PDA

View Full Version : Have you played in a Tournament?

Master Stark
05-03-2009, 14:07
Just to try and get things a little cleared up.

A couple of follow up questions:

Do you change your standards of behaviour in a tournament? By which I mean are you more or less forgiving of mistakes, close measurements and LOS issues?

Do you enjoy tournaments?

How many have you played in? And what sizes were they?

Do you play in tournaments for other game systems? And how do you find they compare to 40K events?

EldarWonderland
05-03-2009, 14:12
Played in 2 doubles tournaments (WHFB and 40K) 1500pt with my 12 yr old son.

We had a great time, opponents were pleasant and helped us with rules while still beating us :)

Behaviour stayed the same but we took more notice of HOW they actually played as opposed to rulesmithing.

Good learning experience.

AmBlam
05-03-2009, 14:20
I haven't and I don't intend to. I guess if everyone is taking powerlists there may be some good matchups in there which result in good games so I can see the draw.

Hellfury
05-03-2009, 14:32
1)Do you change your standards of behaviour in a tournament? By which I mean are you more or less forgiving of mistakes, close measurements and LOS issues?

2)Do you enjoy tournaments?

3)How many have you played in? And what sizes were they?

4)Do you play in tournaments for other game systems? And how do you find they compare to 40K events?

1) No, my attitude doesn't change in tourneys. I approach all games as friendly.
2) Not anymore. Tired of dinks who think winning a game is more important than having fun while playing.
3) Too many to count. between 1200 and 2500 points.
4) Yes. 40K run events are the poorest I have ever attended. Largely due to the fact that 40K's rules aren't tight enough to stand up to cursory scrutiny for truly comptetive play like so many people like to thump their chests about.

the blind knight
05-03-2009, 14:33
Played and won a tournamnet,aldo it was only a small local tournament(20 players)

As much as I like reading fluff,converting and painting my Daemonhunters and Tau,there is little in the world of 40k that can compare to crushing your opponent utterly and completly.:D

<sits downn:,and waits for the attacks from the casual players to begin>

Mkstein
05-03-2009, 14:40
Played in a couple of instore tourneys

Never win, so don't play to

Enjoy playing games, so tournaments are just collections of games

I always play by the same standards, so tourneys don't change it

Played 40K & LoTR

IAMNOTHERE
05-03-2009, 14:46
I've played in quite a few, often I take sub par lists like pure GK or Mechanicus themed IG.

I know I'm not going to win all that much so go with a friendly, open attitude and hope for a good game.

If however someone starts being "a dick" with the rules, etc then being a bit of a rules guru I do it right back. I play by the letter of the rules but with a couple of caveats, the stricter you are with me, the stricter I'll be with you.

Bloodknight
05-03-2009, 14:55
Yes, I attend tournaments. Not often, like twice a year.

Do you change your standards of behaviour in a tournament? By which I mean are you more or less forgiving of mistakes, close measurements and LOS issues?

I used to be just as forgiving as in friendly games, but stopped doing so because people tend to screw you over if you do. (As in: leniency tends to be a one-way ticket in my experience). Also, I don't accept rules mistakes by the player of the other army. One can get a basic rule wrong, but not correctly playing their army rules is cheating, IMO.

Once in a while I need the competition. But mostly I prefer friendly games with my mates.

I've only started going to tournaments in the last two years. So maybe half a dozen. I usually attend tournaments with at least 30 players.

Do you play in tournaments for other game systems? And how do you find they compare to 40K events?

I used to play Classic BattleTech competitively, but found out that in that tournament scene people were a lot more anal than in 40K and fun wasn't really existant, so I stopped doing it, although I am a much better BattleTech player than 40K player.

SPYDER68
05-03-2009, 15:01
I usually play 2 tourneys a month.

Why ? Not to win

One is an hour away and its a good chance to play vs people i normall would never play against.

Do i have fun ? Very much so.

Am i stingy about the rules ?

Yep, people should know the rules in a tourney, if they dont im nice about it if they are the same, ive had to prove to somone i can move 6" and rapid fire at 12" for example.

Do i take lists to win ? Of course, but with that, i always take a list i enjoy playing, just not to win at same time, even around here when playing for fun with friends, we take lists that will do good / can win.

Right now for example, my 1k Guard list looks sad, when i say sad i mean a little over the top, but at same time... im playing IG, our infantry platoons blow atm, you gota compensate with tanks...

Do people get to into tourneys ? not as much as others think.

Frontier
05-03-2009, 15:09

A) No. I would approach it the same way I do my normal games....try to blow stuff up and cause havoc.

B) No. I doubt I would. There is too much ego on the line, and I just don't find toy soldier gaming a competitive sport.

C) 0

D) I played a Magic tourney once, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. That pretty much kept me away from ever doing a tournament.

incarna
05-03-2009, 15:14
I do change my standards of behavior somewhat in a tournament. In casual tabletop play I am more than willing to let my opponent take back a units movement if he didn’t realize something. I’m very forgiving of mistakes. In tournament play, I start out with the same standard of behavior unless my opponent diminishes his level forgiveness, in which case I adjust my standards to those set by my opponent.

I enjoy tournaments very very much. It’s a great deal of fun to play against new opponents with different armies. It’s also an extremely friendly place with a lot of players who are there to joke around and have a good time.

I’ve played in more tournaments than I could count over 10 years in the hobby. They ranged in size from 1250 points to 1850 points.

No. I do not participate in tournaments for other games.

Count de Monet
05-03-2009, 15:31
Yes, I have played in tournaments.

Pretty similar in casual games vs. tournaments. Whether that means I'm a jerk in casual games or an easy mark in tournaments, I don't know. ;) The attitude and experience of the opponent will skew my perceptions and reactions.

Yes. A well-organized event is a good thing for me. I generally have limited time to play, so when I do get the time the ability to get 3 games in on one day, especially against different people/armies than I'm used to is treasured. I do wish there was a little more time generally built in to allow for a little more BS/'hey cool fig' moments without having to rush through turns, but overall the organization is a plus for me.

If I could get a day with multiple games against different folks (preferably with cool & painted armies) in a reasonable amount of time without it being an official 'tournament' I'd be quite happy about it.

For me the tournament fee is the price I pay to not have my time wasted. With all the $ I've put into armies, an extra $10 to get a chance to actually use them is a relatively small price to pay. If I happen to win something, great, but I'm mostly there for the games and to play against othe folks/armies. The opportunity to check out other armies I'm not actually playing against is a plus too.

Sure, sometimes I'll play against a jerk, but I probably would sometimes in 'casual' games too. A poorly run tournament, that starts hours late, has confusing missions and scoring and is generally shoddily organized is generally a huge waste of my time and money. I'll stick it out so as not to make the experience worse for the other players by leaving them short, but there have been times when I should have just stayed home and had more fun trimming flash and mold lines.

I've played in a number, maybe about a dozen? Definitely not one of the folks who've played in two a month for the last ten years and travel across the country to big events and such. Mine have been relatively local affairs, ranging from 8-40 people.

Do you play in tournaments for other game systems? And how do you find they compare to 40K events

Only other gaming-type tournament I've done have been for WHFB, which is pretty much the same as it's pretty much the same crowd.

Enderel
05-03-2009, 15:36

I'm more forgiving in friendly games rather than harsher in tournaments. In games with my mates I'll let them get away with a few things. In pick up games and tournies I'll play by the rules and would expect others to do so. In friendlies I don't mind changing the rules or bending them to make for a better game.

Very much so, we don't have that many players around us so any games I get to play where I face different armies is very much appreciated.

A fair few now, from locals to GT's. 16 people to 170. Tend to go to around 5 a year if I can. 4 local ones and the UK GT heats.

Unfortunately not as the other game systems I like don't tend to have tournaments. From playing other things competitively (e.g. PC Games on LAN's) the attitude is very similar to 40k, but it really depends on who you talk to and mingle with during them.

SquishySquig
05-03-2009, 15:45
played a Magic tourney once, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. That pretty much kept me away from ever doing a tournament.

:skull: Ditto this remark. However I am planning on attending the Las Vegas GT this year so hopefully that will go well. :skull:

Lord Inquisitor
05-03-2009, 15:49
1) Do you change your standards of behaviour in a tournament? By which I mean are you more or less forgiving of mistakes, close measurements and LOS issues?

2) Do you enjoy tournaments?

3) How many have you played in? And what sizes were they?

4) Do you play in tournaments for other game systems? And how do you find they compare to 40K events?

1) A little. I expect players in a tournament to be up on the rules and I will usually play a little more seriously. For your average game I might do stupid stuff like ramming vehicles but I'll play to win in a tournie. That said, I try to approach all games as fun and not get anal about LOS issues and stuff. Tournaments are a lot more fun if you both enjoy the game!

2) Absolutely. I like the competitive edge and the variety of opponents. Every so often you get a game against TFG, but overall it's a lot of fun.

3) I've played in dozens of small tournies and a few larger ones. Small tournies seem to be exclusively 1850 points, while larger ones are 1750.

4) I've played plenty of Fantasy and one Epic tournie, which, to be honest, I find more fun than the 40K ones. Perhaps these games attract a more mature type of player, but these events are usually more laid back.

Coragus
05-03-2009, 15:59
I've played in a Rogue Trader event with about 10 people and won Best Sportsman. Only won 1 out of 3 games with Space Marines.

I also played a local (before I moved) tourney with 10 people and won one game with Orks. It's the one and only time I ever won a Best Paintjob.

Of course I change my attitude in a tourney. I have to keep my emotions in check. It's different when I play my friends.

I haven't been in a Fantasy tourney yet, but I'm signed up for Exterminatus and Adepticon.

Daniel36
05-03-2009, 16:03
I've played several, most were organized by our own club. I did participate in a GW organized tournament called Frenzy, here in Holland. It was alright... I am more of a hobbyist, less of a gamer, and I force myself to participate in at least our club tournaments, just so I play a little more.

I enjoy the smaller tournaments more... I am not a competitive player, so even in tournaments I don't really play to win, but that is mostly because I am an idiot.

I played one really small Fantasy tournament years ago, which wasn't all that great. I've organized a few as well, but again, small.

Cry of the Wind
05-03-2009, 16:06
I love tournaments and try to get to them as often as work allows me to. I don't change the way I play generally although being more polite with people I don't know is par for the course (need those sportsmenship marks ;)) but that is really standard with anyone I'm not familiar with. As for the points in the OP:

1.) I am no more or less forgiving than normal since I play every game with the same rules and apply them equally to all games. I won't take crap in a non-tournament game anymore than I will in a tournament. As far as mistakes go everyone makes them sometimes and unless I have a reason to distrust you (not many people thankfully) I'll take your word for it and help you understand the rule in question.

2.) I love them, best gaming I have really. Playing against several different well painted armies in one day? Sign me up! Even if the race is the same the paint scheme and comp is usually different enough and different players and missions make for unique games.

3.) Can't count how many I've been in but it has been quite a lot over the years. I have played mostly in the 1500 to 2000 points range as the standard here is 1700pts for 40 and 2000pts for WHFB with the odd 1500pts tourny for either popping up once and awhile. Also been in a few doubles tournaments (which can be great fun!).

4.) Most of my experince is with 40k and WHFB tournaments which are about the same. Only major difference being that WHFB tends to have more older gamers with better painted armies. The few Warmachine tournaments I played were alright but I like the people and playstyle of the GW games more.

Grazzy
05-03-2009, 16:14
Ive never been in a tourney - the closest that i have been is ladders. They are fun but I prefer pick up games with mates over pizza.

The ladder was 1000 points as it was in a store that was always packed and so games had to be quick.

Draconian77
05-03-2009, 16:20

Nope, I couldn't care less whether you moved 6" or 6.2", the only thing that I tend to be fussy about is that you remember what units have fired at what. I tend to go left->right or vice versa when moving/shooting/assaulting but it doesn't seem to be common practice.

Very much so, chance of meeting some great people. Oh sure, you find the occasional *tra-la-la-la-la* but overall I think its worth a shot. I tend to shy away from the larger tournaments because the whole thing can feel rushed.

A few with variable results! :angel:
Generally 40k tournaments are 1500-1750pts with more players than the WHFB tournaments, which are generally around the 2000-2250pt mark.

Do online shooters count? I doubt it. So, I haven't experienced anything outside of the Warhammer tournament scene in terms on tabletop games.

I do wish that tournaments would use more interesting missions though, a few tournaments that I attend are for charity and the guy who runs them likes to spice things up. Some players really hate this but I love it.

Kurisu313
05-03-2009, 16:24
One a year, my club (the plymouth association of wargamers) runs a tournament for a few clubs in the neighbouring area. I've been going for 3 years. This year we had a record turnout of 30 player, and it was all done a friendly, semi-competitive fashion.

I approach all my games the same way, tournie or not. But at a tournie I WILL come down harder on any rules 'mistakes'. I paid money to get into that tournament, and you'd better play me fairly and know your own rules. Hasn't really happened abart from a newbie ork player who was using ghazkull. He tried to claim that his wierdboy could rally independently from his shoota boys. That, coincidentally or not, was my best game of the tournie, doubling my score after the first four games! Also, killing old Gazzie was fun :evilgrin:

I've also been to bristol conflict twice, which was mostly in the same atmosphere

blackroyal
05-03-2009, 16:26
1) ...40K's rules aren't tight enough to stand up to cursory scrutiny for truly comptetive play...

This (and cost) is why I have never really thought about attending tourneys. I have more than enough fun at the local store leagues.

Codsticker
05-03-2009, 16:32
Although I have attended a few tournaments (I try to get to one a year) I approach them in a pretty relaxed fashion (I'm bringing Guard after all ;)) but I do tend to dock sportsmanship scores if I see fudgey measuring and suspect movement. For example in one tournament game my opponent moved his bikes by measuring from the front of the base to the back of the base to get them within melta range; I docked him a few for that. In a friendly game I probably wouldn't even have noticed

Frontier
05-03-2009, 16:48
:skull: Ditto this remark. However I am planning on attending the Las Vegas GT this year so hopefully that will go well. :skull:

I wish you luck. Hopefully you will enjoy it.

Ubermensch Commander
05-03-2009, 17:05
Been to two Games Day Tournaments and a few instore ones. I found that the amount of fun at the tournament largely depended upon the opponent. I play to have fun, not to WIIIIIIIIINNNN *note: picture one human male: of slender or husky build, its your choice, with veins bulging from forehead and neck and face red as saying this last bit. One can only assume he equates the size of his man-bits with the numer of victories in a game of plastic men.*

Winning is fun, obviously, but if the process of getting to that win is like pulling teeth due to the belligerence or dodgy rules lawyering of an opponent, it ceases to be a game and is now a chore.

I do not go to other tournaments simply because none of my friends have said "hey lets go to X event!" which is how I ended up at Games Day LA.
That and I do not play any CCGs anymore and I do not enjoy the Privateer Press games, since its rules system plays out basically like a CCG with models.

Nals
05-03-2009, 17:14
i have played in five tournaments so far, and the best i have done is second place, and i approach them all the same way, and this is to just have fun and if i happen to win in the process then hey its a bonus. o and as a side not, tournaments in Canada are the best :)

Gorbad Ironclaw
05-03-2009, 17:26

Not really, no. I try to play the same way as I do every other game, fairly laid back. It's suppose to be fun after all.

Why else would I go to them? I generally find it quite enjoyable.

I've only actually played in a couple of 40k tournaments. I've played a fair number of Warhammer tournaments and a couple of Warmachine tournaments too.

In general I don't find that the game system have anything to do with the experience of the tournament. It's the way it's run and the way people act, and that might not be anything to do with system played.

Acolyte
05-03-2009, 17:35
I've played in a number of small tournies at my FLGS, as well as one Conflict. I played pretty much the same as I always do, and so did everybody else, rarely did people become douchnozzles about the game.

Although, to be fair, I did play in a MWDA tourny once, and quit the game the next day because of the epic douchnozzles I encountered. So, I guess it all depends on the people.

SquishySquig
05-03-2009, 17:47
I wish you luck. Hopefully you will enjoy it.

:skull:Thanks. I'm sure I will and am actually looking forward to it.

Oh and as far as the original post goes.
I don't plan on playing any differently than I do now.:skull:

Brother Loki
05-03-2009, 17:49

Not that I'm aware of. I play in a pretty loose and relaxed manner in most situations.

Yes, but primarily as its a chance ot play lots of games in a short space of time with a variety of people and armies. I'm not there to win or anything - in fact I frequently come dead last. I just like playing.

About 10 local ones, ranging from 10-30 players.

Do you play in tournaments for other game systems? And how do you find they compare to 40K events?[/QUOTE]
I've played in Warmachine ones, and also several different CCGs, such as 40kCCG, Legend of the 5 Rings, 7th Sea etc. Again, I play in a pretty relaxed way.

infernus31
05-03-2009, 17:54
I've played in quite a few from in club tournaments, to those of X Legion and Carnage.

I think I'm just more observant, if I see an error I'm prepared to point it out. I don't mean in a nickpickey 'oh you did this thing out of sequence- im going to report you' kind of way but just to improve general knowledge of rules, people do it to me too, and I'm cool with it. I'm always happy to give the opponent the benefit of the doubt, otherwise it's going to get tense - and I'm not one for tense games.

on the whole , yes, I like meeting fellow gamers, the atmosphere, and getting the chance to play as many games with toy soldiers as I can, I like to win, but fun is the most paramount factor of my enjoyment, there have been tournaments where this hasnt happenend, those are the ones I prefer to forget.

Oh goodness knows, at least 20 probably- mostly doubles tournies at 750 points or the standard 1500 points a side deal. These rnage from local (uni club, GW store) to warhammer world (Carnage, Watchmen, Lord of the Rings GT)

Ive played in fantasy and lotr ring tournies, and out of all them Id say 40k so far has been the best system for tournies, fantasy can get bogged down in details and complex rules lawyerness 9something I tend to avoid) and lotr was pretty good, but 40k its just the general style of games and enjoyment of playing armies of guardsmen monstrous carnifex or deep striking blood angels that I really enjoy. I must admit havent played much 5th ed tournies and im not sure I like the new style of victory, which may be why I play whfb more at the moment.

Vaktathi
05-03-2009, 18:05
Do you change your standards of behaviour in a tournament? By which I mean are you more or less forgiving of mistakes, close measurements and LOS issues? Yes, I think almost everyone does this. consolidation moves are much more closely watched, measurement much more exact, rules looked up more often, and every advantage looked to be gained.

I think this comes from two sources, the competitive environment as well as playing with people you aren't familiar with. Even when playing competitive games with friends, I'm not usually as picky.

Do you enjoy tournaments? I usually only play because they are the only games I'm likely to get in that week. Sometimes there is fun to be had, but I honestly enjoy friendly games and well organized Apocalypse games much more. I'm considering not going to the next few tournament events just because they aren't as fun as normal play.

How many have you played in? And what sizes were they? probably about 15-20. 1750/1850/2000pts.

I've done a couple Flames of War events. Generally the same sort of behavior occurs, but in different ways. Template placing is...very suspicious at times, command distance is often iffy, etc.

40kdhs
05-03-2009, 18:06
I treat tournament like my regular games. Of course, you will never know who you will play and you have to finish your game at certain time. It's all about having good time.

dahli.llama
05-03-2009, 18:52
I've played in 1 tournament and I plan on playing in more. For me it's a chance to play against different people an armies.

Yes I change my style a bit in tournaments, I'm not as forgiving, but I'm not as concerned about 1/10 of an inch as I am about blatant violations and mixups. I will bring lists that are tailored to win to a tournament, while I'm more likely to bring less competitive lists to a casual game.

Blinder
05-03-2009, 20:42
Only done local store tourneys for 40k, between not knowing of any GW events in my area and not really expecting to enjoy them (I could watch but most of the publicity photos and stuff make them look far too crowded/noisy for me to be able to play, I just don't do crowded spaces all that well if I have to concentrate on something). Might still try one someday.

-Do you change your standards of behaviour in a tournament? By which I mean are you more or less forgiving of mistakes, close measurements and LOS issues?

Generally about as forgiving of mistakes (which are different than cheating) as long as the person in question offers an appropriate resolution (which generally happens with the group I play with, and the storeowner is pretty good about keeping things amicable). In any game I'm pretty likely to call a 3rd party in on measurement/LOS issues, though that's more to make sure I'm not seeing what I want to see, rather than the other way around. Haven't run into any actual cheating but I doubt I'd handle that any differently (ask the other player to kindly pack up and leave- pushing the rules is one thing, knowingly breaking them is just stupid).

-Do you enjoy tournaments?
Quite, as a few folks have said they're a great way to make sure you're getting a few games in that day.

"A few," the store here does an event every month or so, usually in the 1500-2000 point range, generally a dozen people is "big" though.

Sometimes worse, sometimes better. I've found the right people can make a fun tourney with any system, whereas the wrong people will screw things up no matter what the game (I've been in some fun magic tourneys and some terrible ones, and used to do a lot of chess tournaments in HS/college... if people think 40k's rules are too loose for tournament play, I offer chess as a good example of why the rules are several orders of magnitude less important than the people involved- granted, things will usually move a lot more smoothly because there are hundreds of *years* of "how to run this stuff" but one jerk can still make everyone wish they were somewhere else. I understand the "loose rules" argument, I just think it's pretty easy to overcome if the people running the show do a good job of being in charge compared to the disastrous effects bad sportsmanship can have).

SanguinaryDan
05-03-2009, 20:57
-Do you change your standards of behaviour in a tournament? By which I mean are you more or less forgiving of mistakes, close measurements and LOS issues?
My behavior doesn't change, though I'm waaaaay less forgiving of obvious cheating. Mistakes happen, they just better not happen two turns in a row.

-Do you enjoy tournaments?
Yes. I enjoy tournaments because it gives me the chance to play against people and armies that I might not normally face.

-How many have you played in? And what sizes were they?
I've probably played in a couple of dozen over the years. Everything from 500 point skirmish to 2500 point 'Ard Boyz.

-Do you play in tournaments for other game systems? And how do you find they compare to 40K events?
Mostly air combat game tournaments. Boardgame tournaments are usually a bit more laid back since you have more time to finish and don't have to pack and unpack a bucket load of figs.

damiengore
05-03-2009, 21:15
1. No. I always play to have a great time and to have fun. I am always forgiving of mistakes and stuff, it's the gentlemanly thing to do!

2. Yes, it's good motivation to paint and lots of fun to see all the great armies and players

3. dozens of any size from a combat patrol tourney (400pt) to 2000pt

4. Played some fantasy tourney's, fun and very lively!

Bodysnatcher
05-03-2009, 23:11
Done the UKGT for 40K every year since 3rd ed came out, and Fantasy where possible. Doing the devourer for the second time soon.

As for questions:

Generally fairly lax on LOS and generally pretty ok on the measurements. Gaming mistakes need to be corrected ASAP. It's considered good form to let your opponent know that they haven't moved or shot a unit that might want to.

The GTs make for a great weekend. Surprisingly hard work, I'm normally exhausted afterwards. Best thing is it makes slackers like me get my army painted.

All been 1500 for 40K and 2000 for fantasy. Played about 20 proper 40k tournaments (in the sense of paid for ticket type events).

40K is usually the most laid back of the two I play. From speaking to friends MTG and Warmachine are a lot more hardcore.

Eldoriath
05-03-2009, 23:25
For me a tournament is just a place where i play at 5 (more or less) randomly chosen people that in the end should match my skills somewhat. Have made good placement with my tau in 4th ed and even managed to win one. But i dunno, now that i've won one i don't really care anymore how good i do, though i find it as a perk if i can be among the top half rather then the bottom one ;)

EVIL INC
05-03-2009, 23:36

I play the same way I do in pickup games. I am a good sport and am not that picky unless the opponant is obviously bending/breaking the rules for an advantage.
I dont get into the "big official" ones because I doubt I would enjoy the atmosphere. I do enjoy playing in small local ones when I can.
I have played in many and they were not all that large. They ranged from 8 players to 20.
Dont really do any tournaments for other games.

the1stpip
05-03-2009, 23:51

1) Probably, at my club, I am much more likely to let things fly. At a tournament, while I would not be picky, I would be much more careful about what I am doing.

2) Yes

3) Half a dozen or so. None of them were GT-type, and all were 1500 pts.

4) Warhammer and Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Veloxnex
06-03-2009, 00:05
1)Do you change your standards of behaviour in a tournament? By which I mean are you more or less forgiving of mistakes, close measurements and LOS issues?

less forgiving, i'm more competative at something i'm trying actively to do as well as i can in, within the confines of the rules ofc

2)Do you enjoy tournaments?

Yup, i'm madly competitive. love the chance to face players of high caliber and tough lists.

3)How many have you played in? And what sizes were they?

8 or 9. 1500 point 40k and 1 2000 pointer

4)Do you play in tournaments for other game systems? And how do you find they compare to 40K events?

WHFB too. similar but more tiring as the rules can be more complex and when you're being exact its tighter moving etc.

Kinsley
06-03-2009, 01:16
I general am less forgiving for movement fudging and measurements. I try not to get into arguments but if your a quarter of an inch out of charge well...that sucks but I don't feel like taking your stealers up the rear. I crack jokes and have fun just like in any game but I don't forget that i'm not at a tourney to lose.

I do very much. 3-4 guaranteed games, generally good people and usually some cool armies to look at! Plus maybe a prize at the end :D

I've played in about 20-25 anywhere from 10 people up to 50 people (soon to be 80)

Fantasy tourneys seem to be a little bit more uptight. But its a game where a quarter of an inch can mean bloodknights on the flank or no bloodknights on the flank (loljustkidding dance but hey)

All in all tournaments are great fun and there will always be jerks but that can happen even on a quite game night.

Pooky
06-03-2009, 01:31
I try to be as forgiving/ leanient as possible with other people. But the people who are jerks at tournaments will screw you over for it. I remember one time I allowed a guy an extra inch range shooting at me with his rapid firing Firewarriors (so he had 13" to fire). When it was my turn and I was 1/2 inch out of assault range he said no and told me to "suck it" :cries:

I tried for the life of me to enjoy tournaments but it's the jerks, as mentioned above, who ruin it. I love the whole meeting new people, seeing new armies and ideas on how to play and genereally being social. But when people spoil it it's no longer enjoyable :(

Tournament sizes were 1750 and 2000 points for 40k.

I only played 40k events. I am not competant enough to play WFB properly without having to go to the rulebook every phase of every turn ;)

Occulto
06-03-2009, 03:35

I probably change my gameplay more than worrying about others. For instance, I pay more attention to my own measuring than in friendly games.

Yup. I've played a couple of ********* over the years, but for the most part it's been a good run.

I also enjoy running them (and am doing so this weekend).

Probably about 20 or so I think. Points have ranged from 1200 to 2000. As for numbers? Anything up to around 70 players. Most probably in the 20-40 range though.

I've had to cut back on them in recent years due to a GF who doesn't appreciate me disappearing every long weekend. :D

Nope.

I've never played enough WHFB to be comfortable enough with the rules and I don't have either Warmachine or Flames of War armies. They're pretty much the only systems round me that have regular events.