PDA

View Full Version : Regret buying a titan???

kaimarion
05-03-2009, 20:31
So the question is does anyone on here regret that they bought a titan(or other large model) FW or Armourcarst? I for one have never in the 3 years I've had my chaos hound regretted buying it mainly because it just looks soooooo amazing and the amount of detail in the model is outstanding and second to none.

It will be interesting hearing what some of you think about yours.

Tonberry
05-03-2009, 20:38
I'm sure if you did you could easily ebay it; they usually go for more than RRP on there.

toymaker
05-03-2009, 20:50
I've had buyer's guilt for other things, but not for any of my large models

chromedog
05-03-2009, 20:56
I've never regretted buying my AC Eldar Phantom titan.

It looked cool then and still does. It isn't bling-ed out with extraneous details - and it kills other big things easily enough (and dodges most return fire).

I know a couple of guys who regretted buying a reaver from FW, though, due to QC and casting issues (bubbles inside the casting. ALL incoming int'l mail here gets scanned/x-rayed by customs. If any 'suspicious' voids are detected, Customs are required to drill them to ensure they aren't being used to smuggle something - like drugs. Oh, and if they don't find anything, they aren't required to patch the holes or compensate you for any damage. On top of that, the import duties (the titans ARE over the $900 AUD limit for duty-free) are a killer.)

damiengore
05-03-2009, 21:17
I've scrath built a Ravager (reaver class) chaos titan, 3 knights titans and a Hierophant and they were lots of fun to do!

But I'm buying a stompa and there will be no regret there!

Tymanid
05-03-2009, 21:18
I received a Trygon as a christmas present and recently acquired a Scything Heirodule.

Don't get to play them all that often, but the few games they've been in, I've enjoyed...and just seeing the look of abject horror when my Trygon burrows up in the middle of things and it's Ravener attendents come swarming out to the attack....that is gratifying =)

Tymanid
Live for the Swarm!!

Demonrich
05-03-2009, 21:55
Nope, I have never regretted any of my forge worl babies ;) I only ever buy models because I like the look of them, regardless of their in game performance.

I can see people impulse buying titans in the Apocalypse arms race might reget buying them, but I think it is a bit silly to buy something that expensive unless you really like it.

To me they are collector's models first and foremost :)

TheBigBadWolf
05-03-2009, 22:03
I know a couple of guys who regretted buying a reaver from FW, though, due to QC and casting issues (bubbles inside the casting. ALL incoming int'l mail here gets scanned/x-rayed by customs. If any 'suspicious' voids are detected, Customs are required to drill them to ensure they aren't being used to smuggle something - like drugs. Oh, and if they don't find anything, they aren't required to patch the holes or compensate you for any damage. On top of that, the import duties (the titans ARE over the $900 AUD limit for duty-free) are a killer.)

Woh, that sucks, I would be really peed off if customs started drilling holes in my packages, I still hate UPS over them and their inability to realise the package was priced in USD not in GBP, and so meant I did not need to pay tax :mad:

Darkane
05-03-2009, 22:36
Do I regret buying a forgeworld Reaver Titan? Not at all! I just wish I had more time to paint it....seriously I'd consider buying a second Reaver were it not for the fact that ever since I received the one I've got back in may, I still haven't finished it. So I'd probably regret buying another one (even though I can afford it) because I still have the first to finish up as well as a ton of other little projects here and there to finish that I don't have the time for. Someday though...someday...

But for now its an excellent centerpiece to the rest of my collections and I love having it displayed on my shelf. I'm very eager to actually start playing some games with it as soon as I get it finished and by then I'm sure I'll love it even more.

Ravenheart
05-03-2009, 23:21
Nope, I certainly don't.

Though in retrospective, I might rather have bought a Chaos Titan, instead of a loyalist one. Maybe next time. :D

EVIL INC
05-03-2009, 23:37
I dont regret buying the reaver titan I bought from Armorcast all those years ago. I do however regret selling it when I did as just a few short years later, they are now selling for 3 times what I sold it for then.

grissom2006
05-03-2009, 23:45
not one single regret other than when i curse away putting some bits together but i love it once completed and painted up

Jedi152
05-03-2009, 23:46
500+ for a resin toy that has no proper rules in the game? I'd regret buying one.

Pacific
06-03-2009, 00:08
Suppose it depends what you regard as 'proper rules'. Certainly most of the people I have played against have no problem at all with the FW stuff, and in fact its actively encouraged for the excitement of seeing something big and shooty (or at least a bit different!)

In any case, I doubt anyone would buy one of those things if they're part of a game group that frowns upon Apoc/FW.

kaimarion
06-03-2009, 00:24
500+ for a resin toy that has no proper rules in the game? I'd regret buying one.
Why would you buy the FW one if you wanted the rules as the AC one is cheaper? I think most people do it for the looks more than the rules, in the whole of 3 years my hound has only been used twice but that's mainly because I took forever to paint it and am now taking forever to repaint it and I don't like using tanks and such that are half finished :p.

Faolain
06-03-2009, 00:24
I regret buying my Cobra and Heirodule only because I just lost my job today. I really don't want to sell them but may have to.

Hicks
06-03-2009, 01:49
If I bought one, I know I would have huge buyers remorse. They may be be pretty and all, but I don't think they are worth what FW charges for them.

BigJon
06-03-2009, 01:52
Not at all. I have a Reaver and a Warhound, both of which were paid for totally by ebay by selling off old armies and systems I no long played.

BigJon

jeffersonian000
06-03-2009, 02:06
I regret selling my 6 warhounds and resin baneblade when I was unemployee and need money for rent. Life hurts.

SJ

Elthniar
06-03-2009, 02:40
I do not regret my decision at all of purchasing FW stuff. I currently have a Revenant Tian, a Scorpion, a Nightwing, and a Phoenix, as well as the FW Avatar. The only one that sees regular use is my Avatar but I love having the models and it is so satisfying to take them out for a big Apocalypse game every once and a while. I enjoy my FW models so much that I will soon be picking up the new Cobra (one of the best models I've ever seen, ever) and another Revenant to go along with fluff (they are often piloted by twin brothers)

Ocid
06-03-2009, 02:57
Would i ever regret buying one? No i wouldn't.

I plan on buying a Warhound in the near future. I'm attempting to give up smoking and needed some sort of incentive to get me to stop i have enough long term and ongoing health issues as is. cancer is another one i could do without.

So if the idea of picking up a Warhound helps me to stop then i'll love the damn thing for it.

Godgolden
06-03-2009, 03:03
no, not ever, its too good looking.

Splata
06-03-2009, 03:04
I only won a forge world flying Hive tyrant, It is easily my favoite miniture that I own. It is so well modelled and so dynamic. Not a regret from me.

Threads like this make me really want the brass scorpion. Fine it doesn't have anything to do with my army, but I love how pretty that thing is!

Khornies & milk
06-03-2009, 03:23
If I bought one, I know I would have huge buyers remorse. They may be be pretty and all, but I don't think they are worth what FW charges for them.

Exactly how I feel...$A900...can't see the value. They're great looking models but not for me.

My son has the FW Bloodthirster and it's an awesome model, and it's worth the money imo, but it's only a third of the Warhounds cost so is easier to justify.

Masybe when/if I win lotto....hell, then I'll buy 3:D

Thoth62
06-03-2009, 05:18
I just picked up a Chaos Warhound a couple months ago, and I have absolutely no regrets. It's such a beautiful model, and to be honest, I never once thought about actually using it in a game prior to making the purchase. First and foremost, it's a display piece, and I finally think that my painting skills are good enough to warrant buying one.

zendral
06-03-2009, 08:12
^^what he said. I bought a lucious hound to convert to chaos. It's been a fun project with no regrets. I bought it with the thought that it would not or rarely be played (before apoc). So the fact that it has seen action more times than expected....just a side bonus.

Spacker
06-03-2009, 09:54
Never regretted getting my Chaos Warhound (had it a few years now), it is easily my favourite model in my collection. And it only accounts for about 7% of my total FW spend :angel: ; I'd dread to think what tiny percentage of my total GW spend ...

saarkvansoor
06-03-2009, 17:03
Yep. Most of the time, actually.

I have a Warlock Titan and every game since the first it played in, it has been a complete fun-sink. Am I proud of the paint job? Yes. The quality of the model/its imposing nature on the battlefield? Yes.

What stinks is that it amplifies the general problem with Apocalypse games to the Nth degree. The other guy has spent tons of time on models, deployment, tactics and then Whack! the whole unit is gone in a cloud by one of the oversized Wraithguard's off-hand weapons.

While on paper, that is the classic Conan: "Drive your enemies before you..." but on the other, it means that you are slowly whittling away at the fun being had by your opponents. And feeling like you and your spectacular toy are being the fun-vampire at the table just isn't all that appealing.

I have pretty much left the big guy at home, favoring two Cobras and more units in its place. The whole character of the game changes when the Titan is there.

Aegius
06-03-2009, 17:06
I regretted buying a forgeworld revenant. The thing was so fragile and difficult to store anywhere. I ended up swapping it for a whole load of more useful Eldar stuff, including a forgeworld avatar.

I don't regret buying my forgeworld scorpion grav tank though. It is very easy to store and looks b e a utiful.

Eryx_UK
06-03-2009, 17:39
I saved up and bought my Warhound Titan last year. 300 well spent. She has only played three games but I didn;t buy her to play with, but for the pleasure of owning a Titan.

W0lf
06-03-2009, 18:14
I could never buy a titan.

They are too close to the 30 transformars/power ranger megazords that i used to play with. The price of those things is ridiculous.

Bathawk
06-03-2009, 18:20
umm a Titan is just a large Forge World apocalypse model right?

Dreachon
06-03-2009, 18:23
Never regretted in getting the chaos warhound, now I'm looking forward to getting him some company.

Captain Micha
06-03-2009, 18:33
I want a Manta. That's my goal for my Tau is to work my way up the pts and $ till I buy a Manta. Then I shall call my Tau complete.

Bodysnatcher
06-03-2009, 19:06
Then you can use the Manta as a giant spoiler on your car, add low-riders and go cruisin'!

I want's a manta...

Captain Micha
06-03-2009, 19:09
Shoot it could replace a car's trunk all together not just be a spoiler!

JanusKain
06-03-2009, 19:48
2 year owner of a chaos warhound. My only regret is that it still isn't painted ;_;

Marshal Sinclair
06-03-2009, 19:54
The problem with Forgeworld in general and their larger models in particular is whether or not they are worth the high price tag. There is no set answer to this, as it completely depends on a persons situation. Somebody earning 25,000 a year could have 1,500 a month disposable income. When in this situation a 500 Reaver is not a large investment. His work collegue earning exactly the same could be paying for a mortgage, a wife, and 3 kids. He now has 150 a month disposable income. In this situation a 500 Reaver is a massive investment which must be carefully justified.

Next time you think "it's not worth the cost", or "it's definitely worth the cost", add a "to me" to the end of those statements.

Anyway. I do not regret buying any of my Titans (FW Reaver, Armorcast Reaver, FW Warhound, Armorcast Revenant), although I do regret selling the Armorcast Reaver. Not much choice though, I had nowhere to store it. I don't regret buying my Krieg army, but I do regret buying my Cadians and Marines, so I guess it depends where your priorities are.

Nexus Trimean
06-03-2009, 20:13
I just ordered a Warhound, it will only see the table once in a while. but it will paint it up sexy and it will live on my shelf with all my airplains, Guarding them from the dark eldar on the shelf below.

Killgore
06-03-2009, 21:05
Iv never regretted spending 250-300 on my AC Eldar Phantom Titan

had it over 2 years now and it still isnt fully painted :( need to make some banners for it as well

I have a FW Blood Thirster unmade stored away somewhere, i dont know why i havnt got round to sorting that model out, maybe in the holidays when i have more time

Grubnar
07-03-2009, 04:18
I have a Titan Battle group from Armorcast (a pair of Warhounds and a Reaver) that I sometimes regret buying, not because I dont want them but because I have had them for a few years now and I still have no idea how I should paint them, or even if I want to use them as Imperial or Chaos.
Still, they were really, really cheap. I guess I was lucky to get them before the Apocalypse titan mania settled in.

Yautja
07-03-2009, 06:12
I can't justify it to myself. The cost of one of those could easily buy me a 2000 point army, and I will have more fun playing then a single game of apoc.

Shangrila
07-03-2009, 06:18
I love my Lucius baneblade and its 3 ankurion cousins.... my maruader destroyers one of a kind(i have never seen anyone else with one!) my phantoms cool to.