PDA

View Full Version : Lesser 'Dedicated' Legions and Marks of Chaos?

mallymoocow
03-03-2009, 23:50
Whats your thought on the following...

We all know about the four main CSM legions dedicated to the main chaos powers but...

Would you consider the Alpha legion or Night Lords to be able to have marks of a particular god?

i know they mostly aren't as singular as others in their worship of chaos but
surely one Alpha marine might become fond of slannesh or tzeentch...
i see the Word Bearers as being able to use whatever mark or icon due to their background

but with other legions its so hard to figure out

give me a hand what your opinion
cheers:confused:

mallymoocow
03-03-2009, 23:53
i just thought of another one
iron warriors with mark of nurgle but modelled to have bionic limbs or whole swapped torsos etc, which could reasonable make up for the higher toughness

i know at first this shouts wrong but wouldn't it make sense when wanting to give a lesser dedicated legion a bit more flavour?

Serg. Lynchbox
04-03-2009, 02:34
I would say do it with the Iron Warriors and give them the nurgle mark... I play Word Bearers so it's more simple for me but I have a squad of Thousand Sons and to me it doesn't look right.... but oh well..

I believe that the other legions pray to all gods like it says in the old codex... whichever one that turns up and says " hey, wat you want?" is the one to their liking at the moment. lol

dugaal
04-03-2009, 02:38
Doesn't sound that bad. either as counts-as (like with bionics) or temporary affiliation, the desire for power must drive most legions to pacts of convenience on occasion. They probably see it as a tool to their own ends rather than true worship.

Just remember that rules wise someone must be holding that Icon, and with target selection rules they can get picked off.

Sanctjud
04-03-2009, 03:58
I think IoCG is a good all-purpose for all of them.

But GW's line is, make your own fluff and it's all good.

My 7 Cents

Ser_Spazz
04-03-2009, 04:49
Aye, make your own story to be honest to justify the affiliation to one god. I'm doing a "counts as" Thousand Suns Nightlords break off raiding army thats affiliated entirely with Tzeentch. I'm having a blast modifying my "counts as" Thousand Suns too.

If you enjoy the story, you'll enjoy your army that much more, esp with your own touches.

The Spaz

holmcross
04-03-2009, 04:55
My thoughts: leave the established legions as is, make your own if you want to screw around with background.

Additional thoughts: Do whats fun for you.

Based on what I've read regarding Night Lords, they would abhor dedicating themselves to a chaos god. I've always liked NL/IW/AL in that they don't really care about worshipping the force of chaos directly: worship tends to be incidential of the legions' actions.

Born Again
04-03-2009, 06:55
Yeah, Night Lords want nothing to do with the Chaos gods. They're not spiky because they worship chaos, they're just spiky because they're badass, so marks of any kind are right out.

Ser_Spazz
04-03-2009, 09:50
This is true, and that's why this is a work in progress, that Warseer can pick apart the fluff all they want, and just nicely give me more idea's to absorb and eventually come up with something that makes me happy and everyone else agreeable that it's the most amazing idea they ever did hear... (yeah, bloody right lol)

I'm still "new" to the Chaos Space Marine forces and doing my best to learn as much about it as I can, so that I can make an awesome Tzeentch based force that has good fluff, and still be playable on the board. Right now, I'm more enjoying the modifications and changes to the marines themselves to get as much into the fluff as I should be.

What WOULD be a good Chaos Legion to do a Tzeentch group breaking off ties with its former legion and starting up in the name of the Architect of Fate with a heavy Draconic affiliation? My ultimate goal is to make an army that get's a huge amount of votes for army appearance and playlist, since I don't want to play with the "Two DP with Lash, and nine Obliterator's" list that seems so common in my area. I'd rather play with a lord or sorceror that fit my style of play than a daemon prince, cool as they may be.

Legionary
04-03-2009, 10:06
Yeah, you'd be better off starting your own Chaos legion than fiddling with Night Lords, Iron Warriors etc. They've already got a backstory, and it precludes giving them marks. Nothing stopping you using the Night Lords models, going in the direction you want and saying they used to be Night Lords but have now split off.

Born Again
04-03-2009, 12:24
I'd say the best thing to do would be to create your own group of post-heresy renegade marines. The only ones from the Heresy particularly aligned to Tzeentch are 1k Sons. You might be able to get away with doing Word Bearers, as they worship all Chaos you could say they decided to "specialize" as such. But I think your own renegade warband would be a far better idea.

Lord Fatwa
04-03-2009, 12:33
Or it could be that a particular Chaos God has decided to show their affection to your warband. The God choosing them rather than them choosing the God, so to speak. IIRC, there was some older fluff regarding Typhus and the Death Guard at the time of the heresy getting stuck in the warp and becoming infected with Nurgle's Rot and all kinds of other wonderful plagues, not because they wanted to set themselves apart to him, but simply because Nurgle decided he wanted to play with them.

Also, there's a reasonably Khornate Iron Warrior in Storm of Iron, who starts off pretty bloodthirsty and then goes right over the edge into Berzerker-style Khorne worship, so it certainly wouldn't be without precedent for an Undivided marine to pick one of the Big Four.

Dr.Clock
04-03-2009, 17:24
There's no real reason why a warband wouldn't 'split' from its parent legion...

The real issue is that the warband would likely no longer call itself 'Night Lords' or keep the same paint job. Look at the Black Legion - they ALL split from being Sons of Horus and painted their armour black.

A friend of mine used to play Night Lords. Then he changed the paint-job... getting rid of the lightning bolts, dropping the blue to a glossy almost-black and giving everyone freakish, clown-like terror marking. He called the 'The Chorus'. It worked pretty well. He now uses them as CSMs with the occasional icon of Tzeentch.

The whole point of being a CSM is that you can pretty much do what you want as long as you are strong enough to kill anyone who tries to stop you. As long as your theme is coherent and well-executed, you should come out with a decent-looking force.

On a side note, I have always considered rubric marines to be effectively 'artifacts' that any ambitious sorceror can make use of. I think it would be awesome if a Night Lords sorceror and his warband, depleted by battle, came across a 'rubric' on some abandoned world and were able to revive them in return for their service to the Lord of Change. Having your CSM squads carry icons and taking one or two rubric squads would make a nice Tzeentch list. Taking things like raptors and chosen as well would cement the earlier ties to terror tactics...

As far as marking things in an ACTUAL Night Lords list, I think you could easily get away with icons of slaanesh. After all, these guys have been perfecting their craft for eons... they probably WOULD be faster than your average marine.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

mallymoocow
04-03-2009, 20:32
cheers guys all great insights

my queries on Night Lords was more out of interest, i've read is it the dark tower? which gives a very shrouded interesting look at their past and their seemingly unchaotic change in the primarch

Also, there's a reasonably Khornate Iron Warrior in Storm of Iron, who starts off pretty bloodthirsty and then goes right over the edge into Berzerker-style Khorne worship, so it certainly wouldn't be without precedent for an Undivided marine to pick one of the Big Four.

-A friend of mine is reading that might have to borrow it sounds like a cool character

can anyone else think of some other legion - chaos mark combinations?
cheers all

Col. Tartleton
04-03-2009, 21:58
There's no real reason why a warband wouldn't 'split' from its parent legion...

The real issue is that the warband would likely no longer call itself 'Night Lords' or keep the same paint job. Look at the Black Legion - they ALL split from being Sons of Horus and painted their armour black.

This reminds me of an important fact. There are still Son's of Horus that aren't Black Legion that have gotten 0% coverage.

So my advice is to use some of them as your fellows.

Apparently they would make pacts in rotation that ended up screwing them over repeatedly, so you can pick any Chaos God as a main. Just say your boys decided to stick with X (I would go with Malal for being different (as Khorne) as he seems the most Likely candidate of the legion.) So demonic aligned Son's of Horus in their grayish green plate with champions marked with the skull of Malal and beserker squads with their axes and swords in black and white trim (or do them all as such with the decision that they are Lunar Wolves still, but the black representing the taint of the legion). The Eye of Terror (Terra) Emblazoned Amber and Crimson on chest plates, roman inspired symbols mixed with chaos (lightning bolt arrows on their armor) and lunar cycles marking their unit (they are the Luna Wolves remember.) Give them no mutations and make them look ghostly pale with baleful eyes. Malal turns you into a wraith over time rather than a normally mutated being.

Hell, have them be led by a very, very pissed off Garviel Loken on a mission to kill Abaddon.

totgeboren
04-03-2009, 22:14
You are ofc free to do as you wish, but the only Legion that uses marks from different gods is the Black Legion.
Night Lords and Iron Warriors are not really all that religious, the Alpha Legions fluff is abit unclear at the moment, but they have never featured any marked troops in any current fluff, and the Word Bearers tend to kill anyone who does not embrace Chaos Undivided.

I myself have a Word Bearer warband, and I use both Icons of Khorne and Icons of Tzeench, but I have given the "icon" to my squad leaders, and the Khorne ones are modeled as Chaplains and my Tzeench one is a Chaos Sorcerer.

So fluff-wise they are undivided, but the Chaplains make the squad fight abit harder(+1 attack works well enough as a count-as Litanies of Hate), and the Sorc has the "force dome" power, protecting the men around him with his mad psyker-skillz.
My standard unit champions all have mark/icon of chaos undivided, to represent their combat tactics and leadership-abilities.

Or, if you want the different Cult troops, just make up your own warband. I myself can't stand warbands with cult-troops from different gods (unless they are used as count-as for some special type of chaos marine), but its legal, so you are free to do as you wish.