PDA

View Full Version : Think I screwed up starting my Chaos Army

nickni
27-02-2009, 22:24
Hello, I'm new here. My names Nick. So I had been looking at Warhammer Fantasy stuff for quite a while, a couple months now. Finally I choose a army and jumped in and bought some stuff...

Now heres the problem. I guess my google findings didnt explain much on what I had bought. I knew that a battalion was a good starter army, if you planned to use all the units there. So when I look around on tons of sites I ran into a Chaos Army Spearhead, out of print.

So I think to myself that hey this is probly what the "army" boxes are people talk about, a good starting set right? Well yeah I come to find out well after I bought it that I guess its just a ply to get out new minis and models. So my question here is what can I do with my spearhead to turn it around to a decent starting army? Iv read the book a bit, not fully. This is what it came with:

10: Multi-part Plastic Chaos Warhounds

5: Multi-part Plastic Chaos Marauder Horsemen

5: Multi-part Plastic Chaos Knights

5: Metal Chaos Warriors of Chaos Chosen Command (Full command +2 Warriors)

5: Metal Chaos Warriors of Chaos Chosen

1: Metal Khorne Lord on Juggernaught

1: Metal Nurgle Chaos Sorcerer

1: Metal Chaos Lord on Deamonic Mount

1: Metal Wulfric the Wanderer

1: Metal Sigvald the Magnificient

1: Metal Khorne Chaos Champion

So I really like the style of Nurgle painting, but Im totally new at this so Im sure that my painting skills cant really handle that yet. So I was thinking of just doing them Khorne themed? Any ideas on what I can do would be so helpful. I tryed to pick the right sub-forums for this question I hope I did right, if not I'm sorry. :chrome:

sroblin
27-02-2009, 22:56
The units in the Spearhead aren't actually bad, besides the fact that you paid a lot for metal heroes and Chosen models that you may not necessarily have watned. But those are cool models, and you can basically field them as whatever kind of unit you like. The rest of the stuff is actually very useful.

It does have some of the basics of an all-rounder Chaos Army:

1 Unit of 5 Chaos Knights

1 Unit of 10 (Chosen) Chaos Warriors (You can count them as chosen or not as to your preference; you can field them as Chaos Warriors if you don't want to spend the extra points. You will want expand the unit size to at least 12 models usually so the front rank can have more attacks)

1 Unit of 5 Marauder Horsemen (another good fast attack/skirmishing unit)

2 units of 5 warhounds (for screening and miscellaneous purposes)

You will probably want to add on at least another unit of Chaos Warriors or Knights; you may also wish to consider the plastic Marauder boxed set for cheaper (though less skilled) core infantry

Aside from that their are assorted beasties (trolls, dragon ogres, spawn, etc.) to consider, but they are optional. Pick your preferred character choices (you can use the special characters to represent regular characters, usually it's no problem), and you're set to go.

Remember that you don't have to make the whole army represent a single god; you can paint one unit in the style of Khorne, and the next from another god if you want so it's not a comittment engraved in stone.

Krom The Eternal
27-02-2009, 22:57
Ive played Woc For a few years now what marks did you have in mind? for your army? khorne tzeentch nurgle slaanesh? and how many points do you want to bring to the table? and in the new book you can bring a multi god army i bring a nurgle khorne and tzeentch army nurgle can soak up the hits khorne can deal an awesome amount of damage and the magic of tzeench is amazing give me a points value your looking for and ill write up a sample list for ya of i can show you mine to give you a better idea up to you? anyway best of luck and i hope the ruinous powers please you

Neckutter
27-02-2009, 22:58
you should probably buy 2 more boxes of horsemen, and 1 more box of chaos knights.
seems that everyone except for myself is playing all cav armylists.

one thing that you must really try, though, is the tzeentch sorc lord on disc. he is amazing in gameplay. his GW model isnt too spiffy, but you could always convert a 30mm 40k round base into a disc and glue a sorcerer to it. add some 40k chaos bits to the disc and voila!

at any rate, wulfric is decent. sigvald is decent. the khorne champ can be converted with little fuss to just another champion(headswap). the choson models are great for conversions. i dont know about using them. i just like regular chaos warriors. although those choson could be chaos warriors with GWs, or halberds.

as far as painging goes, i paint pretty simply with drybrushing dark angels green, then snot green highlist on my nurgle guys. then i chestnut ink the weapons/mith silver parts, and then wash the model with devlan mud. not too terribly long and looks nice.

nickni
27-02-2009, 23:19
Hey wow so helpful guys! I know I'm new and I hate to come out just asking questions. Yes I plan to buy some more small box sets, or even a Battalion if that seems like it would go well.

I would like to get a 1k army and go from there. Im gonna try to get friends to get to 1k points on there armys then we can all play.

I did not really know you could do multi-god armys, that is really great. I havnt fully seen it but I assume I cant do some sort of Warriors/Demons army correct? The nurgle stuff amazes me but I'm kinda confused how that would work.

To the person that was talking about some starter lists that would be great. I'm just now sitting down and reading the Army Book start to end this week. I had the last edition and I read quite a bit of fluff and skimmed through the whole thing. I will be ordering the Fantasy hardcover rulebook next paycheck after reading that I will understand more. I have never played this game or seen it played yet. Still trying to hook up with some people locally that play.

I really do love the Nurgle stuff, but I'm also really digging the tzeentch sorc on the disk, very cool stuff. I been playing Warhammer Online and I play a low level Squigherder but I'm thinking of switching to a Magus just because how awesome they are :evilgrin:

nickni
27-02-2009, 23:23
The units in the Spearhead aren't actually bad, besides the fact that you paid a lot for metal heroes and Chosen models that you may not necessarily have watned. But those are cool models, and you can basically field them as whatever kind of unit you like. The rest of the stuff is actually very useful.

Forgot to say I think I ended up paying just under $150 for the boxset. From what I saw from other places it seemed like a good deal, thats why I ended up buying it hehe.

DigbyWeapon
27-02-2009, 23:27
Forgot to say I think I ended up paying just under $150 for the boxset. From what I saw from other places it seemed like a good deal, thats why I ended up buying it hehe.

Oh yeah, $150 is good for that. :)

A battallion costs that much.

I don't know a great deal about Chaos Armies, but I can say, just paint what you have, and then expand.
In 3 months time you might be over chaos, and have hundreds of minis, so my advice, paint what you got, then expand by $50 box sets of core, to bolster what you have.

- Digby

Cherrystone
27-02-2009, 23:28
I havnt fully seen it but I assume I cant do some sort of Warriors/Demons army correct?

Correct, though we play with some house rules to allow a small amount of Deamons in a warriors army.

nickni
27-02-2009, 23:31
Cool. I cannot use Beastmen in this Chaos army right? I thought I read a while back that they were together. I might have misunderstood tho. I have a big huge box of diffrent kinds of minis from lots of diffrent armys I will get next paycheck I bought them off some kid. There was quite a lot of stuff there.

Neknoh
27-02-2009, 23:38
Depends on what army you want, for an infantry army, you might be a bit stumped, having to buy a box of Warriors (or even two), however, for a general all-round, 1000 point army, you can easely manage with just a box of Warriors on foot to flesh out your options.

Exalted Champion on Jugger with magic goodies clocks in at around 230 points

A level two Sorceror of Nurgle with doda's and trinkets clocks at around 190-200 points

Now pick up the warhounds in two units, that's 60 points right there. We are now looking at about 500 points (about 5-30 points less than that, but I count big figures here)

And now we get to pick our core choices.

12 Warriors of Chaos with command, shields and halberds (give them the lances from your knight box) and a mark will set you back 300 or so points, it's 800 right now

5 Marauder Horsemen with Flails, Mark of Slaanesh and a Musician costs 91 points, rounded to 100 for simplicity of counting here, so 900 points

5 Knights, Full Command, Warbanner, mark of Khorne or Nurgle and we are looking at 300 points, making 1200

10 Chosen with Full Command, Favour of the Gods, Mark of Slaanesh and Banner of your choosing makes for another 300 points, we aren now looking at 1500 points, and with the rough estimates, I am quite sure it actually clocks in close to it as well, seeing as you now have had some units costing more and some less.

For the 2k points mark, another box of Marauder Horsemen to fill out the core choice, and then another Sorceror of Nurgle is to be reckommended, you should still have enough points to pick one of the following, depending on what you thought of the units:

1 box of warriors
1 box of knights
1 box of Ironguts to convert to Chaos Ogres

basically, pick the one unit you think you would enjoy the most, Ogres would be a new addition to the army and would supplement the infantry and the cavalry nicely, whereas cavalry would make the army primary speedy and hitty whilst warriors would make the army primarily slower and more durable.

Those are but a few pointers

nickni
27-02-2009, 23:56
Cool Neknoh. The ogres would be a nice, something diffrent. What about one of those Chariots or a big Giant? Subbed for possibly one of the other things. Those caught my eye.

Krom The Eternal
27-02-2009, 23:58
ok well heres an example of my list just so you can see i would recomend going with the sorceror lord or general with the mark of tzeentch it gives you a greater chances of your spells going off i also chose to bring wulfrick the wanderer hes a great model except for the head and he can come in on any table edge with one unit of marauders which can be really helpful!! i also find that a good warrior base helps i bring units of 15 warriors each anyway heres my list ill write up a sample army for you while you look over this i hope my info is helpful and gets you pumped up about the best army in the warhammer world next to all night goblin armies hahaha i love mine

Heros

Lvl 2 Sorceror 215pts
Mark of nurgle
Dispell Scroll
Power Stone
Stream of Corruption

Wulfrik The Wanderer 185pts
For bringing the marauders in on any table edge

Lvl 2 Sorceror 215pts
Mark of Tzeentch
Dispell Scroll
Power Stone
Third Eye Of Tzeentch

CORE

15x Chaos Warriors 245pts
Mark of Nurgle
Sheilds
Full Command

15x Chaos Warriors 245pts
Mark of Khorne
Sheilds
Full Command

20x Chaos Marauders 170pts
Sheilds
Light Armour
Full Command

20x Chaos Warriors 170pts
Sheilds
Light Armour
Full Command

5x Chaos Marauder Horsemen
Light Armour
Full Command
Sheilds

Neknoh
28-02-2009, 00:02
Cool Neknoh. The ogres would be a nice, something diffrent. What about one of those Chariots or a big Giant? Subbed for possibly one of the other things. Those caught my eye.

Easy enough, basically, the Giant and Ogres come in at a similar cost, around 200 points.

A chariot is slightly cheaper, and you might want to get something to go with it, a Chariot and a Warshrine comes at around 280 points, meaning you might have to drop some magic banners, but that shouldn't really be an issue in that list.

nickni
28-02-2009, 00:35
Easy enough, basically, the Giant and Ogres come in at a similar cost, around 200 points.

A chariot is slightly cheaper, and you might want to get something to go with it, a Chariot and a Warshrine comes at around 280 points, meaning you might have to drop some magic banners, but that shouldn't really be an issue in that list.

Sounds cool I will have to find out what a Warshrine is. The Chariot looks awesome : )

mrtn
28-02-2009, 10:19
You used to be able to combine warriors with daemons and beasts, but you can't anymore, so it's not strange if that's confusing to you.

As to painting, Nurgle should be one of the easier things to paint, just use a lot of washes. It's easier to paint dirty than clean looking minis. :)

nickni
28-02-2009, 22:48
Hmm cool, I will have to find out what main colors I would need to do the nurgle theme. I was gonna buy a set of every color but I dont think I can afford that atm.

dshavers
01-03-2009, 05:24
I'm very new as well to the warhammer world, and what I've found pretty helpful, is looking on youtube for battle reports. There are a few around and even a few videos that explain the basics of playing a warhammer fantasy game.

Here's an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPOYCDhfZs

Dexter099
02-03-2009, 00:42
The spearhead is a rip gaming-wise, since you'll never use more than 2 of those characters in a regular game.

However, to flesh out a decent army, let me give you some cost-friendly advice.

Right now I have about 5,500 points of WoC that I am very content with. I probably paid only about $400 for it, and that was before the battleforces.

You will need a strong block of Chaos Warriors. and some marauder blocks. Also, Chosen models aren't worth it, since it's about $100 for a unit of them.

Here's how to get an army for your needs:

2 Battleforces.
2 boxes of warriors
1 Ogre Kingdoms Bulls box.

Optional: Try to get some cheap dragon ogres if you can. If not, then you'll have to convert your own. Or get some used Trolls.

You will need 4 more chosen to get a good unit of them. I wouldn't buy another 5 guys if you can help it, but you may not have a choice if you want to make your guys fit in. Or you could do without Chosen.

Now, make two units of seven chaos knights with the Mark of Tzeentch. (Not Khorne!!!)

The extra chaos knight can be converted to be your lord or BSB, keep him on the horse but in an infantry block.

The two 20 man marauder units should have MoS, shields, light armor, and full command. These guys will hold your flanks.

The rest of your warriors should mostly be in 3 by 5 blocks, but mix and match them as you like. It's not worth giving them the MoK, as you don't want them breaking your battleline as they go charging around after skirmishers.You should have 15 warhounds, put them into units of 5 that should march block, screen, and redirect charges. 5 Marauder horsemen with flails, light armor, spears or throwing axes, and a musician should do likewise.

Unfortunately, the Lord on Juggernaught is worthless, like all mounted Khorne units.

nickni
02-03-2009, 02:14
I'm very new as well to the warhammer world, and what I've found pretty helpful, is looking on youtube for battle reports. There are a few around and even a few videos that explain the basics of playing a warhammer fantasy game.

Here's an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPOYCDhfZs

Thank You, watching it tonight : )

Dexter099 Thanks for your long post, I will take note of all you said. By battleforce do you mean the Battalions? Because theres no way I can find the old battleforce stuff. Iv only seen a couple posted on ebay before and there always uber expensive (40k?)

As for the fact of never using any of the other metal figures. Thats cool I understand why you feel that way but I would like to try diffrent things time to time and I dont plan to play this game to min/max every single thing. I really just wanna have fun and everyone locally I plan to play with are the same, no one is starting off with 2k point armys, and no one is doing min/max to get every point worth for the perfect army. In fact for the most part my friends are just adding units they read about and feel they would enjoy having in a army for fun, and what looks fun to paint.

Im sure one day there will come a time when I want to get everything in a army perfect, but for now I just wanna learn and have fun. You having 5k points of Chaos is very cool tho, and I bet your a awesome General. Hopefully I can be that one day : ) Thank You for your help.