PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice in constructing a 'fluffy' Blood Axes Warband

Desalbert
28-02-2009, 01:44
Good evening all!

I have decided that my Ressurected Ork warband will most likely hail from the Blood Axe Philosophy of battle.

As such, I was wondering if I could get some warseer advice as to what units to take that would make it the most "Blood Axey" possible. I'm thinking Kommandoes (probably two units?) and a unit of Tank Bustaz would help... Maybe a lobba battery (due to a fluff focus on hive-world combat)

As well, any painting tips would be greatly appreciated too! What colours might work? where should I focus camo? Is the face off limits or too odd looking?

I'm thinking of using some grey colour as a majority base, and then adding various 'lurid' camo... But as well, I kind of fancy adding some stripes of a sort of yellow-and-black diagonal industrial floor-tape style pattern, just to liven things up-- and it just seems Hive-worldish to me.... but would that be out of the question for Orks with a Blood Axe mindset??

Here's an example of that "yellow and black industrial floor tape pattern" which I may add in minor ways, to some shoulder pads and/or vehicles:

http://www.gaffertape.com/site_content/site_gaffertape/images/products/product_4055_1.jpg

Anyway any thoughts on style, painting, and army composition (even down to weapon choices-- though I fancy shootas!) would be wonderful! Much thanks

-Des

Born Again
28-02-2009, 05:13
For a fluffy Blood Axe army, you'll want to take a couple of units of kommandos (you could consider putting Snikrot in one), and of course a looted wagon goes without saying. Do a search, there are countless pics on the net of converted Blood Axe Rhinos and Leman Russ. For your third elites, you could either go with Tankbustaz, or Lootaz (weapons bought or "acquired" from their contact with other races). You could also give a few boyz mobs shootas, the better to emulate dem 'umies with der flashy gunz :p

As for colours, camo is great but don't overdo it. Of course, Orks do kind of miss the point and are prone to lurid or clashing colours, but if you do too much they'll look like an explosion in a paint factory, so don't go too crazy.

The warning strips would be a great touch, I think.

Occulto
28-02-2009, 05:24
I always figured Blood Axes would be best done if you just built an IG army using the Ork codex. :D

Include things like Gretchin big gunz, looted wagons, trukk boyz (armored fist squads) some kommandos, and plenty of boyz. Even use some gretchin as your "konskriptz".

Desalbert
28-02-2009, 05:54
Thanks for the tips guys! It is honestly very much appreciated! :D

-Des

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
28-02-2009, 06:16
I always figured Blood Axes would be best done if you just built an IG army using the Ork codex. :D

Include things like Gretchin big gunz, looted wagons, trukk boyz (armored fist squads) some kommandos, and plenty of boyz. Even use some gretchin as your "konskriptz".

Or you could do it the other way around.

But really, Blood Axes, to be true to fluff, should have kamo, and lots of 'umie stuff. Looted vehicles and weapons would be good. They could also be more organized, and potentially even work for the Imperium, and thus be standardly armed. (The one who hired them is no doubt in the interrogation cells at this time.)

But I think the way to go is a regimented and organized look. And some stolen iconography and visual themes from the Guard, but Orkified.

Snotteef
28-02-2009, 20:17
Definitely take looted wagons and Kommandos. Those used to be Blood Axe only units. I think that anything else is fair game, but shoota boyz seem more blood axey than sluggas, so include a unit or two of them. After all, Imperials tend to carry rifles more often than pistols and cc weapons.

They do like camo, so you can use as much of that as you want. Alternatively they good 'nick' an imperial color scheme and you could paint them up in the colors of a famous imperial unit. Barring that, Blood axes have classically worn blue-grey uniforms that may or may not have camo. The key is to keep the colors of the units uniform; Blood Axes don't go in for the rag-tag appearance most Orks prefer.

It'd also be cool to convert some guys to hold Imperial gear: the occasional bolter, Imperial Aquila, SM Missile Launcher (instead of a Rokkit), etc.

Converting and painting Blood Axes is fun on a bun!

Sheena Easton
28-02-2009, 20:44
A fluffy Blood Axe list to my mind has:

At least one mob of Kommandoz
Shoota Boyz over Slugga Boyz
A mob or two of Grotz
Stormboyz
Looted Vehicles - this also includes Trukks, Battlewagons, Buggies / Trakkz, Bikes made from looted Imperial things (so a gutted Salamander as a trukk, Land Raider Battlewagons etc)
Very few Nobz (Blood Axes traditionally had fewer Nobz than most clans)
Tankbustas would also fit as would Big Gunz (mainly Lobbaz and Kannonz) and possibly Burna Boyz. Flash Gitz and Lootaz wouldn't fit (being more of a Freebooter / Bad Moon and Deathskull thing respectively)
Lots of Imperial gear (lasguns & bolters carried by Boyz, bayonets fixed to guns etc) as well as military style clobber and of course camo paint.

the1stpip
28-02-2009, 22:56
What I have done is go for the more visual approach.

My Orks and especially my vehicles are Imperial based. They try to emulate the Imperium in everything. Their trukks are stripped down Chimeras, I have a lot of shoota boyz, Kommandoz, looted wagonz, etc.

Oh, and paint your axes red..!

susu.exp
28-02-2009, 23:49
Blood Axes are Lootaz - idea lootaz. And a bit of cargo cult mixed into it. I.e. they steal the look and some of the tactics from their opponents. Since the IG is one of the most nummerous forces in the galaxy (with Orks - trivial - and 'Nids - damn hard to do) coming close, most of the time BAs are modeled to mimic guard. But they could just as well copy other forces. Ive got a small BA army mimicing the Adeptus Mechanicus, with lots of Cyborg Goodness. Why not have lots of Kans and Boys, paint them metallic with skull tattoos on the faces and green barreled guns? Or lots of Koptaz painted red with white and partly converted from Eldar Jetbikes? Or tau style, with crude sept markings, loads of Dakka and looted "dronez" on wheels or tracks (counting as grots)?
Or Sistaz: Loads of Burnas, some Stormboys, some falsies...

MadJackMcJack
28-02-2009, 23:51
Red axes go fasta?

I've got Blood Axes in my army (it's a mixed-clan army), and for them, I use a consistent, semi-realistic camo scheme. Then, to tie it in, all of the looted gear the Death Skulls has the same camo gear (along with copious amounts of blue, natch). The idea being that in the past, the Ork army engaged an Imperial Guard regiment, from which the Blood Axes of the tribe got their camo scheme (and the Death Skulls some new toys).

Tanner MIrabel
28-02-2009, 23:56
Have an oomie advisor. Old fluff has the Imperium sometimes using the Blood Axes for their own purposes...

Desalbert
01-03-2009, 03:27
Hey, thanks for all the ideas guys! They're some fantastic ones! I don't know if I'll go as far as making all my vehicles humie-based but it certainly is an exciting idea!

Actually, that leads me to one thing; I have a pretty cool model Sherman tank, and a Panzer tank, and I'm pretty sure they're a similar scale as a leman russ... Would there be any gripes, at say, a tournament, if I used either the Sherman or Panzer as the base model for a Looted Wagon, changed the armament to look more "Boom Gun" ish and Orkified it, and made it look real old and scrappy? Or is this just too odd in your estimations?

And to that question further, can anyone explain an easy way to achieve a rusted look and effect while painting vehicles?

Many Thanks

Des

jp22102000
01-03-2009, 04:18

There is an Ork Army in a WD somewhere that uses that same idea. I forget which one it was though. They even had a standard bearer that read "For Da Emporer!"

starlight
01-03-2009, 04:46
Every one of my Blood Axe units has an Imperial equivalent (sort of:p), although they're more 3rd/4th Ed IG than whatever comes out in May and I ain't changing Da Ladz just because the Oomies gots a new book, 'cause I is a cranky old git.:p

big squig
01-03-2009, 04:50

That's pretty much my army to tee. It's great fun to play orks like there were guard. Most opponents don't know what to do.

Born Again
01-03-2009, 07:44
That's because they're not used to IG throwing out Str 4, Assault 2 shots at 24" range (weapon range plus 6" move)...a scary concept, especially when the unit can be nasty in combat too!

Bodysnatcher
01-03-2009, 09:01
Blood Axes have a strong belief that medals are potent magical talismans (da 'Oomies wiv lotza medalz, dey give Orksies a good hidin'!) So a warboss will attempt to amass a vast collection of well polished medals (they probably DO act as an additional layer of armour at this point). Plus, hats from commisars just look wonderfully comic on a warboss's head.