PDA

View Full Version : Overkill?

Filthy O'Bedlam
28-02-2009, 01:06
Hello fellow Warseers.
After a couple of years of thinking about it, I am finally starting a Tau army. I have found a very good deal on Broadsides, and am wondering what other players think about taking a Full Nine Broadsides. Is it unnecessary overkill, a good strategy, or somewhere in between? Should I instead take 6 Broadsides and a Hammerhead?

Thank you very much in advance for any and all replies

Filthy

bnrweimann
28-02-2009, 01:35
I wouldn't necessarily call it overkill. It is powerful. But also expensive points wise (especially w/ the usual upgrades) and susceptible to being killed quickly if the enemy gets a close-combat unit into them. Even if he doesn't kill them, tying them up for the game can really decrease your available firepower.

susu.exp
28-02-2009, 02:06
If the deal is temporary get them. Even if you want to exchange some of them for other HS choices (`Heads with their extra mobility, Rays for their MLs and seekers or Sniper Tems for unexpensive anti MEQ fire) they´d make for a nice Apoc formation. You´ll probably not field 9 of them in standard size games, the point cost becomes prohibitive, especially because you need your Commander in a suit as well and will want to have some troops to take objectives.

v_ol_tron
28-02-2009, 02:10
Do it. give them shield drones. watch your opponent cry.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
28-02-2009, 02:21
Hello fellow Warseers.
After a couple of years of thinking about it, I am finally starting a Tau army. I have found a very good deal on Broadsides, and am wondering what other players think about taking a Full Nine Broadsides. Is it unnecessary overkill, a good strategy, or somewhere in between? Should I instead take 6 Broadsides and a Hammerhead?

Thank you very much in advance for any and all replies

Filthy

If the deal is good enough that you would consider getting 9 broadsides in the first place, then pick them up! They'll be great fun for apocalypse and look great on the table top when fielded together.

Creeping Dementia
28-02-2009, 02:21
I think 6 is about as many as I'd take. 6 Broadsides with Stabilizers or TArrays, split into 3 units with 2 sheild drones per unit will run about 600 points. Not bad at all, leaves you plenty of points for 2-4 mounted firewarrior squads depending on the points your playing at, and still have room for a commander and a few units of suits to fill in what the army lacks. Problems would be drop pods and equivalents. You'll never have a problem with tanks though.

A big reason you don't see many fielded is they are expensive models, thats the only reason I don't have a bunch.

starlight
28-02-2009, 02:33
Get them. Magnetise the heck out of them, then if you don't use all of them you can always field them as Crisis Suits. :)

I run six and a full compliment of Sniper Drones.

Johnnyfrej
28-02-2009, 04:36
I wanna see 9 Obliterators taking on 9 Broadsides!

Filthy O'Bedlam
28-02-2009, 05:23
I wanna see 9 Obliterators taking on 9 Broadsides!

So Do I, But I only have 6 :)

Thank you everyone for your responses; I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for the Full Nine, mainly to see the look on my playing partner's face when I deploy them for the first time.

Cheers, Filthy

squeekenator
28-02-2009, 05:46
If you aren't playing Apocalypse, Hammerheads with railguns outshine every other other Heavy Support choice by a huge margin, so taking anything else there is weakening our army. However, massed Broadsides are damn funny, so do it.

mughi3
28-02-2009, 06:07
Well there is both good and bad. with 9 TL'd rail shots and the appropriate upgrades you can effectively engage 6 different targets a turn and it will do the job when it comes to killing armor and monstrous creatures, however it leaves you lacking in the anti-horde department, i'd be going with at least one hammerhead to drop pie plates on troop formations.

P.S.

protect them from assault give them a kroot shield.
:evilgrin:

Filthy O'Bedlam
28-02-2009, 08:48
however it leaves you lacking in the anti-horde department, i'd be going with at least one hammerhead to drop pie plates on troop formations.

P.S.

protect them from assault give them a kroot shield.
:evilgrin:

Hordes aren't really a problem for me, my main opponents are Space Marines and Eldar, so I'm thinking about being able to tear through Wave Serpents and Space Marines. I also will be getting a Hammerhead for variety\flexibility.

The Kroot are some of my favourite GW models and I love their fluff so much I bought a squad when they cam out just to put together and paint; so you can be rest assured they'll be there to protect my investment in anti-armour technology.

Cheers, Filty

mughi3
28-02-2009, 10:53
A small sad note if your shooting at wave serpents..their shield drops you down to strength 8, but it is AP-1 still so some silver lining.
;)

Wolflord Havoc
28-02-2009, 11:09
I like to keep my options open - so I would get 9......and 3 hammer heads :evilgrin:

That way when it come to apoc games and some one plonks down a gert great Titan you can match it with your 12 Railguns and watch him cry. :D

Magnetise the arms so that you can modify some of them with Plasma guns.

yes they can be beaten up in CC but that goes without saying in a Tau Army.

12 S5 shots a turn (that ignore interveining terrain) and 3 TL railgun shots is not to be sniffed at. Give them the option to fire both weapons and perhaps some shield drones and your away!

grissom2006
28-02-2009, 11:10
i'd only take the nine in a apoc game sniper drones on the other hand i take as many as i can fit in plus 3 broadsides in most nomal sized games

Doppleskanger
28-02-2009, 11:12
When i read this I reallly thought you were being silly. 9 is way too many and uses too many points. Then i read you'll normally be playing Marines and Eldar :) Prepare to have some very whiny oponents!

Filthy O'Bedlam
28-02-2009, 11:30
A small sad note if your shooting at wave serpents..their shield drops you down to strength 8, but it is AP-1 still so some silver lining.
;)
Oh, I know. Believe me, I know:mad:

When i read this I reallly thought you were being silly. 9 is way too many and uses too many points. Then i read you'll normally be playing Marines and Eldar :) Prepare to have some very whiny oponents!
Trust me, I am 100 percent serious. MY CSM's and Witch Hunters have been getting chewed up lately, and I want an army based on overwhelming firepower, as opposed to the overwhelming assault I use now.

Cheers, Filthy

Eryx_UK
28-02-2009, 12:21
Having been on the recieving end of broadsides - no, the Tau - too many times, I say anything the Tau take is overkill. :cries:

On a serious note, its very nasty but points heavy. I'd certainly groan and mumble if I faced someone with nine of them.

Grazzy
28-02-2009, 12:40
Try 6. 9 sounds too much in 1000-1850 points, it would only work in 2000+ games.

6 will still kill all tanks and leave an extra 250 odd points for more other cool stuff. If you like suits then take 6 broadsides and then 9 crisis - that would be a cool army.

fluffstalker
28-02-2009, 15:46
Only do it for fun or do it in apoc when you can field lots of other stuff, or perhaps ain a double match where your ally can handle the hordes.

Its not that they're bad. Its just that in 5th ed, Hammerheads are just so much more versatile and better. So in a tournament, go with at most three sides for those pesky raiders and monoliths. Place them where you can control the enemy vehicle traffic, and then use your more mobile hammerheads to hunt them down as they cower from the sides.

RCgothic
28-02-2009, 17:11
If I knew in advance you were taking 9 broadsides, I would take not a single vehicle for my SMs. I think this is a tactic that will only work once.