PDA

View Full Version : Tournament list restrictions

XXL
05-03-2009, 21:45
Maybe this should be in the rules-department, dont know, sry in that case.

For those of you who have attended offical tournamnets now a days is there any general restrictions to what you can field, except for the normal rules about points, characters, core and so on.. i e do they cap powerdice, force you to play more core than usuall and stuff like that? When I played my last "tournament" Nagash was in stores...

jax40kplyr1
06-03-2009, 17:07
Nope - only restrictions I've seen are no armies from the back of the book (older army books), no DOW, meet normal army restrictions and have copies of any FAQs on you in case of a rules dispute.
Different scenarios might impose handicaps or restrictions based on the scenario, but nothing tournament wise overrall that I have seen.

XXL
07-03-2009, 00:26
Ty the reason im asking is that i plan on hosting a "small" (15-20 or so) person tournamnet... Do you guys think I should limit something? There will be some old dadys who played for a longe time ago and their sons and friends... No experts so to speak :)

Bob123
07-03-2009, 01:08
In sweden, most serious tournaments use some kind of comp system, a way to punish "cheesy" armies and help the weaker ones. The comp is calculated for each list and then added to their total tournament score. One such comp system can be found here: http://atlantis.sverok.net/WPS/RT_WPS_Comp.pdf . Strictly speaking this does not really restrict what people can choose, although often a minimum comp score is set. Lower comp = too cheesy = no play!

Is this kind of system widely used aroundthe world? Or is it a swedish thing? I guess GW doesn't want to use this in their own tournaments, it would mean admitting imbalance! outrageous ;)

havoc626
07-03-2009, 05:10
Well, it does depend on what size tournament you will be having (pt wise).

If you are making one that is under 2000pts, then you shouldn't have many problems with the 'cheesy' lists. Most tournaments are at 750pt intervals (I think). so 750pt, 1500pt, 2250 pt, ect.

If there is a character that will give one list a big advantage, such as Thorek, hinder them in one way or another. For example, in some tournaments, Kraggi's re-roll ability is only able to be used once per game. But I will say to be careful if you do this, because you don't want to make a character completely useless and also make sure that your players know about this in advance, just so they don't get it sprung on them.

Neknoh
07-03-2009, 08:08
it really does depend on the tournament I'd say, in Sweden and some parts of europe, the Rogue Trader Composition Rules are used, and you aren't allowed to go below 12 (at least here) once the calculations are all done (add up the points, divide by 200 and done). Also, in Sweden, Special Characters are not allowed for tournaments.

http://atlantis.sverok.net/WPS/RT_WPS_Comp.pdf

Other parties use the ETC templates, I only have a link to the warseer discussion on the "beta" tempalte though. http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184288

I don't know what they use in the US, or if they even use one

Desert Rain
07-03-2009, 08:55
Thank you for that link Neknoh! I was just looking for something like that :p

jax40kplyr1
08-03-2009, 19:28
The best tournaments I've seen so far:
1. Request lists to be submitted at least 1 week prior to the tournament. Now this is a subjective call on the person organizing the tournament, but they assign a "cheesiness" score based on your army comp. For the first turn of the tournament, they match up cheesiest vs cheesiest.
2. Objective and different scenarios. Fighting only pitched battles gets boring and plays into power army builds. The 'Ard Boyz tournament a year or two ago - first scenario was a Winds of Change special rule. Double 1s, 2s, 3s = miscast. Double 4s, 5s, 6s = irresistable.
3. Special characters are a touchy subject now, as some debate about special vice named characters. Either way - all of the newer books have them and many players are turned off by not being able to use any of the (13 for lizzies for example) characters that their books have. I would recommend against penalizing certain characters, like Thorek, because your obviously targeting them against others, like Mannfred for example.
4. Use an aggregate scoring - Generalship, painting and sportsmanship. Generalship can be 60, painting 20, sportsmanship 20. If you have 20 players, have the judges walk around and rank all of the armies from best to worst and assign them scores. Sportsmanship - have players decide if the army was "a good example, theme and well balanced", "okay but something about it would make you not want to play it again", and "power gaming, poor example of army composition and one you would not want to play again".
All in all - I think the scenario creation would be the best way to have an even and well-balanced tournament. A good one I saw was the "Corruption of Chaos", where players rolled a dice at the start of their turn. If it was a 1 or 6, every piece of terrain randomly scattered an artillery dice and direction. If a unit was hit, it would have to test for stupidity next turn. You know the Thorek gunline? Wait till the piece of terrain he has set up in front of him scatters in front of the organ guns and cannons set along his line.