PDA

View Full Version : Starting out questions.

redbeardthefarmer
03-03-2009, 00:37
Just a couple of quick questions for you folks here.

How does the gameplay differ between fantasy and 40k? I know the big difference of blocks of troops versus more individualized units, but I don't know how much else is different.

If I were to narrow my search for a starting army down to necrons, SM, nids, and tau, are there folks that could give me more specifics of these armies [specifically play style and painting and modelling]?

Thanks!
Redbeard

trigger
03-03-2009, 00:43
What style of play do you prefur.

Nids and TAU are compleatly different aspects of game play.Nids being heavy assault and tau heavy shooty.
Marines are/can be tailered ither way or be a balanced all rounder , and crons tend to be more shooty with some cool special rules and unts.

The_Argus
03-03-2009, 03:42
typically, warhammer fantasy requires a lot more foresight into a battle and is much less forgiving when you make a mistake. Also, placement and movement of regiments deeply effect the outcome of the game.
40k tends to lean more toward picking targets properly and knowing what to shoot and with what to shoot it

Necrotyr18
03-03-2009, 03:48
The simplest metaphor my mind can think of would be chess or checkers? Chess being fantasy and requiring a little more thinking and Checkers being 40k which is still fun but a little less mental power needed.

As for the armies I recomend reading the rulebook first and then reading the codex for each army one at a time and see which one sticks out in your mind the most.