slingersam
02-03-2009, 20:15
how many times can you cast a spell, my friend
says only once yet he takes his VC lord and keeps
casting this 1 spell (revives units) and says I can
only cast a spell only once can anyone clarify

huitzilopochtli
02-03-2009, 20:25
Usually a wizard can only cast a particular spell once per turn. Necromancy spells are an exception to this as is stated on page 38 of the vampire book. They may be cast multiple times per turn by wizards.

Edit, The reviving spell is a Necromancy spell.

EldarBishop
02-03-2009, 20:25
Generally each wizard can only cast any given spell once per turn.

Necromancy is an exception to this rule. They can keep casting the same spell over and over again, provided that they have the dice to do so.

stripsteak
02-03-2009, 20:31
to be more specific each wizard can only attempt to cast any spell he knows a single time, unless the spell/wizard/magic item they brought rule says otherwise.

you can't keep trying to cast the same spell over again if you fail to cast it.

slingersam
02-03-2009, 22:22
Ok thanks for the clarification Also Just hit my 300th post

Areku
02-03-2009, 22:44
I play vamps as my main, but out of curiousity, you're only allowed to *attempt* to cast a spell once? Like, say you fail to cast Fireball, you're not allowed to attempt to cast it again? I was under the impression you could try again if you failed to cast. You could only not try again if it went off and was either dispelled or went through.

(And yes, I understand necromancy rules, I meant in terms of the standard lores)

Spirit
02-03-2009, 23:48
I play vamps as my main, but out of curiousity, you're only allowed to *attempt* to cast a spell once? Like, say you fail to cast Fireball, you're not allowed to attempt to cast it again? I was under the impression you could try again if you failed to cast. You could only not try again if it went off and was either dispelled or went through.

(And yes, I understand necromancy rules, I meant in terms of the standard lores)

No, you cant. You may only roll to cast each of your spells once per magic phase. Unless specifically stated otherwise.

EldarBishop
03-03-2009, 00:38
Right, sorry wasn't specific enough.

It is in fact that - a wizard may only attempt to cast each known spell once per turn (unless special rules allow otherwise).

Neckutter
03-03-2009, 02:29
how many times can you cast a spell, my friend
says only once yet he takes his VC lord and keeps
casting this 1 spell (revives units) and says I can
only cast a spell only once can anyone clarify

whenever your opponent says something weird, like this, you should ask him for his rulebook and ask him to let you read where he can "insert-special-army-rule-that-breaks-the-BRB-here".

that being said, necromancy spells can be cast more than once in a phase from the same caster. it is in the lore of the vampires, opposite page from the spell list

ashaman76
03-03-2009, 02:39
Only VC can break the magic phase in such fashion. All other spell casters can only attempt each of their spells once.

Lord Dan
03-03-2009, 02:42
I couldn't see if anyone else mentioned this, but it should be clarified that different wizards may cast the same spell twice in one. For instance, say you have two wizards that both know the "fireball" spell. If one wizard casts Fireball, the other wizard is still free to cast fireball. The wizard that had already cast it, however, cannot cast it again that turn.

Staurikosaurus
03-03-2009, 03:51
Read the magic section of the main rulebook.

Gazak Blacktoof
03-03-2009, 09:10
Have a look at page 107 under, "Casting Spells", second paragraph-

"In a player's magic phase, each of his Wizards on the battlefield can attempt to cast each of his spells only once."

Vampire counts, ogres and tomb kings each have their own rules that allow them to ignore this restriction.

narrativium
03-03-2009, 09:50
No, an Ogre Butcher may only cast each of his spells up to once per magic phase. It just gets more difficult if another butcher already successfully cast it. The restriction still applies.

Vampires and Tomb Kings, as you say, do have exceptions.

Gazak Blacktoof
03-03-2009, 09:56
Yes sorry should have checked that its been a while since I used ogres.

slasher
03-03-2009, 10:54
Also read the WOC FAQ - its now possible for them to have 2 of the same spell and so could cast it twice. (edit - this is allowed by the book of secrets magic item)