PDA

View Full Version : Picking an Army

Fenlear
28-02-2009, 18:57
I figured I would ask as the picking an army guide is REALLY dated and the sections stating army popularity are useless. It refers to EVERY army as being a popular choice. I have been away from the hobby a long time and have been working on the starter box. As I'm painting the final pieces I'm trying to decide which army to go with. Having Goblins and Dwarfs finished already is NOT a factor; I wouldn't want the low quality models in my final army anyways. I've long E-bayed everything years ago and I'm starting from scratch. The main two factors that I want to go with in choosing my army is picking something that is at the bottom end of popularity and something that can at least be competitive without being broken (no daemons and VC). I go with power builds so an army that isn't even capable of one is of no use to me (no Greenskins). I would be willing to hold off and wait for Skaven or TK(I know they arenít very popular) to come out if enough confirmed rumors surface making them sound like a good option, otherwise I wouldn't want to go with something thatís long waiting for their new book. If anyone has a list (or could make one without guessing heavily) of world-wide popularity on the armies that would help.

dreameater
28-02-2009, 19:52
I am having the same problem but I have narrowed mine down to Dwarves, Empire and High elves but I don't want a popular army so can anyone help us both

slingersam
28-02-2009, 20:24
I just started lizardmen, the one problem I had with them
is they have no UMPF, they need some kind of heavy hitter.
But is still a great army

SlaaneshSlave
28-02-2009, 20:33
Skaven are the lowest sellers of fantasy armies. And they are great fun.

Laughingmonk
28-02-2009, 20:43
I just started lizardmen, the one problem I had with them
is they have no UMPF, they need some kind of heavy hitter.
But is still a great army

huh?

I seriously don't see it. Lizardmen have powerful magic, dead hard fighty heroes, strong heavy cavalry, very powerful infantry, stegadons, and carnosaurs.

@ the OP:

I agree with slaaneshslave. Skaven are probably your best bet. They are good now, and will probably be good later as well.

Stuffburger
28-02-2009, 20:51
Skaven, or brettonia. As far as I know both are fairly uncommon, reasonably powerful.

Cronanius
28-02-2009, 21:12
If you're into tactics (ie. you've played chess before and enjoy it), I would recommend Tomb Kings. The only issue with them is that yes, you WILL have trouble building a "power army" (when you say this, I immediately think chaos knights - TK really doesn't have that kind of ranked hammer, although ushabti come close). And the only real way to build a competetive army is to go magic-heavy; we need it because we can't march. But when it works, MAN does it work.

Light chariots can be a fantastic hammer and a lot of fun, and a well played unit of Tomb Guard makes a damn good anvil.

And scorpions, for 85 points, are way overpowered. I love them :D.

Problem is that our core is mostly garbage.

If you're looking for something a little more mainstream (and I think you are) I'll recommend Dark Elves. Even though they gained quite a few new followers with the last edition of the army book, I don't think they'd still be considered "mainstream". They have fantastic smashy-smashy units (Black Guard and Cold One Knights); they have some *great* core units (Repeater Crossbowmen and Black Ark Corsairs come to mind), and if you like a powerful magic phase, look no further. Their "Hate" rules applies to *everybody*, and they have pretty much the highest base initiative of any other army.

Weaknesses are that they *are* getting a fair bit more exposure now that they aren't awful, and I'd say that their movement isn't better than mediocre.
The other main weakness: They're Elves. Nobody likes an elf ;).

Just my 2 cents.

CaliforniaGamer
28-02-2009, 21:17
TK definitely dont have what I would call a "power build" in any shape whatsoever atm.

In terms of the original ? a few spring to mind as not insanely popular but still power buildable:
~Empire with 2 Stanks or War Altar or a combo thereof
~Any of the Elves, all are strong. If I had to rank them: 1. DE 2. WE 3. HE

Von Wibble
28-02-2009, 21:42
Skaven are the lowest sellers of fantasy armies. And they are great fun.

That of course may well change when the new army book is released.

Beasts and TK are the other 2 armies on the horizon.

Fenlear
28-02-2009, 21:51
@Cronanius I most definitely am NOT looking for the mainstream if you read my post at all. I use to have a Dark Elf army long ago when they were under powered and not very popular. Now being mainstream, they are not something that I'm too interested in.

Sounds like Skaven may be what I'm looking for from whatís been provided. I may want to wait until their release when the new minis come then.

The main reason I go with the unpopular choices is the element of surprise. Most people know what the power armies and builds are so design their armies specifically to go against them. I like to make the opponent question himself about what I'm even trying to do in the first place, let alone try to design a force to go against it. I do the same in chess tournaments. You go with a formation that people don't see much and all of a sudden they go from playing 10 moves ahead to only playing 4 moves ahead.

Please keep the suggestions coming, itís a long ways until the Skaven release.

sroblin
01-03-2009, 00:16
But if you like power builds, Fenlear, your opponent will be able to expect what's coming (even if it is objectively powerful.)

For instance, the skaven powerbuild, the Skryre/Shooty Army of Death (SAD) is so well known, it has become a generic term for similar builds in other armies. Even though Skaven aren't very popular right now, this build is famous. The goal of using max-powered lists and surprising your opponent is fundamentally in contradiction.

There are of course other ways to field Skaven that may in fact be powerful; for instance, their is one strategy of maxing out their horde aspect with tons of Clanrats and Slave units, using checkerboard deployment etc. Personally, I think limited board size limits the effectiveness of horde armies in Warhammer, but this approach has its adherents and it might come as more of surprise for your opponents.

Also, if you're waiting for the release of the new army, this will likely be the occasion in which people will be paying the most attention to the capabilities of the new list, and the army will be at it's most popular (it's never more popular than when it first comes out). So keep that in mind.

woodulikeanother
01-03-2009, 01:41
go with Ogre kindoms they seem likea power build army, or brettonia, alot of heavy hitting because of full knight army basically and trebuche (however you spell it) are nice

Bum
01-03-2009, 07:56
go with Ogre kindoms they seem likea power build army, or brettonia, alot of heavy hitting because of full knight army basically and trebuche (however you spell it) are nice

OK Have had issues since they were released, let alone in the new edition. Bret's can be a real powerful army, but I've seen some people get bored quickly with them as a lot of builds can turn out to be point and click.

Skaven are a great choice, but the amount of clanrats you ahve to paint can be frustrating.

Foegnasher
01-03-2009, 08:09
Welcome, clanbrother.

hope you like painting rank and file, to do skaven right, you are goin to need oodles. i have been working on mine for more than 5 years. and i got the horde, boy.

Skaven Horde play is a thing of beauty. forget the sad. forget 13 powerdice, max your drops/models and watch as EVERY oponent starts sweating as you line sideline to sideline on the board, and then crush him with piles of mooks.

GOD i love this army.

Amdga
01-03-2009, 08:16
you could continue with dwrves, i dont know how popular they are but from the threads in this forum i dont think they are as popular as chaos or elves. you copuld also go for wood elves

Pulsks
01-03-2009, 08:18
Welcome, clanbrother.

hope you like painting rank and file, to do skaven right, you are goin to need oodles. i have been working on mine for more than 5 years. and i got the horde, boy.

Skaven Horde play is a thing of beauty. forget the sad. forget 13 powerdice, max your drops/models and watch as EVERY oponent starts sweating as you line sideline to sideline on the board, and then crush him with piles of mooks.

GOD i love this army.

The thought of that many drops scares me. D:

Foegnasher
01-03-2009, 08:58
The thought of that many drops scares me. D:

my current army has 22. 333 models.

and it's small.

sammyg
01-03-2009, 09:22
then it all depends on your style. empire=versatile, dwarves=elite and greenies=hordes. just remember that there's no magic for dwarves, and that there are a ridicolous amount of options with greenies.

personally, i'm hopig to get either daemons of slannesh or bretonnians, so i can use a fast, hard-hitting army. any suggestions would be appreciated.

selone
01-03-2009, 11:45
I'd recommend skaven or brettonia, they're both pretty good, have decent builds and aren't that played.

Neckutter
01-03-2009, 11:50
some things to think about:
get into an army that you like first off. regardless if you win or lose, if you love your models/army it doesnt matter the outcome of the game.

secondly pick a new army. that way it wont get changed anytime soon, and your purchases wont become valid.

Cronanius
06-03-2009, 02:39
From the description you gave (as a chess-player), I'm actually *surprised* that you didn't just grab Tomb Kings right off the shelf! They're a tactician's dream, and few (if any) armies in WHF have the tactical capabilities of a 2000 point TK army.

Sure, they don't have any "point and click" units, but a unit of fast chariots with a Tomb King can tear the heart out of a surprising number of enemies! So you *say* you want a power army, but from your last post, I really feel that you're looking for an army that you can use to confound your opponents with tactical genius. Tomb Guard with the Icon of Rakaph is potentially one of the most dangerous ranked units in the game - a free reform prior to charge declaration coming from a unit with killing blow is *vicious*. Tomb Kings can effectively use the 40k "Deep Strike" ability with one of the nastier monsters (especially for points) in the game, they can get a Sixty Inch Charge with carrion, and their magic, played well, can come as a night-unstoppable storm, causing charges and building up attacks in numbers that will stagger your opponent. And when a Tomb Scorpion hits from the rear, chariots and carrion on either flank, and tomb guard from the front, there isn't a unit in warhammer that can stop you ;).

So I just thought I'd try to sell that to your chess-player side ;). I also enjoy a good game of chess (though I suck at it), and find TK to have more tactical options than any other army available, despite their marching disability.

Hope this helps ;).

jason
06-03-2009, 03:22
they can get a Sixty Inch Charge with carrion

You can't move carrion more than 40 inches in a turn because flyers don't double movement on the charge, and a movement spell can only be cast on a unit once per turn. Of course, we can also move this into the Tomb Kings Wishlistery. :D

TheForsakenLord
06-03-2009, 03:35
I was thinking about Tome kings myself.
yes no Power builds but they seem like good fun.
and CHARIOTS EVERYWHERE

PapaSmurf
06-03-2009, 04:00
no one has said much about the humble empire so I'll give it a go. The empire is an incredibly diverse army, It does have some power builds (double stank and walter, Knight spam w Stanks) and it is one of the few armies that I've played that can be competitive in ALL phases from movement to magic to shooting, even CC if you play it right.

Their cannons are the best in the game and they have 3 other war machines (the mortar is my personal fav, sure only Str3 but pie plate!) and 5 other shooting units, along with special rules for picking out individual enemies

You can build a fairly effective magic wielding list and Warrior priests can add a bit of magic and help out in the combat phase. Walter makes things even better keeping the prayers and adding another bound spell

Stanks and IC knights are nice for smashing things and the humble Empire swordsman is a very sturdy and versatile anvil. Add to that the special detachment rules and the Empire general can start to smile

The crazed loonies can tarpit almost anything giving you time to smash it in the flank or rear, pistoliers can fly around the field march blocking, shooting and taking care of lone wizards or war machines

really they can compete in all phases and have a variety of models and characters that mean the painting doesn't ever have to be boring. Fluff wise its hard to knock them, their the biggest nation around

So don't drop the empire without giving it atleast a good look

PapaSmurf

Cronanius
06-03-2009, 15:23
You can't move carrion more than 40 inches in a turn because flyers don't double movement on the charge, and a movement spell can only be cast on a unit once per turn. Of course, we can also move this into the Tomb Kings Wishlistery. :D

So yeah, obviously I fail at life in general, and am not to be trusted. Sorry about that (still... 40" carge is STILL the longest in the game).

jason
07-03-2009, 04:32
So yeah, obviously I fail at life in general, and am not to be trusted. Sorry about that (still... 40" carge is STILL the longest in the game).

Yeah, I knew where you were coming from ... and I trusted you when you helped me out with my latest list. :angel: