PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Rules vs Ethics

MSU
06-03-2009, 15:31
I have a measuring question involving ethics and I am wondering if this is explicitly stated somewhere in the rulebook (I cannot find it) and how people normally play this.

If I have a spell that I want to cast at unit X with a range of 18 inches and unit X has a charge range of 16 inches, during my movement phase (I am starting about 20 inches away from unit X), can I measure and move 17 inches away from unit X? This would make me in range for my spell and for sure out of the charge range of unit X. I am not measuring my distance moved and I am not measuring the range of the spell in the magic phase.

This seems legal to me, but it might **** off my opponent. Is this a legal maneouver? Please help.

selone
06-03-2009, 15:36
Sorry what are you asking exactly?

You can measure the distance you move or the range of your spell (You measure to see whether a spell is in range AFTER it is succesfully cast)but if you're asking can I just measure distance to my opponent as it looks like you're asking the answer is clearly no.
If you're pretty sure the distance is 20" away you can just move 3 inches towards them though.

Arguleon-veq
06-03-2009, 15:37
You cant measure how far you are away from the enemy in your movement phase, only your actual movement. At least thats how I have always played.

selone
06-03-2009, 15:40
Which is clearly the right way to do it arguleon or else I will measure my doomdiver to your troops, my archers to your troops, my spellcaster to your troops etc etc in the movement phase.

MSU
06-03-2009, 16:43
Ok, yeah, it seems silly to be able to do it. Is there a cite in the BRB or is this just "the fair way to play the game" and "in the spirit of the rules".

stripsteak
06-03-2009, 16:49
there doesn't need to be a rule against it. there needs to be a rule for it, which there is none.

EldarBishop
06-03-2009, 22:04
Right... it doesn't say that you CAN do so.... therefore you CANNOT measure.

Gazak Blacktoof
06-03-2009, 22:36
Part of not measuring is covered explicitly on p.18 regarding charges. There might be more references to not measuring in other sections but I'm not going to check them all.

As stripsteak and EldarBishop pointed out there's no rule telling you that you can measure so you can't. You also need to realise that if you were prevented from measuring only during the declare charges sub-phase the restriction would be fairly pointless.

Fellblade
07-03-2009, 01:27
What you're asking to do is essentially pre-measuring ranges which isn't permitted. As for a rulebook reference, I don't think there is one but it falls into the same category as there being no rule against throwing your opponent's models on the floor and stomping on them. Just because it doesn't say you can't doesn't mean you can.