PDA

View Full Version : Black Library Background books

Loopstah
27-02-2009, 20:15
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this but as Black Library are part of GW and this deals with both games systems I thought it the most appropriate.

I am a big fan of the background and in-world books by Black Library and have been trying to track down them all with mediocre success.

So far I have got hold of:

The Sabbat Worlds Crusade
Conquest of Armageddon
The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer
The Departmento Munitorium Manual
Tactica Imperialis

WFB
Grudgelore
Liber Necris

I have heard of:

The 13th Black Crusade
Xenology
Insignium Astartes

WFB
The Empire at War
The Life of Sigmar
The Witch Hunter's Handbook
Liber Chaotica
Darkness Rising
The Loathsome Ratmen and all their Vile Kin

So the questions are:

Are there any more that I don't know about yet?
Has anyone read the ones I haven't got and what did you think of them?

Tizz
27-02-2009, 20:26
Liber Chaotica and Lothesome Ratmen are outstanding, from what I've looked through Insignium Astartes and good, and I know Xenology is next on my list to get.

misterboff
27-02-2009, 20:46
I managed to pick up Insignium Astartes for 1 in a Black Library sale ages ago!

Text-wise, it's a bit more detailed than Codex: Space Marines, but it's very, very pretty - loads of pictures (mainly Ultramarines though).

It's certainly worth a look/read.

misterboff

TheBigBadWolf
28-02-2009, 01:16
I got the Life of Sigmar and Darkness rising for 1 each in the BL sale, that thing was legendary I got 10 books for a quid each and they each cost about 15 each RRP :cool::D, and I'm not even a big WH fan, but they are very good, especially Darkness Rising, I just looked it out now :).

I highly recomend Xenology, probably one of the most talked about and sought after BL background book ever released, good luck finding it for a reasonable price though, the gf got me my copy for valentines a few years back out of a brick and mortar GW store :)

Gutlord Grom
28-02-2009, 04:04
Xenology is awesome! It has the best 40k background I've seen in a long time. I got mine for free, after I was totally annihilated in a tournament.

reds8n
28-02-2009, 11:02
liber chaotica is being rereleased btw (http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60040281015&type=Book)

There's also the Horus Heresy:collected visions (http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60040181012&type=Book)

And there will be an Empire sourcebook/picturebook as well.
I own all of those except the ratmen book.

.. which is kind of depressing.

If you're after more fluff then I can recommend most of the WFRPG and Dark Heresy books as well. I picked up "shades of the Empire" and the " Creatures Anathema" this week and they're both lovely.

Bregalad
28-02-2009, 17:36
In principle, all novels contain background information,even if some authors don't have a clue of the 40k (or Warhammer Fantasy) universe. Guess, the first three Horus Heresy novels are a must read. Others like Eisenhorn give good insights as well and are fun to read.

I would also have look at the Warhammer Fantasy RPG and Dark Heresy (40k RPG), as they have very good background books. Esp. the Skaven sourcebook is the best Skaven material currently.

Lord Malorne
28-02-2009, 17:41
Adeptus astartes books 1-4 are worth getting...I sure like them :angel:.

Loopstah
01-03-2009, 10:52
liber chaotica is being rereleased btw (http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60040281015&type=Book)

I hope they haven't changed anything as I just bought Liber Chaotica yesterday, they had a copy left in a cupboard at my local GW. :D

A very impressive book.

I'll have to check out the WFRP stuff at some point.

spetswalshe
01-03-2009, 12:25
Blood On The Reik is a fantastic WFB background book, very stylish with lots of excellent drawings.

Hlokk
01-03-2009, 12:39
To the OP: I found some of them to be very "wonky" in quality. Some are outstanding, such as the heresy background books and the leiber chaotica stuff, but some are frankly appalling (the inquisition one stands out as a good example of this.)

To the ones you mention specifically as having not read, I'll tell you about the ones I have:

Xenology: I liked this a lot. Leaving aside issues I have with the artwork not being anatomically correct (tau feet and kroot hands), its a very good book. Lots of detail, especially on new races such as the qworl (or however you spell it) the the hrud. It also links some nice themes between the eldar, the tau their rapid evolution. Also, running throughout is the idea of a creator race (ie: old ones) supporting the reasoning behind a lot of 40k races looking similar.

Insignium Astartes: My mate gets a lot of use out of this. I personally dont see the appeal, as it seems a bit dry, but if lots and lots of pretty pictures of marines are your thing, this will make you happy.

Theres also an inquisiton encyclopedia kind of thing which is absolute ****. Its basically an alphabetical listing of inquisitors, characters and equipment mentioned in (some) of the background. However, just do demonstrate how crap it is, there is no mention of inquisitor Jaq Draco (the inquisition war character) and there is more on the likes of Heldane than on, say, Kryptman. Under "Aliens" I was expecting detailed sections on each alien race. Instead, we're treated to 12 names of alien races. Dont buy this mate, its shocking.

Empire at war: I liked this, its nicely detailed, very very pretty and has some sweet art work, although I was kind of left thinking: tell me something I dont know, please.

Life of Sigmar: I liked it in places, although in others it was a blatant rushjob. I use this as a prop for WHRP, but if your after info on sigmars early life, your best bet is Heldenhammer by Graham McNeill.

Liber Chaotica: If and when you read this post, stop what your doing, go and buy this book. Its more important than the rent, the food and the leccy bill. Pure awesomeness in a can (well, in a book, same thing)

Loathsome Ratmen: I'll be honest, when I bought this I had 15 in my pocket and it was either this or an assault squad. I wish I'd gone with the marines. The book is good, its just not detailed enough. For example, theres a bit about different diseases Clan Pestilens uses. I was expecting a few pages about it, whereas I got 2 paragraphs. Its very very nicely presented, but in terms of actually telling me something new, it did a very poor job.

reds8n
01-03-2009, 12:50
Theres also an inquisiton encyclopedia kind of thing which is absolute ****. Its basically an alphabetical listing of inquisitors, characters and equipment mentioned in (some) of the background. However, just do demonstrate how crap it is, there is no mention of inquisitor Jaq Draco (the inquisition war character) and there is more on the likes of Heldane than on, say, Kryptman. Under "Aliens" I was expecting detailed sections on each alien race. Instead, we're treated to 12 names of alien races. Dont buy this mate, its shocking.

Oh god yes, I've got this as well, it is very disappointing. Looks lovely but the content is very poor.

laudarkul
01-03-2009, 17:46
I would add "The Horus Heresy-Collected Visions" which is just amazing.
And maybe those FW books.... I have IA3-Taros Campaign(waiting for IA5 and IA6 Siege of Vraks) and the book is full of background information and details (planet/armies/battles).
Liber Chaotica is a must:D...Full of chaos gods descriptions. a graphic form almost perfect....

Loopstah
01-03-2009, 18:49
I would add "The Horus Heresy-Collected Visions" which is just amazing.
And maybe those FW books.... I have IA3-Taros Campaign(waiting for IA5 and IA6 Siege of Vraks) and the book is full of background information and details (planet/armies/battles).

I have Imperial Armour 3/4/5/6, it's those that got me into the fluff search in the first place, as I loved reading about the campaigns in them. Hopefully IA7 will come out soon so I can find out what happens to Vraks.

The Horus Heresy one is the one with all the card pictures in isn't it?

laudarkul
01-03-2009, 19:14
Congrats for all those FW & BL books:)...
The HH-Collected Visions does includes on the final pages some cards (in fact a lot of....). It's an art-book but it full also with background regarding the Horus betrayal and just fill some gaps (also includes a story by Graham McNeill regarding the Mechanicum).

Sleazy
01-03-2009, 19:52
I too got lucky in the BL sale and got Sabbat Worlds Crusade, Life of Sigmar, Darkness Rising, Mark of Chaos art book and Insignium Astartes for a quid each. Seeing how much they regularly go for on ebay I wish I'd bought more.

Jellicoe
01-03-2009, 20:48
Particularly enjoyed the Sabbat Worlds crusade and 13th black crusade campaign histories. Hope Abnett does a follow on volume to the Sabbat Worlds crusade as his gaunt series continues

Grindgodgrind
01-03-2009, 23:55
Xenology, despite the minor flaws, is my favourite BL release.

RobC
02-03-2009, 08:05
However, just do demonstrate how crap it is, there is no mention of inquisitor Jaq Draco... except for the entry opposite the full-page illustration of Draco himself? Granted, it's very short, but it's there.

laudarkul
02-03-2009, 21:55
I too got lucky in the BL sale and got Sabbat Worlds Crusade, Life of Sigmar, Darkness Rising, Mark of Chaos art book and Insignium Astartes for a quid each. Seeing how much they regularly go for on ebay I wish I'd bought more.

Only a pound:eek:??? How can be possible??? Anyway it's a fine damn well deal;)

CaliforniaGamer
03-03-2009, 03:27

OMG....Im so glad I checked this thread.

Sleazy
03-03-2009, 08:31
Only a pound:eek:??? How can be possible??? Anyway it's a fine damn well deal;)

yeah about 2 years ago BL had a 10 year anniversary sale. They had loadsa stuff for a pound each, as well as background books I also got loadsa novels, a couple of t shirts and a pendant. Spent about 30 in all and got a huge box of books in the post. Was great.

Jedi152
03-03-2009, 11:24
I've got most fantasy background books, except for a couple - I sold my Loathsome Ratmen when i worked out that i hate Skaven - still got my limited edition Art of Warhammer.

I've got most WFRP books, i'm looking to get Shades of Empire because i've heard nothing but good about it.

I sold all the 40k books i bought for 1 in the sale, and got about 40 for two. :angel:

reds8n
03-03-2009, 11:27
Shades of Empire because i've heard nothing but good about it

It is a good read, but I would suggest-- and this is fair enough-- thatthis is much more angled towards use in the RPG than just as a pure fluff book.

Does read well though and has some funky ideas in it. When I've finished reading it totally I'll post up a review if people are interested.

The DH "monsters manual" is ACE though.