PDA

View Full Version : Most Elite Armies

AmBlam
05-03-2009, 14:30
I've spent ages deliberating over what WHFB to do. I've decided I want to do a elitist army a bit like GK in 40K. What armies in Fantsy Battle are closest to this? Are there any armies like this?

I was thinking perhaps Brettonians. I know the armies a bit but thought it would be best to ask.

W0lf
05-03-2009, 14:44
Brets suprisingly dont fit the bill imo. 20 pts is cheap for cavalry and Ws 3/4 with 1 attack dosnt scream elite to me.

Id say ether;

High elves. 15 pt ASF models? Elite enough for you?

Warriors of chaos. Characters that can easily hit 400 pts, basic warriors are like 16 pts per model? Chosen can be as much as 21.

So ether a HE army with plenty of swordmasters or warrior heavy chaos.

The HE are far more competitive so win imo.

The Red Scourge
05-03-2009, 15:19
Wood Elves are a very elite army. Yet not in the way that some models are ultimately superior, but more in the way that the army fights as one unified entity, but combined they can take on anything. Anything can be sacrificed and nothings invaluable, so no one unit will be crucial for success unlike armies like WoC where you have sacrificial units and heavy hitters :)

nosferatu1001
05-03-2009, 15:46
Agreed - WE are elite in that, much like 40k eldar, you need a combined arms approach to win, and they are even more fragile than eldar!

WoC are the most elite, if you take pure warriors, as each one is GK equiv for fantasy - WS5 / 6, 2 attacks, high S and T, can be blessed by gods i.e. terminator like ward saves etc. They are however probably less competitive, even with knight heavy armies as they hate fear causers (low initial Ld unless you use Sigvald or Archaon)

Infectum
05-03-2009, 15:54
I would have to say the most similar to GK in fantasy is Ogres. They are the highest cost, and you will have a similar model count.

selone
05-03-2009, 16:08
Do GK's win games?

Max_Killfactor
05-03-2009, 16:46
Do GK's win games?

I hear it is very hard to. Which means Ogres might be the closest match ;)

I think Chaos or High Elves are probably the closest to GK.

selone
05-03-2009, 17:02
You stole my joke :(

Stuffburger
05-03-2009, 21:10
High elves are definitely the most traditionally "elite" army- all their stuff is expensive, fast, hits very hard and is relatively fragile. Warriors are elite as well but without marauders and the beasts of various sorts your troop selections start looking thin.

If you don't mind slow dwarves can field a great elite infantry force- just with no cavalry support. LM would work if you don't mind various dinosaurs backing up your saurus and saurus cav.

W0lf
05-03-2009, 22:00
Ok i ask this; what unit screams elite warriors more then high elves swordmasters?

Exactly ;P

Disciple of Caliban
05-03-2009, 22:02
^^ Pheonix guard, better models to :)

W0lf
05-03-2009, 22:12
1 S4 attack is elite? Because alot of horses hit harder then that (2S4 or S4 hatred etc)

Ixquic
05-03-2009, 22:22
Phoenix Guard will crush Swordmasters everytime.

Disciple of Caliban
05-03-2009, 22:32
1 S4 attack is elite? Because alot of horses hit harder then that (2S4 or S4 hatred etc)
T3 and 5+ save is elite? empire swordsman can get better than a 5+ save!!

Its all subjective of course, and very much depends on personal preference and how an individual defines 'elite'. I favour pheonix guard (and indeed white lions) over swordmasters, apparently you dont, strokes for folks and all that

Tae
06-03-2009, 00:39
Well my 2k WoC army consists of 3 units of 18 (warriors + characters) and 1 warshrine, so I'd have to go with them being somewhat elite :rolleyes:

ChaosVC
06-03-2009, 02:25
everyone said it, Woc or high elves, though you can also consider Dark elves, its an elite army that is slightly undercost.

Shield of Freedom
06-03-2009, 02:57
Bretonnia is still a good choice too. The earlier post that stated 20 points per model and WS3 isn't elite was only talking about the Knights Errant. Knights of the realm are more expensive and have a WS4 and Ld8 and remain Core. Grail Knights are awsome. W5, S4, A2, Immune to Psychology and 36 points a model! Although I admit that's a Rare choice.

Conotor
06-03-2009, 12:25
Eleat bretts are no fun. They are cooler with peasants.

Lizardmen and WoC are the 2 most eleat i can think of right now. High elves and dark elves are pretty eleat as well, but you will get frustrated against heavy shooting.

AmBlam
07-03-2009, 09:30
I would have to say the most similar to GK in fantasy is Ogres. They are the highest cost, and you will have a similar model count.

Yeah I guess the best way to say what I meant would be low model count.

I hear it is very hard to. Which means Ogres might be the closest match ;)

I think Chaos or High Elves are probably the closest to GK.

Yeah, I might do Ogres then.

everyone said it, Woc or high elves, though you can also consider Dark elves, its an elite army that is slightly undercost.

Eleat bretts are no fun. They are cooler with peasants.

Lizardmen and WoC are the 2 most eleat i can think of right now. High elves and dark elves are pretty eleat as well, but you will get frustrated against heavy shooting.

So my choices are Ogres, DE, HE and Bretts.

WOC are out of the question as I don't like what they have done with "Chaos Mortals" on either side of the WH fence. I think I like most all the WHFB armies for one reason or another. They all seem so different and characterful.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll start by looking at Ogres. If not them I'll go for Bretts or HE.

Just how difficult is it playing with Ogres? I want to win sometime I guess. Are they likly to get a new book or be booted any time soon?

W0lf
07-03-2009, 11:20
Best way to play ogres is the Skrag army or take MSU (3 or 4) units of ironguts and add hand weapon ogres. Then bait, flee, flank etc.

phoenixlaw
07-03-2009, 11:23
Daemons are pretty elite too.

W0lf
07-03-2009, 11:29
No daemons are just broken ;).

vinny t
07-03-2009, 18:20
I must say, ogres can be elite, or you can be like my brother, who has 93 models in his army and no unit above the minimum unit size, except lead belchers. If you want elite, go HE.

isidril93
07-03-2009, 18:46
T3 and 5+ save is elite? empire swordsman can get better than a 5+ save!!

thatswhy they are elite...cos with t3, 5+as they still kill stuff

Solasun
07-03-2009, 19:21
Daemons Ogres and Wood and High Elves strike me as "elite" in the low model count hard hitting difficult to win category.

Well Daemons admittedly have winning a bit easier but are expensive and killy.

The Red Scourge
08-03-2009, 11:47
Well, all the elven armies are very elite but only the wood elves are cool:cool:

Scelerat
08-03-2009, 15:43
Phoenix Guard will crush Swordmasters everytime.

...and the Black Guard wipes the floor with them both :P

Disciple of Caliban
08-03-2009, 21:06
^^ not without a character and banners etc. On their own black guard are damn good, but over the course of a game they wont do much to a unit of pheonix guard

Gaargod
08-03-2009, 21:17
When it comes down to it tho, you use Lions as an anvil unit with stupid stubborn, then flank with the small, killy killy swordmaster units to get MORE kills and watch the enemy run. ASF S6 from Lions and 2 WS6 S5 ASF from swordmasters wipes the floor with the Phoenix Guard, who are only any good with their ward save. If it wasn't for that, spear elves would be doing better :D

Ogres are pretty elite, but they are pretty bad too tbh. One bad round of combat can screw over an entire army (unless you're going with the Skrag route. Which is brutal)

soots
09-03-2009, 01:54
Easy answer: Chaos.

Back in the old days these guys rocked around the board with WS6 BS6 for an insane 24 points for standard chaos warrior without weaponry.

Anyone army surround these units, hardly anyone could beat them. Theyre still the elite imo.

I wanted to play them because you could have a well painted army really easily since you field hardly any models.

the_under_empire_clan
09-03-2009, 07:11
wood elfs most elite/cheap army in my opinion,but the player has to be good, i mean really good with them and they are the cheapest army. I played someone like this with my skaven army. I took the storm banner -2 to shooting i had to make my plague monks, the shields instead of slaves. Cause the monks dont run all of this and still, only three units got into base contact with him. Im pritty good with my skaven army but get a good wood elf army and they cut down daemons/vc and just about anything easily (except maybe brets)

havoc626
09-03-2009, 07:41
wood elfs most elite/cheap army in my opinion,but the player has to be good, i mean really good with them and they are the cheapest army. I played someone like this with my skaven army. I took the storm banner -2 to shooting i had to make my plague monks, the shields instead of slaves. Cause the monks dont run all of this and still, only three units got into base contact with him. Im pritty good with my skaven army but get a good wood elf army and they cut down daemons/vc and just about anything easily (except maybe brets)

And yet one of my friends complained that WE were outdated and couldn't stand against any army well. :rolleyes: Might have something to do with his thoughts that they are 'awsome' in CC...

I'd say WoC as the elitest army, simply because their standard troops have such a high statline and will destroy most other Core troops without losing a model. WS5, S4, T4 models with a base 4+save, and can be given shields (or GW for S6), and can have chaos marks, along with A2 each? I think we have a winner.

Now, just to sound like an idiot, I've seen it several times, but have never been able to work out what it stands for. What does MSU mean?

teafloy_the_damned
09-03-2009, 08:02
Dont forget about High elf spearmen. Being able to fight in ranks of 3 at 9 points and always hitting first. There only strenght 3 but a good unit normally get 18 attacks!

Solasun
09-03-2009, 14:34
MSU - Multiple Small Units

The Red Scourge
09-03-2009, 16:11
...Might have something to do with his thoughts that they are 'awsome' in CC...

They are! Its the one place to be for a wood elf on a battle field as long as you have stacked the cards in your favor and wood elves always stack the cards ;)