PDA

View Full Version : Strong Skink Chief?

slingersam
04-03-2009, 04:11
Skink Chief 144pts - Terradon, staff of the lost sun, bane head,light armor,shield
This guy will be amazing at killing war machines, mages, he can take on some of the weaker heros, and just be a pain in the ass. Also can take venom of the firefly frog instead of bane head, but make sure you give bane head to some other hero, so that you can double any unsaved wounds.

Not sure if anyone has posted this combo already but I thought its a really good one.

What do you think?

I forgot to add a spear.

dsw1
04-03-2009, 10:18
You could get him... or get 4 terradons for cheaper points ;)

I have to say I like the combo, but I'd rather have more rocks to drop :p

Shamfrit
04-03-2009, 10:30
It's a perfectly fine combination but I always feel the Bane Head is much better off in the hands of a Slann, simply because of Lore of Metal and killing BSB's (except High Elves obviously...stupid Dragon Armour.)

You could run this but as DSW said, more Terradons would work much better. A Skink Chief is really good on a Stegadon or as a cheap scouting harasser, I wouldn't invest in him on a Birdy though. Try him out, see how it goes?

Conotor
04-03-2009, 11:37
Why no spear?

Spirit
04-03-2009, 12:01
I think lizardmen have enough units that can do his job. Terradons, chameleons (had 7 of them kill 2 high elf bolt throwers in 2 turns yestterday!) and regular bog standard skinks. Terradons especiall are great at killing mages, but can also crossfire units, drop more rocks, and still have shooting to boot, and you get 8 woulds for the same price.

If i was to use a skink chief, i would give him an enchanted shield and the pirana blade. This gives him a 3+ standard save, 3 S4 attacks at Ws4 and he only need to cause one wound on ANY 2w hero (any being the key) to kill them.

He will still kill warmahcines, but better than that, he might not kill the warmachine on the charge, meaning he will be immune to all shooting against him next turn and will not run off the board edge, allowing you to charge at will again next round.

blackjack
04-03-2009, 14:46
Also in this catagory is the Saurus warrior with Jag Charm.

Great weapon, Light armor, Jag Charm, Shield is 124pts.

Hits harder than the Skink Chief, Can have either a 2+AS with str5 or a 4+AS with str 7 in Close combat, is tougher, higher ws, more attacks and cheaper.

His charm can be dispelled but this works very well in conjuntion with a slann led army as drawing off 2 enemy dispel dice allows other spells to get off.

Str 7 is so rare in the new Lizard man army now that krox all got wimped that I think he is a very valuable and cheap hero and would take him over the Skink Chief just described.

Spirit
04-03-2009, 14:59
I dunno, i tried that very combination in my last 2 games and all he managesd to do was use up some dispell dice and kill 4 skaven jezzails. I was very unimpressed. And once he has flown the enemy can keep him there if they want to, because they know what your up to, so his M4 gets him killed pretty sharpish.

Im moving onto some skinks in my next game, see how they fare.

Vsurma
04-03-2009, 15:02
I agree however you can only take 1 jag charm scar vet, if you want more fast attackers then you might want to go with both!

not sure of the points costs, don't suppose you can fit the extra attack sword on the saurus with the jag charm for 6 S5 attacks... prob not, dont have the dex on me.

Kerill
04-03-2009, 15:36
Skink chief, cloak of feathers, add weapon, venom of the firefly frog- gains the ability to hide in units, cheap, can use a/hw, viable for several US1 spells, more surprise value and quite cheap.

Spirit
04-03-2009, 17:21
I agree however you can only take 1 jag charm scar vet, if you want more fast attackers then you might want to go with both!

not sure of the points costs, don't suppose you can fit the extra attack sword on the saurus with the jag charm for 6 S5 attacks... prob not, dont have the dex on me.

No that sword is 50 points.

Your choice is killing blow, ASF, -2 armour save or any of the common swords.

soultaker87
04-03-2009, 17:28

you could just give him an extra hand weapon instead, it be cheaper and you could use those magic item points for something else.

blackjack
04-03-2009, 18:18

The +1 extra attack sword (the basic one not the sun sword) fits within a Jag Charm Saurus's magic allowance, You get 5 Str 5 attacks with it and AS 2 in CC. total cost = 138pts. Personally I would go with a sword of might for the same cost.

Soultaker, if you go with 2 hand weapons the AS goes down to 4+ which is pretty harsh. However if you can use an extra hand weapon with a magic weapon then you could get to 6 str 5 attacks or 5 str 6 attacks for 142 or so. Will have to look up the rules on that...

Vsurma
04-03-2009, 18:21
What an awsome idea! never thought about it for some reason.

5 S5 attacks... nice!

Though then he doesn't get to use a shield right? that is not soo nice considering he is the place I would put enchanted shield for +2 armour save.

-1 to hit might not be bad consider what he is going after most of the time, war machines, mages and the like. 4 S5 attacks at -1 to hit and I can still have enchanted shield.

Though now I am not sure if I can the shield and the jag charm, its late...

blackjack
04-03-2009, 18:36
On a Jag Saurus with the regular +1 attack sword you get 5 str 5 attacks and the non magic shield for AS 2+ in CC. but you will not have the magic allowance for an enchanted shield.

If you use an extra hand weapon and the +1 attack sword (I think) you can get up to 6 str 5 attacks with no shield for AS 4+.

You can save a bunch of points by droping the +1 attack sword going with 2 hand weapons and getting 5 str 5 attacks with no shield. Personally I think 4 str 7 attacks for nearly the same cost (great weapon) is a better deal if your going with non magic weapons.

It is a real shame you can't have both firefly poison and the jag charm on the same character.

slingersam
04-03-2009, 19:47
Im going to try this combo on Friday, just wanted to see
the feedback, on this combo, I was hoping to get both
the cloak of feathers, and the staff, but I didn't have
enough points for both, so I thought taking a teradon
can give me the diversity to do both shooting,
and maneuvering then he doesn't have to rely on
the enemy not have enough dispel dice, like the
scar vet + jag charm <--- This can be a hit or
miss, I think the teradon takes out that randomness
Anyway thats just my 2 cents

Staurikosaurus
04-03-2009, 19:58
If you use a magical weapon, you don't get the hand weapon/shield bonus. You only get it with hand weapon/normal shield & hand weapon/magic shield.

Jericho
04-03-2009, 20:07
You could get him... or get 4 terradons for cheaper points ;)

I have to say I like the combo, but I'd rather have more rocks to drop :p
After years of experience with disruption/assassination tactics, I wholeheartedly agree. Another regiment of Terradons would lose a tiny bit of combat punch perhaps but gain durability, US6 (flying cav), and many more rocks to drop on people's heads. Fantastic.

ewar
04-03-2009, 23:29
Skink chief, cloak of feathers, add weapon, venom of the firefly frog- gains the ability to hide in units, cheap, can use a/hw, viable for several US1 spells, more surprise value and quite cheap.

I like this one, much sneakier than the others and he can jump between skink units for cover. Plus, his move can't be dispelled, which will hopefully mean he gets to perform his job.

slingersam
04-03-2009, 23:43

I forgot how some spells only effect US1 spells, this does seam more viable
Also give him the bear anger spell and he can do some tanking, and you don't
have to worry about the sauras not getting his jag spell dispelled