PDA

View Full Version : Starting VC - Help Please !

Muntz78
04-03-2009, 21:31
Sorry, another one of those threads again !

I am getting back into WHFB after a lengthy lay off from wargaming, and I need a bit of advice on which army to start.

I am looking for an army that is tactically interesting, with a few different styles of play...and also a couple of dirty tricks up their sleeve !

One of the armies I am considering is VC. I know VC are one of the more competitive armies out there at the moment, but I am looking for army that is fun to play rather than WAAC.
Is their current popularity solely down to them being uber powerful ? Is there more to their game beyond lurch forward, roll a shed load of dice to raise zombies, and repeat over six turns ?

By the way, my main opponents will be Dwarves and Skaven if that makes a difference. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks !!

Sifal
04-03-2009, 21:43
well don't feel too bad as i reckon dwarves and skaven can both be pretty good against VC.

VC can be fielded in a perfectly 'competifriendly' way. Go with balance, pick a unit which you like then another etc. don't take 10 bloodknights with regen etc just come up with a decent core and some hitty units. I reckon 10 PD is friendly enough give or take a couple depending on how competetive your regualr opponents are. Something very important to note is that VC are only a top tier army if someone is trying to write a winning army list. Daemons are always a top tier army.
You could play a VC like a you might play any other, forget about just raising and take the fight to the enemy with cavalry etc in a good old fashioned brawl.

Toomanymind
04-03-2009, 22:49
Blood Dragon undead Brettonian themed armies are always fun. :eek:

MalusCalibur
04-03-2009, 23:40
If you want to play VC, and avoid the WAAC nature that seems to surround them, then simply take the units and characters you want and like.
The biggest complaint, as I understand it, is the mass magic approach: there are enough available wizards (all 4 character slots, in fact) and bloodline powers to make a fearsome magic phase that can easily raise far more troops than you began with. Try to avoid mass magic, though, and you should be fine.

MalusCalibur

ChaosVC
05-03-2009, 01:35
Just start whatever army that you really like, take daemon for example, it is now the most broken army in the game, but if you really like them, who is stopping you to collect them? Ask yourself what to you want to see everytime you display that army? If you really like VC that much, don't let others comment bother you, just get it. I am sure you can find a middle ground between fun and competitive for your VC list.

Muntz78
05-03-2009, 11:57
Cheers for the advice guys.

In that case - do you think VC ticks the boxes I am after ?
Like I said, I am looking for someone with interesting tactics and a few different styles of play... is that VC ?

Sifal
05-03-2009, 13:42
I'd say that VC do have different styles of play but each one creates a different level of competitiveness.

i.e - cav death star with four characters - high level of power (generally speaking)
invocation spam - high level
ghould horde with ghoul kin - solid army
balanced little bit of everything - fairly solid
as much ethereal as possible - sometimes fantastic sometimes rubbish

etc etc, there are lots of examples and i'm only creating a vague logic here. However, VC are also by default quite restricted in the way they can play. If you always take te same army list it will always play in a very similar manner to the time before. this is a resut of not being able to march outwith vampire proximity, only being able to hold as a charge reaction, never breaking from combat and rallying at full str but rather always battkes of attrition. Each individual unit has a pretty clear role and it can be difficult to change tactics so much as to change the way the unit performs. By buying a variety of models you iwll be able often field armies which a different from each other and a different experince for the opponent. If you want something to really get your tactical teeth into then maybe something incredibly versatile like wod elves would be good as they can field anything from all forest spritis that hit like a ton of nails to pansy ranged armies that don't like combat and dance around the opponent with every combo you can think of in between.

Muntz78
05-03-2009, 21:37
Thats cool. I was slightly concerned that inovaction spam was the only viable way of playing them, which sounds rather dull to me.... and there is no way I could ever be arsed to paint that many zombies.

I do quite like the sound of a ghoul horde..... and I have a crafty plan to build / convert my miniatures so that they could double as a Nurgle WOC army if I fancy the occasional change.

Regarding Woodies, I am have absolutely loved them since seeing a wood elf army years and years ago in WD - I think it was Mike McVeys and it was painted to perfection. It was one of the things that got me interested in all things GW. Oddly I picked up a battalion box of them last year and started to put an army together, but I just couldn't get into it and quickly lost interest. I still have a soft spot for them, but they just weren't for me.

siphon101
05-03-2009, 21:39
Cheers for the advice guys.

In that case - do you think VC ticks the boxes I am after ?
Like I said, I am looking for someone with interesting tactics and a few different styles of play... is that VC ?

VC is veeeeery different than most armies. An entire army that's unbreakable and causes fear, different march rules, different magic rules, different break test rules, different magic "item" allocations (IE bloodlines), the ability to create new units, and create more troops than you started, the ability to move in the magic phase, wizards who buy spells rather than roll for them (necromancers)...all of it makes VC a very, VERY different army than most.

Ixquic
05-03-2009, 22:01
First thing is to avoid the regen banner helm of command combo if you don't want to be WAAC. It's really broken and not fun to play against. If you want to use the banner stick it on a Vampire instead of a Wight King and then there's a much better chance of killing it.

Invocation spam is one way of playing but it is boring and people hate playing against it unless they have a trillion dispel dice.

If you want to play a ghoul horde, theme it Strigoi. Use flying vampires or vampires with hatred but don't kit them out for magic. You can do first turn charges with the ghoulkin + flight combo which is always funny (be careful what you charge). Vargulfs are good and fit into that theme really well.