PDA

View Full Version : Question for players of 40k AND Fantasy

de Selby
09-12-2005, 18:41
For people with armies of both sorts, do you have similar armies for both systems, or are they completely different?

By this I mean, do undead players also have necron armies? What about space marines and brettonians? Eldar and High/Wood Elves? Orks and Orcs (this is pretty common I think, there's something about being green)?

Or have you deberately collected a very different army in each system?

More generally, do people who build gunlines in 40k do the same where their Fantasy armies are concerned? Do White Scars and Ravenwing players build Fantasy armies with lots of fast cavalry? etc.

?

Gethalorre
09-12-2005, 19:17
Well I have, Orks and Orcs and Drop troops and skaven...

So, partly but not completely.

Frecus
09-12-2005, 19:25
Well, I have Lahmian vampires & SoB... Both female...:chrome:
My woodies are quite different from both, so it seems I have more a knack for niche armies (al three of them are) than similair playstyles.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Atzcapotzalco
09-12-2005, 19:35
Dwarfs, southlands lizardmen, and Tyranids.
Nope, precious little similarity there past the lack of humanity.

A neutral shade of black.
09-12-2005, 19:39
Dark elves and Tau. Similar because I picked them for models and background over actual rules (making a mistake in both cases, but tough for me). Other than that, absolutely not similar, though dark eldar would be my immediate choice if GW reworked the models, and Tau have no 40k equivalent.

Muzzle
09-12-2005, 21:16
CSM HtH and Dwarves Shooty, so not even close I guess.

arkbird
09-12-2005, 21:27
Lost and the Damned, CSM - Thousands Sons, Tau, Necrons, and IG
High Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven, Dwarves, Lizardmen

Venkh
09-12-2005, 21:29
Dark Elves and Craftworld Eldar. I have other armies but these are the two that i get hot and bothered about.

SmashemTaBitsa
09-12-2005, 21:29
Kinda:
40k: Orks and Nurgle

Fantasy: Lizzies and <soon> Skaven

Gabekun
09-12-2005, 21:39
40k: Loyalist Space Marines, Tyranids
WHFB: Mortal Tzeentch

Only real likeness is that my tzeentch and space marines are both blue (though not the exact same hue) :)

Acolyte
09-12-2005, 22:12
Tau and Empire.
Pretty similar, although Empire is obviously closer to the Guard.

Sir_Turalyon
09-12-2005, 22:18
Main 40k army: Guard
Main WFB army: Bretonnians.
I would not call them similar at all (unless I field guard as amoured company. But even then, spirit of the armies is very different).

But as aside armies I collect Dark Elves, Dark Eldar, Orcs&Goblins and Orks :rolleyes:...

Anaxagorax
09-12-2005, 22:21
WH40K:

Emperor's Children
Emperor's Children, 2nd army
Mortifactor Space Marines
Black Legion
Lost and the Damned
Space Wolves 13th Company
Harlequins
Eldar
Dark Eldar
Imperial Guard
Necrons
Daemon Hunters

WHFB:

Dark Elves

Well, hmm... The dark pointy-ears shows up in both :) I just pick armies I like, whether it be because of the background or models. I have a special fondness for chaos in all its forms, but I think the WHFB incarnation is rather boring and crappy actually, both fluff and models.

:) Anax

sulla
09-12-2005, 22:29
Let's see...

Fantasy; Dark Elf fear and terror army and Chaos infantry army.

40K; Blood axe orks, Blood Angel footsloggers and Inquisition force of stormies and deathwatch.

The only real commonality is that they are all very characterful armies with high roleplay potential.

Eisenhorn
09-12-2005, 22:50

tau
ig

wfb

skaven

well i just like lots of models as i always field all six troop slots with tau
ig no brainer its a hord army
skaven:rolleyes: hehe

they all have lots of spcial rules wich a love and they are also geard towards shooting

Pokpoko
09-12-2005, 23:10
40k-tau
WFB-Lizards.
only thing in common is that they were both "new races" at one point,and both can have blue skin;)
differences-tau:shooty,lots of crisis suits
Lizzies-big blocks of saurus infantry,few skinks.
so,except for taking "fluffy" units, not much in common in gameplay on my part :angel:

TK421
09-12-2005, 23:15
40k- Orks, Eldar and Chaos
Fantasy- High Elves

So somewhat.

Venomizer
09-12-2005, 23:16
40K:
Necrons

Fantasy:
Orcs

pretty much nothing in common really, the same applies for when I start my Saim Hann and Ogre armies

starlight
09-12-2005, 23:23
40K:
Orks*
Tyranids
Sisters of Battle (not WH)
Harlequins (DEWC)
Mech/Drop IG*
Salamanders*

WFB:
Snotling Horde*
Goblins*
Orcs*

Fairly evenly balanced between Horde and not. Generally the only theme that is constant is (aside from Synapse) generally zero magic/psyker.

*Oddly enough a lot of green armies. My Tyranids are purple armour/yellow skin, Sisters are white armour/blue accents, Harlequins are.....well, Harlequins:D.

IncubiLord
10-12-2005, 01:00
I like to play the close-quarters bad guys.
My 40K is Tyranids, Orks, Dark Eldar (current force) and the Space Marines that I started with but don't really use much now.
I'm collecting a Skink army (Some converting and "Counts As" required), and a fast undead army (Vampire).
Haven't actually finished building up the fantasy stuff, but there is a pattern.

onlainari
10-12-2005, 01:16
I've played orcs and goblins for 5 years now. I started tau in march. They're my only armies, make of it what you will.

boogle
10-12-2005, 01:36
I do Dwarfs in WFB.................................so really i have no option but to do IG in 40K, however i'm a sucker for all 'good guy' armies in both systems (except Eldar and High Elves)

N'bel
10-12-2005, 02:27
I play Salamanders, Guard, Dwarfs, and Empire.

What? I like to shoot stuff :evilgrin:

HobbitTank
11-12-2005, 01:42
IG

WHFB
Bretonnians
Dwarfs

The Bretonnina Army has as many peseants in it as I can get, and it is similarly true with the Imperial Guard and conscripts.
With the Dwarfs, I tend to take more warmachines than is good for me, and with IG, whenever I'm not loaded with too many conscripts, I take more tanks than I probably should.

With all three armies, my winning record is not to great, but I very rarely have a battle in which both sides did not have a very good time.

Oh, and they're all mostly unpainted. (stupid lazy self...)

Kahadras
11-12-2005, 03:13
I think I have a thing for heavy armour as I play Marines in 40K (all varieties) and Bretonnians in Warhammer. I have player Eldar and Wood elves before as well which match to. Weird:eyebrows:

Kahadras

DarkstarSabre
11-12-2005, 03:16
40k: Loyallist Marines, Chaos Marines (Death Guard, Word Bearer variant list)

Fantasy: Lizardmen.

Next?

40k: Reavers (Lost and the Damned)
Fantasy: Clan Moulder Hell Pit list.

EVIL INC
11-12-2005, 05:57
I played chaos in pretty much all GW games. This is because so many of the models easily mix from game to game and conversions betwixt them are also easy. Did I mention it is easier on the wallet?:rolleyes:

SeaCaptain
11-12-2005, 06:15
When I first started playing I built a Tomb kings army, I just loved the whole egypt-mummy theme. Then I built a Necron army for 40k, just had to built a Monolyth.

sephiroth87
11-12-2005, 06:40
My fantasy army is a horde, hand to hand Vampire Counts, and my 40k army is a shooty, elite Undivided army. I built the 40k army, then went for the complete opposite in fantasy.

Just wanted a little variety, I guess.

Hal
11-12-2005, 08:11
Presently, I have a 2.5k Empire army in WHFB. I do not as yet have a 40k army - however, i have on several occasions considered a "Soviet Russia" type guard army (Commissar by the bucketload, lots of conscripts) and an Iron Hands Sm army. It would seem that I enjoy humans, defending, and shooting.

It should be noted that in all RPG's, MMORPGs, Wargames, fantasy RTS, etc etc I ALWAYS play a human of some type, usually with am religious bent (Priest, Cleric, Preacher, etc).

~Hal~

Brimstone
11-12-2005, 08:42
For people with armies of both sorts, do you have similar armies for both systems, or are they completely different?

Nope very different almost complete opposites in fact - Tyranids & Ogres.

Ronin Zero
11-12-2005, 12:34
Skaven (more a horde than a SAD army) in Fantasy, Blood Angels in 40K.

Two armies very dissimilar in tactics, but similar in the fact that they're both really easy to cheese out, though I try not to. I'll be posting my lists on the relevant forums soon, so y'all can be the judge.

Ronin Zero

Minister
11-12-2005, 12:39
Ultramarines, Orks, Guard, Black Legion and (the only one I've done anything with for some time) Witch Hunters for 40K, Ogres for fantasy.

I might have done Orcs, but I couldn't face the thought of all that goblin green.

de Selby
11-12-2005, 12:47
Hmm.

No general pattern emerging here that I can see. There ARE people who collect corresponding armies (and some who collect so many things that it's difficult to tell whether they do or not...) but I'm not sure if it's more than I'd expect by pure chance.

I don't have any special motivation for asing, btw. I'm just curious, and I think it's the kind of information that might shed some light on other questions. When OK came out I remember people said they would be the space marines of Fantasy; in fact they seem to be a very unforgiving army to play, but they have drawn people like me (and Brimstone?!) into Fantasy in the way that SM draw a lot of people into 40k, so I think maybe there's something in it.

Karhedron
11-12-2005, 13:03
In 40K I play Marines and Eldar, both of which are fairly elite armies. In Fantasy I play Orcs and Vampire Counts which are much more hordish.

I don't really have any particular reason for most of the armies I play. I just follow the rule of cool and pick up whatever appeals to me. :cool:

Wraithbored
11-12-2005, 17:33
Very much so in 40k main army is Eldar and in fantasy I play Wood and High Elves, but I do play Nids in 40 k as well, and my fascination for pointy ears has leaked into BFG as well. The only reason why I don't play Necromunda and Inquisitor is lack of "elflike" organisms. But this is not a rule I'll play anythign that looks and plays cool.

Lafeel Abriel
11-12-2005, 17:41
Lets see..

40k: Chaos, Tau

Fantasy: Empire

Not much in common between those three armies now, is there?

Deathmasterskon
11-12-2005, 17:41
Skaven and Tau. Umm... not really- I think I chose Tau partly to get away from painting a horde. I use a similar colour scheme, depressingly...

heretic
11-12-2005, 18:06
bretts, thinking about dwarves in WHFB

Necrons and chaos in 40k

so they're pretty much completely different

Hlokk
11-12-2005, 18:21
Fairly similar:

40k: Guard
WHFB: Empire

40k: Marines
WHFB: Brettonians

40k: Tau
WHFB: Wood elves (I know its a stretch but their both dead shooty)

40k: Lost and the damned horde army
WHFB: Skaven: Clan Eshin

sigur
11-12-2005, 18:35
40k: IG, SoB, [Orks, Tau]
WHFB: DE

I wanted to go for something totally different. Maybe I'll start with Brets or some other WHFB army in the future, But I don't think that it will be anything too similar to IG or SoB.

Venerable Player
11-12-2005, 21:51
High Elves and SW... Not the same, but awaiting new Codex for both desperately.

VP

Minister
12-12-2005, 01:53
Skaven and Tau. Umm... not really- I think I chose Tau partly to get away from painting a horde. I use a similar colour scheme, depressingly...
And, of course, your Zombie Pirate Horde.

Alco Engineer
12-12-2005, 02:41
40k: Eldar, Speed Feeks and World Eaters

WHFB: Vampire Counts

40k I like the fast maneuverable and unforgiving tactics involved with fast armies able to dish it out but still be fairly fragile.

WH: Is a totally different story. I like the rambling hoard of undead and the pains it causes my opponent when I dominate the magic phase. (I guess the magic bit's akin to 2nd Ed Eldar)

He Who Laughs
12-12-2005, 05:58
From 2nd ed 40K: Eldar
From 3rd ed 40K: Necrons and Alpha Legion
From 4th ed 40K: Marines and Imperial Guard

From 6th ed Fantasy: Lizardmen - Red Host

For me theres no correlation, I just play what I think is cool. Generally, I don;t like doing the same thing twice - and at the moment I'm really into my Imperial Guard - they kick serious backside on Cityfight-style tables. For the Emperor!!

EDIT: Although, I do collect a Haradrim force for LoTR - have an Eldar Fleet for BFG and a Skaven Warband for Mordheim. In some ways, I think I prefer the lightly armoured, speedy, stealthy approach to things (my Lizardmen are Skink-heavy).

asparagus
12-12-2005, 07:11
Fantasy: Dark Elves, Skaven, Dwarfes
40k: Dark Eldar, Kroot, Space Marines, Tau
Necromunda: Delaque
LotR: Mordor

... and that's mainly because I like the models.

Xander-K
12-12-2005, 08:00
I don't have any special motivation for asing, btw. I'm just curious, and I think it's the kind of information that might shed some light on other questions. When OK came out I remember people said they would be the space marines of Fantasy; in fact they seem to be a very unforgiving army to play, but they have drawn people like me (and Brimstone?!) into Fantasy in the way that SM draw a lot of people into 40k, so I think maybe there's something in it.
I don't think there's anything in it to be fair, the main appeal of OK is they are few elite units much like the deathwing, I guess their size gives them an advantage (esp. in warhammer fantasy).. but nothing like as popular as the marines.

The main reason people mostly play their armies is because of the look of the models, so if the army has a good looking range they will more likely be chosen.

MrBear
12-12-2005, 08:52
WHFB: Orcs and starting a Chaos army

40K: Ultramarines

Quite the opposites of each other I would say

adreal
12-12-2005, 08:58
Hmm....lets see

Fantasy: Tomb Kings, High Elves, Wood Elves, (soon to have Dark Elves)

40K: Tyranids, might do Tau as well

nothing to simular i guess