PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points of gobblins, wanting to make a compeditive list, need help

kormas
04-03-2009, 08:17
LORDS
Goblin Warboss=175
Martogs best basha
Amulet of protectyness
Kikken boots
Gigantic spider

HEROES
Goblin big boss=105
BSB-rowdy grots big red banner

Night gobbo shaman=100
Staff of sneaky stealing

Night gobbo shaman=80
Staff of sorcery

CORE
40 night gobos=250
hand weapon+shield
3 fanatics
full command
nets

40 night gobos=225
hand weapon+shield
2 fanatics
full command
nets

30 nigh gobos=195
hand weapon+shield
2 fanatics
full command
nets

20 night gobos=64
bows
musician

20 night gobos=64
bows
musician

20 night gobos=64
bows
musician
5 spider riders=76
bows
musician

5 spider riders=76
bows
musician

10 spider riders=170
full command
bows

SPECIAL
X2 spear chukkas=70

6 squig hoppers=90

7 squig hoppers=105

RARE
Doom diver=80

X2 trolls=80

the basic idea is to move ford slowly and hit the opponent in one large wave, the gobblins with bows will act as flanking units for the larger units. the squig hoppers will hopefully hit the harder enemy units ond do some serious damage, the trolls will act as a monster deterent. the doom diver is there caus i love the model, not to sure of its effecivness.
the 10 man unit of spider riders is there so as to be able to take out my opponents fast cavelry.

that is my very basic idea on tactics for these guys, help would be greatly appreciated not only in helping with the list but also the tactics that you can use for gobbos.
thanks in advance

koningswulf
04-03-2009, 12:06
Hi
I dont play goblin myself but I have played them some times.
They are very hard to make competive.
Here are some suggestions tho.

Put some mundane armor on your BsB goblin big boss might save him from a premature death.
Light armour +shield + handweapon gives a 4+ Ac in melee for just 4pts

Take two goblin wolf chariot
you need some hard hitting unit and this does str5 impact and can also to good effect be used in flanks due to its mobility.
I would take away 1 unit of squig hoppers to get room for them and make the remaining squig hopper slightly bigger

I would also skip the trolls their stupidity makes the next to useless in a gobby army and also they are not gobbos lets face it :-)
instead bring another doomdiver, there d6 str5 no armour makes them extremy valuable against enemy cavalry or dense heavy armoured infantry units. Its d3 inch towards targets is also handy and having 2 doom divers greatly increase the chance on hitting a target and this for a meager 80pts.
A must in a gobbo army I think since they need all the hard hitting punch they can get.

Good luck

Cortomaltese
04-03-2009, 16:02
well, i play goblin horde as third army, and it's not so bad, even if in a tournament or in a very competitive match it's really hard to be effective..
here's my 2 cents:

- i personally use (4-5) units of 35 models: they've still number to the +1 cr, and are a bit less hard to move and manuvrate, usually i configure them 5x7 (so extra ranks are almost assured), and with just musician, and 2 fanatics (not 3 cause it risks to become a big mess)..
hw and shield is the right choice, and netters can be useful too (expecially against St3 units, like empire, elvish spears and so on..)
the fact is that u have to think at your units like a movable +4 cr item, at least some sort of wound here and there from fanatics, but nothing more..

- archers: 20 strong, musician a must, i usually put 1 fanatic in each unit too (i field 2 units..), they can manage to kill something with a really thiny armour, and maybe get some flankin.. nothing else again :)

-i field fast cavalry (2xwolves + 1xspiders) only 5-strong.. they usually inibite march, or are used to kill fleeing units, or at least take care of small skirmish units.. so i don't need them 10 strong.. but maybe u've a role for them.. let discuss ;)

- doom diver is really good in my opinion: i often field it.. it's more accurate then a stonetrower (having a dot as marker is really usefull), and can really hit hard any cavalry unit.. with bolt trowers (i field 4 of them usually) can make important wounds in enemy ranks, end even take care of some big monster

- a little trick: goblin big boss with a chariot (saves u a special slot), wollopa, and trisky trinkets.. it's amazing: no Ws for enemies + St5 impact hits can be the fate for daemons, forest spirits, or things like that.. moreover u have some s10 hits for getting enemy mages or whatsoever..

-hoppers are the real "hard hittin' unit".. the one that can make the difference.. so protect them well, maybe using them between your units.. and u can get some good deal.

-magic.. i usually don't mind it.. with big units i don't care about magic missiles, or things like that.. with this in mind, u can take only a single shaman, with 1-2 scrolls for worst things.. beware fear, morale-based enchantments (we hate slaneesh), terror, and such things..
personally don't think magic heavy is still a good shot for gobbos..

-at least (in every sense..) Snots! they're really cool for a cheap price.. i saw ppl fieldin' 6 units of 2 bases sometimes.. u can use them as fanatic boosters (makin' them hit enemy easily, with 1-2'' less of distance), maybe as charge diverters, and as screen from shootin..
even if in a gobbo horde, about the 70% of your army is expendable ;)

any question!? :P

samick
05-03-2009, 01:16
When you say magic heavy isn't good for goblins, do you mean a pure gobbo horde or even in a mixed army, because I field a orc shaman lord, an orc shaman, and a goblin shaman and I love it. fighty charatcers in the O+G army just don't seem to compare to most.

Cortomaltese
05-03-2009, 11:26
i meant pure goblin list:that's what we're talkin' about :)

it leaves you with only 7 max leadership, then no footpath, no waagh, a crappy n1 magic missile, and really tons of points on 4 butterlike chars :)
when playing gobbos u have always to think: is it better a single model of 240pts, or, well.. about 80 more gobbos?! :D

definitely different the o&g mixed army.. i field often 3 mages too

kormas
06-03-2009, 21:18
LORD
Goblin Warboss=181
Martogs best basha
Amulet of protectyness
Kikken boots
Gigantic spider
Light armour
shield

HEROES
Night goblin big boss=105
BSB-rowdy grots big red banner

Night goblin shaman=100
Staff of sneaky stealing

Goblin big boss=135
Wollopa’s one hit wunda
Brimstone bauble
Goblin chariot

CORE
35 night goblins=205
hand weapon+shield
2 fanatics
full command
nets

35 night goblins=205
hand weapon+shield
2 fanatics
full command
nets

35 night goblins=205
hand weapon+shield
2 fanatics
full command
nets

20 night gobos=89
bows
1 fanatic
musician

20 night gobos=89
bows
1 fanatic
musician

5 spider riders=76
bows
musician

5 spider riders=76
bows
musician

10 spider riders=170
full command
bows

SPECIAL
10 squig hoppers=150

1 wolf chariot=60

2 spear chukkas=70

RARE
Doom diver=80

well, this is the revised list. i have made some changes, namely spredding out the fanatics, and i am going to give chariots a go. are there any good golin tactias in warseer that i can visit, if there is please send me a like:D
as before C&C are welcome
thanks in advance

Sidorio
06-03-2009, 23:55
Not bad kormas, not bad. Lets hope you can try it at some point in time and hopefully it won't be dead by the time it reaches my lines. The list looks sound as goblin lists go, my concern for you is what about magic heavy armies or things that cause terror and fear, both of us know your legendary skill with leadrership tests.

koningswulf
07-03-2009, 05:13
I would stil use 2 Doom diver they are very good and gobbos need the punch

Also I would fill out the 4th special
either by another wolf chariot or a spear chukka.

Good luck with it and let us know how you are with it.

RossS
07-03-2009, 07:38
Why the 10 spider riders with bows? That seems like an excessively large unit (they are not that cheap). And why the bows at all? I'm not convinced that they would be even remotely dangerous.

I think you need a second Wolf Chariot. They are a bit fragile.

Nice work overall.

kormas
07-03-2009, 23:41
just before i write up another list, i have the 10 man spider rider unit to act as a sort of heavy fast cavelry, the bows are there to inflick a little pain before the charge, i will hopefully start a battle report thred on the army and it's exploits after school calms down a bit

Cortomaltese
11-03-2009, 00:05
i like your list... it has almost the best u can get from what u decidet to field..
if u're planning wolves to be a "heavy" cavalry, then drop bows, 10 points are always 3 more gobbos :)
u can also consider the unit as something to put on the back of opponent units, just to make them flee into you..
with fast cavalry rule u can reform in a long line, so that everything that flee will do it on your wolves, and be suddenly destroyed..
hope to see soon some report! :)