PDA

View Full Version : Corsairs of Umbar

Railgunner
04-03-2009, 06:57
Are they a feasable army to play? I was just wondering as i need to find an evil army but want something that not many people at my club play...so it's really them or a Khand army. But i'd just like to know what sort of things they can do etc before i go out and buy the sourcebook for them.

RG

msoong
04-03-2009, 07:39
Corsair, Khand, and other Umbar troops are all in the same army list of Fallen Kingdoms, so they can intermingle with other Southron units...

jaws900
04-03-2009, 07:43
The bosums are cheapish heros that count as banners and i have to say i love the Arberlesters.

lorelorn
04-03-2009, 07:46
[LotR] Umbar Corsairs are a partifuclalry powerful army. They are all Fight 4, they mostly have throwing daggers, and their Raiders and Arbalesters provide powerful elite options. Their weakness is low defence and a lack of cavalry. I find the second is made up for by taking spears and having Fight 4.

[WotR] Umbar are part of the 'evil men' list. I've never played that game so I'll reserve further comment.

Railgunner
04-03-2009, 11:25
What exactly do the arbalesters do? And i presume throwing daggers are just like a normal thrown weapon?

So does anyone have a suggestion for a 500pt list with 50 model limit?

RG

Joewrightgm
04-03-2009, 12:37
Arbalesters have cross bow and a Pavise; the pavise increases their defense by +3, almost making them immune to common bow-fire. Also, the S 4 crossbow is no joke either.

Railgunner
04-03-2009, 17:58
Whats Dalamyr like?

RG

jaws900
04-03-2009, 18:49
Whats Dalamyr like?

RG

Awsume. He's just a Harasti assasin but he has smoke bombs which ar thoughting weapons that force the traget to be affected by Immoblise or spend a point of will. and it also is a str 1 throwing weapon. Although if he ever rolls a 1 to hit he runs out of bombs and can't use them any more. He also only costs an extra 10 points.

Oh and a note. the Pavise is very good giving them a +3 def but it doesn't work in combat as it's to big can cumbersome. Meanin they only have a def of 3 when in combat.

Railgunner
04-03-2009, 19:33
But are the smoke bombs really that good with only str 1? Also whats better, Bosun or Captain?

RG

VeriNasti
04-03-2009, 23:00
Bosun are the banner bearering heroes I think, but the captains are stronger in combat,etc
It really depends what you want for your army - Support for troops(baner) or a minor hero to back up the troops - anyway, you can't take the Bosun without another hero

Railgunner
04-03-2009, 23:45
Ok, how does this look for a list?

Dalamyr
Captain
Bosun
12 Corsairs w/Shields
12 Corsairs w/Spears
11 Corsair Arbalesters

RG

VeriNasti
05-03-2009, 02:31
Is this for SBG or WOTR?

Joewrightgm
05-03-2009, 03:09
Dalamyr's smoke bombs main advantage comes not through killing people, but because of the fact that they transfix and enemy they hit. But he can use them as many times as he wants as long as he doesn't roll a one after.

The list seems a little small; the Arbalesters are probably to blame, but my God; you'll at the very least be able to break most cavalry charges before they even begin. Even if you don't kill the riders, taking out the mounts takes away alot of advantages cavalry gives.

The Bo'sun's advantage is that he's not only a decent fighter, but he counts as a banner.

Tactics I'd suggest is to shelter behind the hail of arrows the arbalesters produce, and when the enemy gets close, start to shoot at characters and send Dalamyr hunting heroes and banners.

Also, what equipment did you give the Captain and Bo'sun? I'd say Crossbow for the Bo'sun and have him sit in with the arbalesters.

lorelorn
05-03-2009, 08:03
Ok, how does this look for a list?

Dalamyr
Captain
Bosun
12 Corsairs w/Shields
12 Corsairs w/Spears
11 Corsair Arbalesters

RG

Awesome. Honestly my Rohan just go down to this like a bunch of schoolgirls. You could probably swap Dalamyr out for a sceond Bo'sun and a few more men if you wanted.

Railgunner
05-03-2009, 11:48
Is this for SBG or WOTR?

It's for SBG.

RG

liamrob
05-03-2009, 11:58
Can't comment about the list personally because i haven't had much experience with corsairs but i've got a mate that played a corsair/uruk hai list in a 1000 point tournament back in early January.

Depends on how big the game is but having reavers in the front rank, supported by another form of spear support then the uruk pikes can be nasty. 4 attacks at fight 5 str 3anyone??

Once you get to larger games you will want to keep the reavers behind the line until the last moment otherwise you'll lose many points worth of models ;)

Arbalesters are awesome :D Remember though the DEF 6 shield only works against range attacks for the arbalesters. So if you ally with Uruks i would highly recommend using the uruk crossbows over the arbalesters as they have higher str, same fight value and have DEF 5 in combat and shooting. Chuck them behind some cover and a group of them can be hard to move ;)

Good luck!

jaws900
05-03-2009, 18:33
Or dobble them up. place the arbalester in fround with ruk's behind. when the enemy get lose the uruk's can brake formation and attack still leavin the arbester to bolt them with bolts (Tho you may lose 1 turns worth of shooting with this when the uruk's break rank)

Railgunner
05-03-2009, 18:57
I'm wanting to keep the army pure corsairs. What are the advantages of reavers?

Hopefully i'm going to try the list tonight and see how it goes.

RG

Joewrightgm
05-03-2009, 19:17
Reavers have 2 A at Fight 5; short of fighting elves, you can win most fights you find yourself in.

Basically, throw them at a place in the enemy line and support with spears; you'll have 3 F 5 attacks.

P.S. the reavers are corsairs; in fact the model they show in Far Harad is a converted plastic corsair.

lorelorn
06-03-2009, 03:23
Friend of mine used the torsos from the Warlord Games celtic warriors box on the plastic umbar corsair to make his reavers; they look great.

Joewrightgm
06-03-2009, 03:24
you might want to check out Dax's project log; he did (i think) heads and arms from the corsairs and used the bare torsos of I want to say Zulu warriors, and they looked amazing.

VeriNasti
06-03-2009, 03:43
For SBG the list is terrifying, be hard to defeat with any army

Railgunner
11-03-2009, 23:33
Well ive now tried out the list twice now, and it didnt work too badly.

Dalamyr managed to run out of smoke bombs the first time he tried to use them and then in the second game he killed an elf with the first throw and then ran out in the turn after. The bosun worked well when in the middle of the battle line, the captain was pretty pants because i have no points to give him any other equipment than what he comes with.

I think i just need to spend more time to get a feel for the army and then hopefully things will turn out good :)

RG

Joewrightgm
11-03-2009, 23:58
Highly recommend dropping someone so you can get your captain at minimum a great weapon.