PDA

View Full Version : Using Nurgle rules for Iron Hands army?

Acolyte
03-03-2009, 23:35
Now that the Chapter Traits are out of the Marine codex, there's really no way to represent an Iron Hands army well-they've always been, IMO, one of the coolest chapters out there.

However, after flipping through the Chaos codex, it looks like the Nurgle rules would be a pretty accurate representation of the Iron Hands-while the 'Bionics' upgrade would work for Marines with, say, a bionic arm or something, most Iron Hands Marines are largely bionic-some are basically just a suit of autonomous armour with a Marine brain in it. (Which would also lead for a semi-convincing argument to use Thousand Sons rules instead, except for the differences in standard weapon and the fact that they're not all brains-inna-can). Plus, the Iron Hands are immensely hardcore, so Fearless and Feel No Pain work pretty well here.

Yeah, it's going to be kind of hard to work their other staples, Techmarines and Dreadnoughts in, but still. A properly-outfitted Chaos Lord or Deamon Prince would work fairly well, and you can still take Dreadnoughts. It's just that the Chaos ones aren't as good.

Plus, Obliterators are about as Iron Hand-y as you can get. I could go on for days about potential Iron Hands-esque Obliterator conversions.

So, would you have any problems with using Nurgle rules to represent Iron Hands Space Marines? Obviously with a quick briefer before the game to point everything out so nobody's confused ('This Techmarine is actually a Daemon Prince, this gun represents this, the arm represents that, blah blah blah.') I think it'd be a really interesting army, definitely a change from the usual 'ho hum, more black Marines' thing.

Grimtuff
03-03-2009, 23:54
This seems actually like a bloody good idea! The only part i'm cocking my head about somewhat is the issue of Dreadnoughts and them being crazed in a CSM list.

I'm not entirely sure how this can be explained background or gameplay wise. But other than that it seems like a sound idea to me.

mallymoocow
03-03-2009, 23:55
was thinking the same thing mate lol

Acolyte
03-03-2009, 23:59
*Shrug* The Iron Hand Marine in there was an especially angry and blood-crazed one? I'm not even sure if I'm going to use a Dreadnought (Although it hardly seems like an IH army without one...), but with the multitude of Dreadnoughts that have existed over the millenia that 40K fluff spans, it's possible that, somewhere in there, the Iron Hands possessed a nucking futs Dreadnought.

Ravenheart
04-03-2009, 00:05
You could make a Inquisitor Kasmarov / Petient Engine like Dreadnought that counts as a Daemon Prince. Of course the shooting weapons would have to go; but that may be a solution.

Acolyte
04-03-2009, 00:07
Ooh, that's not a bad idea...

EDIT: I could also call the shooty psychic powers weapons...obviously with converted weapons, but still.

EDIT the Second: I am SO using an Inferno Cannon arm to represent Wind of Chaos. Giant flamethrower FTW!

Sanctjud
04-03-2009, 04:22
Just be crystal clear with your opponent and you are good to go.

Note: some gaming groups have 'issues' with the rampaging count as. Know your group, and treat with care.

My 7 Cents.

ctsteel
04-03-2009, 06:40
Crazed dreadnought = software glitch in the targeting/combat system. The Omnissiah must be displeased with that particular Iron Hands veteran.

Warforger
04-03-2009, 06:43
Maybe its because there's too much wires that it interferes with the human corpse giving it random seizures and hallucinations as a explanation?

Ganymene
04-03-2009, 06:51
I had this same idea, except for Iron Warriors.

As far as the Dreadnoughts go, the bionics in the crippled veteran could be disagreeing with the machine spirit in the Dreadnought itself (don't know if that could happen, but it sounded legit).

Lord Cook
04-03-2009, 06:58
Why not just convert a massive Iron Hands walker construction and use the defiler rules to represent it? Defilers can be pretty decent in combat, have plenty of firepower, and they aren't Crazed. The only issue is the model - you wouldn't be able to use a dreadnought model because it's too small.

Acolyte
04-03-2009, 13:34
I was planning on doing some giant Defilier-tank conversions as well. I also did plan on doing this army with Iron Warriors fluff as well earlier (Even started converting a few figures). I just like the Iron Hands fluff better.