PDA

View Full Version : EotG+Portant of Warding question

Gork or Possibly Mork
06-03-2009, 04:44
I read that someone on warseer said they couldn't use the EotG's wardsave ability because they didn't get the first turn.

The group I play with plays it as once activated it carries on until the next magic phase ( which then you can use it again or activate another ability ).

So if your opponent goes first it would be useless on the first turn but you could activate it on turn one and it would work from turn 2 onward until you use another ability.

Seems kind of harsh not being able to use you're gungan shield if the opponent gets the first turn. What do you think?

SabaLoth
06-03-2009, 05:16
that's the risk of going second

Gork or Possibly Mork
06-03-2009, 05:19
that's the risk of going second

Are you saying you agree you can't use it at all or only from turn 2 onward?

Asmodiseus
06-03-2009, 05:35
That is absolutly the way you play it. It says you choose to activate it in a friendly magic phase so you can not use it for your opponents first turn if he goes first.

Gork or Possibly Mork
06-03-2009, 05:55
That is absolutly the way you play it. It says you choose to activate it in a friendly magic phase so you can not use it for your opponents first turn if he goes first.

Ok thanks. That's how we play it. Im trying to get a concensus if you go second.

A. You can't use it at all.
B. It takes a turn to "properly" activate. Meaning if you go second you have to wait a turn use it. Like lets say you use Burning Alignment on turn 3 you can activate Portant of warding on turn 4 but it won't take effect til turn 5.

Asmodiseus
06-03-2009, 07:13
Well it will take effect in YOUR turn 4 and could be used against miscasts on your wizard or a unit of troops in close combat. Then it will also be in effect for your opponents turn 5.

nosferatu1001
06-03-2009, 07:23
As soon as you activate the warding, it takes immediate effect. Good idea to do it first in the phase to give your expensive priest a wardsave ;). It then states, quite clearly, it lasts until the start of the next friendly magic phase - i.e. a complete game turn. Useful against stand and shoot reactions if you charge next turn....(which is the only bit Asmodiseus missed ;) )

However, if you don't have first turn your opponent gets a "free" turn while your ward isn't active.

Gork or Possibly Mork
06-03-2009, 07:27
Well it will take effect in YOUR turn 4 and could be used against miscasts on your wizard or a unit of troops in close combat. Then it will also be in effect for your opponents turn 5.

!? The book says it only works against "Ranged Attacks" so how would you get to use it on turn 4. I can't think of a senario were ranged attacks would happen in the combat phase and how would it help with miscast?

Asmodiseus
06-03-2009, 07:40
Ah yeah sorry you are correct, Im not really familiar with the new LM and just quickly glanced over the EotG, I thought it was a straight up normal wardsave.

So the only situation where you would get the ward save in your turn 4 was if you cast unseen lurker on a unit within 12" of the EotG and that unit used the spell to charge a unit outside of 12" from the EotG and that unit declared a Stand and Shoot Reaction.

Or if you miscast and roll a 5 or a 6 and your opponent gets to cast one of his spells at your unit.

Gork or Possibly Mork
06-03-2009, 08:09
Ah yeah sorry you are correct, Im not really familiar with the new LM and just quickly glanced over the EotG, I thought it was a straight up normal wardsave.

So the only situation where you would get the ward save in your turn 4 was if you cast unseen lurker on a unit within 12" of the EotG and that unit used the spell to charge a unit outside of 12" from the EotG and that unit declared a Stand and Shoot Reaction.

Or if you miscast and roll a 5 or a 6 and your opponent gets to cast one of his spells at your unit.

I wasn't thinking hard enough I guess. Both good points thanks for that:)