PDA

View Full Version : What licence would you like to see?

Jedi152
09-12-2005, 13:40
After a few of the comments in the "When GW does..." (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18507) thread about different licences, i was just wondering what other licences people would like to see GW pick up.

Lets not turn this into an anti-LOTR thread please, lets assume that GW has decided to splash out on another licence, what would you like to see?

I think that the 'Aliens' licence would be amazing. Imagine multi-part plastic Colonial Marines, or multi-part Alien Warriors. Not to mention picking up the Predator licence, and the expansion possibilities...

Footsteps
09-12-2005, 13:44
I think its more likely that someone else will pick up a GW licence.
LOTR was utterly unique in that respect,GW hasn't spent the last twenty years developing its own imagery just to pay someone else to borrow theirs.

Crube
09-12-2005, 14:11
I agree with Footsteps here, but IF it were to happen, then something like Halo / Half-life a la Space hulk could be pretty cool...

Morph
09-12-2005, 14:30
Well I've thought that Inquisitor, with a few rules improvements, could make a good game for some setting which involves small fighting gangs. Off the top of my head.... Sin City maybe. Having Marv running around, beating up some mooks. Sounds fun to me.

Rykion
09-12-2005, 14:39
I would like to see them do a game around Doctor Who. It is a license they had in the past. A simple squad sized game would be easy to do, and they could market it to kids as an intro to wargaming.

Some guy (UK)
09-12-2005, 16:26
I would like to see them do a game around Doctor Who. It is a license they had in the past. A simple squad sized game would be easy to do, and they could market it to kids as an intro to wargaming.

I think there are enough children in this hobby as it is;) :D . So if GW released a licensed game it would be aliens. It could be set out a little like Space Hulk, with a few squads of colonial marines vs. douzens of aliens. Also there are many possibities for expansion as jedi152 said.

Later, Some Guy (UK)

EVIL INC
09-12-2005, 16:27
I remember when they had Docter who and some of the stuff (daleks in particuler) were good for conversions. I also remember thier Judge Dredd stuff. It was nice. Then again, I remember when they did Eternal Champion stuff eary on before they just stole the stuff outright and renamed the models high elves and so forth. Would be good to see them make a game based on Eternal Champion miniature based. I remember Dark Future and would like to see them redo it again as well, particulerly the novels and books (Still mad they never finished out the series that they started:mad: )
Anyone remember The Dia San books written by Eric Van Lustbader? THAT would make a GREAT mini game methinks. I know it was good to convert into D&D.

General Samuel of the 101
09-12-2005, 16:38
make Star Wars,
multi plastic Stormtroopers and Clone troopers
Jedi
see the old grenadier SW minis, they were cool even counting his age
not like that crappy ones Wizards of the Coast sells

erion
09-12-2005, 18:29
Sadly, barring some sort of GW/Hasbro Company deal, GW will not be making any star wars miniature games.
I don't think it would be bad. Using the LOTR core system to fuel the smaller, cinematic combats would be the way to go, and multipart plastics of Star Wars would be very sweet.

However, as I've said before, Hasbro and Lucasfilm have been bedfellows for nigh on 30 years. The chance of the license for SW minis changing hands is slim at best.

marv335
09-12-2005, 18:30
aliens??
why not just play kill team with kasarkin and 'nids.

Baggers
09-12-2005, 18:33
Wheel of time would be intresting though would end up long winded

Lockjaw
09-12-2005, 19:35
transformers, autobots and decepticons fighting each other, with small scale humans as kind of a 3rd faction, or allies

Rykion
09-12-2005, 19:37
Wheel of time would be intresting though would end up long winded

To be true to the books each game played would be basically the same. It would go on and on with no real conclusion. ;) :p

Cypher
09-12-2005, 19:44
Star Wars would be the ultimate for me: the thought of getting GW-quality Star Wars models is very appealing.

Transformers would also be cool, but I dont know how practical it would be (although a customisable transformer set would be neat: each vehicle having different ways it can be transformed, a converters dream).

And finally Serenity, just cos Id like a 28mm Firefly model.

Brimstone
09-12-2005, 19:50
Why Dune of course, the various noble houses battling it out for supremacy.

Then of course you have the Fremen & Sardukar.

Jo Bennett
09-12-2005, 19:58
Song of Ice and Fire. Armies of unsullied pitched against hordes of dothraki, wildlings with mammoths and giants pitched against Stannis, and/or the Night's Watch. Plus you get to fight with lots of different army combos as alliances shift, and eventually you get to bring dragons to battle.

Eduard
09-12-2005, 20:47
Aliens,Halo, farscape (peace keeper armies, yay!) a ww2 game.

Grimtuff
09-12-2005, 20:52

Why did no-one say this before? Herbet did for sci-fi what Tolkien did for Fantasy IMO

Plus, they can the prequels as well, armies of Neo Cymeks? Yes please GW!

Also I wouldn't mind seeing one of the (smaller) worms done by FW in 28mm scale

starlight
09-12-2005, 21:14
Actually, I'd rather see GW spending the time and money getting what they *have* nailed down before they head off on another tangent.:( Let's see the SGs getting some support, let's see Orks before 2007:wtf:.

However once (if) they get their own ship in order, my vote goes for Dune.:evilgrin:

Ohman
09-12-2005, 21:34
Star Wars would get my vote. The WEG miniatures are probably the best Star Wars minis made, and they are not that great and also quite old. GW with their excellent multipart plastics could do wonders with the Star Wars licence.

To bad it will never happen :(

GlynG
09-12-2005, 21:50
I remember Dark Future and would like to see them redo it again as well, particulerly the novels and books (Still mad they never finished out the series that they started:mad: )Your wish has been granted my friend - Games Workshop's publishing arm, Black Flame, are reprinting all the old novels and releasing new ones (see: http://www.blackflame.com/blackflame.html) :)

So far there have been a couple of new ones out - Golgotha Run (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1844162370/qid=1134164802/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_8_5/202-8831504-6966200) which I'd heartedly recommend! And American Meat (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1844162990/qid=1134164802/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_8_3/202-8831504-6966200) which was very poor and I'd suggest avoiding. More on the way too next year with one called ‘Jade Dragon’ (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1844163784/qid=1134164802/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/202-8831504-6966200).

Any of you lot out there not tried these then I’d really urge you to give them a try – they’re a lot better written than the Warhammer/W40K novels! (Dan Abnetts stuff gives them a run for their money but I still prefer the Dark Future books).

Just really hoping that if the series proves popular enough we might get Jack Yeovil/Kim Newman back in to write the finale to his fascinating sequence :)

Glyn

marv335
09-12-2005, 22:06
i'm with brimmy on this one, i'm off to work on codex: feydakeen
books, not film btw
now, should the crysknife count as a power weapon...........

starlight
09-12-2005, 22:08
The books with some imagery (but not all) from the SciFi Channel's versions.:D

Crysknife = PW? Only when wielded by someone with the *appropriate* training.:evilgrin:

Brimstone
09-12-2005, 22:12
The Sardukar concepts in both film and TV series sucked IMO so a more book based version would be good.

We would have to have House Ordo as well.

The Dune universe is so ripe for development as a tabletop wargame I'm suprised it hasn't already been done.

Wouldn't imagine the licence would cost that much either.

Edit - although it would show up where a few of 40K concepts came from.

marv335
09-12-2005, 22:16
we already have models for the fremen, classic van saar from necromunda

Shadowheart
09-12-2005, 22:26
LOTR was utterly unique in that respect,GW hasn't spent the last twenty years developing its own imagery just to pay someone else to borrow theirs.

Indeed, they haven't. They've spent the last twenty years borrowing people's ideas without paying them, so why should they change?

Though I'm glad for the quality and availability the LotR range has thanks to GW, it doesn't seem right that a company who has been ripping off Tolkien's works for decades gets a profitable license for the very same material.

I'd prefer it if any other licenses went to other miniature manufacturers. I would like to see a (new) Eternal Champion range for example, but it would just be wrong if GW did it.

Grimtuff
09-12-2005, 23:19
Grimtuff: Ah! Dune prequels are anathema!

Dont ask me why I enjoyed reading them, I just did ;)

Easy E
10-12-2005, 01:00
Actually, I'd rather see GW spending the time and money getting what they *have* nailed down before they head off on another tangent.:( Let's see the SGs getting some support, let's see Orks before 2007:wtf:.

However once (if) they get their own ship in order, my vote goes for Dune.:evilgrin:

This man is my hero. If I see him on the street, I will ask for his autograph. Then I will tell everyone I know about my brush with fame.

Spot and On, Starlight

Grimtuff
10-12-2005, 01:17
What Starlight said went without saying in a way, as I personally would like to see more work done on 40k, but lets rephrase it a bit then: "Once GW has everything vital for the existing games systems out of the way...what licences would you like them to get?"

Obviously GW should get their priorities straight with their existing systems, then they can play around a bit

Lockjaw
10-12-2005, 01:29
discworld, kind of like a mordheim style rules

Mikhaila
10-12-2005, 04:29
it doesn't seem right that a company who has been ripping off Tolkien's works for decades gets a profitable license for the very same material.

Well, 90 to 95% of all fantasy anything is ripping off Tolkien in one way or another. You can trace back most fantasy themes and influences back to LOTR, and certainly D&D relies heavily on it. For years, roleplaying was very D&D derivitive. I've seen a few books out of the hundreds that I've read over the years that didn't borrow a ton from Tolkien: Some of Charles De Lint's works, and others that borrow out of Celtic legend instead of LOTR, and the Narnia books of course. But with so many people writing fantasy today having grown up with LOTR, it forms the basis of what people think of as fantasy. I wouldn't bash GW to much for borrowing from it, or if you still do, bash everyone else equally.

EVIL INC
10-12-2005, 05:31
LOL, 90 to 95% (especially GW) is ripped from mythology and Michael Moorecock. Tolkien just takes the credit because he got more press.

Shadowheart
10-12-2005, 08:42
Well, 90 to 95% of all fantasy anything is ripping off Tolkien in one way or another.

That's not true by a long stretch. Maybe it's true for the parts of the genre you've been exposed to, but in that case I'd suggest you stop reading derivative crap. Tolkien wasn't nearly as influential as people give him credit for, the main thing he is is popular.

GW can't be excused for 'borrowing' other people's works just because that alledgedly is what everyone else does. Especially since in GW's case it goes well beyond mere inspiration and into direct, blatant rip-offs. Moorcock's star of Chaos, Tolkien's word Eldar and so on. And this is a company known for fiercely defending 'their' intellectual property.

I'm not saying GW ought to make 100% original material. I'm just saying it'd be a travesty if they got licenses for stuff they've been plundering anyway. Which would be the case for just about every popular license I can think of.

Brimstone
10-12-2005, 08:48
Lets not turn this into an anti-LOTR thread please, lets assume that GW has decided to splash out on another licence, what would you like to see?

That was the thread starters request so lets see this stay on topic please.

Beyond Dune which is still my primary choice X-com might make a good small scale skirmish game.

Baggers
10-12-2005, 09:11
I have been thinking about all the choices we givem and except from Dune, Wheel of time and Star Wars, most of the suggestions ultimatly probably would not make a good wargaming setting between massed focrces which is bad.

Though they do make great skirmishs games. Now I wonder ig GW chose to pick up the Alien rights would they go for the skirmish game or the full blown battle top army.

Chuffy
10-12-2005, 09:49
Though I'm glad for the quality and availability the LotR range has thanks to GW, it doesn't seem right that a company who has been ripping off Tolkien's works for decades gets a profitable license for the very same material

Hey have you ever actually sat down and looked at Warhammer? Because you'd see how untolkein it is.

Okay sure, they have Orcs and Goblins, Dwarfs and Elves. But thats what nearly every fantasy background has. Besides, even the Greenskins and Dwarfs of the Warhammer World are far far different from Tolkiens. Unless I missed the part in Moria where the Gyrocopters come whirling in to gun down the Balrog....I mean I can't remember that part from the book, but since WH is such a blatant rip off it probably is in there.

No Shadowheart, sorry to say but WH is clever like that, it is Real world history, then fantasy is thrown into the mix and it works. Too many other fantasy backgrounds like to create high fantasy fairies and dragons and the end of the world with crystals and hell I don't know what else. Then they try and add in a human, or real world, element and it fails. WH and indeed LOTR take the different approach and are both excellent and interesting worlds.

Oops sorry, you're right, I just read the passage about Khomrhi in LOTR and the skeleton armies of Satra.

Shadowheart
10-12-2005, 11:02
The Warhammer world as a whole doesn't resemble Middle-Earth, that's true. The Warhammer world as a whole doesn't resemble anything. It's a mish-mash of concepts with little overarching vision. It's not so much a setting as it is a frame to stuff ideas into, no matter how much they clash with the other elements. Arthurian knights fighting side by side with landsknechts against dinosaurs? Melnibonéans joining forces with count Dracula to battle Dwarves?

This includes a portion that is a pretty direct transfer from Tolkien's books. That they also copied a load of stuff from other sources doesn't mean they didn't rip Tolkien off, it just means he wasn't the only one, just as I was saying.

And again, that Fantasy is just made up of copies of LotR is not true. Stereotypical Fantasy does of course exist, but as with most stereotypes it's not an accurate representation of the genre.

Imus
10-12-2005, 11:36
It may be a rip off in one form or the other, but i have enjoyed their games for years on end and really don't have a problem. I can acknoledge that they may have. The problem i have if you start going into who ripped off who you end up never enjoyign it. I had this problem with music because most modern music in some form has ripped off someone else somewere down the line but that s off the subject.

I would like to see GW redo Space Hulk or maybe re release of the old one. That or Aliens prehaps!

Cpt. Drill
10-12-2005, 12:04
Unless I missed the part in Moria where the Gyrocopters come whirling in to gun down the Balrog....I mean I can't remember that part from the book, but since WH is such a blatant rip off it probably is in there.

That sounds awesome! Man I need to re-read the book I forgot the bit about GYROCOPTERS..... mmmm were there many skaven in Lord of the Rings..?

Although there are a few rip offs.. like when the Halfling army was published in the warhammer journal there were special characters such as....

Gimmie - the greedy dwarf
Lag-Las - the drunken elf
some spin off of aragorn... cant remeber what he did...

But the warhammer world is a warped version of our own history and Tolkiens work!

Brimstone
10-12-2005, 13:16
Brimstone: As I heard it, W40k's predecessor Laserburn was developed into X-com. So it's already been done...

Not really, yes there is a connection between them all but the setting & background is very different. In addition a combination of both skirmish & strategic would work very well, played together for a narrative campaign or separately for one-off gaming.

Bruen
10-12-2005, 13:35
Thinking outside the box I think that you could do a very interesting Thief computer game-based miniature game based on kill team and mordhiem or some sort of modern spy/crime game based on kill team and necromunda/inquisitor.

M0thra
10-12-2005, 15:51

The Dune licence has been taken by Mongoose, along with the rights to produce a Halo based miniature game.

Hopefully they'll play a little better then Starship Troopers....

Note - this is purely based on information given to me by a friend who works for them at their Swindon base. He may have been winding me up based on my love of Dune.... I hope not though.

Cheitan Shadowless
10-12-2005, 16:47
Metroid! Wheeee! Play as the Galactic Federation with access to Samus Aran as a special character, or commandeer the cruel Space Pirates, tail-whipped forward by monstrous Ridley! :eek:

Not to mention the Metroid army, with all it's jellyfish appeal! :D

I actually made an armylist of Metroids using the creature feature rules, but don't tell anyone

big squig
10-12-2005, 20:09
The Matrix. They can do three box sets and they can get worse and worse each year!

General Samuel of the 101
10-12-2005, 20:12
and what about a Legend of Zelda Miniatures game?
could be cool!

therotter
11-12-2005, 11:15
how about some of thier own ip. warlords of ancient terra. fight with different factions over the limited resources trapped on a nightmare earth. we all know the ending though, some stranger turns up and units them all. the necromunda rules would work for this.