PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Lore

CaliforniaGamer
06-03-2009, 18:09
Think I know the answer to this but wanted some consensus, if a vampire lord takes Forbidden Lore: Lore of Metal or Light (say vs. other vampires or daemons), regardless he retains knowledge of Invocation of Nehek per the "The Black Art" section of the Army Book, essentially guaranteeing 7 spells minimum, correct?

Areku
06-03-2009, 18:11
Yes. Regardless of what lore you pick you will ALWAYS have Invocation. It is an automatic spell for every vampire. (Konrad aside)

Basically, a level 1 wizard gets invo AND another spell, lvl 2 gets invo + 2 spells.

In your case you will get invo + 6 spells from whatever lore you choose. In the end, yes, you get 7 spells on that wizard. Use them wisely.

CaliforniaGamer
06-03-2009, 18:21
, you get 7 spells on that wizard. Use them wisely.

You have any advice on what lore to get vs. different opponents?

Abhorash
06-03-2009, 18:23
Fire versus wood elfs.... Oooh boy did that treeman fall fast <3

Areku
06-03-2009, 18:30
I never pick Heavens or Light.
Fire = Elves in general and tomb kings.
Shadow is eh, I wouldn't take it unless you're lucky with Pit of Shades.
Death is good if you can Soul Steal snipe champs or heroes.
Metal can be useful, but it varies.

Honestly, my favorite was a Vamp lord with the lynci talisman, Infinite Hatred, Red Fury, and Avatar of Death running with a unit of Blood Knights. Put Bear's Anger on him and watch jaws drop. Armor him as you wish, just don't give him a weapon, as he'll lose it to Bear's Anger.

Draconian77
06-03-2009, 18:50
Light is so useful against Undead or Daemons, in fact its a useful lore full stop.

Bodysnatcher
06-03-2009, 19:02
I like it when vampires take LoL (:D) against my Daemons. Gives me a nice spell to shteal.

Neckutter
06-03-2009, 19:08
if you take lore of light against daemons, you are setting yourself up for failure. standard of sundering is in most of the armies that dont play leadership bomb.

the best magic lore for vampires?
the lore of vampires.
the best lore in the game?
lore of vampires.

Fellblade
06-03-2009, 19:51
Fire is usually pretty nice for the Flaming Sword. Extra attack, str8, and hits on 2s? Yes please.

Neckutter
06-03-2009, 19:57
wouldnt you rather have your whole unit strike first and reroll to hit?
yes, please.

(oh and did i mention you can recast it, and cast it on your whole army)
thankyoudrivethrough.

CaliforniaGamer
06-03-2009, 23:09
if you take lore of light against daemons, you are setting yourself up for failure. standard of sundering is in most of the armies that dont play leadership bomb.

the best magic lore for vampires?
the lore of vampires.
the best lore in the game?
lore of vampires.

Why wouldnt the opponent declare standard of sundering vs. lore of vampires? Seems the best situation you get is having 2 different lores so if one is shut down, you can ride the other.

Sifal
06-03-2009, 23:17
which happens first? daemon player declares which lore he will 'sunder' or other player declares which laws he is using?

Asmodiseus
06-03-2009, 23:35
Declaring lores happens after terrain placement, sundering happens after deployment, so declaring lores will come first

and just a reminder Invocation of Nehek is not in the Lore of Vampires, it has no lore and so can never be effected by the standard.

CaliforniaGamer
07-03-2009, 00:01
Declaring lores happens after terrain placement, sundering happens after deployment, so declaring lores will come first

and just a reminder Invocation of Nehek is not in the Lore of Vampires, it has no lore and so can never be effected by the standard.

oh....OH....are you serious???

anyone confirm this?

PS-jeebus I just reread the Black Arts, I think you are right...

Fellblade
07-03-2009, 01:01
oh....OH....are you serious???

anyone confirm this?
What's there to confirm? You don't roll for it, its not one of the 6 Lore of Vampire spells. Same goes for the DE spell creating extra power dice. Those spells aren't part of any lore, they're simply stand-alone spells given to certain characters.
One of the FAQs for the daemon's banner might talk about this, I forget, but they aren't part of any lore that can be affected by the banner.

Asmodiseus
07-03-2009, 05:18
It is indeed in the DoC FAQ, also you can not effect Tomb King or Gut magic as well.

Neckutter
07-03-2009, 10:08
Why wouldnt the opponent declare standard of sundering vs. lore of vampires? Seems the best situation you get is having 2 different lores so if one is shut down, you can ride the other.

sure you can chose lore of the vampires all over the place. then i just spam IoN because the spell doesnt belong to that lore. AND i think vanhel's is still a bargain at 9+ to cast.
:)