PDA

View Full Version : Night Goblin question

The_Brigand
01-03-2009, 16:50
Hello there, Im just starting to get into fantasy. I play 40k and mordheim, and I have some friends who play fantasy so I want to slay their armies!

My question is, how do night goblins deal with large creatures like a bloodthirster or something. My friend who I will be mainly playing against has a fat demon army and I was wondering what kind of tatics I should be thinking about.

Malice&Mizery
01-03-2009, 17:09
Are you using pure Night Goblins? If so then there isn't a lot that can be done about a BT, with your low Ld it has a very good chance of scaring off a large portion of your army and can squish pretty much any unit your throw at it. I wouldn't really rely on Fanatics as any decent player will lure them out early with Furies. Well I would anyway :p

Now if you were to mix with Common Goblins, you could go Chukka-happy and skewer it. But that's all I can think of really, Gobbo's aint very good Daemon slayers if I'm honest.

MalusCalibur
01-03-2009, 17:10
With a lot of difficulty, would be my answer. The only thing I can think of that might be potent enough is Spear Chukkas, or a particularly tooled up character.

MalusCalibur

Braad
01-03-2009, 17:19
But that's all I can think of really, Gobbo's aint very good Daemon slayers if I'm honest.

If I'm to believe the general feeling here, no army is good at daemon slaying...

Fanatics have a range of 8 inch to get released, while terror has a 6 inch range. This means that if he wants to position his BT in such a way to scare of many units, that he can be swamped by swirling madness of doom.
Though it probably will take a lot to kill it.

If you stick to only night gobbo's, this will be your major weapon, I think.

However, squig hoppers (a large group) can also be nasty. I once had 6 and they chewed a stegadon to bits in a single round of close combat. Since they are immune to psychology, they don't have to deal with terror.

Also something I was thinking about, but haven't tried: Take Skarsnik and Gobblo + a big boss battle standard bearer with the banner that makes night goblins stubborn. Put them in a unit of 30-35 night gobbo's with nets and maybe some fanatics.
This way, if you get charged by a BT, you got a leadership of 8, stubborn, and -1S on the beasty, and 6 static combat resolution (3 for ranks, 1 for outnumbering, 1 for standard bearer, 1 for battle standard).
It will be hard keeping the characters alive though...

I think what you shouldn't do, is take max fanatics. My guess is that just sheer numbers will do you better.

Malice&Mizery
01-03-2009, 17:31
If I'm to believe the general feeling here, no army is good at daemon slaying...

Fanatics have a range of 8 inch to get released, while terror has a 6 inch range. This means that if he wants to position his BT in such a way to scare of many units, that he can be swamped by swirling madness of doom.
Though it probably will take a lot to kill it.

That's wear the Furies come in and bring out the Fanatics before the BT does his dirty work :)

Only a silly sod would chance sending 550pts of GD near N.Gobs before revealing thier Fanatics.

Coragus
02-03-2009, 03:50
If you pass your terror tests, and that's a big enough if, then you can hit the BT with multiple units and get it with combat res bonuses.

Cheer up! My night goblins are the only rank and file units I've ever had that ever wounded Archeon!

snottlebocket
02-03-2009, 05:10
Boltthrowers, doomdivers, fanatics, in that order.

w3rm
02-03-2009, 12:35
does a BT have frenzy?

Malice&Mizery
02-03-2009, 12:42
does a BT have frenzy?

Not anymore, no.