PDA

View Full Version : Which do you think is better, 11 Skrimish Skinks or 1 Salamander

blackjack
06-03-2009, 18:17
I ask this question because 11 skirmish skinks and 1 salamander are about the same points cost, both act as short range shooting skirmishers. I imagine Skinks are better against high T low AS targets like Giants, while Salamanders are better against high armor low T rank troops like elves.

Let me Know what you think!

Famder
06-03-2009, 18:35
It completely depends on what else is in the army.

dsw1
06-03-2009, 18:38
I think within a list skinks can fulfil more roles than a lone sallie can, so I'd go skinks.

McMullet
06-03-2009, 18:52
I think if you currently have neither, the skinks are more versatile; if you already have either of them in a list, I'd take the other of the two next, for sure, rather than a duplicate. Salamanders are potentially more damaging (a good hit can really take a lot out of any unit of ranked, 1 wound models) but Skinks are very rarely devastating; there are those occasions where a single unit blowpipes a giant to death in one turn, but they aren't common.

On the other hand, while Salamanders are more likely to do something big, Skinks can be relied upon to do something useful during a game, whereas sallies may well find themselves doing nothing of consequence, if they're unlucky. That's why Skinks are better as an early buy, because whoever you face, whatever the plan is, the Skinks will probably find something to do. The Salamander is a great support unit though.

Desert Rain
06-03-2009, 20:10
It depends on what the rest of the army looks like. Salamanders and Skinks have 2 different roles to fulfill in the army, you can't really compare them just by using points.

blackjack
06-03-2009, 20:22
Ok lets say in theory you have two units of 10 skirmish skinks and 2 units of 1 salamanders already and 77pts left to spend. Do you spend the last 77pts on 1 more sali or 11 skirmish skinks?

crypt
06-03-2009, 20:24
Beside the point that you can't really compare two units just by their points I think Salamanders only work against specific armies, usually the ones with large blocks and not so high LD like skaven/o&g etc. Against others it can be a bit tricky

Necromancy Black
06-03-2009, 23:11
You need both. If you already have one, take the other.

These units are both great for different reasons. Good luck expecting a group of skinks to do a Salamanders job.