PDA

View Full Version : Trenches Bridges and the Warfare of it all

thewizard99
03-03-2009, 23:18
so, the trenches from forgeworld have caught my eye, along with the death korps to go with them. so ive decided to create a board with trenches a no mans land and the enemy force trying to kickmy butt.

i will be utalising mines, tank traps etc. but the bridge has me worried a little.

i remember forgeworld doing a resin bridge a while back. and i think its stopped production so i can nolonger get it. is there any other type of bridge like that i can use. any links or pictures would be help full.

and also any idea for the board too : )

Solar_Eclipse
03-03-2009, 23:26
Do what i do, Have the bridge be destroyed and have a mound of Cadian half submerged corpses as the new bridge.

The last attack didnt go well it seems.

JCOLL
04-03-2009, 00:55
@Solar_Eclipse: Haha, that's a great idea! *yoink*

@thewizard99: Have a look in the terrain building log and you will find tons of inspiration. I can't think of any users who have crated a trench board off the top of my head, but I know I've seen some. Some using Forgeworlds stuff and others who have made their own. The Apocalypse books have some boards that have trench systems in them. In fact, many of the White Dwarf magazines from the last year have boards with trenches in them. Mainly the ones doing apocalypse reports - pretty much the same ones found in the Apocalypse books themselves.

The easiest way of going about building one yourself would be to visit your local hardware store and find some 'hard board' and some insulation foam. Here in the states it comes in pink and blue (the foam) and in different sizes. Get a sheet of foam (about 8feet by 4 feet) that is about 2 inches thick and map out a series of trenches with a black marker. Once you have it all figured out you can cut it out and glue it to the hard board or glue it and carve the trenches out. Oh, you will probably want to build a frame for the hardboard before you start working on it so that it's strong enough to withstand game play and storage. Anyway, once you have it glued down and carved just start adding bitz to the trenches and the 'no mans land'. There is so much I could say here on how to go about constructing it that could take all night. Again, the best advice is to roam the terrain logs and see how others have done theirs. Hope that helps!

jason_sation
04-03-2009, 04:17
My old roommate had a "destroyed" bridge that was for the bottom of an aquarium. I wanted to get it from him for terrain, but accidentally broke it as I was moving out. Drat!

NealSmith
04-03-2009, 05:25
Pegasus makes a decent plastic bridge. It's wide enough for vehicles, etc.

Lord Cook
04-03-2009, 07:00
Just look at model train sets, historical figurine sets, etc. With terrain, it doesn't need to be made by FW, and will certainly be cheaper if it isn't.

beerdrinker
04-03-2009, 07:29
As said above the pegasus bridge is awesome. Can fit a land raider easily.

Earthbeard
04-03-2009, 08:51

Second that, it's wide enough for a baneblade if memory serves me correct.

thewizard99
04-03-2009, 13:36
wow thanks for the help guys : D

any links for the pegasus bridge?

Korras
04-03-2009, 14:11
I have several modular gaming boards, some of which comprise trenches, and some a river. trenches are fun, but can be overpowering: a whole load of guardsmen manning 3 2' long tiles of trenches is a LOT of cover-saved flashlights (plus heavy weapon teams), and hull-down tanks.

as for rivers, I'm in need of some bridges too, so I'll keep watching this topic. :)

Valo
04-03-2009, 14:28
http://www.thewarstore.com/product7434.html

and what a bargain!!

lovely piece of work I must say.

EDIT:nice exampl eof one of their tables http://www.pegasushobbies.com/gm_table1pics.htm

slasher
04-03-2009, 15:22
Would the Forge world bridge be the woden or the stone one? As I cannt think of any other briges they've done. -but the're both in the WH terrain section.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_WARHAMMER_TERRAIN_8.html

thewizard99
04-03-2009, 16:20
They used to do a 40k style one which was big enough for a leman russ to cross, dont know about anything else, had the imperial eagle on the sides, with 2 little ramps for it as well. was a good hefty model, and was about 25 quid if i remember right.

jubilex
04-03-2009, 20:46
and also any idea for the board too : )
I think something you may want to bear in mind, is that a heavily themed board, like the one you suggest, would be great at first, but may lead to "samey" battles over time.

Modular terrain is the key, imo.

Say for eg, you have a 6x4 table, if you break that up into 2x2 squares, you can have as much trench/river/no-mans land as you wish.
But, if you also build "normal" terrain boards, you can swap and change as you wish.

The forge world trenches are very "maginot line" rather than "seigfried line", in that they are very well prepared defences.
If you wanted more hasty consructions, WW1 style, trenches are very easily sunk into 2" insulation poly (diy/builders merchants).
Duck boards and wall bracings made from lolly sticks (hobbycraft/model shop, approx 1p each).
Corrugated iron card.
Sand bags are dead easy, from kids air drying clay (early learning centre).

You'll save a fortune doing it like that. :)

This (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/toys/images/products/AFL3383.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/toys/3383-pontoon-bridge.asp&usg=__rP5dCggIWIZFdM72iy6nAWGvvo8=&h=251&w=400&sz=90&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=t_90io_5lnTb-M:&tbnh=78&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dairfix%2Bpontoon%2Bbridge%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GWYH_en-GBGB306GB306%26sa%3DN) is the old airfix pontoon bridge (much beloved of my youth!!!), which you can get for 7ish, for a more "engineered" type of crossing, it would look good near a destroyed bridge.

You could even make a bridge laying tank (research Hobart's "funnies") as part of a scenario.

Hope that's handy advice.

Col. Tartleton
04-03-2009, 21:23
Yeah I think you should go with a combination of ideas.

Make your river, then make a broken span across it with tons of dead bodies and debris in the water. Then put aforementioned pontoon bridge as a non permanently attached feature. That way you can play with it, without it, or with it as a feature of a scenario as mentioned.

Do similar things for other features like buildings. If you want buildings you can do a slab sort of foundation, then put either a mostly intact building or blasted ruin on it.

This will allow you to change up terrain features.

You can make a grove of blasted trees that can be removed which allows you to have open terrain, trees, or possibly a (apocalypse friendly) scenario where the trees get shelled into oblivion or hit with floracides.

Plan it out well so it can be variable and worth the investment of building.

Clang
05-03-2009, 05:05
A wrecked vehicle makes a great improvised bridge - in real life, vehicles do get trapped in ditches or are deliberately pushed into ditches. Engineers may then add walkways etc over the top to make walking easier.

But yes, the Pegasus bridge is great. Mmm, I'd love to see a bridge-laying vehicle conversion...

Grimbad
05-03-2009, 05:59
http://armorcast.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=121_40&products_id=155
This one's kind of orky looking, actually.

13th guest
05-03-2009, 06:45
Try this as well:
http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=z

I have bought a load of terrain from tehm and have been very happy (even with shipping to Taiwan). The tranches they have sit up on the board and don't need to be stuck down so you can vary the board. They also make very goob bunkers. Not as detailed as forgeworlds, but light and far more portable and much cheaper. They also have rivers and bridges in the fantasy section.

thewizard99
05-03-2009, 10:23
If i remember Correctly, someone did one for gamesday ages ago.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2008/06/road-to-hell.htm

there you go : P

just made me want to do one................crazy.

Korras
05-03-2009, 10:40
that IS crazy. but, it would make for an interesting model on the tabletop, heh.

thewizard99
05-03-2009, 16:48
so i came to my idea of what to do for my board.

I will be doing 2 4ft by 3 ft boards, making it 4 x 6ft, at one end have the trench works, with gun emplacments, tank traps, mines etc. at the middle of the trench board i would be having the bridge, going over the trenchs. have a good section of no mans land. then possible either woods or buildings or some sort for the attackers end.

one thing i wanted to ask was creating the base board. now i want this to be able to have it so i can move it about at ease, but having it so i wont knock anything off, and be able to move it from place to place in the car ( if it fits in a vaxhall corsa : P )

i thought about doing a box style container, having it so it slide in, or have the top section come off. im working on how i would do it so ill keep you all in formed.

onbiosuly this top section/lid will have to be hollow, and tall enough for the highest peice to fit in.

and just a side note for me, the bit where the board joins together has to be flush with the other end, so when creating this lid, have one section double the hight, so when it goes over it it can lock in place with the bottom bit and keeping the other part safe.

NealSmith
05-03-2009, 17:23
I thought about this long and hard too. :)

I have 2x2 boards, but the idea should work either way.

I needed something that was flexible so that I could store it one way in my house and be able to put it in different kinds of vehicles.

I decided to build an "open frame" for each board. These frames have "legs" on them that fit down into the frame of the one below it so they can be stacked in any height I need them to be. I use aluminum angle pieces as a platform to slide the boards in and out of the frames.

This is more work to build the frames, but it is more flexible. You may not need that flexibility.

Blinder
05-03-2009, 17:59
so i came to my idea of what to do for my board.

one thing i wanted to ask was creating the base board. now i want this to be able to have it so i can move it about at ease, but having it so i wont knock anything off, and be able to move it from place to place in the car ( if it fits in a vaxhall corsa : P )

Check out modular layouts for model railroads- one specification at least (NTRAK) has people toting 2'x4' sections all over the place, about the size you're planning (I would suggest considering 2' rather than 3' sections though, even with lightweight materials it's just a lot easier to move around). There's a "standards board" type webpage for it but you can probably get better results looking up modeling forums where a lot of the "transport and connection" stuff has been done up with pictures. There's a lot of stuff wargaming doesn't really need to worry about (like wiring and all) but you might find some good answers for your construction questions (since it's the same basic project- build a board with some terrain/scenery on it in such a fashion that you can haul it around and put several of them together reasonably quickly, easily, and safely).

Forlorn
05-03-2009, 20:25

2nd the Pegasus made futuristic bridge. Easy to assemble and you can add additional kits to make the bridge longer if you want. A+ kit IMO.

edit: And here's a link http://www.thewarstore.com/product7434.html

It's actually called a technobridge.

thewizard99
07-03-2009, 17:00
mmm, a few other things i came accross was scenery higher than the board edge, like for example, a pillbox or something which usually is at least 3 inches high, would have to compensate for that.

Currently in a technical drawing stage ( with paint lol ) on how im going to do this, dont know if it will work though.

Railgunner
07-03-2009, 17:08
Here is what i'm thinking of getting for my table;

http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/shopimages/products/extras/CB35012A.jpg

A 1:35 scale model of a Bailey Bridge made by a company called Bronco.

RG

Private Ginger
07-03-2009, 20:24
I'm hoping to do something like this except that both sides are trenches with artillery behind them.