PDA

View Full Version : I tip my hat off to anyone with a fully painted army

Wolf 11x
05-03-2009, 17:25
I have painted no less than 4 40k armies. Marines, Death Guard, Tau, and finally Nids (in that order). I have since sold the Marines, and the Death Guard look pretty awful. However, each army has become subsequently better and I'm very proud of my Tau and Tyranids.

I've had Lizards since I was 13ish (about 7 years now) and I've never gotten around to painting them until this week. I am excited about the new Codex and decided to give it a go.

With that said, each Saurus takes me roughly 30 minutes. I've finished 10 since I started Sunday. I do think they look good; they are definitely my best so far. I'm very excited to see the army fully painted and I'm fully dedicated at this point.

However, my Nids look great after simple red primer, black scales, bleached bone here and there, and chestnut ink. I've literally painted 16 Gaunts and 2 Zoanthropes in a day.

*sigh*

Anyone else notice this? 40k, especially Tyranids, has little to no detail in comparison to Fantasy. Why does every single Lizard need to wear some sort of bracelet / anklet? Why are their shields ornamented and their weapons so intricate? Argh. Teeth & eyes are never easy either.

Toomanymind
05-03-2009, 17:34
40k stuff have teeth and eyes too right? :confused:

Hehe, I just finished my night gobbos, tiny little fellers and I have about 100 of them. :eek: (Gotta love the belts and fingernails, those are the funnest parts!)

Disciple of Caliban
05-03-2009, 17:46
Yeah, fantasy figures can be a bit rough, though some 40k armies arent easy to paint either (i've a biel tan Eldar list, almost every model in the force has jewels on its armour!).

I think a big part of the difference comes from the armies, rather than individual models. In 40k its quite normal for an army to be 50 models or less, and even Orks and Nids rarely reach the 200 model mark. In fantasy however, because of the facts units are generally bigger, and the commonly used point total is higher (40k is usually around 1500pts, fantasy generally 2000) your average fantasy army will be much larger.

I'm currently working on a very elite HE army, and even at 1000pts that includes almost 50 models, thats a lot of painting time, even if you just keep it basic

Malorian
05-03-2009, 17:48
I'm really not looking forward to painting my dwarfs :(

galenus
05-03-2009, 17:55
I think in 5 years I've painted 5 models to completion, and 3 are unfinished.

Someone please break my habit of assembling models then playing video games when it comes time to paint them...especially since I have 5k Chaos, 4k Dwarfs, and working on 3k Empire...

And Republican Romans for FOG, Celts for FOG, Seleucids for WMA...

Foegnasher
05-03-2009, 17:55
I have almost 600 painted skaven.

took me FOREVER.

but it's done now, and the 90 model Lizardman army i want to do looks like a cakewalk.

+ now i get to paint scales and not fur!

fastcarfreak
05-03-2009, 18:04
I have sort of army ADD. I start painting every army I have, but I never finish them. All my armies are only partially painted. The only exception is my skaven, which if I wanted, I could make a perfectly playable army out of my painted minis, but then again, none of my models in my skaven have painted bases.

Desert Rain
05-03-2009, 18:22
I have about 2000 points of painted lizardmen and around 1200 points of painted High Elves. For my High Elves, the army I'm working on at the moment, I will have to paint at least another 40 models before they are finished.
My biggest problem is that I usually find it to be very boring, with some exceptions, and that I paint very slow. It took me about 10 hours to paint a regiment of 10 Archers for my High Elves.

Keller
05-03-2009, 18:46
My first army, Empire is mostly painted. I have a few units and a bunch of character models that never got finished, but by and large, its done. I have 4 large units of State Troops, 4 large units of militia (from my miltitia themed army) 25+ Flagallants, a slew of arty and a few odds and ends. I need to do my knights, pistoliers, Griffon, and add in some Outriders and a second unit of knights.

My VC army is probably 3/4 done, with all of my core units having been done. I still need to do my Wights, monsters, Coach and now I need to put a bunch of ghouls for the 7th edition VC army.

My Ogres, my latest army started with their release a few years ago, are probably 50% painted. All of my core units, with the exception of gnoblars, are done. I still need to do my characters, Giants, and maneatres. I doubt I will ever get around to the 50+ gnoblars, though. I'd like ot add a Srap Launcher at some point, but its not very high on my list of things to do.

For some reason, characters are always the last thing I paint for an army. I guess I like to keep using different set ups, so I have little desire to sit and get the models I use least often done.

MarcoPollo
05-03-2009, 18:51
I
With that said, each Saurus takes me roughly 30 minutes. I've finished 10 since I started Sunday.

Gotta learn to use the "assembly line" so that you are still working while the paint dries on the rest.

Turns out that on average a unit 12 saurus can take me about 5 hrs. A little bit better than 30 min each.

Plus there are alot of tricks to speed up your work. Like dry brushing and using inks to create shadows. Each of my regular models has:

1) grey primer
2) 3 layers of highlights (+1 layer for centerpieces)
3) ink wash
4) 2 more layers of highlights (+1 more layer for centerpieces)
5)4 stage base with rocks, bushes and 2 layers of different flock.

They've won awards.

Now I am working on plaques and showcases for the units now. I am using varathane.

Toomanymind
05-03-2009, 18:57
Gotta learn to use the "assembly line" so that you are still working while the paint dries on the rest.

Turns out that on average a unit 12 saurus can take me about 5 hrs. A little bit better than 30 min each.

Plus there are alot of tricks to speed up your work. Like dry brushing and using inks to create shadows. Each of my regular models has:

1) grey primer
2) 3 layers of highlights (+1 layer for centerpieces)
3) ink wash
4) 2 more layers of highlights (+1 more layer for centerpieces)
5)4 stage base with rocks, bushes and 2 layers of different flock.

They've won awards.

Now I am working on plaques and showcases for the units now. I am using varathane.

Yea, but assembly line is the boring. :cries:

Plus I find I don't detail as well when I do it...:(

sigur
05-03-2009, 18:58

I absolutely agree. don't paint single miniatures, paint units. It doesn't go much faster but at least a bit. Working out "recipes" for how to paint what helps much. When painting an army, work out how to paint certain recurring things like pouches, armour, armlets, everything. Then you don't have to think while painting and just work properly. Good luck!

Nuada
05-03-2009, 19:04
I completely sympathise with you, i hated painting my Orcs. I started in sept '06, finished them in jan '08 (but i also did 4 LotR and WE) I haven't been near a paint brush since.

Takes ages. Best advice is get a "painting buddy", get the coffee on, and crank the music up.

Stuffburger
05-03-2009, 20:55
I do a compromise between full units and single models. I grab 4-5 of whatever (orcs, say) and do them all as a batch. If you have some time (like ~4 hours) you get them all done, based and completely game ready all in one go. Slower overall, but much more satisfying to me than basecoating 40 spearmen codpieces or whatever.

Ancre
05-03-2009, 21:13
I have a bunch of saurus from long ago (4 years or so) a bigger bunch of skinks, a few skinks hero (one I will have to convert in a mage) a skink priest and a kroxigor. Painted only a few of them. But back then I was another annoying little kid (not interested in Archaon though) !

I will put myself to paint them and play them, especially with the new lizzie army book out. I will ! But right now I just don't have the space to ...

I do wish you good luck with your painting job though, I am as slow as you and it can get irritating in the end !

Kodamas
05-03-2009, 21:36
I'm running the 5 model batch painting method to paint all my stuff from now on (except characters) I find that I get bored painting the same thing over and over again.

So I have devised a plan that I will only paint 5 models of one troop type ad them move onto another 5 from another and so on. Mixing it up with a character once you rech 20 models as a reward.

Disclaimer: For horde armies this may not work too well.

souljaking09
05-03-2009, 21:42
Nids don't wear bracelets or belts. get guardsmen. they have got plenty of detail.

Foegnasher
05-03-2009, 21:53
I'm running the 5 model batch painting method to paint all my stuff from now on (except characters) I find that I get bored painting the same thing over and over again.

So I have devised a plan that I will only paint 5 models of one troop type ad them move onto another 5 from another and so on. Mixing it up with a character once you rech 20 models as a reward.

Disclaimer: For horde armies this may not work too well.

it's how i did my skaven. do a unit of clanrats, then you get to paint a warmachine, do a unit of clanrats, then do skirmishers, do a unit of slaves, get to paint some ogres....etc etc etc.

Wolf 11x
05-03-2009, 22:28

I do 2 or 3 at a time at most. Otherwise, almost no details get painted and mishaps don't get touched up.

I'm enjoying myself. I'm just shocked that in an hour and a half I'll finish like 3 guys. Surfing the forums and music helps a lot though. :D I'm sure it adds more time...

mrtn
05-03-2009, 22:49

Disclaimer: For horde armies this may not work too well.I do it like that too. I jump between a couple of armies as well, so I have quite some options, so I can paint what I feel like. At the moment I'm in a skaven phase, but I get back to my chaos from time to time.

ewar
05-03-2009, 22:55
As I've got older I paint in bigger and bigger batches. The new lizard army I'm starting next week will be painted as follows:
24 skinks
20 saurus
24 skinks
20 saurus
20 TG
Slann
Steg

Thats the plan anyway. I love it when you paint in a batch, and it feels like its taking forwever, and then suddenly they're done, based and look amazing. They go from WIP to finished in an hour or two. Take some pics to email to my gaming friends. Job done!

Braad
05-03-2009, 22:57
It used to take me like 4 hours to paint a single orc boy. I pressed that down to something like 3 or 3,5 by batch painting and improved techniques, but I don't see it becoming much less...

Got 8000 points worth of all kinds of greenskins painted up, took me 4 years and 9 months up to now. I can't say I got a fully painted army though, as it still needs to grow a lot... But the lists I play are always fully painted.

I'm always a bit surprised by people who can count painting time on models in minutes instead of hours. Gives me the feeling that at least one of us is doing something wrong, and I don't know which one...

On the other hand, I'm never bored, and I like painting, so that's cool.

moose
05-03-2009, 22:58
In the last two days, i've painted 112 clanrats! now that's hardcore!

Well I just need to highlight the models but they're all playable :D.

Foegnasher
05-03-2009, 23:35
In the last two days, i've painted 112 clanrats! now that's hardcore!

Well I just need to highlight the models but they're all playable :D.

well done.

asprin for the handcramps?

Peegore
05-03-2009, 23:52
As Ewar said, i too tend to paint a whole unit at once nowadays. Right down to it's movement tray. And I have to try ( really hard ) not to spend too much time on each model.

Keep the colour pallet simple ( usually 1 metallic, 3-4 colours and single wash colour that can be applied to most of the model, which also usually helps unify the whole ) This helps speed thing up no end. My current WoC army is Slaanesh inspired in it's colour scheme. I chose Brazen Brass, Hormagaunt Purple, Warlock Purple, Fensris Grey and Deneb Stone as the base colours and Purple Wash. The unified look so far is very pleasing... especially purple wash over Brazen brass.

But I also have the ADD disorder mentioned earlier, where I'll stat 'test painting' other models in the army and if not careful end up with several base coated and washed units with no highlights...

But I do love playing with a fully painted army, and usually aim to get 1000pts done so I can start using them in 2 player vs 2 player games or small one on one battles, adding 500pts a time thereafter until I get together around 2500pts. Then I decide if I'll continue adding more variety, or start something new ( usually the latter :( )

Same seems to go for my gaming group. Usually all painted armies on the table ( see my website link... you wont find any unpainted armies in any batrep there )

Nabeshin1106
06-03-2009, 00:07
I like to paint in batches of rank and file models and then treat myself to a bigger/ more detailed model.

For example, while painting my Slaaneshi Daemons I would paint 5-10 Daemonettes, then a Fiend, then more Daemonettes, then some Seekers, etc.

I can't do this with my all cav Warriors, though, so I end up switching up my units. 5 Knights, then 5 Marauder Horsemen, then 5 Warhounds, then 5 Knights, etc.

ashc
06-03-2009, 00:19
I have completed A 1500pt. 40k Iron Warriors army and also have built painted and sold 2000pt. Dwarf, Dark Elf, and High Elf armies in the last year and a half, i suppose i enjoy painting and modelling (as a relaxation thing) more than actually playing the game, and i would rather think that the models then go to a good home and use than sit packed away if i had still kept them. Saying that, I now have a plague marine army to paint for 40k as an army i have always wanted to do and would actually consider picking up a few games to play, and I am really tempted to put together a vamps or WOC force for fantasy because of the fantastic new models, c'est la vie!

Ash

The Red Scourge
06-03-2009, 00:26
Do one base colour to a unit. Then the next and the next..

Do highlights, shades one colour at a time, and then you'll end up with a full unit fast, as you'll see a lot of progress compared to just doing one mini at a time :)

Also consider armypainter to provide quick results with good effect :)

jason
06-03-2009, 01:42
I'm always a bit surprised by people who can count painting time on models in minutes instead of hours.

LOL! Seconded.

ChaosVC
06-03-2009, 02:03
Well I used to take 3 hrs to finish one model regardless of what kind of models, even skeleton took me that long when I first started. But now I can finish painting 5 models in around 6 hrs. One thing I find about painting is not rush them or they will not look good enough for you.

Currently I have 2500++ of painted High elves, Daemons and VC and about 3000++ Chaos warriors and 2250 dark elves painted. Though I have yet to start my empire and chaos space marines, but when I have the time after I finish my chaos space marines, I am going to repaint my entire Dark elf army as they were painted not to my satisfaction while I am still learning to paint.

MarcoPollo
06-03-2009, 05:03
If I am painting rank and file, then it is assembly line all the way. If you use the same paint recipes then you don't wind up with inconsistencies in the unit. Like why are the first 10 spearmen painted with dark blue and the others are painted with baby blue.

But I understand that large units can be boring. You got that right. So I try to do say half a unit and one center piece then the other half unit and another center piece.

agent032125
06-03-2009, 05:13
I think we have opposite problems.

At last count I've painted about 800 miniatures over seven years. The Empire was my first army at around 200 models, but I'll paint anything that sits still for too long. My rank and file troops take an hour each (at least) Trouble is, I don't really like playing Warhammer. :eyebrows:

snurl
06-03-2009, 06:54
Painting takes time, effort, and commitment.

The Clairvoyant
06-03-2009, 07:57
My vampire army is fully painted (of the stuff i'm likely to use) with the exception of the blood knights and 2 boxes of ghouls i bought recently. My whole vampire army is in the region of 10k points. But then i've been playing undead since 4th edition so i've had plenty of time to paint!
My Tomb King army (about 5 or 6k) is 95% fully painted apart (an unpainted bone giant and a couple of chariots) and then there is the box of sprues in the loft which has lots more skellies in. As i'm not needing them at the mo, they're staying unbuilt and unpainted.

At the moment i'm concentrating on my 40k orks having just gotten back into 40k. And i've made a conscious decision to not buy any more orks until i've painted what i have. Its going fairly well at the moment. I don't expect it to last!

Fitzbaron
06-03-2009, 08:28
For me painting and finishing an army is typically in responce to a tournement I have coming up. Most of the time I have no idea what I am taking till about a month before the tournement, so I book myself a week before hand to paint the whole job lot once I figure on the build I am taking.

This way over the past couple of years, I have finished 2k of Dwarves, 2k of Daemons of Chaos and 3k of Orcs. Total time spent 4 weeks.

enyoss
06-03-2009, 08:59
With that said, each Saurus takes me roughly 30 minutes.

Consider yourself lucky, it usually takes me 4 hours or so a model. Even then they still look terrible :(.

I have not one ounce of artistic talent.

Alathir
06-03-2009, 09:00
I'm doing an assembly line painting of 34 spearmen at the moment... its actually surprisingly fast!

But yeah, you really shouldn't be spending 30 minutes on a rank and file trooper (unless you want to of course) but it will take FOREVER. Assembly line all the way.

Aurellis
06-03-2009, 09:17
All my armies are fully painted except for my new Hydra, which is something I am extremely proud of as it's all painted to a rather high level. See my sig for what i've got.

Lord Khabal
06-03-2009, 09:33
Its funny! I once counted the time I took to paint a witch elf and it took aproximatelly 4 hours each... So I'm there with enyoss!!!

Commodus Leitdorf
06-03-2009, 11:23
batch painting is the way to go. If you find yourself being bored or pressed for time (like me) just do big batches (im doing 10 at a time now) and simply do one colour in one sitting on the batch. Then put down your brush and your done...then next time do another colour. Over and over till your done, then reward yourself with a fun Character or Warmahcine....then another batch of 10.

As one of my friends in my gaming group mentioned "getting an army done can take years, so dont feel bad about not having everything fully painted right away".

Thats how I got my 150+ model Empire army done, and its how im getting my current army (Chaos Dwarfs) done as well....now excuse me...massive batch of 25 Hobgoblins to do!:D

Quetzl
06-03-2009, 11:40
I completely sympathise with you, i hated painting my Orcs. I started in sept '06, finished them in jan '08 (but i also did 4 LotR and WE) I haven't been near a paint brush since.

Takes ages. Best advice is get a "painting buddy", get the coffee on, and crank the music up.

I'll drink to that, Cheers :)

Reflex
06-03-2009, 12:28
ive painted, stripped and re painted one of my empire (Bogenhafen) army cannons about 7-9 times because i cant get the brass cannon look right... yet it took me 1 go to be happy with the iraqui sand finish of Bogenhafen colours. odd.

as a side note.. why bogenhafen? cuz im a bogan. : D

Wolf 11x
06-03-2009, 16:18
+Update+

10 models are fully painted, flocked, and now have magnets under their bases. I'll varnish them once all 20 are done.

3 more are fully painted and need flock / magnets.

I plan on doing 2 more tonight and finishing the other 5 over Saturday / Sunday.

What should I paint next? Skinks? Temple Guard?

Foegnasher
06-03-2009, 17:05
+Update+

10 models are fully painted, flocked, and now have magnets under their bases. I'll varnish them once all 20 are done.

3 more are fully painted and need flock / magnets.

I plan on doing 2 more tonight and finishing the other 5 over Saturday / Sunday.

What should I paint next? Skinks? Temple Guard?

skinks. get lotsa practice before you hit that centerpiece unit, young padawan.

MarcoPollo
06-03-2009, 18:10
What I find gives the biggest value to a paint job is the work done on the base. Often times I see good paint jobs with minimal base and it takes away from the potential that the model can have. For me I have atleast 4 stages to basing my models. And even though I am not a great painter, I do win awards because to the work put into my bases.

Secondly, and I think the most important aspect to painting is black-lining my paint job. I mean going around where colors touch or natural breaks occur in the model and using a black line to separate the colors or shading. Not just a black ink wash, but that helps, but a dark black line. This is the longest step in my painting schemes and it allows me to be speedy in all the other steps. I can be a little sloppy in places, but by using the black line technique I can cover up the imperfections well.

Check out my latest awards here (http://www.u2kr.com/galleryMarkGirrard.shtml?MarkGirrard01)

Asp
06-03-2009, 18:36
play mordheim and you can really go to town on your 15 models

Sheena Easton
06-03-2009, 18:39
I have never managed to have a fully painted army, as I'm always adding something to it - the closest I got was with my old NG army based round the alliance between Skarsnik and Gorfang Rotgut which only had a handfullof plastic NG Arrer Boyz unpainted when I abandoned it in favour of one centered round Azhag (which would have been finished aside from those Night Goblins, a similar number of regular Gobbo Spearmen, an Orc Big Boss, an Orc Shaman and needed several more Big ' Uns).

My old HE army could technically be called "fully painted" as (apart from an old Seaguard Command Group that didn't fit into the army and were bought in a bag of 10 random blisters for a tenner sale) every model is painted and together they made a 2000 point army with several spare characters. Though I didn't like using it and was planning on getting rid of a couple of units and replacing them with other ones when I abandoned it and have since got rid.

SuperArchMegalon
06-03-2009, 19:28
I like doing 10 at a time. I play Dwarfs so I can either make half a unit or infantry or a whole unit of missile troops all at once. Each model takes me between 45 minutes to an hour, average, though! Takes forever.

ScalySkin
06-03-2009, 21:08
I find painting the models is half the fun! I am never in a hurry to paint my armies, I just sit down and paint, I find it quite relaxing. I also really enjoy seeing the finished models. I don't usually keep track of time, but 30 minutes per saurus sounds about right. Of course sometimes you can get carried away and spend over 4 hours painting a stegadon :)

agent032125
07-03-2009, 05:23
play mordheim and you can really go to town on your 15 models

I love Mordheim at least partially for this reason. I must have over a dozen warbands painted; it's just enough to build a theme but not so much that tedium sets in. I can't imagine the horror of painting 300+ Skaven for a fantasy army.

Finnigan2004
07-03-2009, 16:01
And even though I am not a great painter, I do win awards because to the work put into my bases.

here (http://www.u2kr.com/galleryMarkGirrard.shtml?MarkGirrard01)

If that's the giant that I saw at West Coast Mayhem a couple of years ago, you're way too modest about your painting skills. Thanks for the lining in tip. I never noticed until I looked at your models closer, but I think I'll try that on my latest army.

Lugburz
08-03-2009, 15:43
Back in the fifth edition I played Lizardmen, and that army looks HORRIBLE. I was 12-13 year old, every saurus and skink was in different colors, and painted really ugly. I was so bored by painting that I even created a terminator-saurus (this model is a classic now!).
After not being able to paint anymore Lizardmen, I started collecting Orcs and Goblins, but after painting a unit of Orcs, I got so sick and tired for all the green skin, that I sold the whole army.

With the arrival 6h edition Lizardmen, there was now a lot of new skinks and sauruses to paint. This time in more "correct" colors (green).

I then startet collecting Skaven, I got at least 4000 points, and maybe 3/4 painted. After some years I suddenly wanted to give the greenskins another chance, and even tho I still remember that sickening feeling last time I painted orcs, I this time wanted an Night Goblin Army, supported by squigs, warmachines, pump wagons and Trolls.
I love this army, because this is my "funny" army, where I can convert wacky stuff. Still It's only about 3/5 finished....

Daemons then became my army, But it's only half painted.... And just to make things worse I now have to renew my Lizardmen army AGAIN.... And the worse thing is that I'm so tired of the green Lizards, than I'm gonna repaint them Astronomican Gray, and use a blue wash over them to get a grayish blue color....

I'm gonna start cry if I have to replace all of my clanrats when the new Skaven arrives :p

I'm never gonna field a fully painted army.....

My plan is to put all my money in a closed bank account so that I can't afford anything but food, rent and painting minis. That should do it!

Neckutter
08-03-2009, 15:55
marines are SO easy to paint compared to anything in fantasy. its almost silly! :)

but yeah, it takes me about an hour after they are finished priming to do rank n file guys.

i do them in groups of 5-10 at a time though, because i think it speeds it up. kinda like mass production style.

Angelwing
08-03-2009, 16:56
And I accept your tip of the hat. Thanks!

I do feel the pain though of having scores of miniatures to paint. You need to break it down into manageable chunks and batch paint. Spend less time on rank and file and spend more effort on characters and command models.
You can leave a few details from rank models, for example leave pouches the same colour as clothing. I agree that it won't look as good, but it won't really be noticeable in a ranked up unit and you can always come back and do them later.

Good luck!

Tohellweride
08-03-2009, 16:58
Its taken me since me around 2 years but i have finally finished 2000pts of beasts. A buddy of mine and myself have always got together to sit and paint but we used to easily get distracted and basically achieved nothing. Then we started putting on the various warhammer related pod casts in the back ground while we painted instead of music. Its worked a treat as we dont get distracted as to what album to listen to next and we tend to keep painting even after they finish as we discuss what was said on them. Has worked a treat for me so i would reccomend it to anyone. :)

ashc
08-03-2009, 17:00
I work by batch painting; usually a squad/unit then something special (character, vehicle, big monster etc.) rinse, repeat. Mixes things up a little bit.

Cherub
08-03-2009, 18:12
I airbrush as much as I can. Doesnt take that long to paint armies. My wife for some reason decided to repaint my orc army the week before a major tourny....by hand. Some how she got 200+ minis painted and based in less than a week. Its all about how much you focus on them and the ease of your color scheme. On the other side of the coin a buddy of mine spends 25+ hours a piece on a single marine for his army. Its taking him forever but his army is amazing.

BilboBaggins
08-03-2009, 19:00
I have 4 painted Fantasy armies and 8 painted Lord of the Rings armies at various point levels. I only play then when they are painted.

Fatasy:
Empire - 3500
Chaos Dwarf - 3000
Dwarf - 2000
Slayer Army of Karak Kadrin - 2500

Lord of the Rings
Dwarves - 600
Gondor - 800
Hobbits - 500
Rohan - 800
Elves - 750
Mordor - over 2000
Isengard - 750
Moria - 700

I also have a bunch of unpaint models but I don't use them in games until they are painted.

3000 Dwarf
3000 Empire
750 Tyranids
500 Space Marines
500 LOTR Wood Elves

Laser guided fanatic
08-03-2009, 19:03
I finished painting my 2000 pt UM force tonight, i've been working on it since last september and now i've got orkz and IG sitting on my desk yay!

O well i'll buy myself a baneblade when the orkz and Ig are finished plus a valkyrie

Wolf 11x
08-03-2009, 22:12
+Update+

First unit complete! 20 Saurus fully painted, 10 of which are flocked / magnetized. I'll base the other 10 tonight, and magnetize them as well as their movement tray.

I have 10 Skinks primed and I think I'll begin them tonight. I'm glad I hung onto those cans of Goblin Green.

zak
08-03-2009, 23:34
I have 5 fully painted armies for fantasy and several part painted armies. I prefer painting to gaming and spend atleast an hour or two a day painting. However, I paint slow and can't miss out little bits of detail so I need to paint often. The really annoying part is when GW release new models and you buy these knowing that you are replacing old models rather than painting the other armies that are just sitting there!

Wolf 11x
09-03-2009, 01:58
I need a color suggestion for my Stegadon. My skin color is Goblin Green with Dark Angels green scales. I use Bestial Brown on weapon hafts & the shields, bone for the teeth / skulls, and gold for any metal (obsinite?).

That is the scheme for my Saurus / Skinks / Temple Guard.

My Salamanders will be red.

What should my Stegadons & Cold Ones be?

WhiteKnight
09-03-2009, 04:54
I have 3 fully painted armies that all have significant detail on models. I have fully painted High Elves using like 7 different colors and 1 wash for skin. That's about 4.5k for high elves. I have 2250 BOC with all of their little necklaces, skulls, fur, and what not. Started them last september, finished them january. My guardsmen were finished today and I started them in january and thats like 1250 points. I get a lot of respect for my armies being fully painted. And skaven, tomb kings, necrons, and smurf marines aren't that hard to paint when using the spray gun. My friend just did the following steps for his skaven. Primer, Base coat, detail, done. Same for my friend who plays TK.

Chicago Slim
09-03-2009, 12:13
I'm a 5-at-a-time man, mostly (sometimes I'll go 10 at a time, or whatever)... in any case, I think that Jervis' Standard Bearer article a couple of months ago hit on it perfectly: people with painted armies are people who make painting part of a routine. I have a TV dinner tray, which lives in my untidy office, that I can bring out and paint while watching TV or movies with my wife-- sitting on the couch, painting and "watching" TV...

I currently have 2 completely painted armies (3000 points of Beastmen and 6000 points of High Elves), and three half-painted armies (8000 points of greenskins, of which about 5000 are painted now, plus 1000 points of WoC who used to be part of my Beastmen, and 5000 points of Wood Elves, with about 3000 painted). But, that's 13 years of work...

I've always spent about 20-30 minutes per infantry model. These days, if I'm really cranking on cheap infantry and don't care as much about them, I can get it down under 15 minutes per model, and still be satisfied with the quality (my "quick and horrible" these days is still rather better-looking than my "agonized over it" from 10 years ago...)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
09-03-2009, 20:07
I should have a painted army but I keep switching from units and models. Maybe one of the reasons that I ended up with 20k of greenskins.

Greetz
G