PDA

View Full Version : mounted warrior priest weapons

Captain prophet
27-02-2009, 15:05
now i'm taking a mounted warrior priest and i know that there is going to be a stegadon in my opponents army i was thinking would it be better to take a great weapon or wyrmslayer sword which will help with the scaly skin?

thanks for any feed back

J.D:D

snottlebocket
27-02-2009, 15:48
Keep him cheap and go with the great weapon. A warrior priest isn't going to kill a stegadon, even with the wyrmslayer sword.

Besides you play empire, you got cannons so stegadons shouldn't be anything except target practice to you.

Gaius Marius
27-02-2009, 17:01
Don't forget your strength 4 shooting at the LARGE TARGET. Stegadons will die if poked full of enough holes.

Captain prophet
27-02-2009, 17:17
Keep him cheap and go with the great weapon. A warrior priest isn't going to kill a stegadon, even with the wyrmslayer sword.

Besides you play empire, you got cannons so stegadons shouldn't be anything except target practice to you.

thats what i was thinking but its only 9 points more and its 4+ to wound instead of a 5+ and NO armour save that combined with hatred and hammer of sigmar will atleast take off 1 wound if not 2 that and the unit of knights he's in might be able to take it down

Oh and its only a 500pnt game so no points left for a cannon

Coram_Boy
27-02-2009, 17:29
a stegadon at 500 points? how about giving your knights inner circle so that they can wound on 4+/3+ (depending on what type of steggy)

Captain prophet
27-02-2009, 18:03
a stegadon at 500 points? how about giving your knights inner circle so that they can wound on 4+/3+ (depending on what type of steggy)

yea thats what i said, and there is a guy taking blood knights and konrad in 500pnts.

and cant be inner circle cause they're my second core. also i think it's an ancient stegadon

Keller
27-02-2009, 18:05
I'd probably say the Wyrmslayer sword and a shield. A Stegadon at 500 points does seem a bit.... excessive.

Oh... If there are Blood knights you may fight, the Great Weapon would be of more use.

Captain prophet
27-02-2009, 18:13
I'd probably say the Wyrmslayer sword and a shield. A Stegadon at 500 points does seem a bit.... excessive.

Oh... If there are Blood knights you may fight, the Great Weapon would be of more use.
yeah maybe but i have got a unit of outriders to deal with them

snottlebocket
27-02-2009, 21:00
thats what i was thinking but its only 9 points more and its 4+ to wound instead of a 5+ and NO armour save that combined with hatred and hammer of sigmar will atleast take off 1 wound if not 2 that and the unit of knights he's in might be able to take it down

Oh and its only a 500pnt game so no points left for a cannon

You're talking about a stegadon here, a ******** big, nasty dinosaur. It doesn't matter if the wyrmslayer sword will allow you to do a wound on it, you don't even want to be in combat with that thing.

A cannon is probably the first thing you should bring, aside from your mandatory core, at any pointslevel. It's the most versatile problemsolver you got.

Even if you don't bring a cannon, find some other way to deal with the big lizard that doesn't involve suicidally charging it. (or worse getting charged by it)

Coram_Boy
27-02-2009, 21:20
How about a Lv 2 * 2, a Cannon, and 2 units of handgunners, both with a Guy with the targeting gun. Both your level 2s take lore of beasts, and try and beasts cower the stegadon, while everything else shoots at it / the rest of his force (which will be tiny)

snottlebocket
27-02-2009, 22:14
How about a Lv 2 * 2, a Cannon, and 2 units of handgunners, both with a Guy with the targeting gun. Both your level 2s take lore of beasts, and try and beasts cower the stegadon, while everything else shoots at it / the rest of his force (which will be tiny)

Just the cannon should be sufficient. Two level 2's at 500 points is downright silly and either a silly use of resources or not very friendly depending on how well the opposition assasinates.

If you want to play defensively stick the warrior priest in a block of flaggelants (counts as core) or swordsmen with some handgunners / crossbowmen as detachments plus a cannon.

If you want to play offensively try running a captain on a pegasus with a lance, full armour and an enchanted shield plus one or two small units of knights (depending on how you outfit their command group) and a unit of pistoliers.

Don't even bother to attack the stegadon with the offensive setup, just get rid of the inevitiable skinks so your pistoliers can safely bait and flee the stegadon. Either that or just skip the pistoliers alltogether and bring more small knight units and trust in armour to keep you safe from poison darts.

Obviously the msu knight approach isn't going to work if you expect him to be evil enough to bring an engine of the gods stegadon.

decker_cky
28-02-2009, 00:10
What about a captain on a pegasus with the sword that makes you wound on a 2+ and cause D3 wounds against a single opponent you nominate at the start of the game. Against the lizardmen, choose the stegadon and tear it a new one. Against VC, choose the general and in a combo charge allocate attacks against the general (combo so you have another champ to accept a challenge if a blood knight challenges).

Add in a cannon for insurance, and otherwise take some knights to fill your core.

snottlebocket
28-02-2009, 07:05
What about a captain on a pegasus with the sword that makes you wound on a 2+ and cause D3 wounds against a single opponent you nominate at the start of the game. Against the lizardmen, choose the stegadon and tear it a new one. Against VC, choose the general and in a combo charge allocate attacks against the general (combo so you have another champ to accept a challenge if a blood knight challenges).

Add in a cannon for insurance, and otherwise take some knights to fill your core.

It´s still not a very good idea. Empire characters simply aren´t that tough. For example if you tried that against the stegadon you´d still have to roll well above average to kill it in one round. Which is unlikely to happen, in return the stegadon is quite capable of outright killing you, or hurting you a great deal more and causing you to autobreak by being a fear causing enemy with a greater unit strength.

There´s simply no point in loading up an empire character and putting them at great risk for the off chance that he´ll perform above average and doesn´t simply get himself killed. Empire characters make for lousy assasins, that´s why they have artillery to deal with their problems.

If you´re that worried about large targets and other tough critters and a supposed inabbility to shoot them, bring one of those mercenary giants. ´There´s worse things to have at 500 points than a terror causing, stubborn giant that can headbutt treemen and hydra´s to the ground if necesary. (obviously a silly sollution but if you don't trust your own artillery...)