PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Lizards

cairodude12
05-03-2009, 19:24
Lately, with the new army book out, I have been writing and playtesting many lists at my local GW. So far I have had some minor successes but my lists are never really balanced and will destroy some races and get pwned by other races. I am planning on using this list in a small tournament soon and I need some help with what to include.
Here is the List:

Scar Vet - 85
Light armour/shield - 8
Piranha Blade - 35
Talisman of Protection - 15
total - 143

Skink Priest - 65
lvl. 2 - 35
scroll - 25
ixti grubs - 25
total - 150

Skink Priest - 65
lvl. 2 - 35
scroll - 25
ixti grubs - 25
total - 150

15 Saurus - 165
spears - 15
full comm - 30
total - 210

10 Saurus - 110
full comm - 30
spears - 10
total - 150

10 skinks - 50

21 skinks - 105
full comm - 22
total - 127

10 skink skirmishers - 70
10 skink skirmishers - 70

6 Chamelion Skinks - 72

Stegadon - 235

Salamander - 75

total - 1500

My 15 man suarus block drives up the middle with the scar vet, who challenges enemy heros, while the the 10 man block takes a flank and goes for those weaker units such as goblins. The skink priest sit in the back blasting the enemy with magic and dispelling at the same time. The 20 man unit of skinks takes the opposite flank supported by the stegadon and a unit of skirmishers. The 10 man skink unit will be used as bait on the other flank to draw an enemy unit out of position before peppering it with blowguns and the salamander. The Chamelion skinks will sit in a swamp in the center of the battlefield march blocking as well as shooting. The Idea is that I won't be out magicked and I have enough combat to take on most other units. I am feeling that I need a few more skirmishers. I may take out the stegadon and put 2-3 more units in. I may also add some saurus cav for some more heavy hitters. What are your thoughts? is this a good, balanced List?
Comments and amendments welcome.

Malorian
05-03-2009, 20:04
First of all you can't have two of the same magic item so those priests are illegal. Personally however, at 15K I think you can get away with no magic, or possible just take 1 lvl 1 priest with diadem of power. This would save you a lot of points and to be honest skink priests aren't exactly magic powerhouses anyway, so you aren't losing much.

No need for full command on a unit of 10, and with only 10 models the spear upgrade is debatable.

I hope you deploy that bigger block at least 6 wide (I question it because of the size).

dsw1
05-03-2009, 20:19
First of all you can't have two of the same magic item so those priests are illegal. Personally however, at 15K I think you can get away with no magic, or possible just take 1 lvl 1 priest with diadem of power.

The diadem says you can only save your wizards "own unused power dice" it doesn't say you can save the pools PD, so I would assume you have to be a minimum of a Level 2 to get it's full potential. Mind you I could be wrong.

Also, you'd be surprised at how much magic can be included in 1500pts, I usually end up taking 2 level 2's with 2 scrolls on one and a scroll and diadem on the other (they then both have SOME potential to cast in case they don't have much magic, and both have scrolls in case they do have magic).

Spirit
05-03-2009, 21:57
The diadem says you can only save your wizards "own unused power dice" it doesn't say you can save the pools PD, so I would assume you have to be a minimum of a Level 2 to get it's full potential. Mind you I could be wrong.

Also, you'd be surprised at how much magic can be included in 1500pts, I usually end up taking 2 level 2's with 2 scrolls on one and a scroll and diadem on the other (they then both have SOME potential to cast in case they don't have much magic, and both have scrolls in case they do have magic).

Your right, but 4 dispell dice for 90 points is not too shabby.

I would get an engine of the gods in instead of the second priest, replace your current stegadon with it. The secret to a good lizardman army is troops on the field, not heroes. I would always take one less hero than allowed and use the points to make your army good. To be honest, at 1500 points i would run one skink priest on and engine with the diadem of power as my ONLY hero. This gives you enough points to have both stegadon in the army, which is devastating at these points.

Use the free points to beef up the saurus, you want to have 12 models in the unit by the time you REACH COMBAT, so you get the 24 attacks.

If you can, i would also suggest at least one kroxigor in the ranked up skinks, the punch these guys give, combined with Ld7 for the unit and immunity to fear is well worth 55 points.

Spirit
05-03-2009, 22:01

Your right, but 4 dispell dice for 90 points is not too shabby.

I would get an engine of the gods in instead of the second priest, replace your current stegadon with it.

Use the free points to beef up the saurus, you want to have 12 models in the unit by the time you REACH COMBAT, so you get the 24 attacks.

Lastly, if your set on the scar vet, make the priest your general and give the scar vet a bsb, re rolls on break checks with cold blooded is far more usefull that Ld8, and it gives your combat more punch with the +1 CR.