use your existing guys as Riders of Rohan as that is what they are. Unless you're going to convert them into something else. For additional models, Royal Guard, foot or mounted would be a good choice for either game.

A stand of Riders (2 models) in WotR costs the same as two Riders with throwing spears in LotR. Your first stand can be upgraded with standard, captain, and horn blower.

Bento
28-02-2009, 04:59
Use your existing guys as Riders of Rohan as that is what they are. Unless you're going to convert them into something else. For additional models, Royal Guard, foot or mounted would be a good choice for either game.

I'd just paint them different, particularly for outriders. RRG might warrant the chainmail defense, but since GW expects us to think the 1st Age elvish armour is heavier for what it is than the 3rd age Elvish armour I'm not hung up on armour consistency. It's important to be able to tell the types apart on the table, though.

The Adept
28-02-2009, 07:57
I've got a formation of three companies with spears, one with bows, one with hand weapons, and one mixed. I could easily use the spears as royal guard, the bows as outriders, and the others as normal riders. That should be easy enough to tell apart.

Looks like I need about six more companies of riders, and maybe some upgrades, to reach 1k. That's no problem.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the book. I'll be getting it from an independant stockist, so I'll get it as soon as they send it to him!

Baggers
28-02-2009, 08:11
Theored is in the book as well as Grimbold and Elfhelm.

Misfratz
28-02-2009, 21:26
The latest WD says its up now. But i cant find it yet. Then again its hard to find anything on that website at the best of times anyway.
WOTR quickstart rules are up. Did take ages to find:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat1600005&aId=11400003

Xarius
01-03-2009, 21:37
With Eomer and gandalf u have about 600pts

GET OUTRIDERS they are excellent with their shoot value of2+

no they shoot at 3+ but are still ok

lotrchampion
01-03-2009, 21:54
The book comes out on April 4th, as has been known since early January. This weekend's event was to let people know what it is, and give them a chance to play. As it is a brand new system, many people will want a chance to build up armies so that they can start playing as soon as the book comes out-I know a fair few of our guys have started frantically painting since playing the demo games. Demo games will continue to run over the next month, and veterans nights at GWs will start allowing people to play the game itself. So yes, there is still 5 weeks to go, but the build-up is still pretty good.

lorelorn
02-03-2009, 08:19
no they shoot at 3+ but are still ok

The OP is talking War of the Ring - in that game Outriders have a shoot value of 2+