PDA

View Full Version : Magic and Challenge Questions

ZoomDog
01-03-2009, 01:54
Just after some clarification on spells; which of them need Line of Sight? Obviously Magic Missiles, but I can't find any references saying that other spells do. This would imply that MM's are the only spells that do, but then why do other spells sometimes have "Does not need line of sight"?

And on a slightly related note, you can't cast into close combat unless a spell states otherwise. Invocation of Nehek does not state that, but then says that if they're charged that turn the new units don't get charge bonuses. Does this mean you can cast it into close combat, or does it rely on something moving them into combat this turn after Invocation is cast?

Lastly; if a solo character charges a unit and engages in a challenge, is another unit allowed to them charge that character from behind while the challenge is still going? I would assume yes, but they won't actually be able to do anything as the only model they're in contact with is the character, who's still locked away in a challenge.

Cheers!

stripsteak
01-03-2009, 02:32
Just after some clarification on spells; which of them need Line of Sight? Obviously Magic Missiles, but I can't find any references saying that other spells do. This would imply that MM's are the only spells that do, but then why do other spells sometimes have "Does not need line of sight"?

aside from magic missiles no spell by default requires line of sight. spells that require line of sight will mention this in their rules.

And on a slightly related note, you can't cast into close combat unless a spell states otherwise. Invocation of Nehek does not state that, but then says that if they're charged that turn the new units don't get charge bonuses. Does this mean you can cast it into close combat, or does it rely on something moving them into combat this turn after Invocation is cast?

yes according to the vampire FAQ nehek can be cast into combat because it is strongly implied by the last paragraph...why they didn't just errata a sentence into it to make it clear i don't know.

Lastly; if a solo character charges a unit and engages in a challenge, is another unit allowed to them charge that character from behind while the challenge is still going? I would assume yes, but they won't actually be able to do anything as the only model they're in contact with is the character, who's still locked away in a challenge.

Cheers!

i believe thats how it would work, there is no restriction on anything in the challenge accept that challengers can only attack each other. in the latests faq they've also stated that outside of challaenge b2b effects can still affect the challengers, such as talisman of saphery.

Gazak Blacktoof
01-03-2009, 08:43
The unit can't attack the character in the challenge but they can still add a hefty combat reolution bonus.