PDA

View Full Version : Grimgors little Waaagh!

captain malachi
05-03-2009, 18:59
Ok, 2000 points little anyway, with quite a few bodies on the ground.

Lords:
Grimgor Ironhide, 375. (Who else?)

Heroes:
Black orc big boss, battle standard bearer, morks spirit totem, 170.
Night goblin shaman, level 2, 2 dispel scrolls, 135.

Core:
24 orc boys, 120. (The battle standard bearer goes in here)
25 orc boys w/ shields, 150.
30 orc boys w/ shields, 180.
39 night goblins, 117. (One of the shamans goes in here)
39 night goblins, 117. (The other shaman goes in here)
10 goblin wolf riders, 120.
10 goblin wolf riders, 120.

Special:
19 black orcs w/shields (See if you can guess who goes in here )

Ok, it actually works out to 2005, which is a little annoying as it means I have some annoying maths to do. I had done on the maths wrong on the largest orc mob, I thought it was 175 not 180. Anyway, general thoughts on the list and suggestions on how to get it back down to 2k?

Nuada
05-03-2009, 19:07
Give a Night Gobbo shaman two mushroom to replace one of his dispel scrolls, exactly 5 points off :D

Tactically I think it's very risky taking Grimgore in a small O&G army, he'll attract alot of war machines/missile fire. I use O&G, but i've never taken Grimgore so my advice could be worthless. I find it risky putting shamans in units, 1 in 6 chance they can't cast because of squabbling. Not sure you can do anything about it with this army, but i get around it by having a shaman in the same unit as a black orc character.

I'd split your wolf riders into 4 units, that way if your opponent kills one you no longer need to test for animosity. With a unit of 5 your opponent needs to kill 2 for a 25% panic test. With a unit of 10 he needs to kill 3, so it's not as cost effective. I always upgrade my wolf riders with spears for a str4 charge, but it's your call.

Maybe put your BSB in the bigger orc boy unit, to make sure you retain 3 dispel dice for as long as possible. On a positive note i like all your big orc units :D and those fast cav units should work well in conjunction with them. I haven't added your army, but i assume you've got a full command in your orc boyz units?

...but this all just my opinion remember....give it a go, and see what works best for you.
Hope that helps :)

Malorian
05-03-2009, 19:32
Quite a few bodies but a few things missing:

-No banners on big blocks?
-An orc block with nothing?
-Large night goblins with nothing?

Your idea is fine, all you have to do is fix up your core. I'd turn this:

24 orc boys, 120
25 orc boys w/ shields, 150
30 orc boys w/ shields, 180
39 night goblins, 117
39 night goblins, 117
10 goblin wolf riders, 120
10 goblin wolf riders, 120

Into this:

25 orc boys w/ shields, banner 160
20 night goblins (archers) 60 *bunker for shamans*
32 night goblins w/ netters, banner 139
5 goblin wolf riders, 60
5 goblin wolf riders, 60
5 goblin wolf riders, 60
5 goblin wolf riders, 60

Note this also saves 5 points which fixes your other problem ;)

Dragon Prince of Caledor
05-03-2009, 22:18
awesome grimgore is a beast

Magx
06-03-2009, 02:51
I tried him in a game, and he really is very amazing... put him and his unit in front of the ranks (so they don't get stuck with others having animosity but not in front of another unit (IF they flee but at LD 9, they should not flee.)

warlord hack'a
06-03-2009, 10:55
intersting list, but any sensible opponent will aim every warmachine, bow, gun and magic spell in the direction of your black orc unit, or just block it with an annoying fast cav unit or worthless diverter. But the orc blocks are also not to be sneezed at so the enemy needs to be sure that when he charges he breaks you or next roudn gromgor will be in his flank and nobody wants grimgor in their flank..

Still, warmachines will hurt, but the Bo unit is not going to panic due to being ItP. However, they also hate everyone, easy rule to abuse with a diverting unit.

In short, the Bo unit with Grimgor rocks, but it is a bit of all eggs in one basket approach..

captain malachi
06-03-2009, 15:04
Like you said, if they focus on the black ors, my other units come and smash some 'eads in. ;) I'll probably add more black orc units in when I go up to 3k, and maybe some proper cavalry, but thats neither here nor there. I agree on the fact that war machines will hurt (it's a shame my main opponent plays dwarfs), but hopefully he won't be able to kill enough of them, and I might be able to take them out with good use of the wolf riders.

@Malorian: Good advice, and it's probably better if I do use some archers since at least I have the models for that.

BigbyWolf
06-03-2009, 17:16
Grimgor is effective...just be aware that armies with high M will probably avoid him, and most armies will try to sacrifice weak units to tie him up.

And beware the flank charge!

captain malachi
07-03-2009, 18:16
Hey, thanks for the input so far guys, here's my 3k list.

Lords:
Grimgor Ironhide, 375.
Black orc warboss w/ Ulag’s akrit axe, bigged’s kickin’ boots, warboss Umm’s best boss ‘at, heavy armour and shield. 239.

Heroes:
Black orc big boss, battle standard bearer, Morks spirit totem, 170.
Goblin big boss w/ Martog’s best basha, light armour and shield. 56.

Core:
25 orc boys w/ shields, banner 160.
20 night goblins (archers) 60.
32 night goblins w/ netters, banner 139.
5 goblin wolf riders, 60.

Special:
19 black orcs w/ shields, 266. (Da Immortulz)
19 black orcs w/ shields, 266.
10 orc boar boys w/ banner, 234.

Rare:
Giant, 205.

The thing I'm having the most trouble with is whether to take the black orc warboss or an orc great shaman. The warboss gives me another badass fighter character, but the great shaman gives me some offensive magic.

You'll notice I didn't add anything to my core, this is because for this 1000 points worth I wanted to add in the more exotic units (the boar boys for example). Anyway, thoughts?

BigbyWolf
08-03-2009, 14:24
Just a suggestion, but if the BSB is going in one of the units of B.Orcs it might be safer to give the Spirit Totem to the unit instead, I usually run it that way since my BSB started getting targeted early in combat by people who wanted to put a dent in my magical defense.

captain malachi
08-03-2009, 15:15
To be honest I'm not sure where I'll put the BSB, but I'll probably just stick him in a unit of orc boys. The black orc warboss will go in the other black orc unit, that is if I decide to keep him and not go for the shaman instead.

Mabbz101
08-03-2009, 16:46
Ive played against grimgor a few times with my HE army. Everytime he got into contact with my swordmaster his unit lossed in combat. they would flee but rally the next turn. then id charge again with my Swordmaters unit with a flank charge from Dragon princes. same deal would happen.

I was lucky enough to have them charge my swordmasters after moving round a tower. the black orc unit lost combat and flee'd into the building. bye bye grimgor and your body guard.

i do get worried when ever Grimgor gets deployed on the table but with clever deployment on my part a large unit of swordmasters and DPs aswell as a Star dragon he isnt to much of a problem. Also be carefull of heavy magic armies. every offencive spell is going towards him.

captain malachi
09-03-2009, 19:17
Don't charge swordmasters, got it lol. As for magic heavy armies, I have 4 dispel scrolls, so at least I can shut down a few spells on the way over. But that's another reason I can't decide on the warboss or the shaman, any thoughts on that?