PDA

View Full Version : How viable is a fully mounted WoC-army?

lasergreger
04-03-2009, 06:32
Hi all

I'm (like always it seems) drifting back an forth when it comes to deciding my next army in fantasy. Lately i'v been thinking of WoC. The reasons mainly beeing that I like agile armies and I really like the models for the new Knights and Horsemen, aswell as the Dogs.

So a questions to you that has some clues, is it viable to play a fully "mounted" (the dogs don't ride...er.. but you get the gist :P ) WoC army?

Also if someone would post example lists, that would be even better help.

Isabel
04-03-2009, 07:21
I just recently bought a 2000 point, all cavalry, WoC army and I love it! Though I dont have very much experience with it. 1 game played so far, a mega battle, 2000 points per person, per side for a total of a 16,000 point game. My all cavalry WoC was set up on the left end of the table facing off against an all cavalry brettonian army and an empire gun line, about 3,000 points worth. By turn 3, they were all dead or fleeing =)

My army was:
Khorne Lord on Jugg
Exalted on Demonic
Lvl 2 on Disk
5 Marauder Horsemen
5 Marauder Horsemen
5 Marauder Horsemen
5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds
5 Chaos Knights - Khorne
5 Chaos Knights - Khorne
5 Chaos Knights - Khorne

I just finished my warshrine conversion so I'll be fitting that in soon.

Having an all cavalry force helped me get everything into combat very quickly and avoid casualties from ranged attacks. Marauders and dogs did a fantastic job of screening, then baiting the brettonians. When my knights got into the thick of it by turn 2, they crushed every unit they went up against then over ran into the next. It was like knocking over dominoes. Very fun army in my opinion.

lasergreger
04-03-2009, 07:34
Thanks for your opinions Isabel!

Reading your last paragraph about how it was played it much like how I imagined it in my mind. About your knights, is the mark of khorne an essential in your opinion?

Lord Khabal
04-03-2009, 07:40
I actually think that the all mounted version is the best possible army for WOC. I just dont like khorne knights. They are great VS dwarfs, daemons and undead and very bad against (almost) everything else

Isabel
04-03-2009, 12:14
My pleasure.
I would agree with Lord Khabal, I guess it would really depend on what your up against. I could see khorne knights getting baited and lead off on a wild chase easy enough, and they are too damn expensive for all that haha.

Though if you know this wont be the case, khorne is great. 3 strength 5 attacks was devastating againts the brett cavalry, and I never got any charges off! I always survived thier initial hit and delt back the pain mercilessly. And with a champion dealing 4 str 5 hits, he even did away with a paladin in a challenge. Shame I didnt have a warshrine at the time.

Good luck.

sroblin
04-03-2009, 12:47
The all-cavalry chaos army is generally considered the most powerful setup for the new Warriors of Chaos book. Many would say it is the most viable way of playing WoC.

Khorne Knights are ridiculously deadly, but they are of course vulnerable to being lead astray. Mark of Slaanesh is a good 'default' mark, Nurgle Knights are extra hard to shoot; even Tzeentch knights can be made useful by combining them with the ward save banner. You can stick with the upgrade you prefer, or mix em up for diversity. You might even throw in a unit equipped with lances as a 'heavy hitter'; usually hte upgrade isn't worth it, but when you have this many units why not specialize one for use against the toughest units? Or instead of lance knights, you could get a unit of Dragon Ogres with great weapons to smash chariots and large monsters.

Also to be noted, Khorne marauder horsemen hit almost as hard as an unmarked Knight on the charge when equipped with flails. Of course you're limiting their role to frontal assault if they're frenzied, but you can always take other units with Mark of Slaanesh to fulfill traditional fast cavalry duties. Of course warhound screens are good all around.

Lord Khabal
04-03-2009, 13:04
Usually I take 1 unit of undivided with banner of Rage - better than MOK!, 1 unit with MOT and blasted standart and 2 more with MOS (1 usually with general + War banner). so there you go, all kinds of marks!! The banner of rage is cool because even though your knights have frenzy your opponent doesnt knows that, since they are undivided!!! so they wont be "baited". charge or be charged, and then "ho, these guys have 5 attacks each!". Thats sure to trash your opponents math...

snottlebocket
04-03-2009, 15:25
Usually I take 1 unit of undivided with banner of Rage - better than MOK!, 1 unit with MOT and blasted standart and 2 more with MOS (1 usually with general + War banner). so there you go, all kinds of marks!! The banner of rage is cool because even though your knights have frenzy your opponent doesnt knows that, since they are undivided!!! so they wont be "baited". charge or be charged, and then "ho, these guys have 5 attacks each!". Thats sure to trash your opponents math...

He should realize pretty quickly though when you start checking charge ranges for your mandatory charges. Nobody leaves knights screened for long.

Havock
04-03-2009, 15:30
He should realize pretty quickly though when you start checking charge ranges for your mandatory charges. Nobody leaves knights screened for long.

You don't need to check if nothing is in range; say, on the first turn without the opponent charging forward.

Edit
04-03-2009, 15:53
I still like nurgle marks on my knights, means they will hit on 3s vs most troops and specials, also means ws3 stuff needs 5s to hit them in CC, just a huge defensive boon, and the -1 bs helps them get there. It is expensive, but justifiably so.

Masteraries
04-03-2009, 18:13
I still like nurgle marks on my knights, means they will hit on 3s vs most troops and specials, also means ws3 stuff needs 5s to hit them in CC, just a huge defensive boon, and the -1 bs helps them get there. It is expensive, but justifiably so.

They changed the MoN in the FAQ. The penaty is only when they roll to hit now.

Jericho
04-03-2009, 20:20
The list Isabel mentions is a pretty boring but effective way to play Chaos. Definitely very effective against almost every opponent. You can't bait an entire army without getting caught eventually :p And when something finally does it, it hits hard.

Taking a mostly cav army from any of the other gods is more challenging, and possibly more rewarding as well. With the other gods, you can still have a magic phase if you want it, and indeed it can be very effective to shield your knights with Fleshy Abundance or whatever (Celestial Shield from a L4 with Heavens is an option, and heck re-rolling 1's with Chaos Knights due to Portent of Far is also amazing!).

lasergreger
05-03-2009, 08:24
Thanks for all the input and answers, they are helping alot.

Now, I'm composing my army from the local restrictions for the tournies we have here. And this means I can't have more then two of the same special choice. Thesame goes for three of the same core. So that leaves me with "only" 2 units of knights and 3 units of horsemen and dogs.

Im thinking of making one of the knight units MoK, just to get the Lord on Juggie-model, which is outstanding. And give the other another mark, or even none at all. How does that sound? Is it too risky to have only one MoK-knight-unit?

Also, i'd love som tips on character setup. I was thinking 1 Lord, 1 Exalted and 1 scroll caddie. But then I got thinking, it would be alot more fun to actually use some magic aswell. So in this cav army, how should I work in sorcerers?

Isabel
05-03-2009, 11:40
Keep in mind, when I say this, it isnt from experience but from what I've read here on the forums so dont look at me if it doesnt work out! haha. But here's a few things I've noticed from more experienced WoC players that might relate to an all cavalry army.

1) People tend not to like Lords. I'm rewritting my army list on armybuilder as we speak to replace my Khorne Lord with a Sorcerer Lord lvl 4. The differance in stats between an Exalted and a lord doesnt seem to be consistent with the points increase.

2) Exalted Hero on a disk appears to be a fantastic warmachine hunter, opportunistic flanker. Mark of Tzeentch, Enchanted shield and Golden Eye of Tzeentch and he'll have a 1+ armor, 3+ ward vs missles save while he's out there floating around all by himself.

3) Exalted on a Juggernaut along with a unit of khorne knights seems to be plenty in the khorne killy department for an army. Mark of nurgle seems like a good choice after that for survivability. But I'm of the frame of mind that if you kill them first, they cant kill you!

4) Marauder Horsmen, flails and mark of khorne can hit just as hard in the first turn of combat as a unit of knights for much less points, but you lose thier ability to bait.

5) Duck does not taste like chicken, I dont care what anyone saies.

6) There is a thread for WoC tactics floating around here somewhere. If you can stand to read through all the useless posts, there are some really nasty tips for gearing out your characters.

Personally, I'm changing my list to include 1 sorcerer lord, 1 exalted on jugg, 1 exalted on daemonic untill I get another disk for him to float around on.

Good luck!

Lord Khabal
05-03-2009, 13:20
good mage/war machine hunter: exalted on disc / MOT / GEye tz / Ench Sh / Flail / Roar. Kills knights and chariots too. 1+AS / 3+WSv vs shooting / magic. pretty sweet. A friend of mine played a dwarf gunline and this guy was the star!!! (got lucky rolls on the ward saves though). Got away with a massacre!!!

W0lf
05-03-2009, 14:00
Cant use the flail with enchanted shield.

Give him golden eye and a flail or halberd with shield.

I also like giving him the book or deaths head+roar to allow him to ether cast (with+1) or harras knights.

Shamfrit
05-03-2009, 14:03
Chaos Lord is worth the base points cost, by far, it's only when you plough him into Toys R Us that he becomes expensive.

He was higher WS, hitting most things on 3's, except two Greater Daemons...he has higher initiative, an extra point of toughness, an extra base attack, a point of leadership more (LD9 with re-rolls to panic makes you resilient to the shooting damage you'll likely take) and the extra wound make him worth it. A Chaos Lord with 50 points of items or less will be twice as effective as a fully tooled up Exalted ever will be.

Moni-cavalry has two massive, glaring, readily available weaknesses.

Firstly. The Lore of Beasts, Beast Cowers, Hunter's Spear, multiple low strength hits - bane.

Secondly. Lore of Metal.

I need say no more.

W0lf
05-03-2009, 14:11
scroll caddy.

I need say no more.

Edit
05-03-2009, 14:43
They changed the MoN in the FAQ. The penaty is only when they roll to hit now.

ack, I'll have to search for the FAQ, that makes mark of Nurgle not worth it on alot of stuff, as the defensive boon was why it was good (and 30 points a unit)

Cartoon
06-03-2009, 02:06
How big a problem are large CR armies against an all cav force? I know knights can bring the pain and if you add in a war banner it helps, but I have yet to face a three hundred model army so I'm unsure as to how well they fair against large blocks of infantry.

I generally send mine against enemy elite troops and leave the large combat blocks to marauders, warriors, or magic.

snottlebocket
06-03-2009, 06:04
Well you can always expand the theme from 'mounted' to 'fast'. Dragon ogres, trolls, ogres, giants and shaggoth's can all keep up with a mounted army and all hit like a ton of bricks just like knights.

Spreading your hardhitting hammer units around between chaos knights and multi wound creature units also means that no-armoursave sollutions are less of a no brainer against them.

ChaosVC
06-03-2009, 06:13
For such armies, once u fluff your dice roll, you will really have to suck on it.
Its like an unstable plasma gun compared to a heavy bolter.

Darth ryanus
06-03-2009, 09:33
ack, I'll have to search for the FAQ, that makes mark of Nurgle not worth it on alot of stuff, as the defensive boon was why it was good (and 30 points a unit)

Mark of Nurgle is still awesome -1 against shooting and incoming HTH that makes them a lot harder to hit. Dont forget shooting is our biggest weakness so anything that makes you harder to shoot makes you harder to kill.

Witchblade
06-03-2009, 20:50
Fast WoC armies are awesome.

Try to hit a unit with knights and horsemen at the same time. You're pretty much guaranteed to win CR and then the horsemen will be very likely to run the enemy down.

A fully tooled up lord or L4 sorcerer on disc is great. The mobility you have is really a game winner. You should be able to equip him so that he won't be bothered by archers and most other shooting.
Lords are expensive, point-wise, but they are also likely to be one of the strongest units on the table. Unlike exalteds, they are easily capable of taking down bone giants and the like single handedly without suffering a wound.

Khorne knights are just absolutely brutal. I don't find them easy to bait at all, if you guard them well. Warhounds are key. In fact, I've never used a unit of khorne knights without them yet against non-undead armies.

MoN + banner of rage = slaughter.

pointyteeth
06-03-2009, 20:59
For such armies, once u fluff your dice roll, you will really have to suck on it.
Its like an unstable plasma gun compared to a heavy bolter.

I totally agree with that. Anything goes wrong dicewise with an all cav army your in for some pain. example: last battle with all cav army, my wizard miscast, allowing my opponent to cast a spell free. He casts drain life and both units of knights lost 1/3 of their strength. Bearing in mind thats a pretty random event, but poo happens

Angelust
07-03-2009, 00:28
So what's a common mounted force these days?

Sorc Lord - Disc
x3 sorcerors - Nurgle

3x5 knights - MoK/N
3x5 Marauder Horsemen - MoK/undiv -- Flails, LA, muso?
x Hounds...

Then add in another goodie or two, like chariots or something?

Cobrak
07-03-2009, 04:56
How big a problem are large CR armies against an all cav force? I know knights can bring the pain and if you add in a war banner it helps, but I have yet to face a three hundred model army so I'm unsure as to how well they fair against large blocks of infantry.

Having faced a few units with 7 to 8 SCR I can honestly say IT BLOWS BALLS. even when i roll well i only kill about 5 sometimes 6 guys and even though i didn't lose any guys i couldn't break them and so the combats would last 3 turns or more and by then more have joined the fight they tend to just suck up turns in combat is all and if there are alot of them it really tends to be like bashing your head into a brick.

I generally send mine against enemy elite troops and leave the large combat blocks to marauders, warriors, or magic.

Ahh magic yes the tool of evil. i have found this to do usually nothing against big blocks but that is because they tend to be bastard death stars and have MR 2 or better

yes warriors they like to kill units of anything fast and quick
i had a unit of 12 with a total of 24Atks each cause 19 wounds to a block of 30 zombies it was nice 1 combat and BLINK they were gone

snottlebocket
07-03-2009, 14:30
So what's a common mounted force these days?

Sorc Lord - Disc
x3 sorcerors - Nurgle

3x5 knights - MoK/N
3x5 Marauder Horsemen - MoK/undiv -- Flails, LA, muso?
x Hounds...

Then add in another goodie or two, like chariots or something?

I'd shove some dragon ogres in there somewhere. The highest strength you have in that army is 5. You're relying entirely on magic to take care of monsters, chariots, highly armoured elites etc. that your enemy brings.

Also making your army that small means he can focus all his resources on destroying your tiny army. Chaos knights are horrifically strong, but there's several low casting value spells that'll mangle a unit in one go.

Spreading your units between highly armoured (knights) and multi wound (ogres, trolls, dragon ogres, chariots, monsters) means that whatever works on one half of the army is less effective against the other half. Spells that destroy a unit of knights will leave a unit of (dragon) ogres wounded but at full combat strength.