PDA

View Full Version : Help vs Thorek

Whitesox
06-03-2009, 19:50
Right I have played dwarfs a fair few times and have been pretty successful with my O&G (however not as successful as when using the last book.... but that’s a rant for another day) until my opponent started to use Thorek.

Normally I can deal with war machines with my wolf riders and such but this guy is proving to be very hard to kill... for the first 3 turns of a battle he blasts out D3 x 2D6 strength 4 hits per turn then when I’m at his lines his whole army either gets break and panic test re-rolls & immune to fear/terror or he goes for cheeky charges/movements to catch me out.

My giants get shot at with cannons, my wolf riders get zapped/flamed or organ gunned, my artillery gets shot at or suffers a miner attack.

I’m really struggling to come up with a combo that can take him down and is relatively cost efficient (I can’t go for a warlord on a wyvern due to needing the leadership in my own lines) and I don’t want the balance of my army to suffer because it needs to cope with a balanced dwarf list.

Any ideas?

Arguleon-veq
06-03-2009, 20:31
That is a tough one.

Maybe;

Nigt Gob Big Boss; 120
Great Squig,
Amulet of Protectyness,
One hit Wonder.

He cant be slowed by the Anvil thanks to his Boing movement, if he is hit he has a 1+ Save, I am not sure but he may also get the 4+ Ward as well. Will have to ask in the rules board about that really.

So he may be able to reach combat. When he does he has a very good shot of killing him.

It does depend onthat Ward and if the Anvil slows his random movment though.

DarkTerror
06-03-2009, 22:29
Tell your opponent to stop being cheesy.

No, really! Thork isn't balanced and makes for some ridiculous games. He should rarely be used in friendly games if you ask me. I'm guessing, but since you came here looking for advice on how to beat him, you may be frustrated with the model already.

Anyway, on to the battle. Whatever you do, don't bring a Wyvern. What good is it if it can't fly and gets zapped a few times before combat?

Unfortunately, without some luck you may be hosed. Any character on their lonesome (see squig rider above) is bound to get slaughtered by shooting (cannons, thunderers, quarellers) LONG before combat, and because they're expensive, they're worth it for your opponent to target even ahead of giants/chariots.

There are a variety of things you can use to destroy it (such as bolt throwers), but you're going to have to rely on a lot of luck with O&G's. Which brings me back to my original point:

Tell your opponent to knock it off. He already gets hatred against you, he does not need to use a cheesed-out special character. Sorry to tell you, but in this matchup even if you have far more skill than your opponent, you're STILL going to have to get a lot of luck to win.

Uphill battles await.