PDA

View Full Version : Starting daemons or skaven

PeG
06-03-2009, 10:54
OK so I have decided it is time to start another army and have narrowed it down to two options, daemons and skaven. My main opponent is also getting a new army (now plays 2250 points WE) and is considering Lizards or WoC. The idea is to have fun games both against him and maybe also together with him in doubles tournaments that we see a few of. We are often playing small games ie 500-1k but sometimes also 2k or higher.

The advantages/disadvantages I can see with them are the following

Daemons
Advantages
Nice models, interesting painting and building options
not so many models ie easy to transport
not a very common army where I usually play
limited at 500 points?

Disadvantages
considered to be OP
A couple of really bad examples among where I usually play ie 17PD or thirster with all equipment together with lots of flamers.
Probably a realy bad opponent for WE

Skaven
Advantages
lots of possible builds with lots of models
more common then daemons but still not very frequent. This may of course change with the new book.
might be a better opponent for both lizards, WoC and WE and therefore maybe more fun to play
Tactically more challenging
can do a lot with 500 points

Disadvantages
Lots of models
less interesting to build/paint

Any opinions are welcome

GuyLeCheval
06-03-2009, 12:20
You want fun games? Go with Skaven, BUT, wait until july/Augustus when their new book is supposed to came out.

Foegnasher
06-03-2009, 12:47
Go with Skaven.

join us....

Toomanymind
06-03-2009, 13:53
Hehe, go Skaven, they are silly fun. :D

Necromancer2
06-03-2009, 13:58
I'm in the same boat... I'm going to start Daemons unit skaven come out.

fastcarfreak
06-03-2009, 14:49
Skaven is by far my favorite army to play. And this is coming from someone with 5 large armies. I always come back to my little rat friends.

dariakus
06-03-2009, 16:28
Skaven! Skaven! Skaven! Yes-yes!

Join the hordes :)

PeG
06-03-2009, 16:38
OK an overwhelming majority for skaven. If I go skaven what would you recomend my friend to do? As I said we will play against each other rather frequently but also do a few doubles tournaments together. I think he is mostly interested in Lizards alhtough WoC is the alternativt. We will need to be really inventive in the fluff to motivate a skaven-Lizard team so any suggestions for that would also be welcome.

Foegnasher
06-03-2009, 17:03
OK an overwhelming majority for skaven. If I go skaven what would you recomend my friend to do? As I said we will play against each other rather frequently but also do a few doubles tournaments together. I think he is mostly interested in Lizards alhtough WoC is the alternativt. We will need to be really inventive in the fluff to motivate a skaven-Lizard team so any suggestions for that would also be welcome.

The Skaven and the Lizard men HATE each other. The lizards got thier knickers in a twist after clan pestilens wiped out an entire temple city and brought 100 years of war, disease and decay to them.

tends to leave a little animosity between the two.

lizards and skaven can't team up, fluff wise. teh Skaven are "bad" (empire propaganda!) and the Lizards are "good" (neutral at best, f*ckin' commies.)

PeG
06-03-2009, 17:17
Of course they hate each other thats whats makes the fluff challenging. Previously we had an idea of a daemon-Lizard team with Lizards being corrupted by a powerfull chaos daemon. Of course lizardmen standards etc would have been painted to reflect that fact. It is however more tricky to make that work with skaven.

fastcarfreak
06-03-2009, 18:34
You can always say that a slann is being held captive by the skaven and if lizards dont help skaven defeat the forces of [good?], then the precious slann will be killed.

Foegnasher
06-03-2009, 21:28
or the skaven need help with thier nefarious ends and decided the killy saurus are perfect for the job, temporary truce of course, maybe the lizards could have some lovely blankets to take back when they are done?

havoc626
06-03-2009, 22:25
or the skaven need help with thier nefarious ends and decided the killy saurus are perfect for the job, temporary truce of course, maybe the lizards could have some lovely blankets to take back when they are done?

Bit of a low blow, but I laughed. I see the funny side of it.

As one that may fit in with your armies fluff (depending on what Skaven clan you are on best terms with) you could say that Clan Pestilens has engineered a new disease that distorts the mind and causes the Lizards to think that the Skaven are allies, so don't attack them. I hardly think that the Lizards would be bright enough not to trust what they see. As for the Slann, which wouldn't be tricked so easily, you could say a Grey Seet is changing the flow of magic around it so it doesn't 'see' the skaven.

W0lf
06-03-2009, 22:31
Skaven.

Its not like we need more Daemons armies in the world :P

Foegnasher
06-03-2009, 22:38
Skaven.

Its not like we need more Daemons armies in the world :P

I didn't want to be the one to say it.

SimonL
06-03-2009, 22:39
Yeah, daemons may be all powerful and so forth, but they really can't beat the look on your opponent's face when you show him the rule that lets you fire into close combat :P

Or having your General's Str 10, D3 wound causing sword kill himself instead of the enemy...

Or a Ratling gun firing 18 str 5 shots in a random direction, mostly likey into yourself or your allies...

Or your Warpfire thrower catching fire and running into your units, before exploding and panicking half your army...

Or a misfiring Warp Lightning cannon bisecting the entire table and both armies with a 48" str 10 bolt...

Now why do I play Skaven again?

omgadinosaur
06-03-2009, 23:17
Yeah, daemons may be all powerful and so forth, but they really can't beat the look on your opponent's face when you show him the rule that lets you fire into close combat :P

Or having your General's Str 10, D3 wound causing sword kill himself instead of the enemy...

Or a Ratling gun firing 18 str 5 shots in a random direction, mostly likey into yourself or your allies...

Or your Warpfire thrower catching fire and running into your units, before exploding and panicking half your army...

Or a misfiring Warp Lightning cannon bisecting the entire table and both armies with a 48" str 10 bolt...

Now why do I play Skaven again?

For the times you shoot a Stardragon out from underneath a prince on turn one!

SimonL
06-03-2009, 23:40
Also, 40 slaves plus Death Frenzy = awesome and hilarious quagmire for enemy to get stuck in, whilst you shoot him lol

havoc626
07-03-2009, 02:11
You forgot the time when you cast Plague on an enemy unit, then proceed to roll nothing but 1s and 2s, resulting in half the rats choking to death and only 5 Elves carking it.

And when, first turn, the Screaming Bell rolls 3 6's and blows itself up.

I love Skaven.

Ward.
07-03-2009, 04:41
Or having your General's Str 10, D6 wound causing sword kill himself instead of the enemy...

Or a Ratling gun firing 18 str 4 shots in a random direction, mostly likey into yourself or your allies...

Fixed, and an amen comrat.

SimonL
07-03-2009, 04:49
Fixed, and an amen comrat.

Oops, good spotting there lol. I can only hope for Str 5 Ratling guns in the new army book :D And I put D3 *shakes head, you can tell I haven't played for a month :P

Dark_Knight
07-03-2009, 05:32
I play Brets but the next army I buy will be Skaven. They are interesting, dynamic (no flyers though, but there are tunnelers!), and a barrel full of laughs when things go wrong for them. I think it would be less stressful to play Skaven. You will always have fun and a story of woe to share even though you will probably win most of your fights. Skaven tend to blow up from time to time. Good fun though!

Charistoph
07-03-2009, 06:52
WoC or Lizards to link with Skaven...

Clan Pestilens with Nurgle Warriors?

Clan Skryre or Clan Moulder with Tzeentch Warriors?

The nice thing here is you can get really themed with these guys combining.

If you go by the Legendary Battles Ally Chart, Skaven are good with Greenskins, Ogres, or any Chaos unit, with touch and go relations with Tomb Kings, Dark Elves and Lizardmen (hey, Skaven fight Humans!)

Kill-Freedom
07-03-2009, 07:46
Skaven be far more fun

the_under_empire_clan
08-03-2009, 22:06
Also, 40 slaves plus Death Frenzy = awesome and hilarious quagmire for enemy to get stuck in, whilst you shoot him lol

hahahah i did this before against dwarfs who tried to anti-magic the plague spell haha those fools, slaves with death frenzy is the best thing ever

the_under_empire_clan
08-03-2009, 22:11
I play Brets but the next army I buy will be Skaven. They are interesting, dynamic (no flyers though, but there are tunnelers!), and a barrel full of laughs when things go wrong for them. I think it would be less stressful to play Skaven. You will always have fun and a story of woe to share even though you will probably win most of your fights. Skaven tend to blow up from time to time. Good fun though!

thats cool cause i also play brets and skaven. To armies completly opposite, but yet both so fun.Specially against dwarf players, they try to stop the lances with all their guns but when they get there, their faces look the same every time, well men kiss your arss goodbye.

Ultimo ninja
09-03-2009, 05:07
Blankets...ok thats evil! They would be laced with disease! ahhh!

the_under_empire_clan
09-03-2009, 06:52
if you want a sneaky army that no one will get mad at you useing, get skaven. Although if you do like getting people mad then get wood elfs, get really good with them peolpe almost tip tables over because of them.

Kill-Freedom
14-03-2009, 03:33
if you want a sneaky army that no one will get mad at you useing, get skaven. Although if you do like getting people mad then get wood elfs, get really good with them peolpe almost tip tables over because of them.

I know, i use to be a wood elf player, use to be so gutless, only ever engage enemy in turn 4 or 5 of the game, and on my terms ^^