PDA

View Full Version : name your models?

Eisenhorn
09-12-2005, 12:37
Hi i dont know if this is the right place to post this, but here we go:

Im going to name all my imperial guard models in my new army.:rolleyes:
So does any body know a good name generator. Coming up with cool names for 100+ models is not easy.

thanks in advanse :angel:

Puffin Magician
09-12-2005, 13:09
Here (http://www.kleimo.com/random/name.cfm)'s a neat little one that I use for science fiction names, it's great because of the "obscurity factor", so you can have real generic names or wacky H2G2 style names.

Some of the names are rather redundant or don't sound great; if I need more/alternative names I simply pick up the phone book and flip to random letters.

MacVurrich
09-12-2005, 13:29
here's another that I use at times
http://www.amazonminiatures.com/youandwhosearmy/names.asp

EVIL INC
09-12-2005, 13:32
You can always use ye olde baby name books. They come in handy for this sort of thing as well as role playing games and , of course, naming your baby. ;)

The Ape
09-12-2005, 13:56
I can understand naming your officers, but the individual soldiers? :eek:

Are you going to paint their names on their bases?

BaronDG
09-12-2005, 14:22
Are you going to rename them after they die on the battle field?

Tom - Heretic
09-12-2005, 14:23
I'm currently running a regimental roll for my latest praetorian army, with people from dysartes and miniworld signing up for duty:).

Eisenhorn
09-12-2005, 14:36
im nameing every one!!

theier names will be painted on the bases with their rank

X: Sgt Muck, Krp Pencala, Pr Jones, etc

i wil not give them new names when they die (im just considering them wounded and i have one hell of a field hospital so everybody is up and running for the next battle.)

they will however have theier actions recorded. and get promotions and demotions there after.

x: Krp Pencala - wounded 3 times - fled the battle field 0 times- 14 confirmed kills
Sgt Muck - wounded 4 times - fled battle field 1 time - 20 confirmed kills

so here sgt muck is soon up for demotion and krp pencala are up for promotion and taking over the squad

thanks for the generators guys

ps it is an all infantery army 1500pts:eek:

Rabid Bunny 666
09-12-2005, 14:57
i named my BTs, mainly knight names nicked from a film called "Excalibur"

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-12-2005, 15:54
I'm naming all my Space Marines with first and last names and giving them each a small backstory. Including the story to why a servitor and a Veteran Sergeant share the same last name.

For a nice name generator, try EBoN, the Everchanging Book of Names.

I have no idea where you download it though.

xNickBaranx
09-12-2005, 16:15
For my Angels of Absolution army (Dark Angels) I created a full roster for the 5th Company and the attached units from the 6th and 10th companies. Every model is named and I already know the names of the future models that will go into the army. All of my tanks, the ships from their fleet... Eveything! The entire army has proper tactical markings as well.

The models that have placards or scrollwork usually have their names painted on them. Otherwise they are all named underneath their bases with a piece of tape.

One day I'd like to play a campaign and come up with a casualty system so that I could sustain causlties, advance my scouts to marines, etc.

Not everyone has to get that "immersed" in their army, but if you aren't at least naming your characters and putting a little thought into your story line I think you are missing out on one of the most interesting and creative aspects of the hobby.

-Nick

EVIL INC
09-12-2005, 16:22
im nameing every one!!

i wil not give them new names when they die (im just considering them wounded and i have one hell of a field hospital so everybody is up and running for the next battle.)

they will however have theier actions recorded. and get promotions and demotions there after.

ps it is an all infantery army 1500pts:eek:
Sounds like a huge load of work. Good luck with that. Will this be as long as you own the army or for a series of games or what?

Icewalker
09-12-2005, 16:23
Whole army. Wow, that's quite an undertaking. I'm deathly bored right now, so I may as well number of all my necrons in binary/base 2 or something (hehe).

Eisenhorn
09-12-2005, 18:21
Sounds like a huge load of work. Good luck with that. Will this be as long as you own the army or for a series of games or what?

as long as i own the army.
and painting the names is easy i already did it with my tau and skaven army:eek: hehe.
the hard part is coming up with new names.

and im coruios if some models preform better than others and so on. it will be a little experiment :rolleyes:

TWB
09-12-2005, 18:38
You could use a book of babies names for first names and a phone book for all of the last names, a phone book will give you first names too, but the baby name book will give you the meanings behind names.

For an IG regiment it's good if you can get a theme behind the names, there might well be cultural reasons behind the names or types of name

EVIL INC
09-12-2005, 18:57
It is possible to have multiples with the same name. Just give them different last names. That can cut down on some of your research work. Of course, you will still have a load to do as well. I think you might find that some DO fare better then others. That might have more to do with you then the actual "luck" of the models themselves. For example, heavy / special weapons, better painted ones and so forth tend to not get chosen as quickly by the player when it comes to removal from the board.
Good luck though. :)

IncubiLord
09-12-2005, 19:17
Maybe you could use names like Surekill and Headshot, if some of the regiment comes from a more primitive world.
Then they might even earn their names on the table...
Nameless guardsman 28 lucked into killing an Eldar in CC, I'll call him Elfbane.

Sir_Turalyon
09-12-2005, 22:22
XCom and Terror from the Deep had good generator of male and female names from different Earth cultures. Always using it for Necromuda gangs.

Eisenhorn
09-12-2005, 22:39
well my army are light inf with camoline, iron disipline snipers(ratlings i wont us the models) and veterans.

they are from a agri world with lots of mountains and oceans(thus agri world :rolleyes:)

the regimet are a the second founding of the world (wich name i have not decided yet). they have the nick name "Bats" and have green/grey/blue uniform. (ill get pic up here soon :o)

all the officers and the veterans are soldiers of the first founding, how got hacked to pices fighting a ork/chaos incursen on theier homeplanet (wich is now clean).

im thinking about a mix of name types mostly (scottish/irish/norse).

Sir_Turalyon. can u provide a link or are those programs?
and i have already decided famely realtions. i have some brothers, twins and some father and
son(s). if i can get som female conversion i will even have some couples :p

IncubiLord
10-12-2005, 00:28
if i can get som female conversion i will even have some couples :p

I've seen nice work done with the Necromunda Escher (all female) gangers. Take a look at the juves if the full gang chics are over-the-top for your tastes.

So much for the tribal names. Your loss, I think I'll use it with my DE. They seem likely to use descriptors instead of wasting time learning each others' names.

starlight
10-12-2005, 00:43
I name far too many of my models.

For my big project, I'm creating a full Battalion (two full FOCs of Infantry) fully named using WWI and WWII members of my Regiment.

IncubiLord
10-12-2005, 00:51
I always accuse my opponent of having just killed Bob, Jeff, Al, or some other common name.
Even when they're shooting at gaunts. :evilgrin:

night2501
10-12-2005, 01:02
XD nice, I just name some models and something really remarkable must hapend for that, for example mi o sho van inmortal, inmortal is his name and really fits him, after 3 games in a row he never died, and not because nothing shoted at him...for god sake the last game was against IG and the oponent shot him with everithing they got (no kiding even a demolisher canon) but he never died everityme something that could kill him hited a one was rooled to wound...

IncubiLord
10-12-2005, 01:12
I've had this sort of thing happen, but I mass-build and mass-paint, so it's hard to tell if its the same model.
Was he named after those battles or before?

night2501
10-12-2005, 01:14
after, and is esay to recognize because I convert all mi crisis ^^ this one is converted to wield a huge honour blade ^^

IncubiLord
10-12-2005, 01:20
Ahhh. You play armies that have good weapons AND armor. I might do conversions if my minis weren't always under 15 points. That's a lot of guys on the board even when you throw in the odd hero, transport, and special weapon.

VanHel
11-12-2005, 05:59
Well, every tank in my armoured company is named, along with the commanders of said tanks. My preatorean army which I'm currently working on is going to at least have all the sgts, officers and advisors named. My purely codex guard army that is going to be from the same planet as my armoured company is going to get the same treatment as the preatoreans.

IncubiLord
11-12-2005, 06:05
Let us know how far you get.
I just can't see naming each model in a gaunt swarm, or an Ork mobs army.
Plus, if I do one I'll be expected to do the others.
I will never manage to name all of the hundreds of models I have.

Wiseman
11-12-2005, 08:59
baby name books are your best and easiest bet

Gavmo
11-12-2005, 10:56
Why not try train station names?
I work for the railways, so I have to remember these station names every day.

http://www.cityrail.com.au/networkmaps/mainmap.jsp

There's over 200 metro stations, with about 100 more outer metro stations. And if you get really desperate, you could always look up the country stations.

Plus you can give squads the same theme as you see at these stations, eg;
Western Line - Thugs,
Bankstown - Thugs,
East Hills - Rock throwing, spitting thugs,
Richmond Line - Redneck thugs,
Cumberland Line - Stupid Rioting Thugs,
Illawarra - Young Thugs,
Carlingford - City rednecks,
Bondi - Arrogant suits,
Main North - Pansys,
North Shore - Pansys,
Inner West - Kind of normal :wtf:

Hmm... This is a great ad for Sydney huh?

IncubiLord
11-12-2005, 16:52
Hmm... This is a great ad for Sydney huh?

Yep. Come to Sydney and see the Thugs! :evilgrin:

Bobby Digital
12-12-2005, 09:29
australia doesnt have thugs

IncubiLord
12-12-2005, 18:50
<points at post #30>
Tell that to Gavmo.

Bobby Digital
13-12-2005, 09:16
i dont need to its the truth, thugs is a word thats thrown around to much lately - ****in media - i live in australia was born in sydney and know there is nothing close to a thug here - altho we were founded on a prision to begin with

MacVurrich
13-12-2005, 15:17
know there is nothing close to a thug here....

A thug: an aggressive criminal.
A Thug: taken from the members of the Indian cult called thuggee

Thuggee, to conceal, mainly applied to fraudulent concealment an Indian cult, , worshipping Kali whose members were known as Thugs. A well-organized confederacy of professional assassins, who in gangs of 10 to 200 travelled in various guises through India, wormed themselves into the confidence of wayfarers of the wealthier class. When a favorable opportunity arose, the Thug strangled his victim by throwing a handkerchief or noose around the neck, and then plundered and buried him. All this was done according to certain ancient and rigidly prescribed forms and after the performance of special religious rites, in which the consecration of the pickaxe and the sacrifice of sugar formed a prominent part. From their using the noose as an instrument of murder they were also frequently called Phansigars, or "noose-operators."

Follow
13-12-2005, 18:54
I name my models. I use a site that has a multitude of old norse names which are broken down by prefix and suffix. Each of them have their definitions next to them so I can mix and match the names with the definitions I want. I'm probably no where near grammatically correct with the way I'm putting them together, but I don't care about that.

It takes a little while, but I also put together my great company (Space Wolves) with all of their names. It saves time in that it makes one huge job of putting all of it together, but I can simply draw from those names anytime I want to make an army and put my list together using the men in the company.

Also, I have a lot of time on the computer while at work. But it's really not as bad as it seems once you get rolling on it. ;)

Follow :)

Puffin Magician
13-12-2005, 20:14
Follow: Would you mind posting the link to that? I'm not sure what I could use it for at the moment, but I'm sure I'll have a moment in the future where I'd kick myself and say "I should've got Follow to post the link!".

Don't baby books only have first and middle names? I wouldn't think them to make very good-sounding surnames.

Eisenhorn
13-12-2005, 22:04
a link to this site would be great Follow.
since im from norway i might make some sense of the names to :rolleyes:

well i will soon post a name list for my to platoons and mayby a pic of named tropper hehe... as soon as they are painted up (next weekend mayby) that is.