PDA

View Full Version : Struggling

dreameater
03-03-2009, 20:39
OKay I have gotten back into the hobby and I have spent a good couple of weeks looking at the armies and I have narrowed it down to this.

I want an army which does not rely on combat res.
I want an offensive army with good magic.
An army which is played but not by the masses.
I want an army which has room for varity.

Thanks d:-)Dream:-(

mweaver
03-03-2009, 20:42
Wood elves? Lots of shootocity and magic and dancing about.

ashc
03-03-2009, 20:44
High Elves could be a good option for you Dreameater.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
03-03-2009, 20:44
Wood Elves, Good Magic, Good solid hard hitting troops, great archer fire and lots of options

innerwolf
03-03-2009, 20:48
Wood Elves, Good Magic, Good solid hard hitting troops, great archer fire and lots of options

I would say mediocre/average magic, glass hammer CC units, average shooting, but I left Wood Elves with a bit of dissapointment, so I could being only bitter...

Feefait
03-03-2009, 20:53
May be easiest to rule OUT what you dont want to play.No static cr, so no skaven, orcs, vc's or tomb kings i guess. Its all oretty subjective, LM kind of fit what you ar elooking for, but are popular, so are demons. Bretts dont have much for magic. It sounds like Elves of any flavor are what you are probably looking for.

moose
03-03-2009, 21:38
Ogres sounds like the ideal army for you, I would have said Warriors of Chaos but they're pretty popular these days.

Brettonia and wood elves also seem to fit the category, but ogres are funner, less played, very offensive, and have an interesting magic phase.

Veloxnex
03-03-2009, 21:56
Moose hits the nail on the head, Ogres. Loads of builds, wacky stuff and you can't got too far wrong with t4 w3 core

Malorian
03-03-2009, 22:05
Ogre's aren't magic heavy though.

I'd say a mounted WoC list is the way to go.

Few models, all combat with no ranks, and you can still have great magic.

w3rm
04-03-2009, 01:11
Chaos dwarfs!!!!!

ChaosVC
04-03-2009, 01:54
Chaos warriors? You can have good all cav army, don't bring a banner or musician cos thats a combat res. And definately many powerful magic.:skull:
But its a popular army because the models are just awesome.

Dark_Knight
04-03-2009, 03:37
I would have to say any of the elves would suit your purpose. It sounds like you want elite troops and they have elite all over their units. Multiple builds with magic for DE and HE that can be tailored to cripple your enemy... Well, you could have a lot of fun with that.

stripsteak
04-03-2009, 03:44
to me it sounds like ogre, wood elf, and highelf are the top contenders for that kind of army.

The Red Scourge
04-03-2009, 03:45
I would say mediocre/average magic, glass hammer CC units, average shooting, but I left Wood Elves with a bit of dissapointment, so I could being only bitter...

You sound a bit bitter. Wood Elves are great, but you do have to be fully aware of what you're doing with them. You're right about the magic though, they are definitely not a magic powerhouse, but they do have very useful and unique magic. Their CC units may be glass hammers, but this only applies to the elf part, the forest spirit part is very tough, and you need to have a good balance in the army. The shooting may be average in strength, but the ability to move and shoot without penalty does ensure that you can get a good number of shots off, right where you need it. A demanding but infinitely fun army IMO :)

WoC cavalry is where I started, and they are good. A little less demanding than WE yet also more fragile. They have lots of cheap sacrificial units to protect the hardhitting knights and dragon ogres, but this also means that when you lose those expensive hardhitters, you're also losing the game. They have some very aggresive magic and the marks allow you to customize your army either defensively or offensively.

The difference between the two are like the difference between wielding a hammer and a scalpel. Either crush your foes with overwhelming force, or outmaneuver him while slowly and steadily slashing him to ribbons. My personal preference is WE, they are a bit more rounded, and they fight well for me by usually massacring my opposition. With my warriors the victories are a lot less decisive – which isn't a bad thing at all :)

In the end WoC wins on good offensive magic (WE has some nice defensive magic, but it isn't worth it to go heavy on it).
But WE wins out on the most variation. You can go shooty, all mounted and nonconfrontational, very aggressive and close combat oriented and even do a more conventional stubborn battle line.

Condottiere
04-03-2009, 03:45
I'm inclined to recommend Dark Elves, since you could overload on magic, or take the Ring of Hotek and build a fast combat force. It has room for variety, but because it is so effective, it might not be what you are looking for.

Then you have High Elves, less effective, more fragile, but should have enough varied units.

Pulsks
04-03-2009, 03:55
Wood elves or all WoC cav army.

the_under_empire_clan
04-03-2009, 06:14
dark elves, high elves, and lizards is your bes bet

Jack Spratt
04-03-2009, 06:36
OKay I have gotten back into the hobby and I have spent a good couple of weeks looking at the armies and I have narrowed it down to this.

(

:confused:
And what army does not rely on combat resolution? What army does not fight in cc? What army shoots and magics all the way through to victory? What army can be called offensive and not rely on cc and combat res?

And why the @%# is it important how many people play the army you play? If you like it - it is yours and it is all about the love... and winning ofcause.

I do not get this question at all...:eyebrows:

Toomanymind
04-03-2009, 07:07
:confused:
And what army does not rely on combat resolution? What army does not fight in cc? What army shoots and magics all the way through to victory? What army can be called offensive and not rely on cc and combat res?

And why the @%# is it important how many people play the army you play? If you like it - it is yours and it is all about the love... and winning ofcause.

I do not get this question at all...:eyebrows:

What if you like it cause no one else likes it. :p

knightime98
04-03-2009, 07:52

Thanks d:-)Dream:-(

Only 2 armies meet these requirements..
Dark Elves and High Elves..

High Elves first (ASF, Hate DE's)
- does not rely on combat res.. (guess you mean static res like empire and skaven with ranks..)
- offensive army (umm.. Lion chariots, Bolt Throwers, Dragon princes, Sword masters, white lions, phoenix guard)
- good magic (High Magic with vauls unmaking, flames of the phoenix, shield of saphery, and an additional automatic dispel magic)
- army played but not by masses - definitely got the check mark here
- room for variety - lots..

Dark Elves (Hatred for all armies)
- does not rely on combat res (no check mark here.. they do on static res)
- offensive army (Cold One knights, War Hydra, Bolt Throwers, Black Guard, Cold one chariots, Witch Elves, Executioners, Cauldron, etc..)
- good magic (yeah, dark magic only second to high magic)
- army played but not in masses (no check mark here.. DE's are a hot army now)
- room for variety (yes)

These two armies are the best fit (in my opinion) for the given parameters.

slingersam
04-03-2009, 07:56
A skink Lizardmen army can be the perfect army for you, the reasons why:
-does not rely on Combat Resolution
-Can Take A Slann Mage Priest to be heavy on Magic, Backed up by 2x Skink
Mage Priest on EOTG for some more magic defense
-2x Skink Chiefs for some support or warmachine hunting.
-Skink and Kroxigor units for some heavy support when your stegadon charge into CC,
-Razordans/Salamanders
-then with what ever you have left over get some stegadons to add some much needed power to your list

Just remember you can take anything that is run by skinks

dreameater
04-03-2009, 17:24
Thanks I have decided to go with lizardmen any advice