PDA

View Full Version : 2250 WoC Archaon's battle retinue

Angelust
28-02-2009, 17:34
Hey guys. 2250 for friendly play in an Mighty Empires league.

Archaon
Sorc - lvl 1 - Puppet
Sorc - lvl 1 - Scroll, Book of Secrets
Exalted - MoT, Disc, Gold Eye, shield, blood-roar

Warriors x18 - MoS, Shield, FC, Rapturous Ban
Marauders x20 - MoS, GW, FC
Marauders x20 - MoS, FC, Shield, LA
Marauders x15 - MoS, GW, FC
Marauder horsemen x5 - LA, Flails
Hounds x10

Knights - MoK, Lances

Pretty straight-forward. C&C?

Cobrak
28-02-2009, 20:38
just some questions.

1. Why take lances on the knights? when they lose magical attacks and are then only S4 except on the charge when they could be S5 the whole time with magical attacks(for those blasted ward saves and ether units)?

2. have you tried the Glave of Putrification?
if not i would suggest it on your exalted. (makes any multi-wound units/modles way more killable)

Angelust
28-02-2009, 20:54
I considered the glaive on the exalted, for greater daemon nuking or dragon nuking. I had problems fitting the points in without sacrificing something else important...though I'm still tempted to do it.

Lances: I modeled the lances, and I usually like the Khorne knights to steamroll on the charge. I am finding, however, that they are often gettin baited and charged, which makes them much less formidable. I have some nurgle knights painted too, which could be more of a tank. I can go either way. (I do prefer the look of my khornish knights though)

Cobrak
28-02-2009, 21:05
i will agree they do look nice and with the amount of unit champs you have if you dropped 2 or so you would have the points for the glave. and with such little magic offense it seams more useful to drop the book and take the glave. as another op as i see you went more deffensive.

Angelust
28-02-2009, 22:36
How about...

Archaon
Sorc - lvl 1 - Puppet
Sorc - lvl 1 - Scroll, Book of Secrets
Exalted - MoT, Disc, Gold Eye, glaive, shield, blood-roar

Warriors x18 - MoS, Shield, FC, Rapturous Ban
Marauders x20 - MoS, GW, FC
Marauders x20 - MoS, FC, Shield, LA
Marauders x15 - MoS, GW, FC
Marauder horsemen x5 - LA, Flails
Hounds x10

Knights - MoN

Made the knights Nurgle knights instead, and removed the lances. This means they aren't quite as choppy-killy as the Khorne ones with lances, but they can grind away units with their S5 weaps. This means, however, I don't have S6 attacks, and my Strength caps out at 5, even with Archaon. I'm not sure how this would fair against a Jurassic Park list or other monster heavy list, as the glaive is useful only if it gets through to wound.

Cobrak
28-02-2009, 23:01
its combat heavy and against monster heavy lists you put archaon and his knights work doing what they do best kill big things and squish units

Neknoh
28-02-2009, 23:30
¤cracks fingers¤

What you must remember with Archaon is that he is not only a combat beast, but he is an INCREDIBLE infantry enhancer, units of 20 marauders are fine and dandy, but you really do want larger blocks, units of 25 with Lightarmour, Shields and Full Command are good, Mark of Slaanesh on them and they clock in at 180 points, three units of these makes for 580 points of an army, with Archaon and the Swords of Chaos, we are now looking at around 1500 points. Remember to keep your knights cheap unless you really do want one bigass über unit, Mark of Khorne on five knights with no upgrades is 230 points and will serve as The Swords of Chaos requirement, it'll also help you reach those 1500 points.

Now, that leaves us 2250 points, that is another unit of Knights and we are looking at 500 points, these can be used to buy yourself two Sorcerors, keep them Level 1 and mark them nurgle, don't really bother giving them magic items, a scroll perhaps, but not needed, they are there to snipe unit champions and enemy characters. If you do this, we are looking at aproximately 200 points left for the army.

These can now be spent on Marauder Horsemen, something your list is currently lacking, two units of five with musician and Flails and the Mark of Slaanesh comes at 91 points a piece, this makes for 182 points, you can still equip each unit with Throwing Axes and you are looking at 202 points.

You now have:

Archaon
Level 1 Nurgle Sorceror
Level 1 Nurgle Sorceror

25 Marauders
- Mark of Slaanesh, Lightarmour, Shields, Full Command

25 Marauders

25 Marauders

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Mark of Slaanesh, Musician, Flails, Throwing Axes

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Mark of Slaanesh, Musician, Flails, Throwing Axes

5 Knights of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne

5 Knights of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne

this should prove to be the type of army you are looking for, a massive infantry centre with both knights and horsemen backing them up, send Archaon off on his own to butcher cavalry and toughness 3 infantry, don't attempt to solo anything with toughness 4 from the front though.

If you want warriors, it is easy enough to drop a Marauder unit and possibly a horsemen unit, this should leave you with 271 points, enough to buy you a Warrior unit of manageable size

EDIT: ok, had a closer look at your second list, may I suggest moving five GW marauders from the 20 unit into the LA Shield 20 unit to make 2x15 and 1x25, will look and play better I reckon.

Furthermore, I think you are overgearing on characters, the puppet is not really needed, and I think your Exalted would benefit more from a Flail or a Halberd than the Glaive, as said, you need to get a wound through, and that is easier with high strength, especially since you will be putting out some spells as well, basically, don't count on the glaive to work when given to something other than a lord, remember, the Exalted should, prefferably, survive the return attacks as well. Drop the glaive to free up some points, also split the hounds into two units of five.

I too am a bit worried about your low strength, consider giving greatweapons to your warriors, they can be properly mean with them, AND you are freeing up 25 points by dropping the glaive and swapping the shield for a hallberd/Flail. You can get more points from dropping the puppet or the scroll.

Angelust
01-03-2009, 02:50
Nekoh - THanks for the tips, some really good things to think about.

I'll have to work with the models I have, though, which are...

About 63 marauders total, which means basically 60 to work with in normal RnF setup.

I have two units of painted knights - 5 Khornate w/ lances - 5 Nurgle w/ hand-weapon

I do have lots of marauder horsemen on call, however.

As to the advice:

Marauders - I like the 2x15 and 1x25 setup. I was thinking that big units of ranked up GW marauders were kind of underwhelming.

How about 2x25 of marauders, shield, LA, FC, MoS. 360 pts total, and pretty solid.

I'd like some warriors in there, not for tactical reasons so much, but because I love the models and this is more casual gaming.

EDIT: Here's the new list based on Nekoh's suggestion

Archaon
sorc - lvl 1, MoN
sorc - lvl 1, MoN

Warriors x18 - FC, MoS, Rapt Banner
Marauders x25 - FC, MoS, LA, Shields
Marauders x25 - FC, MoS, LA, Shields
Hounds 2x5
Marauder Horsemen - Flails, LA

Knights - Lances, MoK
Knights - MoN

That leaves me with 22 pts to play around with. If I trim something down, I could add 10 marauders w/ greatswords or to add a little more beef...

craskie666
02-03-2009, 15:20
swords of chaos have to be undivieded as in the rules for them

Neknoh
02-03-2009, 16:40
Do read the new rules for Archaon craskie.

And I really like this new army better, I do believe it will work a treat, you retained what you liked about your own army and incorporated some of the points made in the thread, I do honestly believe you will like playing this army.

And what is even better, when you tire of using Archaon, a Banner of the Gods exalted together with a Chaos/Sorceror Lord of up to 400 points will be a fully viable replacement for Archaon and will still make the army play fairly similar.

Ultimo ninja
02-03-2009, 17:11
I got a question.....I am making an army with marauders (thanks neknoh!) but i HATE the marauder models. What can be used instead? Any models thta would make good cultusts to fill in for the barbarian look?

Angelust
02-03-2009, 17:13
The last thing I was considering, having 22 pts left over, was to give the sorcerors some MR2 to protect the marauder blocks. Fury of the blood god on one, and then trim 23 pts somewhere to give collar of khorne to the other....

Archaon can ride with the warrior block at first, giving them MR2. That's pretty solid anti-magic when it comes to being targetted, though it doesn't mean much for army-enhancing magic.

Where should that last 22 pts go?

Neknoh
02-03-2009, 17:23
I am going to be incredibly boring now... but a scroll perhaps? Archaon, your Knights and your warriors are all HIGHLY susceptible to Spirit of the Forge, I had one kill nine warriors when I played as empire the other week... NINE warriors.

As for marauder models, you could always take the knife and greenstuff to Empire Militia, Empire State Troopers and Empire Flagellants as well as Men at Arms. Some basic greenstuffing and slap them on 25mm bases and you're set.

Lafkak
02-03-2009, 21:08
Honestly, as for the Marauder conversion question, there's some interesting things you can do. I had a leftover Beast Herd from Hordes of Chaos, so I run the Herd (HW+shield) as Marauders with the Mark of Tzeentch (since that's how they're painted, honestly they should be given SOME mark and painted accordingly) and I have another unit of actual Marauder models with Flails to represent the "regular" unmutated Marauders.

I did a similar thing with my other units, my leftover Horrors got some Marauder parts glued onto them and I gave some of them converted weapons making them Forsaken (I think the models fit the fluff well here, esp. the D3+1 attacks part), my old Screamers turned into Spawn or Discs for converted Sorcerers, and my leftover Flamers became my Hellcannon Crew in lieu of the Dwarfs :)

Angelust
04-03-2009, 08:15
Played round 1 vs. an amateur w/ Teclis list. Massacre in my favor. Onto round 2!