PDA

View Full Version : forgeworld stuff on ebay - why so expensive???

jimbo1701
01-03-2009, 17:40
I've been browsing FW stuff on ebay and cannot fathom why on earth people bid so much on it. I'm not talking about the pro-painted/assembled stuff, just the models that come exactly as you would get them from forgeworld.

For example, today I saw a MKIV venerable dread (22 from FW) going for 36 with a few days still to go!! (no arms either) The shipping cost for it was about the same if not more that FW would charge. Then I saw a dread weapon going for 10 - why when FW charges less than 6 and shipping works out the same?

Is their international shipping just stupidly expensive or something? I can't imagine why else people bid so much. There's always the time factor, although auctions take time to end and then people don't necessarily ship straight away either.

Please discuss and offer input - I may consider a change of career if I can start retailing FW stuff at a 50% markup with guaranteed sales!!! (just kidding)

01-03-2009, 17:47
i have also noticed this, i wanted a leman russ vanquisher turret but it was going for more than 1.5 to 2x more than forge world, i could have bought the whole damn tank.

its the auction fever, some people get it they see something and they want it and don't want to lose it. its kinda like gambling

Johnnyfrej
01-03-2009, 17:47
That's just stupid people who think they can get away with selling stuff overpriced.

Morganstern
01-03-2009, 17:54
not always so, often it's stupid people that think that if its on e-bay, its a good deal.

Kymmerus
01-03-2009, 17:54
I don't get this either... the only reasons I can think of are the same ones that occaisionally drive me to get my Forgeworld models in hand at games day:

1) You can see them. --> With the auction you can get pics of it and know what kind of condition the casting is in. Could pay a premium on this one if you're skittish about working with resin or need to eliminate the odds of sending a defective piece back I suppose. Though most of the stories I've heard indicate they're good at replacements if needed.

2) Taxes, Brokerage fees etc. --> The shipping itself on the item may be reasonable from Forgeworld, but perhaps brokerage is being considered when people are bidding up the price in the auction?

(I had a big Forgeworld order worth $1500 CAD expressed to me via UPS and Brokerage cost a further $180 CAD) So it is potentially an added expense if you're paying for shipping then brokerage on top of the mini's price where you are...

marv335
01-03-2009, 17:58
I lean more towards stupid people than greedy sellers.
when stuff goes that high, it's usually because a couple of people have got into a bidding war and neither will admit defeat.
I've seen it happen before to stuff I was selling.
I listed some kreig stuff starting at 99p and it went up to 45 + shipping. it ended up costing the winning bidder 15 more than if they'd just bought it from FW.
:D

Bunnahabhain
01-03-2009, 18:04
There is one good reason.

Forge world do take their time to produce and ship stuff, people can be waiting weeks or months for things they've paid for. With Ebay, you get in in a few days.

Paying to avoid a long wait is not unusual.

Creeping Dementia
01-03-2009, 18:06
I'm pretty sure it's just stupid people. The real way to identify the greedy seller is by looking a the shipping costs, it usually doesn't have much to do with asking/starting prices. I've been bidding on a bunch of sisters stuff lately and have lost a bunch of auctions because people are either too lazy or too stupid to realize that there are online e-bay stores where you can get the stuff cheap and with free shipping, instead of basically paying retail when you include auction price and shipping.

So, experience in the past couple weeks makes me think that some people are just stupid, and can't figure out that shipping costs money too, or do simple currency conversions.

WH40KAj
01-03-2009, 18:11
For me, I'd not like giving my payment details online. Same goes for paypal- so paying a little more to pay via cheque on ebay works for me

WH40KAj

starlight
01-03-2009, 18:17
Lazy/inattentive people. :(

When bidding (the little I do anymore) I set my max price slightly below the best price I can get online and walk away. No bidding wars, no sniping, nothing. If I lose, I can still get it for about the same as I would have bid anyways. :p I also tend to go for full armies and such to get the *bulk discount* effect. :)

Anodai
01-03-2009, 18:46
I know I guy who got a 2nd ed (I think, not sure exactly, but it was old), shadowsword for like $20 off ebay.So not everything there goes for more than its worth.

Gustovic
01-03-2009, 18:49
There is one good reason.

Forge world do take their time to produce and ship stuff, people can be waiting weeks or months for things they've paid for. With Ebay, you get in in a few days.

Paying to avoid a long wait is not unusual.

Months for me ( 3 months for a Hydra, Earthshacker, 2 Dreadnoughts and weapons)
I agree with all others, it's the bid fever.

finbob
01-03-2009, 18:57
I saw a Sorscha of Khador figure go for over 25 a few weeks ago. Because the person auctioning it put " Imperial Guard Female - Valhallan" as the description. Nevermind that a new one only costs about 5.

Billpete002
01-03-2009, 19:00
I generally big 1 time with a 30% discount in mind which is 5% better than most online stores (and much better than FW prices) - if I win yay if not o well. There's no good reason to pay more money for an already overpriced piece of plastic ;)

Bregalad
01-03-2009, 19:06
People stupid/lazy enough not to find the Forge World website and order directly may be stupid/lazy enough not to check prices. Seems to work.
All others just buy from Forge World as easy as from ebay and of course get it cheaper.

MrGiggles
01-03-2009, 19:46
That's just stupid people who think they can get away with selling stuff overpriced.

Actually, I'd say it's the smart people who know they can get away with selling overpriced merchandise. The 'stupid' folks fall into two categories. The auction fever people or the ones who just don't do their research. A good many people think Forge World stuff is expensive (and a good chunk of it is), but don't check to see how expensive it is. It's easy to set the mental view of 'expensive' too high for the actual widget.