PDA

View Full Version : Picking a first army..

Seandy
05-03-2009, 00:36
Hey guys i'm Sean a new warhammer player I've just have battle for skull reach and painted up my dwarves to get into the sprite of the game and so far been very much enjoying it.

I've been having some issues in descions making between three armies
High Elves
Lizard-men
Vampire Counts

Kronos
05-03-2009, 00:43
why not collect dwarves, you already have some of the minis, now all you need is some more minis..and the army book.

if not buy the other army books, or borrow them if a friend has them, have a look through the rules and maybe play a proxy game. The three you've mentioned are supposedley very good ones, especially vc if played well, and all three are very charcterful.

Aurellis
05-03-2009, 00:48
Hi Seandy, welcome to Fantasy!

Vampire Counts are a magic oriented undead army, relying on their Heroes to provide the main thrust to their army, summoning weak units such as Zombies and Ghouls to bog the enemy down. The army is fairly new and quite fun to play with so many options at customising your Vampires

Lizardman have just been re-released so now would be the perfect time to start an army. The army consists of defensive rank and file troops, extremely powerful magic from the Slann and lots of shooting from blowpipes.

High Elves are dirty, Dark Elves are the way forward :p

It all depends on your playstyle :)

There is a tactica thread for each of the armies above, that would be a good place to look. Also, try see if you can borrow an army from someone at your store and see what theyre like for yourself

zan77
05-03-2009, 00:58
if your looking for an army with good CC troops and Dinos and of course good magic then go for lizardmen. they arnt so much a shooting army.

Seandy
05-03-2009, 01:10
Me i like a cool looking army

I want a magic Oriented or can be magic focused army if i choose.

Vampires of the three look the most amazing as basic troops Lizard man are a different army but i heard elves are more well rounded and very powerful magic. also elves have first strike.

Godfiend
05-03-2009, 01:17
The best way to pick is to go for the army that you like the look and feel of the most. Take a look at the model range, check out the tactica and battle reports to see how they play, and go with whatever you think is the coolest.

Seandy
05-03-2009, 01:21
that's the problem 90% of the people i know play goblins and i don't know any vampire count players in my areas.

ChaosVC
05-03-2009, 01:26
A Slan with the right discipline can dominate the magic phase against any wizard of similar level. The elves on the other hand can create a list with good magic and fighty balance army. VC magic is strong only because they can cast necromantic spells, raising troops more than once, which is very powerful and broken if you maxed out your magic characters.

Abhorash
05-03-2009, 01:27
Seriously, just choose what you love the most. Dont care what other people play, you will always have good matches what ever army you use.

From Shadows
05-03-2009, 01:30
why not take a look at tomb kings, not very common, look stunning ( a fully painted army on the table ). Interesting to play.

Seandy
05-03-2009, 01:34
that why narrowed it down to High Elves, Lizardman or vampires it the three armies i like the most but here's my break down

Painting

Lizards-Lizards seem to have quite silly looking basic small units but as it gets bigger it gets much more intresting models

Vampire counts-Looks complexe to paint....the unlike tomb kings it has an intresting look to them since the last editions.

High Elves- They are very tall bright colors and seems quite silmilar they are a generic humaniod and reminds me of classic fantasy when i'm painting

Play Style

Vampire Raise undead charge forward fear and cast magic to bring there basic forces back to life.

Lizardmen- Lizardmen can go any direction they want, wheather they go as hoard as goblin or even go with only eliete troops, they have cold blooded and quite intresting then the generic human look.

High Elves- Magic of all ways nice bows acccuie firing and first strike. we may not be a big strong army but were hard to hit and can do some damage.

Seandy
05-03-2009, 01:38
The other armies why i didn't choose them

Empire (Seems dull)
Dwarves (No Magic but look nice)
Goblins and Shak (To many models and to basic no creatvity painting)
Choas (A one trick pony)
Tomb kings (Hate the look)
Dark elves (I dunno really high elves seem to look better besides there beasts)
Knights (They look nice but again a one trick pony)
Wood elves (I want magic)
Orges (Bah ugly and silly)

ChaosVC
05-03-2009, 01:40
I assure you that of the three, VC is the less complex to paint. For elves you may need a lot of care and effort for it to look right, and lizards is mostly dry brushing and high lighting.

Seandy
05-03-2009, 01:46
painting is part of it playing is another.

studderigdave
05-03-2009, 01:53
as far as learning with an army you wont get alot of game experience from VC. they skip alot of things that a new player needs to learn (psychology is a big one).

i started with lizardmen right when 7th came out. they have a good learning curve and a good amount of every apsect in the game. if i was to suggest a good starter army it would be lizzies.

Pulsks
05-03-2009, 02:14
D6 it!
That's how I got stuck with woodies over lizzies and ogres. :P

Seandy
05-03-2009, 02:24
hmmms intresting....what to work mmms what to pick... so tough.

ChaosVC
05-03-2009, 02:50
Roll a d6.:rolleyes:

Seandy
05-03-2009, 02:56
out of curiosity what abtilies do lizardmen have?

ChaosVC
05-03-2009, 03:02
Cold blooded. 3d6 for leadership and break test, discard the highest dice.

Seandy
05-03-2009, 03:12
Still tough sell anyways i got to sleep keep replys coming!

orkz222
05-03-2009, 03:37
Go with the army that have models you like the most/look best to u in appearance, since you likely will change army once u grasp more of the game if u choose an army base on the army rules only.

If u like the above mention armies,

HE is almost same as LM, except

HE move faster,strike 1st - strike hard & fast
LM higher T,harder to break - more resilience

just to list some differences.

VC is in a league of its own, using your crappy troops to hold enemies in place while waiting for your heavy hitters to hit them, making them auto-break through outnumber/fear. But against a good opponent you do get outplay , since your troops cant flee, but good news is you can keep regen your troops.

Also if budget is a concern, then VC is out, you need quite a lot of core troops for invoc/raise dead/summon undead and also starting blocks. Black knights etc blisters also quite exp as everything add up since u need them as your heavy hitters.

The Red Scourge
05-03-2009, 06:05
Lizards-Lizards seem to have quite silly looking basic small units but as it gets bigger it gets much more intresting models

Vampire counts-Looks complexe to paint....the unlike tomb kings it has an intresting look to them since the last editions.

High Elves- They are very tall bright colors and seems quite silmilar they are a generic humaniod and reminds me of classic fantasy when i'm painting

This is what it essentially comes down to. What models do you like, as you need to want to paint them and painted models do fight a lot better.

I am currently working on a VC army, and I can assure you, that they aren't anymore complex than any other once you get the feel for the models, you'll know what to look for for this army, I'm trying out the armypainter quickshades, and with this, some basic colours and a little drybrushing, you can really go far in very little time.

High Elves is great for "lazy" painters, as the army has a low model count something which can't be said for VC. Do take some time looking at painting logs, as there are some very good examples of armies with a darker twist than the standard oh-so-good white/blue look.

I'll never get to understand what appeals to people about lizards. Giant space frogs perhaps, but the lizards/dino thing really don't belong in a fantasy world IMO :p

But as I said, go with an army that appeals to you, and makes you want to paint. From then on its just to learn how to use it :)

Seandy
05-03-2009, 10:55
Honestly i can't do goblins i have alot of goblins to paint but i know i'm going to die of boredom painting the skull pass goblins so many so the same so basic ARGGG!! i could do it but meh.

Seandy
05-03-2009, 13:01
well hearing different threads and so forth there isn't to much on vampire counts but it appears to me that lizardmen may be very intresting to paint and a force to be reckoned with there wizards can compete with elves, they are savage and are tough (Not as tough as choas or a dwarf but still tough)

But now that i have choosen an army how to go about building it!, what would be a smart way to go about this. (Proably starting cheap)

DarkMark
05-03-2009, 13:15
Hi,
LM can be very cheap to get into as their battalion box contains over 700points alone! So pick up a battalion box, slaan and a steggy to start. This should give you a solid start, and add 3x terries, more skinks etc latter as required. Don't forget the book too.

Seandy
05-03-2009, 13:20
Intresting i am still intrested in how the VC play and elves first strike is tempting but LM seem to have tougher wizards and more intresting fun and a large army but not all hoard like night goblins.

garythewargamer
05-03-2009, 16:00
Okay here is my two cents. Vamps with special units and characters can really be painted nice. Yes their core units tend to be a little on the plain side but still workable. LM have, as you have been told already, easily painted troops. Of course I do not call dry brushing real easy as I am still getting the basics down. Their special monster and characters can really stand out with a lot of time and effort. I have see a few which really jumps out at you across the board. HE are harder to paint, at least for me, but can really look nice.

Your playing style and preference is what really matters.

Vamps with raising the dead can keep their core units at strenght which is a big plus. They have very good screening units and they are cheap also. They have a couple of eternal units which can only be harmed by magic or magical weapons. Those can drive your opponent nuts. The undead that I have played against have not used the heavy cav so I can offer no inputs there. Vampires are not only good casters but are pretty good in close combat. They are a first tier toughest army or second tier at least.

Lizardmen have a new book which means their power level is up and people are not familiar with them. Skinks are cheap and effective shooters. They can dominate the magic phase. Their troops are very good, maybe a little under priced but that is my thought. They have two moving artillery monsters which are very good. The stegs are just plain awesome and pure trouble for most people to deal with.

HE are a finesse army mostly. With Teclis and support they can at least stay even or dominate anyones magic phase. HE lore is a very good all round one with both offensive and defensive spells. RBTs with no chance of misfire and archers which shoot 30 vice 24 can dominate the shooting phase against most people with some exceptions like empire, DE or WE to name a few. HE infantry is weak T3 and more costly than others. But with the always strike first, except for a few magical items, they can be destructive. They do not have to get the charge off to kill people. Their spearman get one more rank of attacks than normal, on defense 3 ranks on offense two ranks. Dragon Princes have two attacks and are immune to fire, plus they move 8 vice 7 of other Heavy Cav. Exception Bretonnias. HE get more special chooses than every one else which is needed. HE elite infantry is slight more costly than others but are designed for usually one certain role. Sword masters kill stuff, PG stand and take it, white lions ignore terrain, ignore arrows mostly, stubborn and can dish it out. I love the lion chariots do not use the horse ones or silver helms. Shadow warriors look very nice but I believe they are two costly. Rare choices I believe you get some additional ones but I can not be sure. I have already talked about RBTs. War eagles are cheap and very good march blockers and war machine hunters. HE have three dragons to choose from. This allows you to at least be competative against nearly every one. HE have some special heroes which are very good for their point cost. There lord choices are excellant if a little weaker than others and maybe slightly overpriced than others. But everyone has their own opinion. And we know what they say about opinions everyone has an opinion and an a--hole, and they smell about the same. Eltharion the Grim on Stormwing, a griffon is an awesome combination. A reasonable hard hitting lord with great leadership and movement factor. Then he is a 2nd level magic users which gives him some more punch. The shadow king is an excellant lord reasonable cost. Good leadership, good attacks, some protection against shooting, better chance of surviving a failure of a combat break test and a special magical weapon. A single shot RBT that a character can use, well it hits like that anyway. Tyrion, one of the brothers, is great but I believe over cost. +1 armour save with a ward save, mr2, regen and a very good magical weapon.

Okay I guess you can see I favor the HE. Okay I liked the vulcans on star trek.