PDA

View Full Version : PreHeresy Land Raiders and the Inquisition

ctsteel
03-03-2009, 06:16
Just recently I have been pondering the idea of one day obtaining a Forge World Pre Heresy Land Raider, to use as representing a more archaic, hallowed and elaborate Land Raider suitable for an Inquisitor Lord's personal transport. Basically making it stand out as a rarer and more valuable piece of tech than the current design being produced (which would be the version provided as a replacement to any chapter now and thus are more 'common' in nature).

However, given these are relics of a time when the Inquisition did not even exist, and Space Marine chapters would likely be very reluctant to part with their hallowed relics, I wonder: would the Inquisition even have access to these?

I do of course realise that it is my hobby, do what I want etc etc, however I am curious as to whether this is actually possible or likely to have happened - are there Inquisitors with Pre Heresy Land Raiders at their disposal? If so how did they acquire them?

I guess it is possible that a well known and respected Inquisitor Lord might be gifted with one from a chapter, or a cache of old tech might have been found and the Inquisition claimed it in secret.

Equally, at the time of the Inquisition's founding (at the Emperor's request it would seem), they may have been given a tithe of equipment and vehicles from the pool of resources that the old Legions had available to them, as they were being split into chapters.

The Grey Knights could have given one to a Malleus Inquisitor as they work closely together, but I'm not sure an Ordo Hereticus or even Ordo Xenos Inq Lord would have the connections required for a marine chapter to be willing to part with one of their revered relics.

Forge World don't have an option on their website, to buy one with Inquisition specific doors, only marine chapters or a generic Imperial Eagle option. This in itself is neither here nor there but it does add to my curiosity.

So - what do you think about the Pre Heresy Raider? Do you think they should be Space Marines only, should anyone get access to them, are there any sources of information as to how these might have been shared out after the Heresy, or where the Inquisition get their equipment from? And how do they look when fielded on the table?

Khornies & milk
03-03-2009, 06:49
FW do have Inquisition specific doors for a Land Raider...well unless the Pre-Heresy LR has different size doors, but they look the same to me.

As for the rest I'd just go with the usual "Inquisitors can requisition whatever they want", but yes it would be nice to find some historical reference.

The IA2 book makes no mention of the pre-heresy LR, only the Godhammer, Crusader, Helios, and Prometheus pattern Land Raiders, but surely FW references ALL their models somewhere in the IA books.

I've just found a picture of a GK Mk11B LR in the IA2 book, so if the GK's can have one why not an Inquisitor.

Aubec le noir
03-03-2009, 09:26
by the way who says that the deamonhunters don't exist in pre-heresy....nothing is clearly stated and there a lot rumours and myths about the foundation of the GK, so why don't you use a pre-heresy LR ?
Aubec :chrome:

decker_cky
03-03-2009, 10:05
Didn't pre-heresy guard have land raiders? It would make sense for their landraiders to go somewhere when they had their permission revoked, and where better than to an inquisitor?

silentsmoke
03-03-2009, 10:06
My Red Scopions has a Pre Hersey Land raider, which has been used on a few desparate occasions.

What you must remember is that the Inquisition will use what ever means needed - using any hardware/resources they can get there hands on.

What I am trying to say is just do it!! (Also the FW kit is nicer than the GW one)..

rodmillard
03-03-2009, 10:10
The IA books don't have a separate listing for the pre-heresy raider because the armament is no different from the godhammer. I have one with imperial eagle doors that I use as an inquisitorial transport, however my Arbites use repressors with eagle doors, so the LR ties in as an arbites vehicle.

Koryphaus
03-03-2009, 10:14
Didn't pre-heresy guard have land raiders? It would make sense for their landraiders to go somewhere when they had their permission revoked, and where better than to an inquisitor?

They went to the Space Marine Legions.

The pestilent 1
03-03-2009, 10:45
He found it on the lost planet "Coolstuffhereyay!" in the "Awesomesauce" sector.

Quicjly repainted it from it's original colours, and no one has been stupid enough to ask where an Inquisitor got an pre heresy Land Raider from since that fateful day :p

NightrawenII
03-03-2009, 12:11
By Emperors edict the Land Raiders are only SM vehicles. So you need very good sauce to clarify this.

grissom2006
03-03-2009, 12:38
theres nothing to stop a him from having a pre hersy design land raider after all so far model wise we've had 3 versions of the thing and do you really think the land raiders design would of suddenly changed over night because of the hersey. just how old is the land raider being used the space marines. besides that it's a cool model if a little on the steap side for what it is price wise

AndrewGPaul
03-03-2009, 13:25
Firstly, were Land Raiders removed from the Army/Guard, or were they just not issued any more? unless there's a quote for the former, I'd assume tha latter, because it means I don't have to ignore so much old RT-era fluff. :) In this case, the Inquisitor could have requisitioned one from a Guard unit, and simply never returned it.

Alternatively, it's not a stretch to suggest that some forgeworlds still build the older version. Perhaps the sponsons are easier to manufacture, armour and repair than the more modern ones. After all, Epic 40,000 shows various Chapters using 'pre-heresy' Land Raiders. Again, in this case, the Inquisitor could simply requisition one off the assembly lines.

Thirdly, is this Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus? Perhaps his Land Raider came from the Grey Knights?

NightrawenII
03-03-2009, 13:47
Firstly, were Land Raiders removed from the Army/Guard, or were they just not issued any more? unless there's a quote for the former, I'd assume tha latter, because it means I don't have to ignore so much old RT-era fluff. :) In this case, the Inquisitor could have requisitioned one from a Guard unit, and simply never returned it.

Alternatively, it's not a stretch to suggest that some forgeworlds still build the older version. Perhaps the sponsons are easier to manufacture, armour and repair than the more modern ones. After all, Epic 40,000 shows various Chapters using 'pre-heresy' Land Raiders. Again, in this case, the Inquisitor could simply requisition one off the assembly lines.

Thirdly, is this Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus? Perhaps his Land Raider came from the Grey Knights?

They were removed and given to SM Legions, because Emperor order this. After heresy, the Emperor was entombed in Golden Throne and no one have autority to remove His order.

Mannimarco
03-03-2009, 14:09
the pre heresy land raider is a stunning model and remember an inquistor can commandeer any equipment he needs, hi might decide he doesnt want to give it back to the marnes, do you really think they are going to complain?

FBI
03-03-2009, 14:32
It is indeed a great model. But i don`t thinka techmarine would leave it in the hands of the inquisition for any longer then is necesary. maybe mainstream codexchapter would not complain, but more remote and hardheaded chapters would get it back.

ctsteel
03-03-2009, 20:33
I started reading through the new White Dwarf yesterday, one of the Apocalypse armies on display in there (the Blood Ravens) has a pre heresy raider alongside the new plastic crusader and redeemer, which makes for a nice comparison of the size/shape and look when painted. Perfect timing too given my current ponderings in this thread.

I do rather like the ornate feel of the old style for the Inquisitorial use I was planning - for regular marine chapters I think I prefer the current version, it feels more....compact and efficient for military use I suppose (hard to find the right words). If I decide to pursue this project further, I might get in touch with Forge World and see if they can add Inquisition doors to the list of options, or even just make me a special swap or something.

TheBigBadWolf
03-03-2009, 20:44

I was just about to say that, some FW may have a better STC template to work from