PDA

View Full Version : Ravenwing Help!

Ozeor
28-02-2009, 08:54
I know with the master of the ravenwing you can take bikes as troops, does this also include land speeders somehow? I know 6 bikes can take 1 landspeeder, but is there a way for landspeeders to be troop choices?

Thanks!

Hellfury
28-02-2009, 09:05
Afraid not.

Sammael allows "Ravenwing Attack Squadrons" to be taken as troops and fast attack.

In order for a landspeeder to be taken as troops, it must be part of the Ravenwing attack squadron. So one landspeeder per troops choice in that respect.

Hypaspist
28-02-2009, 09:09
Hi Ozeor,
Taking Sammael as an HQ choice allows Ravenwing Attack Squadrons to be taken as a troop choice.
This means in one troop choice you can take :
6 Bikers
1 Attack Bike
1 Landspeeder with Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter (Tornado Pattern)

now onto the question of whether the landspeeder scores or not, that has been discussed elsewhere and to be honest, I would check with the people you are playing against, because BRB states vehicle troop choices do not score. C:DA (under the Ravenwing attack squadron entry) states that the Attack BIke and Landspeeder MUST combat squad when deployed and from there count as independent scoring units, (note it mnakes no mention that the Ravenwing Attack Squadron needs to be taken as a troop choice)
it's basically fall over from 4th ed Codex into 5th Edition rules and you would have a hard time convincing anyone that a fast attack landspeeder was a scoring unit, (even though by RAW, if you accept Codex > Rulebook thats what it is) whether landspeeder's score as a troop choice? that's probably a negotiation between you and your opponent/tournament organiser, I have noticed the trend is for people to reject the idea of scoring vehicles. Hope that helps!
Hypa
<Dagnabit, Ninja'd!>

Trekari
28-02-2009, 09:57
Keep in mind that if your opponent refuses to play per the rules in your Codex, you have every right to find a rule in their Codex and tell them that rule isn't valid for your game either.

Grazzy
28-02-2009, 12:46
I would say they are scoring - it codex trumps rulebook.

If an opponent says that they dont score just remember that it is within your rights to say that his marines may not get storm shields with 3++, or point out other codex errors

Ozeor
02-03-2009, 04:31
Also! Plasmaguns, are they now small blast template weapons?

Starchild
02-03-2009, 09:06
Also! Plasmaguns, are they now small blast template weapons?

Negative. Plasma Guns are rapid fire weapons, i.e. 1 shot at maximum range or 2 shots up to 12"

samiens
02-03-2009, 10:12
check the latest DA FAQ- seems to say (and I haven't read it for a while) that the landspeeder is no longer scoring...

Trekari
02-03-2009, 15:09
No it does not. It does not even begin to imply such a thing.

Hellfury
02-03-2009, 15:51
No it does not. It does not even begin to imply such a thing.
Agreed. I looked through the FAQ twice, and I couldn't even find a single reference to scoring whatsoever.

In fact just to make sure, I used the handy search function in my adobe program to find any instances of the words "scoring" or "score", and the results came up to "0".

In short, it doesn't address the issue at all.
But in samiens defense, I do recall a FAQ prior to the october 2008 FAQ that alluded something similar to samiens conclusion.
I cant double check to be sure because damned if I can find that FAQ on my HD anymore.

samiens
02-03-2009, 17:46
oops, my bad, must have been thinking of something else. RAW then speeders score

Ozeor
03-03-2009, 03:02
So bikers are just normal troops basicly? They cant do hit and run and they get locked into close combat?