PDA

View Full Version : World Eater's Paint scheme...

Trench_Raider
03-03-2009, 02:32
In a moment of madness I've decided that my next 40k army is going to be yet another RT style Chaos Renegade force. This one will be entirely Khorne flavored and built around a core of "Khorne Beserkers". To this end I'm collecting a force of Khorne marked RT renegades and the '92 World Eater figures (I'm working to procure a Bloodslaughterer as a "counts as dreadnaught" too) But I'm torn as to how to paint them.

Should I paint them in the varied, non-uniform style of Chaos marines in the early days as depicted in the "Slaves to Darkness" book? I took this stylistic aproach when painting my Slannesh Marines and I think they look great. Or should I use the more modern paint scheme as presented in the " 'Eavy Metal" photos of the '92 World Eaters?

Included are scans of the two styles I am refering to.

I've narrowed it down to these two choices. What do you think? Explain your answer.

Thanks
TR

Warpcrafter
03-03-2009, 03:02
I love the old chaos marines, they are so much cooler than the new ones.

SimonL
03-03-2009, 03:10
Seconded, I like the old "mutated and crazy" over the current "spiky and evil" theme.

The_Argus
03-03-2009, 03:39
I think that when in the business of khorne, the redder the better

Born Again
03-03-2009, 04:37
I think you should go with the modern look. It's well established that Khorne likes his red and brass.

The old models look fantastic though. I've often scanned through old catalogs of the old chaos models and wanted some. I like the new ones too, I just think they'd be great alongside each other (you could use the old ones as veteran troops, or possessed).

Occulto
03-03-2009, 04:42
That juggernaught looks like a soft and squishy plush toy! :p

Brucopeloso
03-03-2009, 08:10
Go for the old style mate!
And I demand pictures once you have finished ;->

Kudos to you

El_Phen
03-03-2009, 14:49
Personally, I prefer the '92 variant colourr scheme (and models too truth be told). As much as I love, and own, Rogue Trader era mini's I find that the level of detail is often...lacking shall we say? With regards to their paint scheme alone, if you're going to be making them Heresy 'Era then I'd certainly justify the more 'uniform' look of the '92 variant if only to show that the mutation rot has not set in just yet.

If mutation is your thing though then I'd definitely go with the '90-ish era ones. I suppose it boils down to how Chaotic you are.

Vandelan
03-03-2009, 16:57
That juggernaught looks like a soft and squishy plush toy! :p

I know! All I can think about is how I want a red cow of death plush toy sitting on my shelf...

Cuda
03-03-2009, 17:16
In a moment of madness I've decided that my next 40k army is going to be yet another RT style Chaos Renegade force. This one will be entirely Khorne flavored and built around a core of "Khorne Beserkers". To this end I'm collecting a force of Khorne marked RT renegades and the '92 World Eater figures (I'm working to procure a Bloodslaughterer as a "counts as dreadnaught" too) But I'm torn as to how to paint them.

I went the old style, some of my WE's still have bone white to show off the pre heresy era. I still have those old Chaos Marines in my army, and believe it or not I still have and use the first citadel paint set. Remember Ghoul Grey, Ruby Red?
I took the Blood Slaughterer head and put on my running Berserker Dread.
I painted mine by undercoating them black and then based them with Scab Red. I then went to Red Gore (my favorite) then I high-lighted it with blood red, then a Vomit Brown/Blood Red Mix. I used up the last of my Plasma Red Wash by putting 8 coats on all my units...nuts!
I don't like the latest look of the Berserker paint scheme, I prefer the deeper and rich color of the old Realm of Chaos.

Cuda...

AdmiralDick
03-03-2009, 18:07
its a tricky decision. personally, i would keep them a little more uniform than the RT style, because the randomised colour scheme is very in keeping with the themes of those who are devoted to the god of excess and sensation. so it would be reasonable to let that be 'their thing' and have your Khornate force contrast them.