PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned of War

Joewrightgm
01-03-2009, 21:03
So I got a chance to do my first full game of War of the Ring with a good buddy of mine Ray.

Good Army (Ray)
6 companies of Warriors of Minas Tirith with captain and standard.
2 Avenger Bolt Throwers
4 companies of Rangers
2 Companies of Warriors of Minas Tirith with bows
3 com

Total: 610 pts

My army
5 Companies of Mordor Orcs equipped with shields with captain and standard
6 Companies of Mordor Orcs equipped with shields with Captain and Standard
3 companies of Warg Riders with captain and shields
The Mouth of Sauron
Total: 595

We rolled "Seize the Prize!" mission. There is 5 counters that are placed alternating back and forth between players. We then rolled for deployment, which was the Valley set up (you deploy on the short table edges)

At first all was going well; I managed to get my warg riders to pick up an objective, then beat the Knights in combat and stole the counter they had. The disordered knights sat around while my Warg Riders made off with the loot, only to be shot down by an avenger and the minas tirith bowmen.

I was casting magic, and the Mouth caused a company of Rangers to flee in horror. The orcs charge the men to their front and the men failed their terror check because of the Mouth

Because of Horde, and the charge, I had a ton of attacks that largely bounced off my foe's armor. I was soundly beaten and spent a turn disorderd. The other orcs were charged by the re-ordered knights, who not only got unstoppable charge, but achieved an Earth shaking charge and rode my other company to ruin.

End result I was soundly thrashed.

Things I learned:

Cavalry with lances are no joke, and if you get both unstoppable and earth shaking in the same turn, if you're on the pointy end, you're in for a rough day.

Magic, if you have it and the enemy doesn't, can be absolutly brutal. Depending on the spell, your opponent can either burn through precious might to stop it, or suffer what ever horrific thing the spell does.

Big units does not equal an auto win in combat. Case in point, I had almost 36 attacks on the men, but I needed 6's to hit the shield walled men and I was stopped cold by the defense.

Turning someone's flank is going to be a tactic that will need to be mastered, especially to get around the amazing protection the shield wall rule provides.

Anyone else play any demo games or otherwise have any quick and dirty lessons learned?

lotrchampion
01-03-2009, 21:44
Cavalry is good, but if it gets charged, especially in the flank, they will nearly always lose.

Magic is good, but not the be-all and end-all. It's fairly easy to build up some decent magical defence and still retain Might for those Epic actions.

Heroes are good, but best used subtley.

Archery can be BRUTAL.

WotR will be a far better test of generalship and positional play than 40k or Fantasy-the closest thing in terms of how important positional play etc is would probably be Blood Bowl or BFG.

borithan
01-03-2009, 23:20
Cavalry is good, but if it gets charged, especially in the flank, they will nearly always lose.Erg... learnt that lesson very early on. I really should have moved those archers first....

Archery can be BRUTAL.Can it? Frankly I found it totally secondary in the game I played. The trebuchet was nasty when it actually hit (but it was a lucky hit), but it did so only once, and the rest of the archers on the board killed about 8 guys. True, I imagine a longer game, with more archers, might see more deaths, but it was a bit lame in the game I played.

Triphos
01-03-2009, 23:29
Heroes are good, but best used subtley.

Unless the Hero is Gimli, in which case you want to run up to the enemy, use Epic Rage and Epic Rampage, and slaughter the entire enemy formation in one round.

blkdymnd
02-03-2009, 00:38
Erg... learnt that lesson very early on. I really should have moved those archers first....

Can it? Frankly I found it totally secondary in the game I played. The trebuchet was nasty when it actually hit (but it was a lucky hit), but it did so only once, and the rest of the archers on the board killed about 8 guys. True, I imagine a longer game, with more archers, might see more deaths, but it was a bit lame in the game I played.

It wasn't lame in our game, but not strong either. Archery is very much a support role, instead of a dominating role like it can be in some games. The most i ever did on one archery volley was 4 goblin casualties. When you're hitting on 5's usually at best, i wouldn't say it's strong.

VeriNasti
02-03-2009, 00:46
I found that with elves vs uruk hai, my elves could barely make a scratch - 16 shots per turn = no uruk casualties(str 2 vs Def 7 lol)

Joewrightgm
02-03-2009, 00:52
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Turn the flank! If you get into someone's flank either in combat or in shooting, you'll be killing more than if you were hitting the front. The trick is positioning your archers in such a way that as battle is engaged, they get clean shots down the enemies line.

With warmachines, this advice is more or less moot; they have enough strength to crush most anyone they hit.

blkdymnd
02-03-2009, 01:51
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Turn the flank! If you get into someone's flank either in combat or in shooting, you'll be killing more than if you were hitting the front. The trick is positioning your archers in such a way that as battle is engaged, they get clean shots down the enemies line.

With warmachines, this advice is more or less moot; they have enough strength to crush most anyone they hit.

Is there a bonus to shooting someones flank or rear? We didn't see that in our game today.

lotrchampion
02-03-2009, 01:53
The bonus is that since Shields only offer the best protection in the front arc, they don't get the bonus for using them. So you will strike at their basic defence when shooting or charging the flank or rear, not the shielded defence (the one in brackets in the profile). This is especially effective against defence 3 and 4 troops which rely on shields to bump them to 5 and 6 in the front, as you will wound them on 5s with bowfire.

blkdymnd
02-03-2009, 01:58
The bonus is that since Shields only offer the best protection in the front arc, they don't get the bonus for using them. So you will strike at their basic defence when shooting or charging the flank or rear, not the shielded defence (the one in brackets in the profile). This is especially effective against defence 3 and 4 troops which rely on shields to bump them to 5 and 6 in the front, as you will wound them on 5s with bowfire.

Oh yeah, got it. Thanks. :) I'm harad, shields are not well known to us :)

Deakor
02-03-2009, 02:08
had a demo game at GW last night. A couple of things I learned:

1. Archery can be brutal - I played a Mordor army against Gondor. Three Ranger companies tore me up.

2. Monsters - wow - even when charged, monsters are a real force to be reckoned with.

One interesting thing was that the game can swing wildly in a single turn. I guess this is true for any game but for most of the game I played I was being slaughtered. The aforementioned Rangers were just scything down my orcs left and right. All I had left were two companies of orcs and a troll. The troll was about to get charged by Knights of Minas Tirith and a large regiment (3 companies) of Men of Minas Tirith. The orcs were about to get shot up by 3 companies of Rangers and a company of Men of Minas Tirith with bows.

Then this happened:

1. Cavalry failed their charge (rolled a 1)
2. Men of MT failed their charge (rolled a 1)
3. Rangers + Men of MT w/ bows all shot (nearly 40 shots in total) and only killed one orc.

All of the sudden, I was in a spot to charge and do a lot of damage to the knights and Men of MT. As luck would have it, my dice were cursed as well, but it was amazing how quickly the tenor of the battle changed.

The Adept
02-03-2009, 07:54
In the demo game I played I found that it's really hard to break a unit, even if you win the combat. They gennerally just end up disordered, and recover the next turn so it isn't an issue. Even if they fail their check, it's generally only one or two hits.

Because of this, I'm dropping the Rohan force I was going to make, and I'm going with Isengard. It's all about grinding it out, and killing all your enemies, so I want high defence, high strength, lots of warm bodies, and Fight value be damned!

borithan
02-03-2009, 08:28
Hmm... during my game 3 units of infantry all got disordered... and then stayed that way, which really ****ed them up for the next turn... not that they were going to last long at that point anyway.

Mouldsta
02-03-2009, 16:34
Archers are really great at picking on depleted units - find a small unit that's down to it's last company (enemy armchers, small elite units without indomniable, combat units that have retreated) and plug them with some arrows - usually you only have to cause 1 or 2 casulaties to make that company half strength and therefore removed from the game. Even orc archers can do this.
Particularly good if you spot an epic hero that has run away from a bad combat and hidden in a small archer unit

The other great use is to use large units of archers to drive back enemy units that are going to either charge you or counter charge you, meaning you get to fight on your terms.

My other good tip is for monsters with might - heroic duel! Because most monsters have high FV you get a massive bonus meaning you win the duel, which nearly always slaughters the hero in question, and messes up their unit (there's a lot of overkill bonuses in duels), and then after that you get to fight normally. Throw on a heroic fight and you can even charge them again and have another go at killing them.
I ate Gandalf with a dragon because of this.

zedeyejoe
02-03-2009, 16:57
Cavalry is good, but if it gets charged, especially in the flank, they will nearly always lose.

I guessed that after seeing that charging cavalry get +6. Very limited ability to take wounds as well, so think glass hammer.

Infantry on the other hand are always going to fight last and get just +1 for charging, so it really does not matter if they charge or not.

Znail
02-03-2009, 17:26
I think the lesson here is that there is uses for all types of units and a mix is better then only one type.

Crovax20
02-03-2009, 18:59
Is the charge phase after shooting? If so would it be possible to plunge in arrows after a fight has completed, since both troops withdraw 1 inch from eachother and don't charge until the next charge phase?

Mouldsta
02-03-2009, 19:06
yup, you could have a fight, then in the next turn move to the flank, shoot their unit up a bit and then charge in again.