PDA

View Full Version : Stealing lists!

XXL
02-03-2009, 13:19
Hello folks,

I was wondering if there is a resource on the web where you can find new grand tournament lists and such.

Like to know what ppl is taking with success at larger tournaments. Not that I wanna copy them, but it would be fun to see if some of my own lists cut it.

Help is much appriciated! :)

Dead Man Walking
02-03-2009, 13:22
Put -your- lists up here and we'll let you know if it cuts it. You know the old saying, You show me yours and I'll make 'tiny' jokes about it. :D

Harwammer
02-03-2009, 13:27
Largely speaking, its not what you got, its the way that you use it :D

XXL
02-03-2009, 13:44
haha thats what im always trys to tell the gals... Alright I put my newest list under the "list"-tab in a sec, this time its VC.. it got destroyed against my friend, an abusive ugly DoC-playing guy :p, last time i played, made me sad lol

Dead Man Walking
02-03-2009, 22:38
The funny thing is the title of your post is 'stealing lists' and then you say in the message that you dont want to copy it, you just want to compare. :wtf:

Zeuzism
03-03-2009, 08:03
Well, I'm interested from a bit different angle:

I would like to know what the meta-game is at GT's in Europe. Not to improve my Dwarf list, by making them look like other GT Dwarf lists. I post my armies at other fora for peer comments to improve them. But I want to know what I'm up against.

I am planning to have an army painted for next fall and want to practice against other GT-style lists. So, it would be very helpfull to hand out these lists to my friends and ask them if they are willing to play these lists against my army so I can practice and improve my list and my skills.

As a general comment, I was always curious why GW does not publish the top 50 lists of the GT. And pick a battle or two of some of the top ranking armies to publish in the White Dwarf. Alternatively, they could ask the top two generals to do a battle in the studio and use that for the White Dwarf. That would be interesting to read. Because the battle reports in the White Dwarf are outright boring and [instert bad word here]. The Ogre General rushing to get into combat with High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer???!!! What?! Who would do that? Its insane and boring. Let alone who would be insane enough to field the High King because any sensible opponent would ignore him. These are NOT the type of battles I would like to read about. These are not interesting lists. I did that when I was thirteen and made my first list. Back in fourth edition...

Well sorry for the rant. But I think that a tournament can only be a real tournament with real status if all the armies are published, also between the heats and the final. Then you would create a nice competative environment. (You can - and should - still be a gentleman and a sportsman and be competative...)

Any advice how to have some decent practice at home with my friends against top-tier armies?

Z.

XXL
03-03-2009, 12:00
Well said, my english is not good enough to ask that good of a question :)

Neknoh
03-03-2009, 12:07
Ah, but therein lies a problem, different tournaments in Europe use different restrictions and rules templates, several use the ETC, whilst others use the Rogue Trader composition system, and others still use different ones. There are also tournaments without them.

Your best bet is likely look up the tournament you want to attend, do some googling for which comp they use and then do some more googling for the lists

Foegnasher
03-03-2009, 12:09
Largely speaking, its not what you got, its the way that you use it :D

as a skaven horde player i think i can confidently say "mine is bigger than yours".

selone
03-03-2009, 12:58
Well, I'm interested from a bit different angle:

I would like to know what the meta-game is at GT's in Europe. Not to improve my Dwarf list, by making them look like other GT Dwarf lists. I post my armies at other fora for peer comments to improve them. But I want to know what I'm up against.

I am planning to have an army painted for next fall and want to practice against other GT-style lists. So, it would be very helpfull to hand out these lists to my friends and ask them if they are willing to play these lists against my army so I can practice and improve my list and my skills.

As a general comment, I was always curious why GW does not publish the top 50 lists of the GT. And pick a battle or two of some of the top ranking armies to publish in the White Dwarf. Alternatively, they could ask the top two generals to do a battle in the studio and use that for the White Dwarf. That would be interesting to read. Because the battle reports in the White Dwarf are outright boring and [instert bad word here]. The Ogre General rushing to get into combat with High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer???!!! What?! Who would do that? Its insane and boring. Let alone who would be insane enough to field the High King because any sensible opponent would ignore him. These are NOT the type of battles I would like to read about. These are not interesting lists. I did that when I was thirteen and made my first list. Back in fourth edition...

Well sorry for the rant. But I think that a tournament can only be a real tournament with real status if all the armies are published, also between the heats and the final. Then you would create a nice competative environment. (You can - and should - still be a gentleman and a sportsman and be competative...)

Any advice how to have some decent practice at home with my friends against top-tier armies?

Z.

You do know that the white dwarf battle reports seek to showcase an army, and show off new models? That's why you face battles with people not using armies they know using whacky strategy.
I do think they should maybe do show battles but they haven't done that much.

Other sites have battle reports forums which more focus on tournaments whereas warseer is more versus your friends type of things.

Zeuzism
03-03-2009, 13:39
You do know that the white dwarf battle reports seek to showcase an army, and show off new models? That's why you face battles with people not using armies they know using whacky strategy.

Yes I know. Thats why I buy a White Dwarfs once every five years... The rest I I quickly scan in the store and then try to forget. ;)

Z.

Jericho
03-03-2009, 20:18
That and they get the rules wrong in the battle reports. It's funny how the guys who write the books don't know the rules :p

"Sure, my Hydra has a S7 breath weapon, of course! Why wouldn't it?"

"Okay, that's fair. My heroes get to roll on the Eye of the Gods chart when they kill your unit champions, so I guess your Hydra can have a S7 breath attack."

Anyway I definitely agree that featuring battle reports from tournaments would be a very cool idea. It would advertise their events, and provide much more insight into tactics than regular battle reports.

jax40kplyr1
05-03-2009, 15:09
I would support posting winning army lists and seeing some battle reports, at least at the GT level. Would definately be more interesting than reading the White Dwarf battle reports. As a note, everyone should know that they play 5 or 6 games at least with the new armies and pick the one where the brand new one wins (or least ties). The army selections always feature all of the new models (whether they are any good or not) and the player gushes about how great they are going to be in the battle. Plus there's nothing like where the Chaos Player tools up his list and the dwarf player says "Well I've seen gunline armies make or break Chaos armies, so I'll just take 1 of everything to be different". Riiiiiight.