PDA

View Full Version : Nurgle Daemon based force, pro, cons etc.

Kronos
04-03-2009, 00:29
Hey I've decided to move my love of Nurgle daemons over to 40k (blame FW ;))

I haven't got the book yet so I'm just making a rough list on what i need to buy, make etc.

The prime thing that i definitly want to have in the list is:

1.Herald or 2 with mark of Nurgle

2.Daemon Prince with mark of Nurgle

3.Soul Grinder (can these have marks ?)

4.a unit or so of Plague bearers (want this to be maxed out and given all the trimmings)

5.A unit of Horrors (not nurgle but as they are pure chaos energy i think they should be in every daemon army no matter the god)

Things I'm thinking of adding

6.Perhaps a unit of flamers

7. Beasts of Nurgle, i don't know how many of these i can take per elite choice but i would like to have from about 2-3

I want the list to be 1500 pts so what do you recommend i should add or take away..Remember its just a rough list before i make ana ctual list.

also how well do Nurgle daemons play against otehr armies, i want it to be competitive but not overly so, just a nice balanced and themed force.

pomafefc
04-03-2009, 07:55
First off, yes or no to special characters?

If yes, then I would definitely recommend adding in Epidemius, although using him tends to work best with pure Nurgle forces; Beasts of Nurgle become so much better when you have the DP driving up kills early.

If no, then the list looks good in theory, send in the plaguebearers and either the DP or the Soulgrinder early on so as to make use of the plaguebearer's icon and start killing high priority targets with the big stuff, such as vehicles (transport or otherwise). Ideally your big stuff would have taken out all the armour and cracked open all the transports so that when your horrors and flamers come down with all their dakka the enemy infantry are caught in the open.

Also, it might be a good idea to get a swarm of Nurglings to tie up super-killy squads that would otherwise run right through your other daemons. Granted, your plaguebearers are tough, but their main objective should be objective-holding (in most games) and they can't do that very well when they get bogged down in combat with a CC-oriented unit.

Forlorn
04-03-2009, 18:54
Kronos: By maxing out a plaguebearer unit do you mean 20 man units? I ask because having played a Daemon army deepstriking will be really, really interesting for you trying to deep strike a 20 man unit onto the table.

Kronos
04-03-2009, 19:53
well when i said maxed out i mean't unit upgrades, like icons etc. Not so much on the unit size.

also what roll does the DP play, i know they are heavy support in daemon armies so are they more of a cc unit or ranged fire. It will have the mark of nurgle so how does this furtehr impove it's resiliance.

also I only really want one soul grinder but I've heard if i am going to take any it would be better to take two.

and lastly is it better to take two heralds of Nurgle or just take one GUO.

Ravenheart
04-03-2009, 20:19
also what roll does the DP play, i know they are heavy support in daemon armies so are they more of a cc unit or ranged fire.

A Nurgle DP has some nice configurations. Being T6 he is more resilent and with 'noxious touch' he has a poison attack, that wounds on 2+ (with the corresponding re-rolls).

Having no powerweapons in normal squads, mono-Nurgle deamons struggle with heavy armored opponents. The DP is a mean to deal with this problem.

You can also use 'breath of chaos' to thin out squads before assulting them.

also I only really want one soul grinder but I've heard if i am going to take any it would be better to take two.

and lastly is it better to take two heralds of Nurgle or just take one GUO.

One soul grinder draws a lot of enemy fire. That thing is big, so it might go down fast. In mono-nurgle deamons, the soul grinder is the only mean of long range fire you have, so it might be necessary to have 2.

I'd take a GUO over heralds. He has decent stats and is still the cheapest of the greater daemons. His role is simmilar to that of the deamon prince. Thining out squads with breath of chaos and killing the rest in CC.

And I also recommend epidemius. He is very well worth his points, especially in an all nurgle force. The DP, Soulgrinder and GUO will help him to rise the death toll, making your plaguebearers thougher in the process.

Kronos
04-03-2009, 20:44
Thanks raven heart that helps alot, I'll definitley take a guo and epidemius (though counted as my a fw herald as I'm not fond of the epidemius model itself)

I still only want one soulgrinder, perhaps this could drawfire away from my other troops and big nasties like the dp and guo.

what i wouldn't mind taking is two dp's or would this be a a big sink in points.

any other things you think i am missing.

Vedar
04-03-2009, 21:04
DP are good options but you need to keep them cheap. Wings are not worth the points most of the time as you Deep Strike. Expect the Nurgle DP to go down pretty quick when taking heavy weapon hits or power fist hits. I like Tzeetch DP better with a 4+ save though he can go down to massed bolter fire or zerg rushes. Iron hide is a good option for most DP. Most of the time with the DP Iron hide, mark and maybe one power is enough.

dal9ll
04-03-2009, 21:22
Epidemus is MANDATORY in mono-Nurgle. Period. He's too good not to use in mono-Nurgle.

Also, Heralds of Nurgle are absolute crap. Give the Beasts of Nurgle Noxious Touch wherever possible. A GUO is pretty much mandatory too.

And Nurglings. Lots and lots and lots of Nurglings.

PumaKiller
04-03-2009, 21:43
DP are good options but you need to keep them cheap. Wings are not worth the points most of the time as you Deep Strike.

I'd have to disagree with this. Wings for Daemon Princes in a Nurgle list are almost mandatory. Almost every Nurgle Daemon is slow and purposeful so they don't get around quickly. Daemon Princes with wings are your one and only hope of really catching fast enemy units.

I would probably avoid Heralds all together though, they don't really add anything at all to your lists and can get expensive quickly trying to. The Great Unclean One is an excellent choice especially if you just keep him cheap (I would only give him Cloud of Flies personally). I'm not a big fan of special characters myself but even I would find a way to fit Epidemius in, his bonuses are just to essential to a working pure Nurgle force. I would probably opt for Daemon Princes over Soul Grinders as well. Yes Soul Grinders are your only real shooting but they can't contribute to the tally and Princes are fast enough with wings to start racking up kills early anyways. Besides that Plague Bearers are great tarpit units. They're incredible resilient but slow, use them for Icon placement and objective holders. They'll be hard to get through quickly. Your real killers though are the GUO, the Daemon Princes and once the tally gets going the Beasts and Nurglings.

Norsehawk
04-03-2009, 22:26
Soul Grinders cannot have the Mark of Nurgle, but they do play the part pretty well in a Nurgle list, considering how they lick and cough phlegm on their opponents.

In your list you could have a Great Unclean One(or the special one), Epidimius, and a Herald of Nurgle for your hq choices without breaking any rules.

The beasts of Nurgle seemed a bit 'meh' in the rules as I remember them. With a fully charged up Epidimius however, Nurgling bases just get rude. That is something you might consider.

Kronos
04-03-2009, 23:16
Cheers for the replies guys, it's very helpful and i think i know have a rough idea toward sthe armmy composition.

I think I've had my arm twisted inot taking epidemius, he sounds great:)

I'll take a guo too though why would it be better to keep him cheap, would it not be better to give him quitea few gifts ? and if so which ones, i wnat him to have some kind of breathe weapon too. which i believe there is for greater daemons.